Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Matthew wrote:I do not agree with that at all.

What system are you using to view this, and is your TV calibrated?

Sony tv 46 inch and Samsung BD player. But with the other movies I have no problem.

With this one it's really bad. The DVD is better. Even the writings at the beginning of the movie, that have been added in 2001, are not sharp. The "turner" logo even flickers a bit. The only reason I can think of is that they used a printed copy of the 2001 to make this DB master and not the digital master one (since the ealry 90s masters are digital).

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Fabbe wrote:

Sony tv 46 inch and Samsung BD player. But with the other movies I have no problem.

With this one it's really bad. The DVD is better. Even the writings at the beginning of the movie, that have been added in 2001, are not sharp. The "turner" logo even flickers a bit. The only reason I can think of is that they used a printed copy of the 2001 to make this DB master and not the digital master one (since the ealry 90s masters are digital).

I have a 50" Plasma Panasonic and a Pioneer blu ray player and all what you say above is not the case on my system, No flickers and the writing is sharp as it could be, I even had a non Elvis fan watch it and he's words not mine (it looks like that film was made today not in the 70s) !!!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Got my copy last Friday. The outtakes are garbage as described before. The SE is not that bad but there is no significant improvement over the DVD. Like someone said, the overall picture is very dark, Elvis' hair blends a lot with the darker backgrounds, I compared it with the DVD and it's very plain to see. I Got A Woman is like Dan said overlighted or whatever, the flesh tone is simply more realistic on the DVD. The sound is good overall but certain songs have no bass line. Patch It Up lacks one completely. Others are very good, it's a strange release.
Just Pretend on the other hand really stood out and it was like watching 35mm slides almost, that crisp.

What can you say, it could and should have been much better. I don't care about the money it costst but I'm afraid this was probably one of the last TTWII projects, so we won't be getting much better and more complete in a hurry, I mean how many times can they keep doing this? Perhaps in 7 years another upgrade will be announced and we will hear that this time the outtakes will be in pristine quality for sure. Those of us who will still be around by then will look forward to the new release for months and upon release will see that somethow they ****** up yet again and that the tape couldn't be found once again. By then, I will have more of a R&B attitude and take it in stride.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Well, all I can say is that played on my Oppo BDP-103 through my calibrated Panasonic 55" VT-60 plasma, that the BluRay is overall a clear step-up from the DVD.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Matthew wrote:Well, all I can say is that played on my Oppo BDP-103 through my calibrated Panasonic 55" VT-60 plasma, that the BluRay is overall a clear step-up from the DVD.

I have a Samsung LED 3D television and Samsung blu ray player. I must say that I always watched the TTWII DVD on the blu ray player so it was already enhanced viewing.

To me, there's not much improvement and even some degradation with the very dark image, I'm glad you are happy though with the new release. The Blu Ray's I have of Love Me Tender, Viva Las Vegas and On Tour to me show what a blu ray should be like, a vast improvement and wow factor when viewing, I didn't get that with this TTWII release.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I think the factors at play here include a well produced original DVD, along with perhaps some high expectations on just what a HD presentation of 1970 film-stock would look like.

The original DVD looks very good to start with.

On Tour never had a DVD to compare to, just VHS and Laserdisc. And a lot of Elvis' movies that have previously appeared on DVD were not necessarily strong presentations to start with, that well produced BluRays of said films would highlight.

If people are satisfied with their DVD versions of the Special Edition there's nothing wrong with that, but I strongly disagree that the DVD, with all the limitations of the technology, looks better than the BluRay.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 pm

ep1977 wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

I have a 50" Plasma Panasonic and a Pioneer blu ray player and all what you say above is not the case on my system, No flickers and the writing is sharp as it could be, I even had a non Elvis fan watch it and he's words not mine (it looks like that film was made today not in the 70s) !!!

I am happy to know that you are satisfied with the prodcut. Unfortunatelly for me, I am not happy at all. The image is not good even for a film of the 1960 - I stress again detail is gone (it is not a matter of grain or stuff like that) I see more details and color nuances on the DVD. The difference is so big I might be able to take snapshop of the TV and it would still be visible.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Simon1 wrote:certain songs have no bass line. Patch It Up lacks one completely.

OMG! Please don't tell me they messed up again!
If there's no bass on certain songs it's a proof they just copied the SE without any quality check.

At this point I'm thinking about cancelling my order.
Which haven't been delivered by elvismatters.com by the way.
Slow service...

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Fabbe wrote:
ep1977 wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

I am happy to know that you are satisfied with the prodcut. Unfortunatelly for me, I am not happy at all. The image is not good even for a film of the 1960 - I stress again detail is gone (it is not a matter of grain or stuff like that) I see more details and color nuances on the DVD. The difference is so big I might be able to take snapshop of the TV and it would still be visible.

Repeated viewing has opened my eyes to the movie and it's enhanced colour and detail due to the Blu-ray format > I think it's fabulous! It's best viewed at night because the pic is dark and you can see more then...

It's STACKS better than the DVD version.It's a no-brainer!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 pm

im finally watching mine tonight! cant wait. interested to see how the outtakes look and sound, if they are any better at all. I really enjoy the pairing of Little Sister with Get Back.. id love to know the genesis behind that. was it elvis' idea? or a suggestion.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
ep1977 wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

Repeated viewing has opened my eyes to the movie and it's enhanced colour and detail due to the Blu-ray format > I think it's fabulous! It's best viewed at night because the pic is dark and you can see more then...

Do you have a home cinema set including subwoofer?
Can you check if Jerry Scheff can be heard during the song Patch it up in the SE bluray?
Just curious...

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:29 pm

If one sees Elvis' driving in to MGM at the beginning of the film. The Blu-ray shows the color blue shining off of his black car from the sky. This cannot be seen with the DVD version. That's just one quick example.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Matthew wrote:I think the factors at play here include a well produced original DVD, along with perhaps some high expectations on just what a HD presentation of 1970 film-stock would look like.

The original DVD looks very good to start with.

On Tour never had a DVD to compare to, just VHS and Laserdisc. And a lot of Elvis' movies that have previously appeared on DVD were not necessarily strong presentations to start with, that well produced BluRays of said films would highlight.

If people are satisfied with their DVD versions of the Special Edition there's nothing wrong with that, but I strongly disagree that the DVD, with all the limitations of the technology, looks better than the BluRay.

That's right. There is a significant improvement that is subtle at first but is plain to see after repeated viewing —— due to the DVD being great in the first place.

The detail on Elvis' jumpsuits —beads of perspiration on his face — The Imperials & Sweet Inspirations colourful outfits — promotional banners at the International Hotel — ALL are just some of the many improvements on Blu-ray...

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Robert wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
ep1977 wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

Can you check if Jerry Scheff can be heard during the song Patch it up in the SE bluray?
Just curious...

With a home cinema set and subwoofer here Robert....there's no bass on Patch It Up. Sorry to say.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Kylan wrote:im finally watching mine tonight! cant wait. interested to see how the outtakes look and sound, if they are any better at all. I really enjoy the pairing of Little Sister with Get Back.. id love to know the genesis behind that. was it elvis' idea? or a suggestion.

Not sure if you're serious or not here Kylan...but anyway, the outtakes are as horrendous as on the 2007 dvd and the Little Sister/Get Back outtake is just Little Sister.
The comments about pristine quality and new stuff by Feltenstein from Warner, was that his name? were nonsense.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 pm

oh ya i know, but im curious to see if i notice any improvement with blu-ray.. i doubt it.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Robert wrote:
Just curious...

With a home cinema set and subwoofer here Robert....there's no bass on Patch It Up. Sorry to say.

For f*ck sake. Thanks Simon.
That means no restoration has been done on the audio track and if you add up all the failures this release is just plain embarrassing.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Matthew wrote:
On Tour never had a DVD to compare to, just VHS and Laserdisc.

Yes it did.

I bought the DVD of On Tour before I got the Blu.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am

Robert wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Robert wrote:
Just curious...

That means no restoration has been done on the audio track and if you add up all the failures this release is just plain embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure they used the same master for the audio on the Blu-ray disc that was already used on the DVD. There really was no need for them to redo it, I guess, as the mix still sounds good. Compared to the DVD, the audio on the Blu-ray is quite a bit louder, though.

What I don't really understand is why some of you guys are always going on about "Patch It Up" having no bass. There's plenty of bass on that track (maybe a tad less than on some of the other songs). The bass is merely mixed into the front, center and rear channels. The subwoofer channel in the 5.1 mix of TTWII SE is empty and it has always been like that. The audio is in fact a 5.0 mix disguised as 5.1 as you can see in the screenshots below. 5.0 mixes are very common on concert DVDs and Blu-rays and I wonder why Warner thought they had to market the audio as 5.1 when it really isn't. Maybe the idea was that people might think that 5.0 is inferior to 5.1. It is not.

This is how the channels on the Blu-ray look like (from top to bottom: front left, front right, center, LFE, rear left, rear right):
TTWII SE BD audio.JPG

And this is what the audio on the DVD looks like:
TTWII SE DVD audio.JPG

The Blu-ray of Elvis on Tour, by the way, has a true 5.1 mix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:46 am

JRtherealJR wrote:Yes it did.

On Tour came out on DVD and BluRay at the same time, previously there had never been an official DVD release of it.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 am

JRtherealJR wrote:
Matthew wrote:
On Tour never had a DVD to compare to, just VHS and Laserdisc.

Yes it did.

They both came out at the same time, maybe you saw the DVD first?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:32 am

well the audio was superb! no complaints there, awesome!! as for the video, kinda weird. cant explain it but seemed it could have been better. the outtakes... pathetic! unbelievable.. i still dont get that whole debacle. they made the same mistake again? it seems... only Elvis. oh well. also i was thinking Are You Lonesome Tonight was gonna be at the end, but guess not.. just for the theaters..

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 am

Matthew wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:Yes it did.

On Tour came out on DVD and BluRay at the same time, previously there had never been an official DVD release of it.

That's correct. The import DVD was ripped from laser disc. The BD was obviously a major improvement over that.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 am

Rideon wrote:
Robert wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Robert wrote:
Just curious...

I'm pretty sure they used the same master for the audio on the Blu-ray disc that was already used on the DVD. There really was no need for them to redo it, I guess, as the mix still sounds good. Compared to the DVD, the audio on the Blu-ray is quite a bit louder, though.

What I don't really understand is why some of you guys are always going on about "Patch It Up" having no bass. There's plenty of bass on that track (maybe a tad less than on some of the other songs). The bass is merely mixed into the front, center and rear channels. The subwoofer channel in the 5.1 mix of TTWII SE is empty and it has always been like that. The audio is in fact a 5.0 mix disguised as 5.1 as you can see in the screenshots below. 5.0 mixes are very common on concert DVDs and Blu-rays and I wonder why Warner thought they had to market the audio as 5.1 when it really isn't. Maybe the idea was that people might think that 5.0 is inferior to 5.1. It is not.

This is how the channels on the Blu-ray look like (from top to bottom: front left, front right, center, LFE, rear left, rear right):
TTWII SE BD audio.JPG

And this is what the audio on the DVD looks like:
TTWII SE DVD audio.JPG

The Blu-ray of Elvis on Tour, by the way, has a true 5.1 mix.

Thanks Rideon.
But how to explain the cool bass sound coming out of my sub on all songs.
Except for Patch it up?

Cheers, Robert

That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:31 am

Matthew wrote:Well, all I can say is that played on my Oppo BDP-103 through my calibrated Panasonic 55" VT-60 plasma, that the BluRay is overall a clear step-up from the DVD.

It really doesn't say much for the Blu Ray if you have to have a very expensive player and calibrated TV to see a 'clear step-up from the DVD'.

A $100 player and decent HD TV is adequate enough to see clear improvement on proper DVD to Blu Ray conversions.