Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm

EPA4368 wrote:I doubt Elvis cared what other people thought of his karate, he loved doing it and fans enjoyed it.

I'd say he just didn't feel like doing any karate and the Aloha Special either. Elvis did Elvis: That's the Way It Is '70, a follow-up was another musical documentary, Elvis on Tour '72 and I think he would've wanted to tour overseas instead of doing a special to be broadcast live around the world. Probably knowing he would be back in Vegas didn't help him feel any better either.


And karate or not, we all know how things went after that, sadly.

I wish he lived a lot more.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm

A misconception about Karate.

If you do your karate exercise's and do everything your suppose to do in class you will advance.

If you stick with it long enough you can become a 1st degree black belt.

Being a black belt in karate doesn't mean that you are a bad ass killing machine.

I know a couple of people that have taken karate and gotten far enough to get brown belt but they aren't anywhere close to being Bruce Lee.

Even these karate tournaments are not real fights like boxing, UFC or kick boxing are.

It's based on a point system.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 pm

EPA4368 wrote:I doubt Elvis cared what other people thought of his karate, he loved doing it and fans enjoyed it.

I'd say he just didn't feel like doing any karate and the Aloha Special either. Elvis did Elvis: That's the Way It Is '70, a follow-up was another musical documentary, Elvis on Tour '72 and I think he would've wanted to tour overseas instead of doing a special to be broadcast live around the world. Probably knowing he would be back in Vegas didn't help him feel any better either.


The worldwide satellite show was a bigger deal than touring overseas because it's not done very often.

Elvis was doing something groundbreaking with Aloha.

What should have happened is that Elvis should have done both it's not doing one over the other.

You do the Aloha concert and then you embark on international tour dates.

But if I had to pick only one I would do the satellite concert.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:50 pm

brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:I doubt Elvis cared what other people thought of his karate, he loved doing it and fans enjoyed it.

I'd say he just didn't feel like doing any karate and the Aloha Special either. Elvis did Elvis: That's the Way It Is '70, a follow-up was another musical documentary, Elvis on Tour '72 and I think he would've wanted to tour overseas instead of doing a special to be broadcast live around the world. Probably knowing he would be back in Vegas didn't help him feel any better either.


The worldwide satellite show was a bigger deal than touring overseas because it's not done very often.

Elvis was doing something groundbreaking with Aloha
.


Sounds like what Parker said to Elvis after "Wild In The Country" and "Flaming Star"… "We do it your way, we don't make money."

Although it may be true in $$$, it's not what Elvis wanted or needed at that time in both his professional and personal life

brian wrote:What should have happened is that Elvis should have done both it's not doing one over the other.

You do the Aloha concert and then you embark on international tour dates.


+1

brian wrote:But if I had to pick only one I would do the satellite concert.


I pick touring overseas.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm

He wasn't flailing around..from what I can see he's doing one of his Kata's. A Kata is a certain fighting sequences that have to be memorizing before you can achieve your next belt. The karate never bothered me, it's that half splits that he seem to think was impressive that I thought was odd. Most people cant do the full splits and had he done that I would of been impressed. All I remember thinking whenever I watch TTWII is "heck I can do that"

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm

charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,


phpBB [video]

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:I doubt Elvis cared what other people thought of his karate, he loved doing it and fans enjoyed it.

I'd say he just didn't feel like doing any karate and the Aloha Special either. Elvis did Elvis: That's the Way It Is '70, a follow-up was another musical documentary, Elvis on Tour '72 and I think he would've wanted to tour overseas instead of doing a special to be broadcast live around the world. Probably knowing he would be back in Vegas didn't help him feel any better either.


The worldwide satellite show was a bigger deal than touring overseas because it's not done very often.

Elvis was doing something groundbreaking with Aloha
.


Sounds like what Parker said to Elvis after "Wild In The Country" and "Flaming Star"… "We do it your way, we don't make money."

Although it may be true in $$$, it's not what Elvis wanted or needed at that time in both his professional and personal life .


No.

How many worldwide Satellite concerts do you see entertainers doing????.

Not very many meanwhile touring overseas is a dime a dozen.

It's been said that Elvis was super excited to be doing Aloha and he considered it an honor and a privilege.

Dick Grob and John Wilkinson have both talked about Elvis' desire to do more satellite concerts.

Other entertainers would have jumped at the chance to do one because it was very prestigious.

Aloha was a bigger deal than an overseas tour would have been.

Doing both is what Elvis would have wanted though.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 pm

charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha.



Question answered, topic done.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:31 pm

To my best knowledge, Elvis' reputation in the Karate World ain't that bad, not because of his karate skills but because of promoting this art to a wider publicity.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 pm

No, that's karate.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 am

robbie wrote:
charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,


phpBB [video]


The Karate thing was simply a show act - He's the King!

(is this the Pittsburgh sample you promised 8) )

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:14 am

G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,


phpBB [video]


The Karate thing was simply a show act - He's the King!

(is this the Pittsburgh sample you promised 8) )



73 :?

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:04 am

I've always liked the karate. I think it made the endings of Polk Salad Annie and Suspicious Minds more impressive and it always silenced those claiming he no longer moved around on stage as much as he used to. The 1974 karate demonstrations and dialogues were a step too far though.

Topic change - Why did Elvis not do karate in the Aloha Special?

Marty Pasetta says in interviews that he was trying to make the Aloha Special as exciting as possible; Elvis strolling the stage and singing was not enough to entertain billions worldwide... and yet this is effectively what the Aloha Special turned out to be. Karate would have made the Aloha special more energetic and exciting. Elvis and Marty should have been bolder. All those stage lights were not enough to make the show more exciting.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm

The Aloha show hade to be timed excactly. Apparently Elvis was very focused on keeping the time and delivering a perfect vocal. Unfortunately that meant that he did not move around as much as he normally did.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:48 pm

robbie wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,


phpBB [video]


The Karate thing was simply a show act - He's the King!

(is this the Pittsburgh sample you promised 8) )



73 :?

I know it's Pittsburgh '73 and not '76. Didn't you get my hint?
I mean: Boy, how I would love to see a new trailer for the NYE show!

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:04 pm

samses wrote:The Aloha show hade to be timed excactly. Apparently Elvis was very focused on keeping the time and delivering a perfect vocal. Unfortunately that meant that he did not move around as much as he normally did.


Delivering a perfect vocal? Thats not what i think when i watch aloha from hawaii, It's a great show, but some songs just werent performed good (Suspicious minds for instance, considering only half a year earlier elvis rocked out MSG with this song!)

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:05 pm

personally I love the karate endings to PSA and SA. Plenty of artists let loose physically to their music and seeing EP doing this to two songs where the band are cranking it up worked for me. Equally, I always enjoy the movement on Proud Mary. Just another thought, EP may not have been a true 8th dan black belt but I don't doubt he was a black belt fair and square. Also, knowing how much Elvis through himself into passions I suspect he will have known the topic in side out even if he could not do all of the moves.

cheers

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,




phpBB [video]


The Karate thing was simply a show act - He's the King!

(is this the Pittsburgh sample you promised 8) )



73 :?

I know it's Pittsburgh '73 and not '76. Didn't you get my hint?
I mean: Boy, how I would love to see a new trailer for the NYE show!


Just to wet your appetite more a :smt038

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 pm

robbie wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
robbie wrote:
charro1971 wrote:
robbie wrote:1973 :D


phpBB [video]



Ah, nice find. So Elvis did do karate in some shows in 1973 but not in Aloha. Anyone know what song Elvis could be doing karate for in this video?

The Aloha special was the ideal opportunity for Elvis to show off his karate. It would have made the show more impressive visually. Still can't understand why he didn't do it.


its the ending of suspicious minds,

putting karate in with his music pure was magic he was not supposed to look like he was about to kill someone, i cant believe that some here say it s laughable,




phpBB [video]


The Karate thing was simply a show act - He's the King!

(is this the Pittsburgh sample you promised 8) )



73 :?

I know it's Pittsburgh '73 and not '76. Didn't you get my hint?
I mean: Boy, how I would love to see a new trailer for the NYE show!


Just to wet your appetite more a :smt038

Don't be cruel

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Its up to the man in the big chair :smt102 my guess would be weekend :smt102

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm

robbie wrote:Its up to the man in the big chair :smt102 my guess would be weekend :smt102


You should not play lottery :lol:

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 pm

I'll chip my opinion in that the karate stuff looked cool. Elvis may have taken himself far more seriously about karate than his skill level warranted while offstage, admittedly it was painful to read Hebler's harsh assessment and humiliating anecdotes of such as I did recently in What Happened? But I don't think E considered the karate choreography to be any kind of expert's demonstration. I think criticising the moves for not being such is also taking it all way too seriously. It was a healthy form of exercise and a hobby that was consistent with his Eastern spiritual philosophy - overall a very positive thing IMO.

On stage it was energetic and fun! At least I think it looks great in the EOT footage, especially in symetrical double image split screen. There is a kitch factor, sure, but the same can be said for the "buhm buhm buhm" arm move in Sweet Caroline, and other semi-choreographed bits. The same goes for Elvis' jumpsuits which in all relevance started off fashioned after karate gee's, did they not? In that regard alone it was a huge influence on his stage presentation.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

All his moves were typical Elvis and just add to the Legend, jumpsuit et al, in 20yrs time we all be saying how pathetic twerking was ..............

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:47 pm

:D I like the Karate stuff myself..... that nice clip from Pittsburgh 1973 is probably from end of Sus Minds.Not doing any in Aloha certainly DID devalue the performance by not ending Sus Minds with it as he had done in 1972.

Re: Why did Elvis stop doing karate on stage in 1973?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:11 am

Personally, I always thought it was Elvis's equivalent of Dads dancing at a wedding. In both cases, it was thought to look cool by the active participant, but many of the onlookers wondered why a middle-aged man was moving around in a strange way with his arms waving around.