Flaming Star - On Blu-Ray - Out In November

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Josee

Re: Flaming Star - On Blu-Ray - Out In November

Post by Josee »

I've watched it and as it starts with the scene where they ride in the dark to the ranch I was disapppointed, but once in the house and foremost all the scenes in the daylight, I'm very happy with this Blu-ray release. It's not as good as the Viva Las Vegas Blu-ray, but that's because there are too many dark scenes in this film. I don't regret buying it.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

Claus wrote:Twilight Time has nothing to do with the restoration which is carried out by the studio that owns the film. Twilight Time only distribute them.

Correct. Fox did a great job with black and white LMT last year. My copy is on the way. I will be honest about picture quality and sound when I watch it, this weekend I hope.

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Here some more screenshots.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

and more

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Nice :D

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

received it today, quality is like the dvd, only 1080p instead of 480i - so higher resolution, but not a new, or better remaster - not perfect, but an very OK quality like similar movies from the era ... recommended ;-) (for the dutch, it has dutch subtitles, but it's a scandinavian release)

Claus

Post by Claus »

memphisflash wrote:received it today, quality is like the dvd, only 1080p instead of 480i - so higher resolution, but not a new, or better remaster - not perfect, but an very OK quality like similar movies from the era ... recommended ;-) (for the dutch, it has dutch subtitles, but it's a scandinavian release)
Come on! The BD smokes the dvd. I did a brief comparison when I received the BD and there is no doubt that it is much better than the 2002 dvd.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

Claus wrote:
memphisflash wrote:received it today, quality is like the dvd, only 1080p instead of 480i - so higher resolution, but not a new, or better remaster - not perfect, but an very OK quality like similar movies from the era ... recommended ;-) (for the dutch, it has dutch subtitles, but it's a scandinavian release)
Come on! The BD smokes the dvd. I did a brief comparison when I received the BD and there is no doubt that it is much better than the 2002 dvd.

No,in my opinion, it does not 'smoke' the (pal) dvd ... it's better due to higher resolution, but it's not the best a movie this age COULD look (The Searchers?), it's good, but far from being perfect ... there no restoration done on this movie whatsoever

Claus

Post by Claus »

Unless the pal dvd is a more recent transfer, I respectfully disagree. Also, The Searchers are VistaVision and Technicolor so of course it's going to look much better.

Josee

Post by Josee »

When one looks at the screen shots posted, you can see how sharp and bright the day shots are. So, I think it is a very good transfer as you can't expect wonders when a film has so many scenes shot in the dark.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

I agree. This is somewhat disappointing and not a patch on the quality of Love me tender or VLV. This looks to me like a quick transfer onto a Blu ray with no restoration or effort put in. And why is it now a 15 certificate? Also, the synopsis on the back isn't even in English!

Claus

Post by Claus »

Tony.. wrote:Also, the synopsis on the back isn't even in English!
That's because it's a Scandinavian release.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Tony.. wrote:I agree. This is somewhat disappointing and not a patch on the quality of Love me tender or VLV. This looks to me like a quick transfer onto a Blu ray with no restoration or effort put in. And why is it now a 15 certificate? Also, the synopsis on the back isn't even in English!
So Tony.. you bought one and you have watched it? I'm still waiting, no luck today.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

Thanks so much Johnny.

Looks good to me. I think the original cinematography was a problem in this film. The night shots look like "dark daylight" instead of actual night shots. So that will be a problem no matter what.

People have noticed that, haven't they?

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

rjm wrote:Thanks so much Johnny.

Looks good to me. I think the original cinematography was a problem in this film. The night shots look like "dark daylight" instead of actual night shots. So that will be a problem no matter what.

rjm

Sent via mobile
In the old movies, not sure what they do now, they would put a different lens on the camera to make it dark when shooting outdoors. It was too difficult to film at night.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

L Ray wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I agree. This is somewhat disappointing and not a patch on the quality of Love me tender or VLV. This looks to me like a quick transfer onto a Blu ray with no restoration or effort put in. And why is it now a 15 certificate? Also, the synopsis on the back isn't even in English!
So Tony.. you bought one and you have watched it? I'm still waiting, no luck today.
Yes, I watched about an hour of it last night. I think because my first Blu rays, Jailhouse rock and VLV were so sharp and stunning, that Flaming star looks disappointing compared to those 2 beauties. However, it is still good, but I don't want them to rush them out on Blu ray with no work or restoration put in.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Tony.. wrote:
L Ray wrote:
Yes, I watched about an hour of it last night. I think because my first Blu rays, Jailhouse rock and VLV were so sharp and stunning, that Flaming star looks disappointing compared to those 2 beauties. However, it is still good, but I don't want them to rush them out on Blu ray with no work or restoration put in.

Okay. I don't have mine, still waiting. Maybe it is a bit grainy like FTD. The others don't have the grain issue and are near perfection.

jbgude
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jbgude »

L Ray wrote: .....Maybe it is a bit grainy like FTD. The others don't have the grain issue and are near perfection.
Yes, the "Grains" from the film stock are very pronounced on this BD. I do not know the technicalities, but many of the new(non Elvis) DVDs that I have bought in the past 5+ years and also the "remastered" Elvis movies like "Girl Happy"/ "Tickle Me" etc seem to have much higher/ better quality, when viewed on large HD TVs.

Claus

Post by Claus »

jbgude wrote:
Yes, the "Grains" from the film stock are very pronounced on this BD. I do not know the technicalities, but many of the new(non Elvis) DVDs that I have bought in the past 5+ years and also the "remastered" Elvis movies like "Girl Happy"/ "Tickle Me" etc seem to have much higher/ better quality, when viewed on large HD TVs.
That's because BD has more resolution. Grain never looked right on dvd, imo. It looked washed out.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

Okay my copy arrived today :D . I won't be watching today but I did take a peak at about 10 mins. I wanted to see nighttime scenes, daytime inside and daytime outside. For me this is a winner from Fox. The color is great as well as the sharp definition, just beautiful. The print looks clean as does LMT Blu-ray from Fox. I never saw FS in the theater so this is the very best I have ever seen it. It does have the grain but I don't think it is as noticeable as our FTD Blu-ray. Not as good quality as VLV but better than FTD. As for the nighttime scenes, I think they look great. Very happy with what I saw. For me the most important Elvis acting movies are the first 10 or so plus VLV. FS being one of his best. So happy to have this one out in beautiful Blu-ray with DTS sound. The old DVD does not come close to this in quality. I'll write again after I've seen the whole thing, probably later this week.

musiclover1979
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by musiclover1979 »

It's great having the movie in this picture quality, but what about the sound?
The region 1 DVD (to me) had thin / tinny sound.
Is the sound much improved on the BLU?

Thank you! :)

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

L Ray wrote:

rjm

Sent via mobile
In the old movies, not sure what they do now, they would put a different lens on the camera to make it dark when shooting outdoors. It was too difficult to film at night.
I wish a film expert could help. First of all, black and white films seemed to have no problem at all with night scenes decades before. With color, they used a variety of processes, and I don't know which was used here. But all I know is that it's supposed to be night, and you see blue sky. Maybe a duller blue, but blue.

To my eyes, in the 1960s, I would think they could have have done a better job with this aspect. Either the lighting director messed up, or someone. It mars some excellent scenes because the odd look is a distraction. And it doesn't feel like night.

In a film about fear surrounding everyone, night should look like night.

Can anyone name other films of that time where the same thing happens? I'm sure it must have. But that doesn't make it any better.

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

musiclover1979 wrote:It's great having the movie in this picture quality, but what about the sound?
The region 1 DVD (to me) had thin / tinny sound.
Is the sound much improved on the BLU?

Thank you! :)

The DTS soundtrack works just fine. You won't find anything wrong with the soundtrack. Watched a little of Follow That Dream after. Flaming Star has much less grain, the print is clean with no signs of wear. Really looks beautiful. In regard to Josee's comments about night scenes, the night shots really look good. Everyone should be happy with the quality of this blu-ray. Really looking forward to WITC, in the near future I hope.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

rjm wrote:
L Ray wrote:

rjm

Sent via mobile
I wish a film expert could help. First of all, black and white films seemed to have no problem at all with night scenes decades before. With color, they used a variety of processes, and I don't know which was used here. But all I know is that it's supposed to be night, and you see blue sky. Maybe a duller blue, but blue.

To my eyes, in the 1960s, I would think they could have have done a better job with this aspect. Either the lighting director messed up, or someone. It mars some excellent scenes because the odd look is a distraction. And it doesn't feel like night.

In a film about fear surrounding everyone, night should look like night.

Can anyone name other films of that time where the same thing happens? I'm sure it must have. But that doesn't make it any better.

rjm

Sent via mobile

No one messed up. That's the way they did the night scenes. I have no intention to be sarcastic but if it is that upsetting to you then you will have to pass on a lot of old good movies, not just this one or Elvis movies. FTD does the same thing for their night scenes when Elvis is out in the woods with the gangsters.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

The night scenes arrent night scenes, they were filmed during the day time using special filters or lenses (just look at the long shadows, they're giving it dead away ...)