Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 am

JamieAKelley wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Strange reactions from Mysterytrainrideson and Promiseland. Not surprised though as they seem hell-bent to agonize Elvis fans.
What the hell they are wasting their time here is a more burning question.
If the vigil is not your cup of tea so be it, but why be happy about it ending?
Can't you stand if people still remember Elvis?

Again not liking the candle light vigil and saying so doesn't mean you aren't a fan.

Hell there are people that go to Elvis week every year that can't name ten songs of his.

Exactly, Brian. That's the saddest thing about these so-called fans at the vigil's, they know jacksh*t about the music and i thought that's what being an Elvis fan is all about. And not only that, it's all very embarrassing, standing with a load of people who know nothing.

Really? Because I've gone every year I go to Elvis Week and I can damn sure tell you differently. The vast majority of fans who go to Elvis Week may not be the massive geeks that we are, but they're not ignorant. They approach fandom differently, but that's not the same thing.

Not liking it is fine if it's not your thing, and some fans do know more than others (as I said), but idle judgement comes from those who "know nothing".

As the Vigil has gone on, there also has, from time to time, been a small number of those who are curious (in the not-so-positive way). Don't confuse them for fans - they don't generally stick around, as we don't feed "trolls". lol

So, like you say, most people at the vigils don't know much about the music, that's not an "Elvis Fan", they go just for the sake of being at an event.

I've never been to a vigil and do not intend on going to one either but from what i've heard and seen footage of these events, i'm sorry to say that these people come across to me as "idiots"....when these people are interviewed for newsreel footage at the vigils some of the things they say are idiotic and embarrassing - a bit like those silly fan comments in the TTWII movie.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:13 am

JamieAKelley wrote:Well, yes there are people that know very little. Frankly, most of those folks are there for the impersonators. They're the minority, and most aren't even Elvis fans really, since they don't go to Elvis-centric events that don't feature ETAs.

And I've gone to Elvis Week for 28 of my 34 years, so I know a number of the fan circles down there very well. I'm not speaking from ignorance. The majority of fans who go know his music much better than is being portrayed here. A decent portion of the original groups actually have some pretty interesting Elvis stories to share as well.

To go there for the impersonaters is even sadder....

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:19 am

The originator of this thread said he's been seeing rumors on Facebook about the candlelight vigil being discontinued, and suddenly RUMOR becomes reality. WTF. Get a grip, people.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:24 am

JerryNodak wrote:The originator of this thread said he's been seeing rumors on Facebook about the candlelight vigil being discontinued, and suddenly RUMOR becomes reality. WTF. Get a grip, people.

I couldn't careless about the vigils, just giving a few facts about them.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:So, like you say, most people at the vigils don't know much about the music, that's not an "Elvis Fan", they go just for the sake of being at an event.

I've never been to a vigil and do not intend on going to one either but from what i've heard and seen footage of these events, i'm sorry to say that these people come across to me as "idiots"....when these people are interviewed for newsreel footage at the vigils some of the things they say are idiotic and embarrassing - a bit like those silly fan comments in the TTWII movie.

No - that's not what I said at all. I said they aren't our level of geek, but they are fans and do know the music. I can't speak to the people who get interviewed, except to say that the media tends to look for the oddest/worst in the crowd. They are not the norm. Just as people shouldn't judge us on here by that standard just because we like Elvis as well, you can't judge the whole vigil by that standard. Period. I'm kinda shocked that I even have to say that, given how harshly Elvis and his fan base get judged when we know that's a load of garbage. I know quite a few people who go and they know their Elvis facts, even if they aren't all at the level of knowing session dates, etc.

To go there for the impersonaters is even sadder....

Odd as it may seem since I used to do this, I fully agree. Also, it should be noted, a number of the current ETAs would agree as well.

JerryNodak wrote:The originator of this thread said he's been seeing rumors on Facebook about the candlelight vigil being discontinued, and suddenly RUMOR becomes reality. WTF. Get a grip, people.

Oh, I thought we cleared this up in the first post page. No way is the Vigil cancelled - as I said it's the whole reason for Elvis Week... not sure how those crazy rumors get started. :facep: Then it turned into people badmouthing something they know nothing about and those of us who DO know better setting the record straight. :)

Kylan wrote:anyone who thinks candlelight is a religious experience is an idiot. its a time for fans to get together and remember that elvis gave us all who are there alot of happiness.. period.

Quoted for truth - and Kylan's been there too! Been a long time since I've said hi on here btw, hope you're doing well! :)

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:44 am

I don't find any appeal in the candlelight vigil and have no interest in attending, but for those fans who enjoy that type of thing it would be sad to see it go.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:03 am

The candlelight ceremony is an interesting phenomenon. You don't see this happening for any other entertainer, not even for the likes of Michael Jackson.
Though I personally feel a bit uncomfortable with certain elements of the ceremony, it has always been a good way of showing to the world that Elvis truly was in a class of his own.
And the media has always given it a lot of coverage. So overall, I think it is both positive and important for the Elvis world.
Having said that, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to let it come to an end on the 40th anniversary of his death, before the crowds really start dwindling.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:53 pm

People, isn't it the live broadcast of the vigil whose continuation has been questioned?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Rock Legend wrote:The candlelight ceremony is an interesting phenomenon. You don't see this happening for any other entertainer, not even for the likes of Michael Jackson.

I understand they have one for John Lennon on Strawberry Field Memorial "Central Park-New York" every year on December 10th since 1980, and although John Lennon is not buried there it is very crowded :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Imagine mosaic at Strawberry Field-Central Park.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 am

I attended for many years, the last being in 2002. Even then, the corporate trade show feel that was permeating Elvis Week was seeping into Candlelight.

Don't forget that the vigil started as a small group of fans, standing on a public sidewalk, honoring their hero. They didn't go on property. If the event reverts to something along those lines, it wouldn't necessarilly be a bad thing.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:22 am

Hmmmm, a rumour on FACEBOOK. Christ, get a life!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 am

I know Poormadpeter is a real fan but he doesn't seem like one on this thread. Jaime, you are so right about the media looking and actually creating weirdness. I was with a group of friends waiting in a line for some event when a camera crew came up and asked us to start singing Hound Dog. I told them to get lost but of course, some goofball in the line agreed and proceeded to become the embarrassing Elvis fan in the group. There's always an idiot around if you ask for one.

I never attended a vigil. I hung out across the street during a couple of them, listening to the music and talking about Elvis and his music with great Elvis friends. It was cool to witness even though I had no inclination to participate. I hope it goes on for many years to come.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 am

JamieAKelley wrote:And I've gone to Elvis Week for 28 of my 34 years, so I know a number of the fan circles down there very well. I'm not speaking from ignorance. The majority of fans who go know his music much better than is being portrayed here. A decent portion of the original groups actually have some pretty interesting Elvis stories to share as well.

Very true, Jamie. There are plenty of in-the-know Elvis fans at Elvis Week. Make no mistake about that. As for the vigil, I can take that or leave it, honestly. I did it one time, in 1997. I got in line at 6:30pm, and did not pass Elvis' grave until 12:45am. Never got out of line once for as much as a bathroom break. I am glad I did it that one time, but I vowed to never do it again, and I haven't. I can honor Elvis in many other ways than the Candlelight Vigil......

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 am

I was very glad I did it once in 2007, but it was a helluva long night. I got in line at about 7:30 PM and didn't pass the grave until just after 1AM. Supposedly the vigil lasted until dawn that year. It was incredibly fun to be there with other like minded fans who love Elvis as much as I do.

It will be interesting to see how the Vigil endures as the original fan base continues to slowly die off.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:09 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:

I couldn't careless about the vigils, just giving a few facts about them.

how can u give a qualified opinion (fact) about something you've never been to.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 am

ahh yes Jerry you are such a delight!

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:17 am

joekro1977 wrote:I was very glad I did it once in 2007, but it was a helluva long night. I got in line at about 7:30 PM and didn't pass the grave until just after 1AM. Supposedly the vigil lasted until dawn that year.

Anniversary years are huge - it'll go past 8am.

Used to be, we'd go down for the opening ceremony at 7:30/8:00pm, then hang until about 4am with fellow fans (a very cool, surreal kind of mood, there's really nothing like it - in a good way) and between 4-5am we'd go up since the line was a bit more thinned out. Anymore, except for an anniversary year, it's done before 4am. So it's been declining, but slowly. But, as someone pointed out, the whole week has become more marketed and less of the Elvis fan "semi-woodstock-like" experience it was in the '80s. I understand why that happens over time.. but man, I miss that!

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:38 am

Surprised at some of the comments here.

Who are we to judge what IQ the fans have that attend the vigil, you don't have to be a forum reading, audience recording CD collector to pay tribute to Elvis Presley, the man who shaped Rock N Roll Music itself into something unprecedented.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 am

memphisound wrote:Surprised at some of the comments here.

Who are we to judge what IQ the fans have that attend the vigil, you don't have to be a forum reading, audience recording CD collector to pay tribute to Elvis Presley, the man who shaped Rock N Roll Music itself into something unprecedented.

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 am

memphisound wrote:Surprised at some of the comments here.

I was also surprised at some of the comments here. Some could almost be characterized as "elitest" -- a notion our man would have hated.

We need to remember that Elvis' appeal was to the lowest strata of society and it took off from there. Because of his background, he had the "common touch," and it continues to this day. It's a very powerful thing, and believe me, there are LOTS of common folk on the street on Vigil night.

Maybe it's hard for some of you to grasp, but it has a lot to do with the American South. I live 5 hours drive north of Memphis and it's even hard for me to grasp. None of us can impose our idea of an Elvis Fan on anyone.

The music transcends all of it.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 am

This board elitist???? Nawwwww. :)

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 am

I don't think having objections to the Candle light vigils is elitist and it's not surprising that some feel uncomfortable about it.

All the points made in this thread against it are valid.

Some of the comments by the people who are for the Candle light vigil don't really seem to understand the opposition to it.

It doesn't mean that if you are opposed to the Vigil that you aren't a fan, are being a snob, or you hate Elvis or your fellow fans.

The posters on this board that have stated their opinion about it are bigger fans than a lot of the fans that do participate in it.

Disagreement is fine but it's not right to say that they aren't fans or are just being snobs about it.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:11 am

brian wrote:I don't think having objections to the Candle light vigils is elitist and it's not surprising that some feel uncomfortable about it.

Some of the comments by the people who are for the Candle light vigil don't really seem to understand the opposition to it.

It doesn't mean that if you are opposed to the Vigil that you aren't a fan, are being a snob, or you hate Elvis or your fellow fans.

The posters on this board that have stated their opinion about it are bigger fans than a lot of the fans that do participate in it.

Disagreement is fine but it's not right to say that they aren't fans or are just being snobs about it.

Brian, have you participated in the Vigil?

I'm still trying to understand your concept of "bigger fans."

There's a "put down" factor here in some of the posts on this thread that makes me uncomfortable. It always goes back to Elvis and where it all started.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 am

MaryAnn wrote:
brian wrote:I don't think having objections to the Candle light vigils is elitist and it's not surprising that some feel uncomfortable about it.

Brian, have you participated in the Vigil?

I'm still trying to understand your concept of "bigger fans."

There's a "put down" factor here in some of the posts on this thread that makes me uncomfortable. It always goes back to Elvis and where it all started.

I have not participated in the actual Vigil because for one thing it goes way past my bed time and it's not my cup of tea.

I mean by bigger fans is that the people on this board are all hardcore die hard Elvis fans that are very knowledgeable about him.

Not every Elvis fan that goes to Graceland for Elvis week or participates in the vigil is a huge fan.

Therefore it isn't right to have this attitude that if you do participate in the vigil you are a true Elvis fan and if you have opposition to it you aren't.

That's not true.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 am

elvisjock wrote:I attended for many years, the last being in 2002. Even then, the corporate trade show feel that was permeating Elvis Week was seeping into Candlelight.

Don't forget that the vigil started as a small group of fans, standing on a public sidewalk, honoring their hero. They didn't go on property. If the event reverts to something along those lines, it wouldn't necessarilly be a bad thing.

Ooooohhh... that was wet...