Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 pm

http://www.mediamikes.com/2014/07/blu-r ... -way-it-is

The film has also never looked better on this Blu-ray since it was newly remastered in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. The sound is amazing and definitely lives up to the standards for the King. My main issue with this is that the 1970 original theatrical version is only available on DVD though and not Blu-ray. So if prefer that one to the 2001 special edition cut, you might be a little disappointed here. Other special features includes a cool featurette called “Patch It Up: The Restoration of Elvis: That’s The Way It Is” and 12 Outtakes: Song/Non-musical Sequences but that is really it.

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:39 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:http://www.mediamikes.com/2014/07/blu-ray-review-elvis-thats-the-way-it-is/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=blu-ray-review-elvis-thats-the-way-it-is

The film has also never looked better on this Blu-ray since it was newly remastered in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. The sound is amazing and definitely lives up to the standards for the King. My main issue with this is that the 1970 original theatrical version is only available on DVD though and not Blu-ray. So if prefer that one to the 2001 special edition cut, you might be a little disappointed here. Other special features includes a cool featurette called “Patch It Up: The Restoration of Elvis: That’s The Way It Is” and 12 Outtakes: Song/Non-musical Sequences but that is really it.

Thanks. Sound like nothing at all is new, and its a major disappointment that the original film is only a DVD. Oh well, you come to expect this in the Elvis world I guess.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Well maybe I spoke too soon. Apparently there have been some improvements:

Warner Brothers Senior Vice-President of Catalog Marketing George Feltenstein has provided more details on the 12 outtakes included as special features on the 'Elvis: That's The Way It Is : Two Disc Special Edition' Blu-ray due out on August 12. As suspected, the content mirrors that of the 2007 2-DVD set, except with a new twist. On DVD, the outtakes were presented in abysmal quality, but on Blu-ray, they will be pristine. 'The Blu-ray has high-definition, incredible new presentation, [and an] all-new master, but we also have, with really impressive quality, additional songs that were not included in the Special Edition. They were on a prior DVD but with, really, not very impressive quality because that’s the best that we had at the time, and it really was disappointing to fans.

So, we were unable to locate the actual master tapes that had the outtakes that we intended to use in 2007, and, finally, now, that tape was located, and that is now on the Blu-ray. So people will be able to see the – I think there are about ten – additional performances, and they’re going to look and sound much better than they did on the 2007 DVD – which was really a heartbreaker for us because we always want to give the consumers the best thing we can, and now we can do that, and it’s very, very exciting. We are always looking for new ways to make Elvis fans happy'.

But then again - how about the performances that were on the VHS Lost Performances video? Surely this would have been the proper time to include those, with the On Tour performances save for perhaps an Elvis On Tour SE release. I mean if they truly wanted the fans to be happy!

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 pm

r&b wrote:Well maybe I spoke too soon. Apparently there have been some improvements:

Warner Brothers Senior Vice-President of Catalog Marketing George Feltenstein has provided more details on the 12 outtakes included as special features on the 'Elvis: That's The Way It Is : Two Disc Special Edition' Blu-ray due out on August 12. As suspected, the content mirrors that of the 2007 2-DVD set, except with a new twist. On DVD, the outtakes were presented in abysmal quality, but on Blu-ray, they will be pristine. 'The Blu-ray has high-definition, incredible new presentation, [and an] all-new master, but we also have, with really impressive quality, additional songs that were not included in the Special Edition. They were on a prior DVD but with, really, not very impressive quality because that’s the best that we had at the time, and it really was disappointing to fans.

So, we were unable to locate the actual master tapes that had the outtakes that we intended to use in 2007, and, finally, now, that tape was located, and that is now on the Blu-ray. So people will be able to see the – I think there are about ten – additional performances, and they’re going to look and sound much better than they did on the 2007 DVD – which was really a heartbreaker for us because we always want to give the consumers the best thing we can, and now we can do that, and it’s very, very exciting. We are always looking for new ways to make Elvis fans happy spend more cash!'.

But then again - how about the performances that were on the VHS Lost Performances video? Surely this would have been the proper time to include those, with the On Tour performances save for perhaps an Elvis On Tour SE release. I mean if they truly wanted the fans to be happy!

So am I right in thinking the DVD that comes with the TTWII Legacy Deluxe Box is the old DVD that is not remastered or anything? :(

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 pm

When In Rome wrote:
r&b wrote:Well maybe I spoke too soon. Apparently there have been some improvements:

So, we were unable to locate the actual master tapes that had the outtakes that we intended to use in 2007, and, finally, now, that tape was located, and that is now on the Blu-ray. So people will be able to see the – I think there are about ten – additional performances, and they’re going to look and sound much better than they did on the 2007 DVD – which was really a heartbreaker for us because we always want to give the consumers the best thing we can, and now we can do that, and it’s very, very exciting. We are always looking for new ways to make Elvis fans happy spend more cash!'.

So am I right in thinking the DVD that comes with the TTWII Legacy Deluxe Box is the old DVD that is not remastered or anything? :(

I assume so

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:28 am

Noooo. I love the original TTWII film (minus the wedding scene and Elvis Europe fan convention). It really was made with a lot of thought and skill. It featured the very best of the footage - the best performances and Elvis' funniest jokes. The Special edition feels like it was made with little thought other than adding new footage to the film and features Elvis' worst jokes making him out to be childish rather than the cool guy he really was. I'd have preferred the original to be on blu-ray.

My favourite TTWII moments:

1. the performance of I Just Can't Help Believing
2. the performance of I've Lost You
3. Elvis having trouble with microphones

(All from the original film)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 am

Does anyone know if the outtakes are in dts 5.1 or are is it just a stereo mix

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 am

Why can't they do it right?

RKS

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:15 am

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:01 am

When In Rome wrote:So am I right in thinking the DVD that comes with the TTWII Legacy Deluxe Box is the old DVD that is not remastered or anything? :(

It has been my suspicion since this set was officially announced the the DVDs in the 10 disc box set would merely be the old 2007 product.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:20 am

Matthew wrote:
When In Rome wrote:So am I right in thinking the DVD that comes with the TTWII Legacy Deluxe Box is the old DVD that is not remastered or anything? :(

It has been my suspicion since this set was officially announced the the DVDs in the 10 disc box set would merely be the old 2007 product.

We will see soon.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 am

r&b wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:http://www.mediamikes.com/2014/07/blu-ray-review-elvis-thats-the-way-it-is/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=blu-ray-review-elvis-thats-the-way-it-is

Thanks. Sound like nothing at all is new, and its a major disappointment that the original film is only a DVD. Oh well, you come to expect this in the Elvis world I guess.

If the sound of the original is upgraded, I will be satisfied. Better than nothing, though.

Jan

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

When In Rome wrote:

Maybe what they have done is as they had so many unsold 2007 dvd set, they just recycled them openning many of these boxes and using them to fill up the new SONY 8cd/2dvd sets :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Does anyone know if the outtakes are in dts 5.1 or are is it just a stereo mix

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:49 pm

A more detailed review of the blu-ray release below.
I lost interest in the outtakes when reading this info

Outtakes (1.33:1; SD; letterboxed)

SD is not optimal but ok I guess but I hate the letterbox/1.33:1 combination :(

Also says that blu ray is region free

Looks like the Little Sister/Get Back LIVE medley video are complete this time.

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/elvis-two-disc-special-edition-blu-ray-book-review.html

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:A more detailed review of the blu-ray release below.

Looks like the Little Sister/Get Back medley video are complete this time.

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/elvis-two-disc-special-edition-blu-ray-book-review.html

Finally a real review. Too bad the theatrical and outtakes are not in HD, but at least we finally know what to expect. Good ol' WB.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:23 am

Some very good news and some not good news. Still wondering if the 1970 version has been improved in both sound and picture even though we know that it isn't in Blu-ray.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:48 am

It always just falls a little short in some way when it comes to Elvis product doesnt it?

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:39 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:

Finally a real review. Too bad the theatrical and outtakes are not in HD, but at least we finally know what to expect. Good ol' WB.

So next to the original movie we also don't get the outtakes in HD.
That's just weird as they located the original tapes and now they didn't go the extra mile to ensure a quality product.

Well, at least we get the SE in HD.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:53 am

Robert wrote:
Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:

So next to the original movie we also don't get the outtakes in HD.
That's just weird as they located the original tapes and now they didn't go the extra mile to ensure a quality product.

Well, at least we get the SE in HD.

Very surprised the outtakes not in HD. Half a job done. Yes at least the SE in Blu...and that's awesome!

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:27 am

I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Original tape? TTWII was recorded on 35 mm film.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:28 am

Many thanks. I expected that, too. But I'm very happy to be getting the SE in Blu-Ray. Thanks!

rjm
P.S. -- Yes, I'm still alive . . . just some bumps along the road.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:59 am

Well, I'm relieved that we are in fact getting the SE in HD, given that I was expecting this to be another *Big Red One* debacle. However, this makes the lack of an HD version of the Theatrical cut even less excusable, because all it would have taken was a scan and digital clean up. I'd much rather have the SE of the two, but there's no reason both couldn't have been offered.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 am

I will bet a dollar that Warner Brothers will re-package all this with a few more extras next year for the 45th anniversary. And instead of a job half done, it be 3/4 done so they can do it again for the 50th. They are taking a page from the RCA/BMG/Sony/ FTD book of marketing a selling a product of someone who has been dead for nearly 40 years.

If they did everything correct the first time and sold us "everything" at once - there wouldn't be an endless "repackaging" game to milk it for all it's worth.

Just look at the "Aloha" material. EPE bought the rights to it all - then released it all - and now what do they have to sell - nothing except a re-edit job.

Mean while, if the fan wants to see and hear this great material, the fan continues to pay for stuff 2,3,4 times over so the massive film and record industry can continue to line their pockets. It's genious!

RKS

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 am

janti wrote:I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Original tape? TTWII was recorded on 35 mm film.

My understanding is this "tape" is that prepared for the original 2007 DVD release but somehow got lost prior to production. The reason the outtakes look poor on the 2007 DVD release is because all they could use was a dub of the missing tape that (I think) one of the executives had.

So, now they have found the missing tape that was prepared for the DVD release, and this is what appears now.

What they should have done was go back to the original film elements and make new transfers, but what we gonna do?

Just be thankful they bothered to offer up anything from 1970 in High Definition.