Elvis In Concert

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Re: Elvis In Concert

Post by mike edwards66 »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Not always....but 97% of the time.
You do the maths.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

mike edwards66 wrote:
You do the maths.
You do the thinking.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Never ever ever do I want to see an official release of Elvis In Concert. It would tarnish the King's name. 1977 concerts are so bad. They are far worse than the Aloha special and you would never have thought that this was the guy that rocked in black leather 9 years before. There is very very little to enjoy in them. Elvis looks absolutely awful. His voice is very nasal on any fast song and any song with high notes. Basically the only acceptable songs are slow and have low notes e.g. Tryin' To Get To You, It's Now Or Never, My Way. The TCB band have grown bored and sound uninspired.

All possible footage is available to watch on import DVDs, which are only accessible to the fans and can't be used for mocking by haters of Elvis, in good quality. In HD Elvis' appearance would be truly shocking. :shock:

There are much more important things that we need released such as... the On Tour footage.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Topic author
elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvislennon »

poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:Common Sense is also that everyone who is a Elvis fan knows that he was in bad health in his last couple of years. Why hide such a fact?
No-one's hiding the fact. But there's something decidedly strange about glorying in it.
It is not glorying in it. It is the fact it deserves for a a release. As I said, what is the difference between a aging Jerry Lee Lewis who is not the same that he was since the 80s and the last year of Elvis' life. Every singer has ups and downs. By giving this idea that Aloha was his last special is stupid to say the least. It is the same with Song of the South and those who believes it is about slavery and shouldn't be release when it doesn't even take place during then. If you want to say that people who are glorying it then it should be said to Graceland not to display any jumpsuits after 1973. Because you can tell he was getting over weight then.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Elvis' weight is not the biggest problem in the CBS Special. He looks very ill, his face is all puffy and pale, his eyes are half-closed and his voice is nasal and slurred.

If CBS had done a TV Special of Elvis' March/April 1975 Vegas concerts I'm sure it would have been a success. Here he was in fine voice and looked healthy even though he was quite overweight. The song choices were also much better.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:Common Sense is also that everyone who is a Elvis fan knows that he was in bad health in his last couple of years. Why hide such a fact?
No-one's hiding the fact. But there's something decidedly strange about glorying in it.
It is not glorying in it. It is the fact it deserves for a a release. As I said, what is the difference between a aging Jerry Lee Lewis who is not the same that he was since the 80s and the last year of Elvis' life. Every singer has ups and downs. By giving this idea that Aloha was his last special is stupid to say the least. It is the same with Song of the South and those who believes it is about slavery and shouldn't be release when it doesn't even take place during then. If you want to say that people who are glorying it then it should be said to Graceland not to display any jumpsuits after 1973. Because you can tell he was getting over weight then.
Jerry lee Lewis is a 78 year old, suffering from old age. Elvis was a 42 year old who was seriously ill, mostly through his own doing. There is a vast difference.

r&b

Post by r&b »

elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Would he have wanted this footage out there? No.

Kinda putting words in Elvis' mouth. We all can't 100% say what he would of wanted.
We can use common sense. Fans watching EIC for enjoyment is akin to collecting all the home video footage of a close relative and then deciding that you want to watch the tape of when they were most ill rather than when they were happy and healthy.

I re-watched the EIC footage about three weeks ago - not through choice - and found no enjoyment in it whatsoever, and can't see how anyone could find enjoyment in it other than through the obsessive nature of needing to have everything.

Common Sense. Hmmmmm, ok Common Sense is that although you don't find any enjoyment in it whatsoever as you say, that others including myself does. It is not because Elvis was at the top of his gain. Of course he wasn't. But songs like My Way which I say it alot better than Aloha version. Or songs like Unchained Melody, or You Gave Me A Mountain. Or How Great Thou Art. A sick man who is in the final days of his life giving a good performance of these songs. Not a great performance but a good one. Common Sense is that you don't nor do I nor does anyone else knows exactly what Elvis would wanted for this footage at all. That is the true Common Sense. You are not no Elvis. Neither am I and I don't think anyone else on here is either. Saying a comment like "Would he have wanted this footage out there? No" is just reaching out there. Common Sense is also that everyone who is a Elvis fan knows that he was in bad health in his last couple of years. Why hide such a fact? Now do I think everything should be available officially? On the fence on that. I don't think Desert Storm should be but on the other hand FTD is for the hardcore collectors so let it be for them. Let the fans decide what they want and not want.

As for home movies, let me say this. I have video of my grandmother (my dad's mom). She lived from 1892 to 1992. She liked only a few months of making it to 100 years old. Do I find enjoyment in seeing her? Yes I do. Even though she was in bad health because of her age, I find enjoyment in seeing her again. See I was born in 1982. I remember her very well. But I have home movies of her from the 60s and 70s. I find enjoyment in those as well. So your common sense has just been shot down.
No way. Im no fan of the song, but Aloha is way better. His breath control alone is superiror.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

r&b wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Would he have wanted this footage out there? No.

Kinda putting words in Elvis' mouth. We all can't 100% say what he would of wanted.
We can use common sense. Fans watching EIC for enjoyment is akin to collecting all the home video footage of a close relative and then deciding that you want to watch the tape of when they were most ill rather than when they were happy and healthy.

I re-watched the EIC footage about three weeks ago - not through choice - and found no enjoyment in it whatsoever, and can't see how anyone could find enjoyment in it other than through the obsessive nature of needing to have everything.

Common Sense. Hmmmmm, ok Common Sense is that although you don't find any enjoyment in it whatsoever as you say, that others including myself does. It is not because Elvis was at the top of his gain. Of course he wasn't. But songs like My Way which I say it alot better than Aloha version. Or songs like Unchained Melody, or You Gave Me A Mountain. Or How Great Thou Art. A sick man who is in the final days of his life giving a good performance of these songs. Not a great performance but a good one. Common Sense is that you don't nor do I nor does anyone else knows exactly what Elvis would wanted for this footage at all. That is the true Common Sense. You are not no Elvis. Neither am I and I don't think anyone else on here is either. Saying a comment like "Would he have wanted this footage out there? No" is just reaching out there. Common Sense is also that everyone who is a Elvis fan knows that he was in bad health in his last couple of years. Why hide such a fact? Now do I think everything should be available officially? On the fence on that. I don't think Desert Storm should be but on the other hand FTD is for the hardcore collectors so let it be for them. Let the fans decide what they want and not want.

As for home movies, let me say this. I have video of my grandmother (my dad's mom). She lived from 1892 to 1992. She liked only a few months of making it to 100 years old. Do I find enjoyment in seeing her? Yes I do. Even though she was in bad health because of her age, I find enjoyment in seeing her again. See I was born in 1982. I remember her very well. But I have home movies of her from the 60s and 70s. I find enjoyment in those as well. So your common sense has just been shot down.
No way. Im no fan of the song, but Aloha is way better. His breath control alone is superiror.
The arrangement is more sophisticated too, not least the violin counterpoint in the 2nd verse, which I've always thought was a nice touch. The EIC arrangement lacks, well, an arrangement!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
You do the maths.
You do the thinking.
You supply the night, baby, I'll supply the love.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
You do the maths.
You do the thinking.
You supply the night, baby, I'll supply the love.
You know what she did? She named the night.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Jerry lee Lewis is a 78 year old, suffering from old age. Elvis was a 42 year old who was seriously ill, mostly through his own doing. There is a vast difference.

But Jerry Lee Lewis stills tours, makes videos. Not the same person as he was in the 80s on back. Face it. Jerry Lee now sounds awful now. But has it ruined his career. No it has not. It will be the same for Elvis. People knows that people ages. People has problems. People becomes ill. I bet that people will accept him just as he was. An entertainer giving his all to his fans, right to the end. Reguardless if he was 100% or not. People aren't dumb anymore.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvislennon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

But Jerry Lee Lewis stills tours, makes videos. Not the same person as he was in the 80s on back. Face it. Jerry Lee now sounds awful now. But has it ruined his career. No it has not. It will be the same for Elvis. People knows that people ages. People has problems. People becomes ill. I bet that people will accept him just as he was. An entertainer giving his all to his fans, right to the end. Reguardless if he was 100% or not. People aren't dumb anymore.
Yes, Lewis should have retired a few years back. There's little doubting that. But that's not the point. He's old. Elvis was 42, ill, and barely able to speak let alone sing. An old man not willing to give up live performing is very different to a sick man being on stage, wandering around like a half-dazed polar bear, bellowing his way through songs with virtually no musicality or vocal control, barely able to speak, making aeroplane noises, and wiggling his rather ample butt in an effort to relive glory days that were less than a decade earlier.
elvis 68.jpg
elvis 772.jpg
Nine years separate those pictures. NINE. And you're comparing Jerry Lee Lewis to how he was THIRTY years ago. There is nothing, NOTHING, to enjoy in seeing the physical decline of Elvis that took place in less than a decade. From the prime of life to, quite frankly, a wreck in nine years is one of the saddest stories in show business. No-one needs to be reminded of it. And there is certainly no need to release that footage just so certain fans can try desperately to find something worthwhile in it. For those morbid enough to want to see it, it is out there. The original album is out there and has remained in print for 37 years, and will probably get the FTD treatment at some point, I guess. That's more than enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

What I am saying is this.....Right now is Jerry Lee Lewis tarnishing his career by still performing? No he is not. Same way with Elvis' last year - 1977. No matter it is Elvis from 1968 or Elvis in 1977. It will not tarnished him at all. People are more aware now since back then. More wiser now. I would agree if it was the early 80s. But now, everyone knows it. All a person has to do is type Elvis Live, Elvis Concert. Scroll down some and there you have it. Just type in Elvis Live on YouTube for example....Three are from 1977.....One just audio with photos and two are My Way from Rapid City. Now again, type in Elvis Concert......hmmmm, Four videos of him in 1977. That is just typing those words in. So it is easy to find by typing. Has it tarnished him now. No it has not. Maybe in your mind it will. But it shows the real side of Elvis. His human side. Everyone has problems. You can't hide it at all.

Elvis In Concert is part of his legacy just as 68 and Aloha are.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I voted yes. Call me selfish, but I want everything... the good and the bad.

EDIT: Oops! Wrong topic.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

drjohncarpenter

elvislennon wrote:What I am saying is this.....Right now is Jerry Lee Lewis tarnishing his career by still performing? No he is not. Same way with Elvis' last year - 1977. No matter it is Elvis from 1968 or Elvis in 1977. It will not tarnished him at all. People are more aware now since back then. More wiser now. I would agree if it was the early 80s. But now, everyone knows it. All a person has to do is type Elvis Live, Elvis Concert. Scroll down some and there you have it. Just type in Elvis Live on YouTube for example....Three are from 1977.....One just audio with photos and two are My Way from Rapid City. Now again, type in Elvis Concert......hmmmm, Four videos of him in 1977. That is just typing those words in. So it is easy to find by typing. Has it tarnished him now. No it has not. Maybe in your mind it will. But it shows the real side of Elvis. His human side. Everyone has problems. You can't hide it at all.

Do you actually bother to read the replies people are writing on this topic you started?

There is a VAST difference between YouTube uploads, one likely watched over and over by a sub-set of "fans" who enjoy seeing Presley suffering on stage, and a formal, official DVD release.

As I already wrote, such an retail effort requires approval by the parent company and then setting a budget for:

a) location and restoration of the footage;
b) handling all the related legal aspects;
c) contracting for production of the physical media (and likely an iTunes download offshoot);
d) media advertising of the item.

This is not something that can be quietly launched.

It is absurd to believe any such approval would be forthcoming, and all of the above are mandatory for such a release.

Get it now?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

elvislennon wrote:What I am saying is this.....Right now is Jerry Lee Lewis tarnishing his career by still performing? No he is not. Same way with Elvis' last year - 1977. No matter it is Elvis from 1968 or Elvis in 1977. It will not tarnished him at all. People are more aware now since back then. More wiser now. I would agree if it was the early 80s. But now, everyone knows it. All a person has to do is type Elvis Live, Elvis Concert. Scroll down some and there you have it. Just type in Elvis Live on YouTube for example....Three are from 1977.....One just audio with photos and two are My Way from Rapid City. Now again, type in Elvis Concert......hmmmm, Four videos of him in 1977. That is just typing those words in. So it is easy to find by typing. Has it tarnished him now. No it has not. Maybe in your mind it will. But it shows the real side of Elvis. His human side. Everyone has problems. You can't hide it at all.

You cannot compare a few you tube clips to a major video release that will gather much more attention. It gets advertised, reviewed, talked about on TV & radio shows, etc. There is a vast difference. I hope you come to realize this.

Justin

Post by Justin »

elvislennon wrote:Elvis In Concert is part of his legacy just as 68 and Aloha are.
Stop using this ridiculously tired rationale. His legacy is as strong as it is because of career successes like the 68 Comeback Special and Aloha...not because of Elvis In Concert. Accept it.

Hans
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Hans »

The truth hurts, doesn't it Justin? Why wind up so much about something that won't see the light of day anyway?

There is not much respect from the people who are against a release for the people who wouldn't mind. The impact a release would have gets highly exaggerated btw.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

I never see it happening. EIC had a few decent performances of songs (i.e Hurt) but the bad far outweighs the good here.

samses
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by samses »

There is no need to release EIC. All the stuff is out there already for the collectors to have. För the mainstream market a release would hurt the work regarding Elvis music and career that Ernst Jorgensen has done for more than 20 years now. Regarding pro-shot footage, future releases should of course come from the outtakes from TTWII and EOT. There is still a lot of completely unseen footage there with Elvis Presley on top of his game.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

I think it is important to remember, we all have different opinions, and after all the discussion, analysis and venting of feelings on the subject, we are not likely to change the situation one jot. Those in ownership of the footage do not want it released. If one agrees or disagrees with that decision will not affect any change.
For now, it is staying where it is under lock down.

E.P.E. Probably will hold on to this until the end of the Elvis legacy.

Even today, it would doubt if the financial cost of producing and distributing such a DVD would be recouped, so why do it?

I think E.P.E. See Elvis now as a brand, a product, and they do not want to release anything that will harm the image of the product, meaning EIC. The return is not worth the damage to their precious product line.
Any decent financial advisor would warn off from hurting the reputation of your sole product.

drjohncarpenter

Scoobie wrote:I think it is important to remember, we all have different opinions, and after all the discussion, analysis and venting of feelings on the subject, we are not likely to change the situation one jot. Those in ownership of the footage do not want it released. If one agrees or disagrees with that decision will not affect any change.
For now, it is staying where it is under lock down.

E.P.E. Probably will hold on to this until the end of the Elvis legacy.

Even today, it would doubt if the financial cost of producing and distributing such a DVD would be recouped, so why do it?

I think E.P.E. See Elvis now as a brand, a product, and they do not want to release anything that will harm the image of the product, meaning EIC. The return is not worth the damage to their precious product line.
Any decent financial advisor would warn off from hurting the reputation of your sole product.
Perhaps some at EPE also have a modicum of respect for Elvis' artistic legacy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

"wandering around like a half-dazed polar bear, bellowing his way through songs with virtually no musicality or vocal control, barely able to speak, making aeroplane noises, and wiggling his rather ample butt in an effort to relive glory days that were less than a decade earlier".

very nice! I would never be so insulting and disrespectful to someone who gave so much. thats exhibit A of why your approach-style-whatever just doesnt suit me.