Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:10 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Well, once this Backdraft release of an unreleased September 70 show is out, I look forward to reading your attempts to rationalize it into some kind of failure. Better start thinking them up now, because I have a feeling it will be a hard sell.


Hey, I understand, they are your friends, and you want to make them happy, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to do the same. ;-)

It might be an excellent release, it might not. It's a matter of sound, presentation, packaging and -- most importantly -- performance. If we hear a 1970 soundboard that echoes Houston in 1976, it will be very difficult to grade it highly. In the end, it's about the music, in case you forgot.

Anyway, I'll call it as I see it, as I always do, and with NO hyperbole.



Johnny2523 wrote:Ah! you're meaning the 3 tracks as appeared on Goin back in time?
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/goingbackintime.html


Not really, but you're learning, good. Keep doing your homework.

Also, note the person's query was a straw man argument, meant to deflect from my very salient point that the top-tier Elvis import labels have been doing their thing for several years now, and someone's hype should not wash that away. :smt023

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:Well, once this Backdraft release of an unreleased September 70 show is out, I look forward to reading your attempts to rationalize it into some kind of failure. Better start thinking them up now, because I have a feeling it will be a hard sell.


It might be an excellent release, it might not. It's a matter of sound, presentation, packaging and -- most importantly -- performance. If we hear a 1970 soundboard that echoes Houston in 1976, it will be very difficult to grade it highly. In the end, it's about the music, in case you forgot.

Anyway, I'll call it as I see it, as I always do, and with NO hyperbole.

Hey, I understand, they are your friends, and you want to make them happy, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to do the same. ;-)



Johnny2523 wrote:Ah! you're meaning the 3 tracks as appeared on Goin back in time?
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/goingbackintime.html


Not really, but you're learning, good. Keep doing your homework.

Also, note the person's query was a straw man argument, meant to deflect from my very salient point that the top-tier Elvis import labels have been doing their thing for several years now, and someone's hype should not wash that away. :smt023


I do agree with that, Venus and Straight arrow have been constantly given us quality releases.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
charro1971 wrote:Backdraft certainly is the Elvis import label of the moment. Their releases sure do impress.

The unreleased soundboard is going to be big... we haven't had something like this for ages! September 2 would be an ideal release date. Sounds like they're only releasing one show, not both.


You must not own any of the Venus or Straight Arrow titles issued in the past four years to make such a statement.


Venus Productions
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/venus.html

Straight Arrow
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/straightarrow.html


Both labels have offered the hardcore fans completely new recordings on many titles.


Straight Arrow have released many very fine audience recordings and soundbooth (but no soundboard) recordings this year. Audionics, Venus and other labels have also done some nice releases. I have enjoyed them all.

But... an unreleased soundboard from 1970 + an immaculately made 1976 New Year's Show release make Backdraft the label "of the moment"

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:21 pm

charro1971 wrote:But... an unreleased soundboard from 1970 + an immaculately made 1976 New Year's Show release make Backdraft the label "of the moment"


Where is it? Do you always champion things that do not exist?

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyway, I'll call it as I see it, as I always do, and with NO hyperbole.



Not true. How can you can you call it as you see it when more often that not you don't even have the item in your possession? Explain how you can do that?

I can provide many links to releases that you have criticised (MRS, Boxcar, Backdraft) or even links to releases that you have 'championed' even tho said releases have ripped off FTD for their own gain (GravelRoad).

Feel free not to give a direct answer, it's what you do.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 pm

It is good to know some soundboards from August / September 1970 exists. I do wonder how many concerts exists in soundboard format from this season, specially from August 15th on....

And perhaps a soundboard version of "When The Snow Is On The Roses" is in private hands. You never know..

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
charro1971 wrote:But... an unreleased soundboard from 1970 + an immaculately made 1976 New Year's Show release make Backdraft the label "of the moment"


Where is it? Do you always champion things that do not exist?


I don't know why you feel so hurt regarding my comment about Backdraft being the Elvis import label "of the moment".

A moment can be 5 seconds, 1 minute, 1 hour, a day, a week, a month etc.

Basically we have A LOT OF STUFF to look forward to at the moment. So cool it, Doc! Jesus! :roll:

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:55 pm

:D Glad that backdraft put out this statement We will look forward to the near future when we will release a brand new unreleased soundboard (never before heard, not even as an audience recording) from the Las Vegas engagement from the Summer of 1970.....because it would be another super release!~ 8)
only 'problem' i have noticed with getting this NYE 76' Backdraft release has been the wide variation in price paid by the buyer..... i got one for about A$160... but others i have been watching often follow have been selling for between A$240-$320!~ in price!!!!!! so their is (as they have just stated) a SHORTAGE compared to the demand for the set. :?

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Details should follow soon and the announcement is quite exciting!
How awesome we will soon hear a brand new show from a great engagement in potentially very good sound?

It's been 44 years my friends, we are fortunate this kind of material sees daylight.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 am

Hi Renan, to awnser your question requarding soundboards from early august 1970.......
I personaly do not think that there are to many sounboards recorded, because of the fact that rca had recorded 6 shows in the firts week, so there was no need for it.
the only known soundboard i know of is from august 14 ms.
a few years back we've heard some some songs from this show in not to great sound. It was a soundboard but a damaged tape and not restored and remasterd. I've heard a better version of it, these came directly from the mgm tapes, at least that is what was told to me at the time. Plus i know that folsom prison blues/i walk the line from that show is recorded in soundboard quality.i've heard it a few years back.it'ts the same version that we can here on the release the man in white, vol 3.only this time it's soundboard. So i do think that the whole show is stuffed away somewhere on a shelf by a private collector.
maybe someday we get the change to here this concert also in prestine sound.who knows.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 pm

memfisking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyway, I'll call it as I see it, as I always do, and with NO hyperbole.



Not true. How can you can you call it as you see it when more often that not you don't even have the item in your possession? Explain how you can do that?

I can provide many links to releases that you have criticised (MRS, Boxcar, Backdraft) or even links to releases that you have 'championed' even tho said releases have ripped off FTD for their own gain (GravelRoad).

Feel free not to give a direct answer, it's what you do.


::rocks

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 pm

jekhb76 wrote: Plus i know that folsom prison blues/i walk the line from that show is recorded in soundboard quality.i've heard it a few years back.


That would be neat to see in the (hopefully) near future..

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 pm

I disagree with the opinion that Elvis sounded bored at the end of the run. Let's not take that for a fact because someone says so.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Yes I hope so too.maybe the guys are opening up their minds and are willing to release more.
i know a guy from england who bought a few years back a soundboard show from september 1 1970. And he is a really nice guy, but the reason that he won't sell is that he paid too much for it, and no one would pay hey that money back.
Als he has put a lot of efford in finding this tape. But maybe when backdraft is releasing this gem he will also find a way yo release the september 1 show. Let's see.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:52 pm

jekhb76 wrote:Hi Renan, to awnser your question requarding soundboards from early august 1970.......
I personaly do not think that there are to many sounboards recorded, because of the fact that rca had recorded 6 shows in the firts week, so there was no need for it.
the only known soundboard i know of is from august 14 ms.
a few years back we've heard some some songs from this show in not to great sound. It was a soundboard but a damaged tape and not restored and remasterd. I've heard a better version of it, these came directly from the mgm tapes, at least that is what was told to me at the time. Plus i know that folsom prison blues/i walk the line from that show is recorded in soundboard quality.i've heard it a few years back.it'ts the same version that we can here on the release the man in white, vol 3.only this time it's soundboard. So i do think that the whole show is stuffed away somewhere on a shelf by a private collector.
maybe someday we get the change to here this concert also in prestine sound.who knows.


Thank you!

There is always hope. Elvis rehearsed songs like "Tomorrow Never Comes", "Mary In The Morning" and even "How The Web Was Woven" on piano. So many days without a tracklisting with some information of what was sung or not. If we did not have an audience recording of August 24th, who would think he would have attempted "When The Snow Is On The Roses"?

So we live in hope that more soundboards like that keep coming because concerts from this time are never enough, even if tracklistings are vitually the same.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Your absolutely right.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Snow On The Roses was impromptu because Ed Ames was in the audience. It was a nice tribute and Ed must have been pleased.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I love the fact that there are shows in early September that were being recorded. What is really the rhyme or reason at that point in the run? As has been pointed out the first 6 shows were recorded in pristine quality so I'm guessing that more shows during the vegas runs were recorded then we might think. Regarding the show from the 14th, I too have heard bits from it and this begs the question that if the 14th midnight was recorded, wouldn't at least the 13th midnight and 14th dinner be as well? As happy as I am about hearing a board from Septemeber '70 Elvis had a pretty inflexible setlist at the time with nearly the same songs being played every night. We know from the TTWII that the opposite was the case in the beginning of August so I'm willing to bet those missing setlists would be way more exciting. Anyway this is awesome news and it's even better that this probably isn't a one off and that it's very likely to hear more new recordings from summer '70 in the future.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:08 am

Wiebe wrote:I disagree with the opinion that Elvis sounded bored at the end of the run. Let's not take that for a fact because someone says so.


Indeed.

Let's take it for a fact by those who attended the third run and taped shows where he was booed and fell down, and at least one local news report towards the end of the engagement of the singer being "drunk" on stage.

And any careful analysis of the shows captured on tape from the first week (when MGM was there and the pressure was really on) and those done after reveals a drop-off in the care and attention paid to many of the selections. That evidence may also be regarded as fact. :smt023

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:08 am

charro1971 wrote:So cool it, Doc! Jesus! :roll:


Doc is fine.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:22 am

Dear sipfromthecup03,
there is no special reason. But as i said before the last couple of years, that i do think that most shows were recorded almost every day, sometimes with a delay for a few years, but i do think that from every tour or vegas/tahoe season some shows weee recorded.
They were recorded for safety reasons, if something would happen during the shows, there is audio proof to it.
They were recorded for when a band member went sick and they must be replaced the othe night, they would have a audio to the last show.
They were recorded so that they would always have material they could release if they felt the need for it.
otherwise i have no othe reasons why so many show were recorded.
We no have over 150 soundboard and multitrack shows, so i would asume that almost every show was recorded.
but the most of these shows are gone, ereased, owned by family members, band members, private collectors. And i do also yhink that many shows were recorded over.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
charro1971 wrote:Backdraft certainly is the Elvis import label of the moment. Their releases sure do impress.

The unreleased soundboard is going to be big... we haven't had something like this for ages! September 2 would be an ideal release date. Sounds like they're only releasing one show, not both.


Do you not own any of the Venus or Straight Arrow titles issued in the past three years?

What unreleased soundboard recordings did Straight Arrow and Venus release?


I don't offer a firm point unless it is true and correct.

Thus, I made no specific references in my comment. However, since you clearly lack knowledge on the subject, let me fill you in:

Venus has primarily issued unreleased STUDIO material, and some unreleased soundboard material.
Straight Arrow has primarily issued unreleased LIVE audience recordings, and some unreleased soundboard material.

Obviously, you still cannot answer my simple question. Venus and Straight Arrow are cool, but again:
What unreleased soundboard recordings were released by Venus and Straight Arrow?
Please do not refer to studio, audience or soundbooth recorings. I wasn't asking for these.
In case you still fail to answer this question properly, anyone else may feel free to deliver instead.


Click the links in my previous post, and you will learn more about their titles.

On the other hand, to date, your friends at Backdraft (don't imply I'm friends with Backdraft, because you don't know) have given fans NONE of the above, save a lot of stage chatter and a few stray cuts from February 1970. But it is without question they excel at repackaging and re-selling previously-issued audio and visual material, both official and unofficial, though. I have heared, other labels are much better in doing so!

Hope this helps! :smt023 No, it doesn't


P.S. Please don't make me lay out additional detailed facts. Why not? I'm sure you will be able to do so, don't you? I've done it many times before, on other topics. Cool. Do a search of my posts. Thanks.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It might be an excellent release, it might not. It's a matter of sound, presentation, packaging and -- most importantly -- performance. If we hear a 1970 soundboard that echoes Houston in 1976, it will be very difficult to grade it highly. In the end, it's about the music, in case you forgot.

Are you floating the option, that it could be possible that a September 1970 Show might be on a par with Houston 1976??? :facep:

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am

Is there an attempt here to try to discredit an unreleased soundboard recording from the summer of 1970? :shock:

Hopefully, there's another run-of-the-mill audience recording from 1973 coming our way soon.

Re: i heard a soundboard from september 70 is coming soon

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am

hm80ep wrote:Is there an attempt here to try to discredit an unreleased soundboard recording from the summer of 1970? :shock:


Yeah i really have heard it all now! :smt003