Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis SUN stuff ?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Just bin playing the wonderful Elvis Presley Legacy Edition, great value and top top sound, it got me thinking where could u get the same sort of value and audio for his SUN stuff if u cant afford the TUPELO set ? will a SUN LEGACY ever surface ?

Re: Elvis SUN stuff ?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 pm

image.jpg
Maybe in the future we will indeed see a ' Legacy ' edition of the Sun stuff but always liked this release before ABFT was available .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Elvis at Sun (2004) is a fine release with excellent sound quality and is usually reasonably priced. I sought out the US version as it has no copy protection, for ripping to itunes etc.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 pm

If you want to stick with Sony..

You can pick up a 2nd hand copy of Sunrise, on Amazon, fairly cheaply at the moment. That has all the masters, some outtakes/alternates and live material, on 2 discs.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunrise-Elvis-Presley/dp/B00000HZTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404816484&sr=8-1&keywords=elvis+sunrise

Elvis At Sun, contains mainly masters, and is a neat compilation. Probably my 'go to' CD for quick listening.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-At-Sun-Presley/dp/B000266XD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404816608&sr=8-1&keywords=elvis+at+sun

I would expect another Sun release is in the pipeline.. probably a scaled down version of 'A Boy From Tupelo'. Time will tell for sure.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:18 pm

I HOPE SO, i did get this recently in the new book format Elvis - The King Of Rock 'N' Roll - The Complete 50's Masters
its a great 5 cd set, but like many i long for an upgrade from 90s audio into Legacy quality, but for value on Amazon its still a nice addition ............

Also on THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS on the first disc

Harbor Lights

I Love You Because

That's All Right

Blue Moon Of Kentucky

Blue Moon

Tomorrow Night

I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')

I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine

Just Because

Good Rockin' Tonight

Milkcow Blues Boogie

You're A Heartbreaker

I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone (slow version)

Baby Let's Play House

I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone

I Forgot To Remember To Forget

Mystery Train

Trying To Get To You

When It Rains, It Really Pours

I Got A Woman

Heartbreak Hotel

Money Honey

I'm Counting On You

I Was The One

did they remaster those from scratch or reuse the old Elvis At Sun reworks ?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Just bin playing the wonderful Elvis Presley Legacy Edition, great value and top top sound, it got me thinking where could u get the same sort of value and audio for his SUN stuff if u cant afford the TUPELO set ? will a SUN LEGACY ever surface ?

As others have noted, use Elvis At Sun for the go-to disc on Presley's Sun period, and expect that some kind of extensive package will be forthcoming. Avoid any and every "grey market" release.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Cheers Doc, a Legacy release would really be the go to release when we get it .............

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

My prediction is that FTD will do a 'classic album' reissue of "the Sun collection" from 1975. It gives them the opportunity to re-release all the same material again in a different sized packet, to include 2 cd's with the live IFTRTF used as another 'carrot'.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Tony.. wrote:My prediction is that FTD will do a 'classic album' reissue of "the Sun collection" from 1975. It gives them the opportunity to re-release all the same material again in a different sized packet, to include 2 cd's with the live IFTRTF used as another 'carrot'.

That's sounds very plausible.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:21 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Cheers Doc, a Legacy release would really be the go to release when we get it .............

I remember a few years ago Elvis At Sun was selling fo £5 at ASDA shopping centre....
Last edited by mysterytrainrideson on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Mike C wrote:
Tony.. wrote:My prediction is that FTD will do a 'classic album' reissue of "the Sun collection" from 1975. It gives them the opportunity to re-release all the same material again in a different sized packet, to include 2 cd's with the live IFTRTF used as another 'carrot'.

I wouldn't place any bets on that idea. ;-)

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:

I wouldn't place any bets on that idea. ;-)

I hope you know something we don't. Another FTD release of the Sun material would be pointless.

The material and work that went into "A Boy From Tupelo" needs to see a mainstream release and reach as wide an audience as possible, along with the live recording of "I Forgot to Remember to Forget". The only thing I can't work out is whether it would be better to make it a 2 or 3 disc set. Initially I thought 3 discs would be overkill for a mainstream release with too much repetition of material but after seeing Sony give the 8 CD / 2 DVD "That's the Way It Is" Deluxe Edition the green light I'd be surprised if we don't get the lot now. I'm also intrigued to find out how they will package it...will it be the standard size of the regular Legacy Edition albums, will it take the shape of the "Prince From Another Planet" and "Elvis at Stax" releases or will they go along the lines of "Young Man with the Big Beat"?

I think January 2015 would be a nice time to release such a set, on what would have been his 80th birthday although I can see them waiting until next summer to give the "That's the Way It Is" releases some time to breathe.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Sounds like a good idea Tony but I would hope any upcoming SUN collection would be a mainstream release...

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Sony have missed the boat. Again. The time for the Sun package was last weekend. It didn't happen - although Sony did see fit to mark the anniversary of the 1974 Memphis concert earlier in the year which, of course, was a much more important milestone.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Sony have missed the boat. Again. The time for the Sun package was last weekend. It didn't happen - although Sony did see fit to mark the anniversary of the 1974 Memphis concert earlier in the year which, of course, was a much more important milestone.

Sony are known to be late in celebrating things, so it's possible we may see a legacy release of the Sun Recordings.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Indeed! Are they not celebrating the all-important 44th anniversary of TTWII in splendid fashion? :mrgreen:

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:19 am

The man in charge of the Elvis catalogue is a fan - it's not like the anniversary crept up and no-one noticed.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:33 am

poormadpeter wrote:The man in charge of the Elvis catalogue is a fan - it's not like the anniversary crept up and no-one noticed.

Quit attacking without cause, and pay attention to discussions in which you participate. Thank you.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It was up to the Elvis estate and Sony to get behind the whole thing - re-release the single, include the vinyl single in a legacy edition of the Sun Collection, make sure the press new of the significance etc. It reeks of sheer laziness.

You often condemn without knowledge of how Presley projects evolve, or understanding of decisions for the retail market.

Laziness has nothing to do with the 2014 Elvis releases. The one/s coming this summer were chosen by corporate, and not everything initially planned made their final selection/s.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83642&p=1302538#p1302538

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Heres something i recently did, get it if u wish ........

This new compilation features outtakes , rare live concert performances , and interviews, all restored and volume matched. If you enjoy hearing Elvis from the very beginning this is a great listen, its also a conscious choice to stay away from his more well known hits and allows u to delve deeper into his early days ............

My Happiness
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Harbor Lights
I Love You Because
I'm Counting On You
I Forgot to Remember to Forget
I Got A Woman
Dialogue
Blue Moon of Kentucky
I Beg of You
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Shake, Rattle And Roll
Loving You
I'll Never Stand In Your Way
It Wouldn't Be the Same Without You
Fool, Fool, Fool
I Was The One
Love Me Tender
Little Mama
Maybellene
Tweedle Dee
I Forgot to Remember to Forget (Live)
Interview With Mae Boren Axton
Interview with Bob Neal

FLAC

https://mega.co.nz/#!s8MFXITR!fsDpHyL6A ... TYgszL0jZg

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The man in charge of the Elvis catalogue is a fan - it's not like the anniversary crept up and no-one noticed.

Quit attacking without cause, and pay attention to discussions in which you participate. Thank you.

First and foremost, I have never EVER taken orders from you, and sure as hell don't intend to start now.

Meanwhile, I don't think anybody would believe that YOU think this anniversary should have gone unnoticed by Elvis's record company.

What's more, your unsubstantiated comments about corporate decisions etc are just that - unsubstantiated comments. Yes, I'm sure you'd like us to think that you have inside knowledge...just like you did when you said in 2009 that "The only FTD book coming is the SUN project." There were actual 7 more books before THAT arrived.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:33 pm

poormadpeter wrote:What's more, your unsubstantiated comments about corporate decisions etc are just that - unsubstantiated comments.

It's clear to most that I don't type out of my backside when I make such claims. The statement I made to you in another topic (and copied above) is fact.

I accept that some will be dismissive, that's human nature.

But no one can say I didn't try. :smt023

Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:What's more, your unsubstantiated comments about corporate decisions etc are just that - unsubstantiated comments.

It's clear to most that I don't type out of my backside when I make such claims. The statement I made to you in another topic (and copied above) is fact.

I accept that some will be dismissive, that's human nature.

But no one can say I didn't try. :smt023

Yeah, we believe it - cos you say so.

You're the first person to come on here and ask people to substantiate their comments, but you really don't like it when people ask you to substantiate yours, and then go into "I can't give my sources" mode, which is extremely convenient for you.

You made the comment in another thread, and I chose not to reply to it. By repeating the comment here, you force me to. By advertising your own posts so blatantly, you force people into giving their opinion on them, even when they have already decided that keeping quiet was the way forward.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:43 am

poormadpeter wrote:You're the first person to come on here and ask people to substantiate their comments, but you really don't like it when people ask you to substantiate yours, and then go into "I can't give my sources" mode, which is extremely convenient for you.

Straw man argument.

As for your latest false accusation, it is not hyperbole to note I have substantiated more facts in my posts than any other member of this forum, by a very substantial margin. Anyone may see I go to great lengths to properly attribute names, places, dates, timelines and more, and often much of this gathered information is exclusive to FECC.

You of course know all this, but your chosen role here is to cause rancor, often against all logic or rational thought.

Sometimes, it is amusing. Carry on. :smt023

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 am

dennyelvis wrote:Heres something i recently did, get it if u wish ........

This new compilation features outtakes , rare live concert performances , and interviews, all restored and volume matched. If you enjoy hearing Elvis from the very beginning this is a great listen, its also a conscious choice to stay away from his more well known hits and allows u to delve deeper into his early days ............

My Happiness
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Harbor Lights
I Love You Because
I'm Counting On You
I Forgot to Remember to Forget
I Got A Woman
Dialogue
Blue Moon of Kentucky
I Beg of You
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy