Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:12 am

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think its worth repeating that Feltenstein's comments that the outtakes would "look and sound much better" than the 2007 DVD were taken from a Graceland.com podcast interview from June 20 - a podcast which, last I checked, had been removed from that site. In the excerpts that are often pasted here on the forum, the Graceland.com podcast source is usually not mentioned so it makes it sound more like a WB press release or official statement. That's not to say his spoken words shouldn't carry weight, but I think it's an important distinction.

Regarding the Blu-ray, I've not yet opened it, but I noted with amusement that the back cover refers to the 1970 version only as Elvis, while the "2001" version is noted as Elvis: That's The Way It Is. As if that title didn't come along until then. I know the original 1970 working title was Elvis prior to a formal title being determined for its original release, but to revert to calling it that now is revisionist history (or a bizarre mistake). [Edit: This mistake appears only on the "removable" back cover sheet. The true back cover and everywhere else the movie is named correctly.]
Last edited by Ty@TheFilmFrontier on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:50 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think its worth repeating that Feltenstein's comments that the outtakes would "look and sound much better" than the 2007 DVD were taken from a Graceland.com podcast interview from June 20 - a podcast which, last I checked, had been removed from that site. In the excerpts that are often pasted here on the forum, the Graceland.com podcast source is usually not mentioned so it makes it sound more like a WB press release or official statement. That's not to say his spoken words shouldn't carry weight, but I think it's an important distinction.

Feltenstein is representative of Warner Brothers who was promoting the release and speaking on behalf of the company to Elvis consumers. He publicly stated that an upgraded source in impressive quality would be delivered for the outtakes on the Blu Ray. His words should carry weight and Warners should step up and deliver. An explanation is owed to fans who bought this Blu Ray and didn't receive what they were promised by a marketing representative who was speaking on behalf of the company trying to promote the release and encourage consumers to purchase it.
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:01 am

Matthew wrote:The outtakes image quality is marginally improved, i.e less pixelated, but this isn't saying much. It still looks like a bad VHS source.

Also, it appears a PAL source (I'm guessing) for the outtakes has been used, as they all play too fast.

I agree with the above assessment. Though they are not exactly impressive, the outtakes on the Blu-ray are definitely improved over the 2007 DVD (and 2014 DVD reissues) in terms of visual quality. However, as Matthew noted, they run too fast. I'd call it a complete embarrassment for Warner Brothers, but I'm not sure they care enough to be embarrassed at this point. It seems par for the course on their Elvis documentary releases. On the plus side, the SE itself looks great.

Maybe they'll get it right for the 2021 reissue. . . .

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Questions for experts: Did MGM film all 6 shows complete from start to finish? Was at least one MGM camera running at all times during the 6 shows to allow for 100% coverage of the shows? Or did they only partially film the shows? For example, are there some songs for which zero or incomplete footage exists? If Warner wanted to issue a complete Blu Ray multi disc box set of all TTWII footage at some point down the road, in theory, how complete could each of the 6 shows be from start to finish (obviously the audio is complete)? If each show was incompletely filmed, do we know the specific songs each night that were filmed from start to finish?

Thanks!
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm not an expert by any means but I can share with you what I have seen from The Complete Works boxset and even the 30+ dvd set that came out several years ago or "escaped" as somebody used to say lol.

I don't think they filmed complete shows which I hope someone else can clarify why? I don't understand why they didn't because to me it's not like they were short on film so unlike a bootlegger this should not have been an issue. So I'm not really sure if MGM would ever choose to release a complete boxset of all the concerts they have since they probably could not release them beginning to end like we would like. However if they released each show of what they have of good footage, I would imagine it would maybe be like the Lost Performances with fade in fade out scenes. But there are some songs where the shots are not complete. LIke for instance they shot Elvis' shoes or atleast that's the main footage that exists that I've seen for like Walk A MIle in My Shoes from August 12 MS. So I'm not sure if they have any footage showing him singing which again is weird because you would think someone would have been shooting him from the waist up. Now again what I have seen there are clearly songs that are not complete and only show parts of a song like the Next Step is Love from August 10th. From the last refrain to the end of the song exists. Why just that little bit was filmed by the one camera seems weird to?

As I said I'm no expert but maybe someone can fill in the details more even about what I'm describing and why it was done that way. However again if MGM really wanted to release each show like they did in the cd format, it could be done but I don't think it would be a start to finish show but a fade in and out like Lost Performances which I would be content with if the footage was good. And that's another question why MGM is working with such crappy quality footage any more and what happen to the stuff that either was used in TTWII SE or even Lost Performances?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:14 pm

DJL wrote:I'm not an expert by any means but I can share with you what I have seen from The Complete Works boxset and even the 30+ dvd set that came out several years ago or "escaped" as somebody used to say lol.

I don't think they filmed complete shows which I hope someone else can clarify why? I don't understand why they didn't because to me it's not like they were short on film so unlike a bootlegger this should not have been an issue. So I'm not really sure if MGM ever chose to release a complete boxset of all the concerts they have they would be able to do them from start to finish. However if they released each show of what they have of good footage it would I imagine maybe be like the Lost Performances with fade in fade out scenes. For instance there are some songs where they shot Elvis' feet or atleast that the main footage that exists that I've seen for like Walk A MIle in My Shoes for August 12 MS. So I'm not sure if they have any footage showing him which again is weird because you would think someone would have been shooting him from the waist up. Now again what I have seen there are clearly songs that are not complete and only show parts of a song like the Next Step is Love from August 10th. From the last refrain to the end of the song exists. Why just that little bit was filmed by the one camera seems weird to.

As I said I'm no expert but maybe someone can fill in the details more even about what I'm describing and why it was done that way. However again if MGM really wanted to release each show like they did in the cd format, it could be done but I don't think it would be a start to finish show but a fade in and out like Lost Performances which I would be content with if the footage was good. And that's another question why MGM is working with such crappy quality footage any more and what happen to the stuff that either was used in TTWII SE or even Lost Performances.

Thanks! How many 35mm cameras did MGM have in place during the 6 shows? Did the Complete Works set have access to all negatives from each of the MGM cameras in the multi-camera shoot during the 6 shows? If not, then the Complete Works may not be representative of all the footage that was filmed during the 6 shows.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Maybe I'm deaf, but I hear no bass on Patch It Up..Can anyone confirm!?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Joe_E. wrote:Maybe I'm deaf, but I hear no bass on Patch It Up..Can anyone confirm!?

I'm skipping the blu ray but I read on another forum that the mix on the BR is the same as the 2001 edit. Just in lossless audio.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
DJL wrote:I'm not an expert by any means but I can share with you what I have seen from The Complete Works boxset and even the 30+ dvd set that came out several years ago or "escaped" as somebody used to say lol.

I don't think they filmed complete shows which I hope someone else can clarify why? I don't understand why they didn't because to me it's not like they were short on film so unlike a bootlegger this should not have been an issue. So I'm not really sure if MGM ever chose to release a complete boxset of all the concerts they have they would be able to do them from start to finish. However if they released each show of what they have of good footage it would I imagine maybe be like the Lost Performances with fade in fade out scenes. For instance there are some songs where they shot Elvis' feet or atleast that the main footage that exists that I've seen for like Walk A MIle in My Shoes for August 12 MS. So I'm not sure if they have any footage showing him which again is weird because you would think someone would have been shooting him from the waist up. Now again what I have seen there are clearly songs that are not complete and only show parts of a song like the Next Step is Love from August 10th. From the last refrain to the end of the song exists. Why just that little bit was filmed by the one camera seems weird to.

As I said I'm no expert but maybe someone can fill in the details more even about what I'm describing and why it was done that way. However again if MGM really wanted to release each show like they did in the cd format, it could be done but I don't think it would be a start to finish show but a fade in and out like Lost Performances which I would be content with if the footage was good. And that's another question why MGM is working with such crappy quality footage any more and what happen to the stuff that either was used in TTWII SE or even Lost Performances.

Thanks! How many 35mm cameras did MGM have in place during the 6 shows? Did the Complete Works set have access to all negatives from each of the MGM cameras in the multi-camera shoot during the 6 shows? If not, then the Complete Works may not be representative of all the footage that was filmed during the 6 shows.

I believe the complete works was compiled from all older bootleg releases out there and put together.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:20 pm

TINML wrote:
Joe_E. wrote:Maybe I'm deaf, but I hear no bass on Patch It Up..Can anyone confirm!?

I'm skipping the blu ray but I read on another forum that the mix on the BR is the same as the 2001 edit. Just in lossless audio.

That can't be true, the Brass on Patch It Up is way too low on the DVD, it's mixed higher on the Blu Ray, and it sounds a lot better for it.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Dan_T wrote:That can't be true, the Brass on Patch It Up is way too low on the DVD, it's mixed higher on the Blu Ray, and it sounds a lot better for it.

Are you referring to brass or bass?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Brass !

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Dan_T wrote:Brass !

Joe_E. is asking about bass.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Can someone else confirm if the Blu Ray has a new audio mix or just the lossless version of the 2001 mix?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Matthew wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Brass !

Joe_E. is asking about bass.

I was answering TINML, and the fact he'd heard the mix was the same as the 2001 DVD. It can't be the same.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 pm

To be honest I've haven't played the 2001 version for years but I do know the mix had no bass track what so ever. Well it had no LFE track and what bass was in the mix itself was minimal. This mix must have been done by Jerry and Ronnie's family as it has bags of bass and drums. Now I haven't switched my sub off to check whether they have simply added the missing LFE track from the original (I'll try that tomorrow) but it feels like a new mix. I am not saying it is great though as the guitars are not forward enough for my taste. But I would say it certainly sounds different to the DVD. That could be due to HD and the LFE track and/or a new mix I guess.

Cheers

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 am

I just compared one of the outtakes (TTWII) which is/was also available some time ago "Lost Performances" Laserdisc. The "Baby Let's Play House" Laserdisc version is head and shoulders better than the Blu-ray! It has color,detail and is in focus contrary to the outtake from the Blu-ray. They should have remastered it from the Laserdisc if the source tape(s) was misplaced or lost. The Blu-Ray has pitch problems(fast) on the first (outtakes) song. I haven't really checked the others sound-wise yet...

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:18 am

Juan Luis wrote:I just compared one of the outtakes (TTWII) which is/was also available some time ago "Lost Performances" Laserdisc. The "Baby Let's Play House" Laserdisc version is head and shoulders better than the Blu-ray! It has color,detail and is in focus contrary to the outtake from the Blu-ray. They should have remastered it from the Laserdisc if the source tape(s) was misplaced or lost. The Blu-Ray has pitch problems(fast) on the first (outtakes) song. I haven't really checked the others sound-wise yet...

I'd love to The Lost Performances put out on DVD. It is excellent stuff.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 am

Juan Luis wrote:They should have remastered it from the Laserdisc if the source tape(s) was misplaced or lost. The Blu-Ray has pitch problems(fast) on the first (outtakes) song. I haven't really checked the others sound-wise yet...

They're all appalling quality on the new release.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:45 am

Did Lost Performances ever come out widescreen?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:56 am

Matthew wrote:Did Lost Performances ever come out widescreen?
No. 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't think any pan & scan for TTWII either. Especially good for the 16mm EOT outtakes. The 4:3 framing actually blows the image up a bit. Here's 2 iPhone photos I took of my screen from the Laserdisc...ImageImage

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:52 am

I have it on VHS but haven't watched it in years.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:06 am

Matthew wrote:I have it on VHS but haven't watched it in years.

Me neither but I might record it on a DVD-R with a DVD recorder pretty soon - IF I can find and dig out the VHS in my basement. :shock:

Still I must say I'm disappointed. Going to watch the Blu-ray either tonight or tomorrow on a big screen in Bad Nauheim.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 am

Jamie wrote:This mix must have been done by Jerry and Ronnie's family as it has bags of bass and drums.

Well, that brings a smile on my face.. can't wait to hear it :wink:

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:I have it on VHS but haven't watched it in years.

Me neither but I might record it on a DVD-R with a DVD recorder pretty soon - IF I can find and dig out the VHS in my basement. :shock:

Still I must say I'm disappointed. Going to watch the Blu-ray either tonight or tomorrow on a big screen in Bad Nauheim.

An import DVD featuring a rip from the LD has been around for years. It's pretty good.