Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Strange reactions from Mysterytrainrideson and Promiseland. Not surprised though as they seem hell-bent to agonize Elvis fans.
What the hell they are wasting their time here is a more burning question.
If the vigil is not your cup of tea so be it, but why be happy about it ending?
Can't you stand if people still remember Elvis?


Again not liking the candle light vigil and saying so doesn't mean you aren't a fan.

Hell there are people that go to Elvis week every year that can't name ten songs of his.

Exactly, Brian. That's the saddest thing about these so-called fans at the vigil's, they know jacksh*t about the music and i thought that's what being an Elvis fan is all about. And not only that, it's all very embarrassing, standing with a load of people who know nothing.


Really? Because I've gone every year I go to Elvis Week and I can damn sure tell you differently. The vast majority of fans who go to Elvis Week may not be the massive geeks that we are, but they're not ignorant. They approach fandom differently, but that's not the same thing.


Yes, I am serious.

There are people that go to Elvis week that know very little about his music.

You would be surprised.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, yes there are people that know very little. Frankly, most of those folks are there for the impersonators. They're the minority, and most aren't even Elvis fans really, since they don't go to Elvis-centric events that don't feature ETAs.

And I've gone to Elvis Week for 28 of my 34 years, so I know a number of the fan circles down there very well. I'm not speaking from ignorance. The majority of fans who go know his music much better than is being portrayed here. A decent portion of the original groups actually have some pretty interesting Elvis stories to share as well.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:11 pm

brian wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Strange reactions from Mysterytrainrideson and Promiseland. Not surprised though as they seem hell-bent to agonize Elvis fans.
What the hell they are wasting their time here is a more burning question.
If the vigil is not your cup of tea so be it, but why be happy about it ending?
Can't you stand if people still remember Elvis?


Again not liking the candle light vigil and saying so doesn't mean you aren't a fan.

Hell there are people that go to Elvis week every year that can't name ten songs of his.

Exactly, Brian. That's the saddest thing about these so-called fans at the vigil's, they know jacksh*t about the music and i thought that's what being an Elvis fan is all about. And not only that, it's all very embarrassing, standing with a load of people who know nothing.


Really? Because I've gone every year I go to Elvis Week and I can damn sure tell you differently. The vast majority of fans who go to Elvis Week may not be the massive geeks that we are, but they're not ignorant. They approach fandom differently, but that's not the same thing.


Yes, I am serious.

There are people that go to Elvis week that know very little about his music.

You would be surprised.


You must have been there a number of times then Brian. :lol:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:15 pm

brian wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Strange reactions from Mysterytrainrideson and Promiseland. Not surprised though as they seem hell-bent to agonize Elvis fans.
What the hell they are wasting their time here is a more burning question.
If the vigil is not your cup of tea so be it, but why be happy about it ending?
Can't you stand if people still remember Elvis?


Again not liking the candle light vigil and saying so doesn't mean you aren't a fan.

Hell there are people that go to Elvis week every year that can't name ten songs of his.

Exactly, Brian. That's the saddest thing about these so-called fans at the vigil's, they know jacksh*t about the music and i thought that's what being an Elvis fan is all about. And not only that, it's all very embarrassing, standing with a load of people who know nothing.


Really? Because I've gone every year I go to Elvis Week and I can damn sure tell you differently. The vast majority of fans who go to Elvis Week may not be the massive geeks that we are, but they're not ignorant. They approach fandom differently, but that's not the same thing.


Yes, I am serious.

There are people that go to Elvis week that know very little about his music.

You would be surprised.


It's not a bad thing, maybe they leave bigger fans.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 am

I`m reminded of a famous quote by none other than Arthur "THE FONZ" Mr. Henry Winkler who once said, "...and I suppose your mother was just a mother"

ah sweet memories :wink:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:31 am

MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


Absolutely my pleasure. I love the vigil, I think it's awesome. Started by fans, and continued by fans (with Graceland's participation, ofcourse - because even though they'd be silly not to with all the publicity it gets now, it is still cool that they got involved with opening the grounds and security when the crowds got bigger all those years ago).

We may not feel the same way about the Insiders oddities, but this is huge. The Vigil is the reason Elvis Week exists - which is how I met SO MANY awesome fellow Elvis fans, enjoyed parties, got to meet people like Carl Perkins, DJ Fontana, The Jordanaires, Sam Phillips, and on and on. I used to get most of my Elvis CDs from the vendors at Elvis Week, too.

A lot of great experiences that would NOT have happened without the Vigil. So even if someone doesn't understand it, at least some respect would be nice. An Elvis-centric event that has stayed that way is nothing to sneeze at, either.

@Sweetangeline: Who you callin' 'muther? lol (sorry, couldn't resist)

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:35 am

MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:52 am

poormadpeter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.

In your opinion of course...

Some might think your interest in old films is, frankly, ridiculous. Or, me liking Elvis of the '70s, may seem ridiculous.

If people want to come out and celebrate Elvis 100 years after his death, let them. I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.


Randy

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:53 am

ranskal wrote:I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.


Randy



Nicely put.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:03 am

JamieAKelley wrote:Absolutely my pleasure. I love the vigil, I think it's awesome. Started by fans, and continued by fans (with Graceland's participation, ofcourse - because even though they'd be silly not to with all the publicity it gets now, it is still cool that they got involved with opening the grounds and security when the crowds got bigger all those years ago).We may not feel the same way about the Insiders oddities, but this is huge. The Vigil is the reason Elvis Week exists - which is how I met SO MANY awesome fellow Elvis fans, enjoyed parties, got to meet people like Carl Perkins, DJ Fontana, The Jordanaires, Sam Phillips, and on and on. I used to get most of my Elvis CDs from the vendors at Elvis Week, too.A lot of great experiences that would NOT have happened without the Vigil. So even if someone doesn't understand it, at least some respect would be nice. An Elvis-centric event that has stayed that way is nothing to sneeze at, either.@Sweetangeline: Who you callin' 'muther? lol (sorry, couldn't resist)


...Fonzi made that comment to Howard C. and it`s interesting to hear what exactly Howard said to make Fonzi go off...long story short I agree with your post here 100%

poormadpeter wrote:The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.


I can think of a few more achievements to add to your list...and I actually think you can too, but your probably just having one of those days so we will let it be :wink:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:14 am

ranskal wrote: I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.


...there are certain things said in life that you cannot argue with, no matter how much you may try...the quote above is definitely one!!

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 am

ranskal wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.

In your opinion of course...

Some might think your interest in old films is, frankly, ridiculous. Or, me liking Elvis of the '70s, may seem ridiculous.

If people want to come out and celebrate Elvis 100 years after his death, let them. I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.

Randy


An interest in something is one thing, hysteria is another - and that's exactly what we see with candlelit vigils and the like. People might have felt a connection to him, but there's nothing remotely rational about that. They didn't know him, he wasn't family, and he most certainly was a flawed human being. Admiring an artist and liking his music is one thing, yearly religious-style pilgrimages are another thing entirely - and, I might add, only adds to the reputation that Elvis fans are often obsessive in nature.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:19 am

...your obviously having a bad day, hold tight only 5 hrs and 16 min. left good luck :wink:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 am

sweetangeline wrote:...your obviously having a bad day, hold tight only 5 hrs and 16 min. left good luck :wink:


till what?

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:24 am

poormadpeter wrote:
ranskal wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.

In your opinion of course...

Some might think your interest in old films is, frankly, ridiculous. Or, me liking Elvis of the '70s, may seem ridiculous.

If people want to come out and celebrate Elvis 100 years after his death, let them. I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.

Randy


An interest in something is one thing, hysteria is another - and that's exactly what we see with candlelit vigils and the like. People might have felt a connection to him, but there's nothing remotely rational about that. They didn't know him, he wasn't family, and he most certainly was a flawed human being. Admiring an artist and liking his music is one thing, yearly religious-style pilgrimages are another thing entirely - and, I might add, only adds to the reputation that Elvis fans are often obsessive in nature.


Again, in your opinion....

With your logic, they should just shut Graceland down entirely. Have you ever been there?

Elvis was a flawed human being? Why because he got himself hooked on prescription meds? Every person has flaws. Your comment is a lame attempt to justify your point.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 am

poormadpeter wrote:An interest in something is one thing, hysteria is another - and that's exactly what we see with candlelit vigils and the like. People might have felt a connection to him, but there's nothing remotely rational about that. They didn't know him, he wasn't family, and he most certainly was a flawed human being. Admiring an artist and liking his music is one thing, yearly religious-style pilgrimages are another thing entirely - and, I might add, only adds to the reputation that Elvis fans are often obsessive in nature.


Wait.. we're on a message board dedicated to the music (specifically CDs) of a man who's been dead longer than the medium of CDs even existed (at least at mass-market). Hysteria is largely subjective no matter how much we like to tell ourselves otherwise. To some, even being on this message board would be considered hysteria. To paraphrase another poster on the thread: "He's been dead for 37 years. Move on already." But I don't see any of us doing that, and for good reason.

Speaking of, connecting to music isn't generally a rational thing, either.

I know what you're getting at, though. Problem is, it's still incorrect. Just as you don't want to be painted with same brush as the "obsessive"/crazed Elvis fanatics that made the news back in the 80s, you can't paint everybody who goes to it with that brush, either. Well, you can.... but there's nothing rational about assumption, especially with such a variable "x factor" as the human individual.

I'm not saying you have to like the idea of the Vigil. We've all got our likes and dislikes and that's fine. But the assumption and denigration on display here is quite a different story = and framing the Vigil as "religious devotion" is nothing short of both.
Last edited by JamieAKelley on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 am

ranskal wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ranskal wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.

In your opinion of course...

Some might think your interest in old films is, frankly, ridiculous. Or, me liking Elvis of the '70s, may seem ridiculous.

If people want to come out and celebrate Elvis 100 years after his death, let them. I don't think it continues because he changed music, it continues because he meant so much to people. People felt a connection with him, that's why he was so unique.

Randy


An interest in something is one thing, hysteria is another - and that's exactly what we see with candlelit vigils and the like. People might have felt a connection to him, but there's nothing remotely rational about that. They didn't know him, he wasn't family, and he most certainly was a flawed human being. Admiring an artist and liking his music is one thing, yearly religious-style pilgrimages are another thing entirely - and, I might add, only adds to the reputation that Elvis fans are often obsessive in nature.


Again, in your opinion....

With your logic, they should just shut Graceland down entirely. Have you ever been there?

Elvis was a flawed human being? Why because he got himself hooked on prescription meds? Every person has flaws. Your comment is a lame attempt to justify your point.


There are many reasons why Elvis was a flawed human being - just as there are many reasons that most of us are. But the life he led (not least refusing to take any form of control within his own life) is certainly not worthy of religious devotion.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 am

poormadpeter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:...your obviously having a bad day, hold tight only 5 hrs and 16 min. left good luck :wink:


till what?


...well I`m hoping that a new day will end this below;

JamieAKelley wrote: the assumption and denigration on display here is quite a different story.


sorry I had to spell it out so clearly :wink:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 am

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:...your obviously having a bad day, hold tight only 5 hrs and 16 min. left good luck :wink:


till what?


...well I`m hoping that a new day will end this below;



Ah yes, the eternal "everyone lives in the USA" syndrome.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:15 am

No one is forced to go.

If you don't care for it, fine. But live and let live!

rjm
P.S. -- BTW, if your bad day is already over, then you have a much longer wait till the end of the next one! :mrgreen:

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 am

Why in the hell would we get over it and let go of someone who means so much to us? Would I get over and let go of a close family member dying? Would I stop going to their graves because that's where I feel closest to them? HELL NO! It doesn't matter that most of us here on FECC never met the man. Hell, most of us probably weren't even alive while he was. But, that's all part of the magic that was Elvis and this is why we are the way we are over him. If the Candlelight Vigil stops Elvis Week is done for. For "fans" to come on here and say it's time to let go and get over it I have to question what type of fan they are to begin with. Not how much memorabilia they have. Not how many cds they have. But exactly what the man means to them. Wow

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:41 am

anyone who thinks candlelight is a religious experience is an idiot. its a time for fans to get together and remember that elvis gave us all who are there alot of happiness.. period. its not something i go to every yr or even often. but for negative jackasses who come on here incessantly everyday and post their "knowledge" and think they are better because they dont participate in this american drivel and dont give a sh*t about elvis the person, then they need to get a grip on life.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 am

poormadpeter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Guys, they're not going to kill off part of the business model that generates revenue and free global publicity.
They're going to screw the owners of the planes for a better (for EPE) deal and charge you more for the candles.

What, you can't even take your own candles?

Come on folks, it's been 37 years, time to finally let go. Stay at home and watch repeats of Storage Wars or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on TV, maybe see if you can spot one of your relatives.


Agreed. It's not like we're even talking about Martin Luther King here or Mother Theresa. We're talking about a singer.


Yes, a singer who's music helped break down barriers of race and sexual mores -- transforming an entire culture.

Jamie, your posts have been spot on. Thank you.


By accident, not through intention. Without Elvis, both would still have occurred, The idea of a candlelit vigil 37 years after the death of someone who was simply just an entertainer (by his own admission, nothing more than that) is, frankly, ridiculous. A great entertainer, yes. A musician who changed music, yes. But we don't have candlelit vigils for Miles Davis every year.


Excellently put PMP, that is because Miles Davis was, well Miles Davis and Elvis was well....Elvis. If you can't understand why there aren't thousands of people at vigils for Miles Davis but there are for Elvis, you simply have never understood the phenomenon that was Elvis. And for that I am really sorry.