More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
K.C.
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Some Call It Folk

Post by K.C. »

Here is a new CD I found on Essential Elvis:

Elvis’ 1970 Country album was a great idea, but it’s a shame that with Elvis’ interest in contemporary folk music he didn’t release a “Folk” themed album. For the May 1971 session Elvis had even used folk group The Nashville Edition as backing singers and selected some interesting songs to record.

However, from a marketing perspective we can hardly see an LP called Elvis Folk appealing to his fans in 1971, and let’s face it Elvis wasn’t recording what the general public would consider Folk. Instead the sound was more of a spontaneous “unplugged acoustic” feel as opposed to the more recent big ballads or soulful stew of the Memphis sessions. But still… some call it folk.

Now for the very first time we finally have an Elvis ‘Folk’ album. Housed in a stunning 3-panel digipack, this is a top notch Elvis CD release.

Tracklisting…

Fools Rush In (unedited master) /I’m Leavin’ (unedited master) /Tomorrow Is A Long Time (take 2) /Until It’s Time For You To Go (take 7) /Early Morning Rain (take 11) /I Will Be There (take 2) /Put Your Hand In The Hand (unedited master) / The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (overdubbed master – differend mix) /Snowbird (take 2) /It’s Still Here ( unedited master) /Help Me Make It Through The Night (take 3) /Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (take 2 – edited) /It’s Only Love (unedited master) /(That’s What You Get) For Loving Me (take 10) /500 Miles (home recording) /Blowin’ In The Wind (home recording) /I’m Leavin’ (recorded live, 21/08/1974) /Early Morning Rain (recorded live, 21/06/1977).

Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com/books-store

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Some Call It Folk

Post by Mister Mike »

Who calls «It Only Love» folk?

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Topic author
K.C.
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by K.C. »

Mister Mike wrote:Who calls «It Only Love» folk?
Some folk(s) do :-)

Your daily Elvis News Blog: http://www.ElvisDayByDay.com
Elvis Day By Day Yearbooks available https://www.poplartunes.com/books-store

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

I don't know about that.

Elvis could have recorded covers of ten or twelve of his favorite folk songs and then RCA would've released it.

Elvis did record a handful of folk songs in 1970 and 1971 but not enough for an entire album.

Like with most Elvis albums if a folk album had been released it would have eventually gone gold.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

Everybody calls it 'folk Ballad' ... now that's FOLK (bam) BALLAD (bam-bam)... Lord have mercy etc... :mrgreen:

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

K.C. wrote:Here is a new CD I found on Essential Elvis:

Elvis’ 1970 Country album was a great idea, but it’s a shame that with Elvis’ interest in contemporary folk music he didn’t release a “Folk” themed album. For the May 1971 session Elvis had even used folk group The Nashville Edition as backing singers and selected some interesting songs to record.

However, from a marketing perspective we can hardly see an LP called Elvis Folk appealing to his fans in 1971, and let’s face it Elvis wasn’t recording what the general public would consider Folk. Instead the sound was more of a spontaneous “unplugged acoustic” feel as opposed to the more recent big ballads or soulful stew of the Memphis sessions. But still… some call it folk.

Now for the very first time we finally have an Elvis ‘Folk’ album. Housed in a stunning 3-panel digipack, this is a top notch Elvis CD release.

Tracklisting…

Fools Rush In (unedited master) /I’m Leavin’ (unedited master) /Tomorrow Is A Long Time (take 2) /Until It’s Time For You To Go (take 7) /Early Morning Rain (take 11) /I Will Be There (take 2) /Put Your Hand In The Hand (unedited master) / The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (overdubbed master – differend mix) /Snowbird (take 2) /It’s Still Here ( unedited master) /Help Me Make It Through The Night (take 3) /Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (take 2 – edited) /It’s Only Love (unedited master) /(That’s What You Get) For Loving Me (take 10) /500 Miles (home recording) /Blowin’ In The Wind (home recording) /I’m Leavin’ (recorded live, 21/08/1974) /Early Morning Rain (recorded live, 21/06/1977).
Thanks for the information, K.C.

Since when Ivory Joe Hunter is considered a folk songwriter ?

Why not include "My Wish Came True" as well ?

And, by the way, it's "I Will Be True" - or maybe "I'll Be There", a Bobby Darin song, not too folk, either...

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

No folk is the best folk. I don't care for folk music.

Christopher Brown

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

K.C. wrote:Here is a new CD I found on Essential Elvis:
140720_Some Call It Folk.JPG

Tracklisting…

Clearly, this is a grey market release.

We see too many tracks crammed into a "1971 concept," it should have topped off at an even dozen numbers. As noted, some of these are simply not folk music numbers, several post-date the era (1970-71), some are not studio cuts, and somehow the stunning 1971 rundown of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" is omitted. And why quote from Presley's 1973 recording of "Raised On Rock" for the name of the CD, when songwriter Mark James was referring to all the pre-rock influences that he heard on the radio growing up?

That said, the notion of a 1971 "folk" album is a good one, as this was the direction Presley was headed towards when he entered RCA Nashville's Studio B in March 1971. The folks (no pun intended) behind this creation should have instead "borrowed" from this FECC topic by esteemed member George Smith:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58014

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

WMarkJ
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by WMarkJ »

When In Rome wrote:
Everybody calls it 'folk Ballad' ... now that's FOLK (bam) BALLAD (bam-bam)... Lord have mercy etc... :mrgreen:
Carry it home and cook it for supper , but they did allright

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Where is "Raised On Rock"? :P

And "I'm Leavin'" and even a live version of it featured? :wtf:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

MORERO
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by MORERO »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Where is "Raised On Rock"? :P

And "I'm Leavin'" and even a live version of it featured? :wtf:
'' I'm Leavin'' is concidered by many as a folk song.

drjohncarpenter

MORERO wrote:'' I'm Leavin'' is concidered by many as a folk song.
I've never heard or read of "I'm Leavin'" being categorized as a folk song.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:That said, the notion of a 1971 "folk" album is a good one, as this was the direction Presley was headed towards when he entered RCA Nashville's Studio B in March 1971. The folks (no pun intended) behind this creation should have instead "borrowed" from this FECC topic by esteemed member George Smith:

Hey, thanks for the nod, John!

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

drjohncarpenter

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That said, the notion of a 1971 "folk" album is a good one, as this was the direction Presley was headed towards when he entered RCA Nashville's Studio B in March 1971. The folks (no pun intended) behind this creation should have instead "borrowed" from this FECC topic by esteemed member George Smith:

Well-deserved.

Is the check in the mail? ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:

Well-deserved.

Western Union ...

WALK A LONELY STREET

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:

Well-deserved.

Western Union ...
clickety-clack...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:

Well-deserved.

Western Union ...
clickety-clack...
Oh, yeah...

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

I will not get involved in this silly game, I will not get involved in this silly game, I will not get involved in this silly game ...

... Send my lovin' baby back to me ...

Darnit.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Elfan

Post by Elfan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Clearly, this is a grey market release
It's not even that Doc, it's a 'bootleg'.
A lot of the songs on there are not what I'd call 'folk' either.
Might be a good idea for a future Sony or FTD release though.