Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 am

TINML wrote:I bought a ticket for the showing on Wednesday. How are the crowds? Do these events do well at the box office ?

I live in Monmouth County, NJ. Theater was about 1/4 full on a Sunday afternoon.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 am

I saw it today in the theater. There were about 15 people total in the theater. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" (a live 1970 version with the bald head reference) ran during the credit outro in which Presley is seen chatting with Cary Grant and Sammy Davis. No bonus tracks were shown.

Schmidlin did a great job creating excitement with fast editing back in 2000. But Schmidlin's 2000 re-imagining of the live concert segment, at a minimum, should have also included "Bridge Over Trouble Water,"' "Walk A Mile in My Shoes" and "I Just Can't Help Believing." Their inclusion would have added another 10-12 minutes to the total run time.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:03 am

I saw it today in the theater as well. Only 10 people total, and 7 were my group.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 am

I guess my city was an exception today. The theatre had 75-100 people. Let's face it very little to no publicity about the showing. I was really surprised how many people were there today.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 am

There were about 50 people at this afternoon's showing in Paducah, Kentucky. The projectionist forgot to turn on the audio and there was no sound for the first minute of the film.
I saw the first Schmidlin edit at Elvis Week in 2000. It was great to hear "Are You Lonesome Tonight" in the film again - but disappointing to not see the footage of Elvis in his jumpsuit playing the electric guitar...
Also, no outtakes were shown. How does the quality of the outtakes on the new release compare to the first attempt to put out this footage?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 am

TINML wrote:I bought a ticket for the showing on Wednesday. How are the crowds? Do these events do well at the box office ?

About 15 people at mine today.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 am

Watched the second screening on Saturday in Bad Nauheim with about 50 - 100 people. Even the screening the day before was reportedly well attended. No outtakes were shown for obvious reasons.

Enjoyed the movie once again (didn't watch it in years), despite Schmidlin's decision to leave out "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'". Cancelled my order of the blu-ray for now.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Watched the second screening on Saturday in Bad Nauheim with about 50 - 100 people. Even the screening the day before was reportedly well attended. No outtakes were shown for obvious reasons.

Enjoyed the movie once again (didn't watch it in years), despite Schmidlin's decision to leave out "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'". Cancelled my order of the blu-ray for now.

Shame on you, I have cancelled my order as well :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 am

I hope there are a few people at the showing tomorrow. I know we have one at 2PM and at 7PM (which is the one I'm going to).

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 am

Sounds like exactly nothing new has been added. Why bother?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 am

r&b wrote:Sounds like exactly nothing new has been added. Why bother?

Just getting the SE on Blu-Ray makes me happy. The quality is AMAZING.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:36 am

You could say that about other blu-rays. For example, Jailhouse Rock on Blu. Why bother, nothing new.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:21 am

Elvislover813 wrote:

Just getting the SE on Blu-Ray makes me happy. The quality is AMAZING.

That' right. Watched it again last night and it's just brilliant. The excited young girl on the left during the audience walk...SO many details never seen before...Jumpsuit detail too. And Elvis's voice sounds even better.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 pm

L Ray wrote:

You could say that about other blu-rays. For example, Jailhouse Rock on Blu. Why bother, nothing new.

Yes but they greatly improved the quality. Im not getting that vibe on this blu-ray. Sounds like the DVD will suffice. I for one, am sick of buying the same product over & over.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:27 pm

r&b wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Yes but they greatly improved the quality. Im not getting that vibe on this blu-ray. Sounds like the DVD will suffice. I for one, am sick of buying the same product over & over.

Yes. EPE banks on 50,000,000 Elvis fans will buy 50,000,000 Elvis products 50,000,000 times.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
r&b wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Yes. EPE banks on 50,000,000 Elvis fans will buy 50,000,000 Elvis products 50,000,000 times.

Sadly, most do, and then try to justify it one reason or another. My favorite is to support the label so they wont stop releasing product. Its 2014. Does anyone really thing product will cease if it hasnt by now? No, you will buy this at least 3 more times in your lifetime.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:47 pm

r&b wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
r&b wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Sadly, most do, and then try to justify it one reason or another. My favorite is to support the label so they wont stop releasing product. Its 2014. Does anyone really thing product will cease if it hasnt by now? No, you will buy this at least 3 more times in your lifetime.
Ha Ha. Support the label, so they won't stop releasing the SAME product over and over.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:33 pm

r&b wrote:Yes but they greatly improved the quality. Im not getting that vibe on this blu-ray. Sounds like the DVD will suffice.

It would be good to somehow audition the HD master of the Special Edition before drawing this conclusion.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm

I don't know what on earth you're all talking about. To me, the picture quality is GREATLY improved.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:17 am

Matthew wrote:
r&b wrote:Yes but they greatly improved the quality. Im not getting that vibe on this blu-ray. Sounds like the DVD will suffice.

It would be good to somehow audition the HD master of the Special Edition before drawing this conclusion.

I will wait until this is reviewed in EAMAHM. They are always honest but knowing the fact that the outtakes are still crap , and the original 'real' movie is still standard DVD, I am not so anxious to just get the SE on blu-ray just for the sake of having it on blu-ray. No Lost Performances, no upgrade to the outtakes. This all bugs me. Over zealous fans on this and other forums will give it raves to justify their purchase(again). Its happened before.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 am

Having it on BluRay is not the point for me, having the Special Edition (at least) in high definition is a win.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Spinout wrote:I saw it today in the theater as well. Only 10 people total, and 7 were my group.

This makes me feel sad and it shows once again that EPE/WARNER/SONY are clueless :roll:.

They are more that aware, that the biggest Elvis fandom in the world is based in Europe, mainly in: Germany/UK/Netherlands & France. Why donĀ“t they do some showings over here in Europe? :shock:. I am almost sure that those cinemas would not be empty!. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:43 am

r&b wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I will wait until this is reviewed in EAMAHM. They are always honest but knowing the fact that the outtakes are still crap , and the original 'real' movie is still standard DVD, I am not so anxious to just get the SE on blu-ray just for the sake of having it on blu-ray. No Lost Performances, no upgrade to the outtakes. This all bugs me. Over zealous fans on this and other forums will give it raves to justify their purchase(again). Its happened before.

Nonsense my friend, pure nonsense. Just got the Blu-ray today. If had been by itself with no original movie and no extras, I still would have paid the $19.59. It is outstanding. Worth every penny and then some.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:14 am

L Ray wrote:
r&b wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Nonsense my friend, pure nonsense. Just got the Blu-ray today. If had been by itself with no original movie and no extras, I still would have paid the $19.59. It is outstanding. Worth every penny and then some.

Thank you, I totally agree!!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Elvislover813 wrote:I don't know what on earth you're all talking about. To me, the picture quality is GREATLY improved.

The Blu-ray looks excellent , and even though it 's only on DVD , the original film looks really good to me as well.