Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

So nobody over here attented the Insiders Conference? :shock:. No words on why the outtakes were used again on shitty video quality? :roll:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm hoping someone is in Memphis, and can report back to us if the outtakes on the Blu-ray were discussed.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:08 pm

For folks that emailed Feltenstein about the poor video quality of the outtakes, did he provide any feedback on what happened?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:11 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:For folks that emailed Feltenstein about the poor video quality of the outtakes, did he provide any feedback on what happened?

Not to me,and i didnt excpect any reply either. (I wrote a polite email)
That would meant that he had to admit that he or the company made a mistake,and they will never do that :?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:For folks that emailed Feltenstein about the poor video quality of the outtakes, did he provide any feedback on what happened?

That would meant that he had to admit that he or the company made a mistake,and they will never do that :?

Ironically, Feltenstein did admit that Warner Bros made mistake when they issued the outtakes in 2007 in poor quality because they lost the master outtakes edit tape.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:54 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:

Ironically, Feltenstein did admit that Warner Bros made mistake when they issued the outtakes in 2007 in poor quality because they lost the master outtakes edit tape.

Yes,and thats probaly the reason they dont comment on this now....they made many mistakes on this release over the years.
Back in december 2000 we were promised outtakes on the SE dvd but pulled later due to money issue.
Then the first dvd release had the bonus outtakes listed on dvd cover but was not on the disc itself.....the release was withdrawn and
got a new release date....2 months later. (some got the dvd with the error,me included)
Then we have the 2007 outtake story............that returned for the 2014 release.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:06 am

I've been enjoying the new TTWII Blu-ray for a couple of days. The outtakes and the 'Patch It Up' short about the making of the Special Edition should have been in Blu-ray quality here. However, the film looks mighty handsome to my eyes, and sounds fabulous. "MysteryTrain/ Tigerman" is fantastic, colours seem to pop like never before with costumes and audience members outfits much brighter in colour.

The Elvis 50 banners standout at every opportunity, promoting the vinyl album--check the showroom entrance during a gorgeous long shot--plus the brochure/flyers again promoting the Elvis 50 RCA Golden hits LP which can be seen at tables during the 'Love Me Tender' walk--with a fan on the right clutching a copy.

During James Burton's solo on "Wonder Of You," I noticed his patterned white outfit, which is not noticible on the former DVD. Besides the pale blue of Elvis's moustache bridge on his Gibson guitar on "I' Got A Woman" - and Elvis himself stands out > great performance! Likewise, all of the on-stage footage. The "Love Me Tender" audience walk is enhanced by the sound of Elvis kissing female audience members and their comments are clearer and more audible. The whole movie has got a quality about it...

Also of note is Jerry Scheff's excellent bass playing that's even tighter on the Blu-ray format > listen at the end of "Love Me Tender" Wow!

And the "Polk Salad Annie" intro sounds great. Plus James Burton's wah-wah guitar is enhanced a little. Ditto Ronnie Tutt's excellent drum work on all the live tracks...

More: check Elvis just before he visits the first table during LMT > Wow! The picture is SO good and clear and defined.

A big loss is the original movie TTWII 1970 is not in Blu-ray! Maybe we will get it on an ultimate deluxe edition someday but for now I'll take this and enjoy it...

IMG_3436.JPG

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:04 am

Nice mini-review. Amazon has not even shipped mine yet!?!? Oh well, will see it in the theater next Wed.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:07 am

I watched it last night and while I enjoy the movie, I really don't see much improvement in the picture and definitely not in the sound. I read the reviews here but I was still holding out some hope for improvement, but unfortunately, I don't see it.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 am

Just did a 5.1 rip to test multi's, and for separation, the mix is kind of a shame. The Imperials and Sweets have an "almost" channel each to themselves, and some of the band have one together. But one thing I did notice is that the bass channel looked pretty empty.

Not to mention the fact that the outtakes look like garbage.

There is no excuse for this. Elvis deserves better, and so do all of us fans who take the time to support these releases. Hell, they could Kickstarter the s.o.b. if they're that worried about cost.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:52 am

Just been to the Memphis screening of That's The Way It Is on the big screen - there was a false start as the movie was halted due to digital error causing purple stripes appearing on the screen. The movie was rebooted and this was fine, though the audio was muffled - the picture quality was the best I've seen it. Great atmosphere. There was an intermission with the Imperials then the second part of the movie, with the audio improving slightly. Then some of the outtakes were screened, quality was very poor.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 am

davide wrote:Just been to the Memphis screening of That's The Way It Is on the big screen - there was a false start as the movie was halted due to digital error causing purple stripes appearing on the screen. The movie was rebooted and this was fine, though the audio was muffled - the picture quality was the best I've seen it. Great atmosphere. There was an intermission with the Imperials then the second part of the movie, with the audio improving slightly. Then some of the outtakes were screened, quality was very poor.

David

Yep, I'd go along with that, no difference in picture quality for the out takes.
Still fabulous to see him on a whopping size screen though....;-)

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:13 am

davide wrote:Just been to the Memphis screening of That's The Way It Is on the big screen - there was a false start as the movie was halted due to digital error causing purple stripes appearing on the screen. The movie was rebooted and this was fine, though the audio was muffled - the picture quality was the best I've seen it. Great atmosphere. There was an intermission with the Imperials then the second part of the movie, with the audio improving slightly. Then some of the outtakes were screened, quality was very poor.

David

Thanks Davide.

Love the photos too— The ladder jumpsuit looks fabulous in the movie.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:23 am

L Ray wrote:Nice mini-review. Amazon has not even shipped mine yet!?!? Oh well, will see it in the theater next Wed.

Thanks

Now updated.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 am

JamieAKelley wrote:Just did a 5.1 rip to test multi's, and for separation, the mix is kind of a shame. The Imperials and Sweets have an "almost" channel each to themselves, and some of the band have one together. But one thing I did notice is that the bass channel looked pretty empty.

There is no excuse for this. Elvis deserves better, and so do all of us fans who take the time to support these releases. Hell, they could Kickstarter the s.o.b. if they're that worried about cost.

I agree the audio mix could have been much better, should have hooked up with Sony IMO. However, to my ears it is an improvement with more weight to drums and a bass track. My sub definately kicks in which it didn't on the original dvd. I also think the picture is better although strangely it lacks some of the wow factor that I got on some of the concertshots in EOT. Not sure if that is just on tour footage has that extra excitment value rather than shots of people tucking into dinner! So I think its worth the money but as ever it could and should have been so much better.

But what do we do? If we boycott releases like this, Warner may decide there is no value in providing a release. If we do buy they think its ok to churn out sub standard product. Feels like a rock and a hard place to me. The only long term hope I can see is if EPE buy the rights.

cheers

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:53 am

Jamie wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:Just did a 5.1 rip to test multi's, and for separation, the mix is kind of a shame. The Imperials and Sweets have an "almost" channel each to themselves, and some of the band have one together. But one thing I did notice is that the bass channel looked pretty empty.

I agree the audio mix could have been much better, should have hooked up with Sony IMO. However, to my ears it is an improvement with more weight to drums and a bass track. My sub definately kicks in which it didn't on the original dvd. I also think the picture is better although strangely it lacks some of the wow factor that I got on some of the concertshots in EOT. Not sure if that is just on tour footage has that extra excitment value rather than shots of people tucking into dinner! So I think its worth the money but as ever it could and should have been so much better.

But what do we do? If we boycott releases like this, Warner may decide there is no value in providing a release. If we do buy they think its ok to churn out sub standard product. Feels like a rock and a hard place to me. The only long term hope I can see is if EPE buy the rights.

cheers

Maybe by not including hi-def outtakes and NOT remastering the original movie, they've left the door open for a possible deluxe edition further down the road...

But we needed it now...

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 pm

I agree that the new blu ray looks more cinematic now it has been enhanced. After watching it I was pleasantly surprised with how good and sharp the film actually looks and sounds after reading comments here. I wont go into the outtakes argument and some of the finer details of sound, and also comparing the original version of TTWII to the updated version. But I suppose with all the faults I'm just glad we have this in blu ray at all!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:21 pm

I'd be happy if they delivered what they said they were going to with this release, in particular regarding the outtakes.

They didn't.

At least the 2001 feature is upgraded, it's a bone. I can't imagine there will be another disc release of this material and very much suspect This Is The Way It Is folks.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Jamie wrote:

cheers

Oh, I agree. Not a lot we have the power to do, especially with WB. Whether it's Elvis, Superman, or whatever, they've shown that they just don't care what fans think.

I almost wish they thought the footage was worthless so they'd sell it. But that's not WB's policy, either. Lazy AND greedy is a crappy combination for fans.

The one thing I will do is never buy WB product at full price, and wait to hear reviews. It's not much, but if they don't care anyway.... I can at least return the favor. ;)

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

After two days, tick, tock... :roll:.

So knowing that we have several U.S Elvis fans over here on FECC and that probably attended the Insider Conference during the Elvis week. Nobody can really report here what was said on that day about those crappy outtakes? :shock:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:29 pm

David

What songs where shown as outtakes?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 am

Johnny2523 wrote:

David

What songs where shown as outtakes?

Yeah, I am wondering that too. Also, I went to see the film in a theater near me. No outtakes were shown but at the end as the credits rolled and the opening night party footage run one side of the screen, Elvis signing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from the 8/12 MS played in the background. This differs from the DVD from 2001 and 2007.

Anyone else notice this who saw it in theaters? Is that the way it is on the new Blu-Ray disc?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:25 am

Yes was going to go on Wed. but went today instead. At my theater they had the Lonesome Tonight ending, very cool. The theater presentation was really great. Great picture with great sound and played loud but not too loud. My Blu-ray should be here in a couple of days, as my card has been charged finally. If it is good as what I saw today, I'll be very pleased. :D

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:26 am

I've just got a report from one of my friends who saw it today to, that indeed are you lonesome tonight was heard during the credits.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:58 am

I bought a ticket for the showing on Wednesday. How are the crowds? Do these events do well at the box office ?