Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 am

thatsallright wrote:
Spinout wrote:I saw it today in the theater as well. Only 10 people total, and 7 were my group.


How pathetic is that? Elvis fans dwindling in number. Sad.


I think it's more to do with a crappy marketing campaign. Most folks probably didn't even know it was happening.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:56 am

Just saw it at my theater in Shreveport. The sound was a joke. Beyond pathetic. I should charge 10 bucks a pop to see it on my modest home theater blu. Would blow that experience out of the water.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

DJL wrote:Also I still don't get why Tom Brown argues that the original footage is lost for the outtakes?.


At least somebody tells us what happened during the discussion of the screeing of TTWII, which by they way I have been asking for more than a week :shock:.

DJL wrote:Leaving Memphis today and I have to say I enjoyed the trip and will try to share some exciting things going on here. I came down to see TTWII on the big screen so I missed most of the Elvis Week stuff. The film was pretty cool but mostly because of the reaction of the fans during the show. Very awesome! But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark. He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.


Please keep sharing those exciting things going on there ::rocks. Any further news on FTD?. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Kylan wrote:Just saw it at my theater in Shreveport. The sound was a joke. Beyond pathetic. I should charge 10 bucks a pop to see it on my modest home theater blu. Would blow that experience out of the water.

Same happened during the On Tour screening.
Seems like nothing beats the home cinema experience, from an audio perspective;)

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:44 pm

TCK_KING wrote:Ordered the blu-ray from "dvdpacific" 2 weeks ago but still havent got it.
No idea how long it will take to europe......maybe shipped by boat :?


Mine arrived in UK whilst I was away in Memphis....

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm

DJL wrote:I know I asked this question before in regards to the song "Little Sister/Get Back". I was confused why a cd can have the song while the video is more difficult. I sord of understand that now thanks to some help by members on here. My question now is in regards to this copyright issue again for video. So if they don't have the rights to Get Back and have to cut up the outtake like they did, why is it that the rehearsal version from June/July? as seen in the film is complete? Should it not also be all cut up?

Also I still don't get why Tom Brown argues that the original footage is lost for the outtakes? When it comes to some of the outtakes such as "I Just Can't Help Believin'" and "I've Lost You", could they not just have hd those songs from the original movie on dvd rather than using the super dark versions they have on the outtakes? Lord knows those are great improvement from the outtakes

Leaving Memphis today and I have to say I enjoyed the trip and will try to share some exciting things going on here. I came down to see TTWII on the big screen so I missed most of the Elvis Week stuff. The film was pretty cool but mostly because of the reaction of the fans during the show. Very awesome! But at the show Tom Brown hosted and explained that the WB Turner couldn't find the originals for the outtakes and that's why they are so dark. He continued to explain that Elvis fans don't care about that. We just love him and can listen to him anyway possible from a scratchy 45 to an 8 tracks to cassettes, we will take him anyway we can because it's ELvis. Nice cover up and of course the audience applauded him.


Yep, I can attest to that too.....he's a funny guy.....but he's also very, very clever at doing the 'us' and 'them' scenario to keep the fans onboard, and believing that he's on 'our' side.......but listening to Joel and then cornering him after the Insiders event I bluntly told him I didn't believe him and it was all about the money......total s*it he came out with.....when you see the prices and the 'Founders' fees for the new hotel.....its 'ALL' about the $$$

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:16 am

debtd1,

How cool you were in Memphis! I was sitting next to a couple at the TTWII event from the UK and we had a cool conversation about how much they were enjoying Elvis Week. I was only able to make it to Memphis starting on Saturday, August 16th due to my work schedule. So I can't comment on the event that occurred early in the week. Were you at that one with Tom Brown and did he make any remarks about FTD releases come out?

Another issue that was sad and annoying was the error that occurred when they began showing TTWII on the big screen. I actually have a picture I will post hopefully if I can get my photobucket account working to show you guys. There were all kinds of red lines in it. And they actually had to stop the film and start over again. Very awkward but the people were kind about it.

They had on display the Red Ladder suit and a fringe suit but I don't think it was the one from Opening Night 1970 on display in the Orpheum.

I got my TTWII bluray when I came back from Memphis and just watching the outtakes now. Did anyone comment about Walk A Mile in My Shoes is not from one complete show any more ??? But it's actually both shows that this song is spliced together and I hate to be mean but I would say poorly at that. You can see the outfits on the Sweets changing from White to Yellow to white. So weird. What happened to the version from The Lost Performances? Did anyone else notice this? Also I know it was mentioned about the voice sped up, do we know why though?

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 am

DJL wrote:debtd1,

How cool you were in Memphis! I was sitting next to a couple at the TTWII event from the UK and we had a cool conversation about how much they were enjoying Elvis Week. I was only able to make it to Memphis starting on Saturday, August 16th due to my work schedule. So I can't comment on the event that occurred early in the week. Were you at that one with Tom Brown and did he make any remarks about FTD releases come out?

Another issue that was sad and annoying was the error that occurred when they began showing TTWII on the big screen. I actually have a picture I will post hopefully if I can get my photobucket account working to show you guys. There were all kinds of red lines in it. And they actually had to stop the film and start over again. Very awkward but the people were kind about it.

They had on display the Red Ladder suit and a fringe suit but I don't think it was the one from Opening Night 1970 on display in the Orpheum.

I got my TTWII bluray when I came back from Memphis and just watching the outtakes now. Did anyone comment about Walk A Mile in My Shoes is not from one complete show any more ??? But it's actually both shows that this song is spliced together and I hate to be mean but I would say poorly at that. You can see the outfits on the Sweets changing from White to Yellow to white. So weird. What happened to the version from The Lost Performances? Did anyone else notice this? Also I know it was mentioned about the voice sped up, do we know why though?


You know TTWII Blu-ray is the main course but after watching the poor selection of outtakes and reading all the comments, it is a total travesty!

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 pm

DJL wrote:debtd1,

How cool you were in Memphis! I was sitting next to a couple at the TTWII event from the UK and we had a cool conversation about how much they were enjoying Elvis Week. I was only able to make it to Memphis starting on Saturday, August 16th due to my work schedule. So I can't comment on the event that occurred early in the week. Were you at that one with Tom Brown and did he make any remarks about FTD releases come out?

Another issue that was sad and annoying was the error that occurred when they began showing TTWII on the big screen. I actually have a picture I will post hopefully if I can get my photobucket account working to show you guys. There were all kinds of red lines in it. And they actually had to stop the film and start over again. Very awkward but the people were kind about it.

They had on display the Red Ladder suit and a fringe suit but I don't think it was the one from Opening Night 1970 on display in the Orpheum.

I got my TTWII bluray when I came back from Memphis and just watching the outtakes now. Did anyone comment about Walk A Mile in My Shoes is not from one complete show any more ??? But it's actually both shows that this song is spliced together and I hate to be mean but I would say poorly at that. You can see the outfits on the Sweets changing from White to Yellow to white. So weird. What happened to the version from The Lost Performances? Did anyone else notice this? Also I know it was mentioned about the voice sped up, do we know why though?


I was there from the evening of the 9th, saw Tom several times in the 'EP', most conversations were about the TTWII box set, and the new hotel, which is pis*ing people off the $$$ they're asking to become 'Founders'. Cilla made a surprise appearance at the Insiders event...I didn't go to the 'Conversations' on the 15th which had a 'questions and answer' session...no doubt she would have avoided anything uncomfortable.....
I didn't get chance to scrutinise the suits in the lobby, we were nearly late getting in, we ate at the Hard Rock before and it was heaving;-)
It was great to see him on the big screen...but the 'hype' about the out-takes weren't anything we havnt seen before, not in any better quality.
Nice touch, The Imperials fetching Joe out to sing with them...;-)

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Got my copy this morning and after reading everyone's negative comments, I have to say I am very pleased with it, the packaging is excellent and the 40 page booklet is very nice using very good quality paper. The picture that I am seeing on my TV is much improved and the sound is awesome. Yes I agree the outtakes are dire and as someone said above why can't you play them all ? you have to keep going back to the main menu very annoying !!!
But overall I am very happy that I now have this finally on blu-ray, Bring on the 68 special !!!

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I was happy with it too. One of my favorite Elvis moments, it's great to have it in the best home video format currently available . Let's hope it does well enough to inspire Warner Brothers to put together a package of all of the usable outtakes. Same goes for Elvis On Tour .

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:32 pm

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I was happy with it too. One of my favorite Elvis moments, it's great to have it in the best home video format currently available . Let's hope it does well enough to inspire Warner Brothers to put together a package of all of the usable outtakes. Same goes for Elvis On Tour .

So like I said, fans will buy it again and again until they get it right. I have a no repeat policy now on things I have seen or heard 100s of times. No more buying things over & over unless it is absolutely the end all release on a certain subject. I just dont find this blu ray to be the case. For the amount of times I will watch this now, it just doesnt warrant a purchase. The suits have to learn Elvis fans arent a bunch that will accept anything they throw our way. Having the outtakes in blu-ray quality would have swayed me however.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:58 pm

r&b wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I was happy with it too. One of my favorite Elvis moments, it's great to have it in the best home video format currently available . Let's hope it does well enough to inspire Warner Brothers to put together a package of all of the usable outtakes. Same goes for Elvis On Tour .

So like I said, fans will buy it again and again until they get it right. I have a no repeat policy now on things I have seen or heard 100s of times. No more buying things over & over unless it is absolutely the end all release on a certain subject. I just dont find this blu ray to be the case. For the amount of times I will watch this now, it just doesnt warrant a purchase. The suits have to learn Elvis fans arent a bunch that will accept anything they throw our way. Having the outtakes in blu-ray quality would have swayed me however.


Sorry, I don't consider upgrading a favorite movie to Blu-Ray as buying something "over and over again" especially when the quality IS greatly and significantly improved which in this case it is. I've been waiting for this since EOT came out on Blu 4 years ago and I must say I am very happy with the video and audio improvements. Yes, of course I'm not happy with the out takes not being what was promised to us and the original movie not being in HD but at least we have the SE in 1080p HD and I am thrilled with that. As an Elvis fan, you should be too. Sorry, no offense meant.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:28 am

Elvislover813 wrote:
r&b wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I was happy with it too. One of my favorite Elvis moments, it's great to have it in the best home video format currently available . Let's hope it does well enough to inspire Warner Brothers to put together a package of all of the usable outtakes. Same goes for Elvis On Tour .

So like I said, fans will buy it again and again until they get it right. I have a no repeat policy now on things I have seen or heard 100s of times. No more buying things over & over unless it is absolutely the end all release on a certain subject. I just dont find this blu ray to be the case. For the amount of times I will watch this now, it just doesnt warrant a purchase. The suits have to learn Elvis fans arent a bunch that will accept anything they throw our way. Having the outtakes in blu-ray quality would have swayed me however.


Sorry, I don't consider upgrading a favorite movie to Blu-Ray as buying something "over and over again" especially when the quality IS greatly and significantly improved which in this case it is. I've been waiting for this since EOT came out on Blu 4 years ago and I must say I am very happy with the video and audio improvements. Yes, of course I'm not happy with the out takes not being what was promised to us and the original movie not being in HD but at least we have the SE in 1080p HD and I am thrilled with that. As an Elvis fan, you should be too. Sorry, no offense meant.


Fully agree.
The release could have been better but the SE in HD audio and video is something essential to get.
My copy will be here soon and unfortunately no real fans are involved in the WB company..
They will continue to screw up. Like it or not.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:46 am

Robert wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:
r&b wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I was happy with it too. One of my favorite Elvis moments, it's great to have it in the best home video format currently available . Let's hope it does well enough to inspire Warner Brothers to put together a package of all of the usable outtakes. Same goes for Elvis On Tour .

So like I said, fans will buy it again and again until they get it right. I have a no repeat policy now on things I have seen or heard 100s of times. No more buying things over & over unless it is absolutely the end all release on a certain subject. I just dont find this blu ray to be the case. For the amount of times I will watch this now, it just doesnt warrant a purchase. The suits have to learn Elvis fans arent a bunch that will accept anything they throw our way. Having the outtakes in blu-ray quality would have swayed me however.


Sorry, I don't consider upgrading a favorite movie to Blu-Ray as buying something "over and over again" especially when the quality IS greatly and significantly improved which in this case it is. I've been waiting for this since EOT came out on Blu 4 years ago and I must say I am very happy with the video and audio improvements. Yes, of course I'm not happy with the out takes not being what was promised to us and the original movie not being in HD but at least we have the SE in 1080p HD and I am thrilled with that. As an Elvis fan, you should be too. Sorry, no offense meant.


Fully agree.
The release could have been better but the SE in HD audio and video is something essential to get.
My copy will be here soon and unfortunately no real fans are involved in the WB company..
They will continue to screw up. Like it or not.



I saw it in the theater and watched the Blu twice already. That's 3 times just this week. :D

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:05 pm

The first youtube upload of ''The Wonder of you'' from the newly released TTWII Blu-ray :)
phpBB [video]

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

I saw the Red Ladder Suit yesterday, in quality that far surpasses the Bluray.

Only problem was, Elvis wasn't wearing it.

The suit was on exhibit in the new Graceland Archives Studio. It was not in a display case, which afforded a rare opportunity to be close enough to touch. I behaved myself, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm

elvisjock wrote:I saw the Red Ladder Suit yesterday, in quality that far surpasses the Bluray.

Only problem was, Elvis wasn't wearing it.

The suit was on exhibit in the new Graceland Archives Studio. It was not in a display case, which afforded a rare opportunity to be close enough to touch. I behaved myself, though.


Nice pics!

They had this jumpsuit behind glass in the Las Vegas exhibit across the street from Graceland when I was there in early July.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:The first youtube upload of ''The Wonder of you'' from the newly released TTWII Blu-ray :)
phpBB [video]



sounds better then the CD! Warner has better masters ;-)

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:43 am

Nice photos Elvisjock!

I shot some pictures of the belt as well that they showed last Monday when I was there. I just have not had a chance to get them all uploaded yet. I really enjoyed the ipad tour as well as the bonus stuff like what you saw at the Archives studio. Not only did they show a belt Elvis wore in 1969 but a number of unreleased concert photos from 1969 which I honestly had never seen before. Almost wish they would have used some of them for the recent Return to Vegas FTD because they were really awesome photos. Anyway it seems that they are doing two sessions for the archives studio exhibit. In the morning is one and then another in the afternoon. The morning session consisted of 50s stuff with unreleased photos from the movie set of Love Me Tender and other documentation from the 1950s of contracts. The afternoon included the belt, Red Ladder suit, and then some great photos from 1969 and from Viva Las vegas which were cool to see. The archives studio has a lot of potential even in the early stages.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Just watched the Blu Ray and I need to say it is the only case where the DVD is far superior to the Blue ray.

In the blu ray the picture has no depth, for example the flashing lights on the back during polk salad annie are hardly visible, Elvis hair is mixed with the black background, when Elvis turns his head he looks “headless” as his hair is just a black spot.

The overall picture is very dark, and nuances are gone; the stage shots are flat in colors and often lack the sharpness of the DVD – much clearer are the audience shots.

There is more definition in the BD disc– but we get the only the worst of that world - meaning more grain not more information.

The mater used was bad – I think either they mastered the wrong print OR they used an old high def digital transfer from 2001 (probably in 720p)

In any case, I am not recommending this BD. My expectations were low and I was not expecting something better than the DVD, I hoped it was somehow more crisp but I could have not expected this bad…… and the special features.. well let’snot go there. Just horrible job from my personal perspective. A great case study on how to destroy a movie.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 pm

I do not agree with that at all.

What system are you using to view this, and is your TV calibrated?

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 pm

DJL wrote:Nice photos Elvisjock!

I shot some pictures of the belt as well that they showed last Monday when I was there. I just have not had a chance to get them all uploaded yet. I really enjoyed the ipad tour as well as the bonus stuff like what you saw at the Archives studio. Not only did they show a belt Elvis wore in 1969 but a number of unreleased concert photos from 1969 which I honestly had never seen before. Almost wish they would have used some of them for the recent Return to Vegas FTD because they were really awesome photos. Anyway it seems that they are doing two sessions for the archives studio exhibit. In the morning is one and then another in the afternoon. The morning session consisted of 50s stuff with unreleased photos from the movie set of Love Me Tender and other documentation from the 1950s of contracts. The afternoon included the belt, Red Ladder suit, and then some great photos from 1969 and from Viva Las vegas which were cool to see. The archives studio has a lot of potential even in the early stages.


Damn:-(....I didn't realise this, would have gone back in the afternoon if I'd known there was different things in there :roll:

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Fabbe wrote:Just watched the Blu Ray and I need to say it is the only case where the DVD is far superior to the Blue ray.

In the blu ray the picture has no depth, for example the flashing lights on the back during polk salad annie are hardly visible, Elvis hair is mixed with the black background, when Elvis turns his head he looks “headless” as his hair is just a black spot.

The overall picture is very dark, and nuances are gone; the stage shots are flat in colors and often lack the sharpness of the DVD – much clearer are the audience shots.

There is more definition in the BD disc– but we get the only the worst of that world - meaning more grain not more information.

The mater used was bad – I think either they mastered the wrong print OR they used an old high def digital transfer from 2001 (probably in 720p)

In any case, I am not recommending this BD. My expectations were low and I was not expecting something better than the DVD, I hoped it was somehow more crisp but I could have not expected this bad…… and the special features.. well let’snot go there. Just horrible job from my personal perspective. A great case study on how to destroy a movie.


I would agree with most of your post. there is definitely something not quite right with this Blu Ray transfer !

All the negatives aside, I do think it's a slight upgrade to the PAL DVD, but that said, the DVD wins on some points. IMO.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Dan_T wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Just watched the Blu Ray and I need to say it is the only case where the DVD is far superior to the Blue ray.

In the blu ray the picture has no depth, for example the flashing lights on the back during polk salad annie are hardly visible, Elvis hair is mixed with the black background, when Elvis turns his head he looks “headless” as his hair is just a black spot.

The overall picture is very dark, and nuances are gone; the stage shots are flat in colors and often lack the sharpness of the DVD – much clearer are the audience shots.

There is more definition in the BD disc– but we get the only the worst of that world - meaning more grain not more information.

The mater used was bad – I think either they mastered the wrong print OR they used an old high def digital transfer from 2001 (probably in 720p)

In any case, I am not recommending this BD. My expectations were low and I was not expecting something better than the DVD, I hoped it was somehow more crisp but I could have not expected this bad…… and the special features.. well let’snot go there. Just horrible job from my personal perspective. A great case study on how to destroy a movie.


I would agree with most of your post. there is definitely something not quite right with this Blu Ray transfer !

All the negatives aside, I do think it's a slight upgrade to the PAL DVD, but that said, the DVD wins on some points. IMO.


I think this whole TTWII summer has been a travesty. The product (blu-ray) could have been better, the ad campaign for all products (including the movie in theaters) could have been better, and the prices could have been better. This will only be a success due to the hardcore Elvis fan who must buy eveything or the complete newbie who never spent a penny on any of this product in his/her life. They are real winners here. If you didnt buy this product over & over again from 1970 on up, and this was your first introduction to Elvis TTWII, you are the winner for getting it all new and at once, and never having had to spend hundreds of dollars on it over the last 40+ years. Congrats to the newbies. (BTW- I am totally sticking to my DVD set now after reading the last few posts)