Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Was Kurt Russell the voice of Elvis in Forrest Gump?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 am

I was just reading this article about the movie Forrest Gump. If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to rent it/download it, whatever. It's fabulous! Anyway, this article says Kurt Russell "claims" to have been the voice of Elvis (see #8 in this list). Anyone know the facts about this? There must be some confusion since it says Kurt "claims" to be the voice of Elvis. Has this been verified or disputed.

Elvisly,

Linda

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/07/04/fo ... ump-facts/

Re: Was Kurt Russell the voice of Elvis in Forrest Gump?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 am

This is the short clip of the Elvis scene in Forrest Gump. Obviously, the actor is not Kurt Russell, but can you tell if the voice is Kurt's? Just really curious about this.

Elvisly,

Linda

phpBB [video]

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 am

lovin' EP wrote:This is the short clip of the Elvis scene in Forrest Gump. Obviously, the actor is not Kurt Russell, but can you tell if the voice is Kurt's? Just really curious about this.

Elvisly,

Linda

phpBB [video]

Yes thats kurt russell :)

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:45 am

Must be hard bein' a king.

rjm
P.S. -- Thanks. Never knew it was him!

Sent via mobile

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:19 pm

From imdb.com:

Kurt Russell ... Elvis Presley (voice) (uncredited)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/ful ... cl_sm#cast

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Gump writer/director Robert Zemeckis gave Russell his first starring role in a theatrical film as an adult in Used Cars, shortly after Russell played Elvis. The acclaim and ratings success for his portrayal in the TV movie, rebooting his career from that of Disney live action teen star, is likely to have lead directly to him being cast in Used Cars (especially given Zemeckis is a lover of 50's Americana as evidenced by Back to The Future, and rock 'n' roll culture, see I Want to Hold Your Hand.) Surely Zemeckis would have remembered this when Gump began production. I immediately concluded it was Russell when first seeing this in theaters.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Not to overanalyze a clearly whimsical scene in a farcical film, but would there have been any chance Elvis could ever have stayed in a bed & breakfast boarding house near Savannah GA while touring prior to the Milton Berle appearance?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:17 pm

Brian In Atlanta wrote:Not to overanalyze a clearly whimsical scene in a farcical film, but would there have been any chance Elvis could ever have stayed in a bed & breakfast boarding house near Savannah GA while touring prior to the Milton Berle appearance?

If he was touring there it's possible that he could have stayed at one if he wanted.
in 1954 when the hysteria wasn't so bad.

The movie doesn't say he was staying at one right before the Milton Berle appearance.

Forrest Gump said some years later they saw him on t.v.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks, guys! Lots of good information. I still wonder why Kurt was "uncredited." :?

Elvisly,

Linda

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

lovin' EP wrote:I was just reading this article about the movie Forrest Gump. If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to rent it/download it, whatever. It's fabulous! Anyway, this article says Kurt Russell "claims" to have been the voice of Elvis (see #8 in this list). Anyone know the facts about this? There must be some confusion since it says Kurt "claims" to be the voice of Elvis. Has this been verified or disputed.

Elvisly,

Linda

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/07/04/forrest-gump-facts/

The only citation is apparently from Russell, so it is not verified. If the director ever chimes in that this is correct, that will confirm it.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

lovin' EP wrote:Thanks, guys! Lots of good information. I still wonder why Kurt was "uncredited." :?

It could be for a couple of reasons.

One likely reason is that SAG rules say that all actors appearing in a film must be paid a certain wage.

Kurt Russell could have done the voice of Elvis as just a favor to Robert Zemeckis and not wish to paid for it.

Not crediting Kurt Russell would be a way for him to do the voice and not have to be paid.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 pm

brian wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:Thanks, guys! Lots of good information. I still wonder why Kurt was "uncredited." :?

One likely reason is that SAG rules say that all actors appearing in a film must be paid a certain wage.

Kurt Russell could have done the voice of Elvis as just a favor to Robert Zemeckis and not wish to paid for it.

Not crediting Kurt Russell would be a way for him to do the voice and not have to be paid.

Or maybe ... it was not Russell's voice. ;-)

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:

Or maybe ... it was not Russell's voice. ;-)

If it wasn't the actor who did it is also uncredited.

I think it was Kurt Russell.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 pm

The actor playing Elvis in the film is Peter Dobson.

He has appeared in various movies and television series over the years.

He also played Elvis in one of David Stanley's crappy films.

I just thought that was interesting enough for people to know.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

brian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Or maybe ... it was not Russell's voice. ;-)

If it wasn't the actor who did it is also uncredited.

I think it was Kurt Russell.

I think it was Goldie Hawn.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Here's one more citation regarding Kurt Russell's voice in Forrest Gump. I think it was Kurt's voice. Thanks again guys.

Elvisly,

Linda

Peter Dobson as Elvis: a house guest Forrest encounters. Although Kurt Russell was uncredited, he provided the voice over for Elvis in the scene where Elvis meets Forrest.[13]

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:45 pm

It's Kurt. The dvd includes a commentary with Robert Zemeckis, producer Steve Starkey, and production designer Rick Carter in which it's confirmed. They knew Peter Dobson was an Elvis fan from working with him on the tv series Johnny Bago, and Zemeckis asked Kurt to provide the voice because of his portrayal in Elvis.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 pm

I think brian (the other one) is right on as to why Russell is not credited. There are lots of actor's union restrictions and other legal matters that result in voice acting going uncredited. Dustin Hoffman and Micheal Jackson' guest voice work on The Simpsons are both uncredited, for example.

If Russell says he did it, I think that's the only confirmation needed.

Plus, I trust my ears; I listened to the TV movie on audio cassette many times, played while falling asleep, and later saw it many times on video. His Elvis has a unique timbre from anyone else's, I recognized it immediately the first time I saw it. I would have bet you a thousand bucks it was him even before he confirmed it.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Zemeckis also made Tom Hanks' Castaway character an Elvis fan and featured Elvis in the soundtrack. Clearly Zemeckis is the real life fan. Russell's Emmy nominated performance is the the only universally acclaimed portrayal to this day, in a ratings triumph besting Gone With The Wind and One Flew over the Cockoo's Nest on competing networks. No way could all of this be lost on Zemeckis when he cast Russell in Used Cars immediately following. That role as a shady huckster was a major break for Russell, helping redefine his image and put his bland teen star image from movies like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and Superdad behind him. It was a hit and Russell got another round of good reviews. He would surely have felt indebted to Zemeckis, not to mention it would be very smart to do a favor for what was by then one of the hottest directors in Hollywood.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Robert Zemeckis didn't write the scripts for Forrest Gump or Cast Away.

those scenes were already written into the scripts before Robert Zemckis even signed on to direct the films.

Forrest Gump is actually an adaptation of a book that I haven't read but the Elvis story is probably in there.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Point granted, but Zemeckis was by then an A-list director whose films had an auteur's quality, dealing with themes of classic Americana in a highly commercial Spielbergian fashion. Given this, and his success as a screenwriter, he would undoubtably have tight control over the screenplay, including additions or subtractions, potentially including major changes that don't alter writer's credits because of union rules. If he'd preferred Hanks be a Doors fan from LA instead of an E fan from Memphis, it would have been so. Film is a director's medium, as Zemeckis demonstrated as strongly as most anyone during his heydey. There's no question these films demonstrate he is a fan.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 am

James77 wrote:It's Kurt. The dvd includes a commentary with Robert Zemeckis, producer Steve Starkey, and production designer Rick Carter in which it's confirmed. They knew Peter Dobson was an Elvis fan from working with him on the tv series Johnny Bago, and Zemeckis asked Kurt to provide the voice because of his portrayal in Elvis.

I'm not convinced, if the Doc has doubts then so do I!

Director's commentary be damned! :mrgreen:

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:26 am

All due respect to the Doc, who or what is a better source for credits confirmation than frigging IMDb.com ??? They say it, Russell says it, the filmmaker's commentary track says it. That's a case closed if I ever heard one. If they are all lying, then this is officially the most pointless conspiracy ever organized in the history of mankind.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:44 am

TINML wrote:
James77 wrote:It's Kurt. The dvd includes a commentary with Robert Zemeckis, producer Steve Starkey, and production designer Rick Carter in which it's confirmed. They knew Peter Dobson was an Elvis fan from working with him on the tv series Johnny Bago, and Zemeckis asked Kurt to provide the voice because of his portrayal in Elvis.

I'm not convinced, if the Doc has doubts then so do I!

Director's commentary be damned! :mrgreen:

It would be great to learn what exactly Robert Zemeckis "confirmed," since almost none of us have access to this DVD. According to one site review, the three voices are difficult to discern, not a good thing.

There are two commentaries, one by director Robert Zemeckis, producer Steve Starkey, and production designer Rick Carter, and a separate commentary by producer Wendy Finerman. The Zemeckis led group is informative, but my pet peeve of being unable to identify who is speaking makes it more like one super-knowledgeable person rather than three distinct persons.

http://www.cinemablend.com/dvds/Forrest-Gump-Box-of-Chocolates-Edition-4300.html

So, all we have in this conversation to date, in terms of answering the OP's question, is an IMDb entry, a site whose information is not always 100% accurate, and hearsay.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. ;-)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:Zemeckis also made Tom Hanks' Castaway character an Elvis fan and featured Elvis in the soundtrack.

There's also a minor reference in Used Cars, with Rudy Russo's classy Elvis lamp:

Since I mentioned the commentary- and am apparently the only one here with access to Forrest Gump on dvd :wink: - here's the relevant quote from the track:

Starkey: "...and then Bob also recalled that Kurt Russell had done an Elvis movie in his youth- and had probably done the best job of depicting Elvis on film- so Bob recruited Kurt Russell to put the voice in for Elvis in the film."