Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:39 am

Stupid question here, but why would anyone need EPE approval for the vigil anyway? The house and garden is owned by Lisa,,,,not EPE. So wouldn't Lisa be the one to stop the vigil? It's on HER property.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am

The crowds have already started to thin a bit, but it won't be a few more years. I'd say 10 to 20 years, probably more.

(light sarcasm alert) So we'll be having a nice time embarrasing the rest of you for the next couple decades, at least. As MaryAnn said, there's a decent chance we'll be doing it for a very looooooong time. ;)

Intheghetto - I liked a lot of that, but did want to touch on one thing:

But it's true, in alot of cases there's more focus on the maudlin than the music and it's easy to understand why people look at you funny when you tell them that you're an Elvis fan and you've made repeated visits to Graceland.


Maybe it's the fact that I've also been a comic book geek my whole life, but that's going to happen any time you express more than a certain level of interest in something. As much as we've evolved from the Victorian era (and very likely before), that's one thing that's sadly stuck in basic human nature. I know people who've never been to Memphis who still get treated like that. At some point you state your case if you believe in it, and then it's the other person's problem. Kinda like when people enjoy the movie soundtracks (like me) here on the boards and any time they say it, they have to listen to a handful question that person's taste in music. That's when you say "Meh - I like what I like. Life's too short."

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten. There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


Im glad you mentioned that. I see stuff posted on facebook, like a picture of him in 1977 with comments like, he looked great even though he was sick. These are certainly not teenage hysteric fans. I never comment though, I dont get into facebook wars .

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:53 pm

MaryAnn wrote:The Vigil will go on as long as Elvis' music goes on. They're directly linked.


If its directly linked to the music, I wonder how many fans who particpate in this vigil every year know who Boots Randolph is or Hank Garland. Would like to know the percentage.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm

r&b wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:The Vigil will go on as long as Elvis' music goes on. They're directly linked.


If its directly linked to the music, I wonder how many fans who particpate in this vigil every year know who Boots Randolph is or Hank Garland. Would like to know the percentage.

That would be zero...

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:20 pm

intheghetto wrote:
I totally agree.

I participated in the candlelight vigil once. I'd never done it before and I was interested in seeing what the experience was like. I talked about this in another thread a few months ago and I'll basically repeat what I said. I think the gathering on EP Boulevard the night of the vigil is a pleasant, peaceful experience. People get creative and set up some nice shrines on the street, and as far as I can tell it's people just hanging out without any drunkenness, violence or carrying on of any kind. That in my opinion is a good thing. The vigil itself I have issues with. It's one thing to pay your respects, but as we got closer to the Meditation Garden the night we were there, it just seemed more like a funeral wake to me, that's the best way I can describe it. That to me is a little heavy handed. Is it really necessary to go through that? Elvis was important to people, as a fan I get that. But it's true, in alot of cases there's more focus on the maudlin than the music and it's easy to understand why people look at you funny when you tell them that you're an Elvis fan and you've made repeated visits to Graceland.

Should they get rid of it? At this point I don't think they can. But if they do, they're going to have to meet in the middle with the fans with some kind of event that's a compromise of sorts. I'm all in favor keeping the little festival going on EP Boulevard in the evening. But waiting on line in the middle of the night to walk past the graveā€¦not so much.


Even though you mention that you had no problem with the first stage of the vigil on EP Boulevard, it's interesting that the terminology you choose to use is religious: "shrine," "peaceful." Then there's the name of the "meditation garden" itself, the term "vigil" itself, and the religious associations of candles. People refer to their trip as a "pilgrimage." We are talking about the religion of Elvis here.

If people are intent on remembering Elvis each year with a trip to Memphis, I'd consider it much healthier to gather around a giant screen showing the 68 comeback or the 1956 TV appearances, having a good time and celebrating their hero, rather than mourning a man they didn't know 37 years after his death.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:21 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?

From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 pm

intheghetto wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?

From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


There's nothing wrong with studying the life, or lives of historical figures. There are tons of historians out there who could also be called 'obsessive'. It's not always a negative thing. The reason why 'obsessive' Elvis fans are looked at they way they are is because there's too much emphasis on the mourning aspect of it. That doesn't mean that every Elvis fan is like that, but as we well know, Elvis has been reinterpreted by popular culture to become a caricature that is not even close to reality. Think about how people exaggeratingly imitate the 'Thank you, thank you very much' phrase. Listen to some live Elvis recordings. Does he really say it like that? C'mon now. Average people know about Elvis but they've been taught to think about it a different way. Just like the idea that all hippies in the sixties walked around in tie-dye, headbands, smoked pot and said 'cool, man' every other phrase. When you think about the counter culture of the 60s is that really all it boils down to? If it does then your just paying attention to some simplified easily digestible, reimagined version that's easy to mock and make fun of because you don't like it or don't (want to) understand it.



I agree with everything you've just said there. My point is one mans meat is another mans gravy. We're all obsessed to one point or another & nobody has the right to say how someone should appreciate Elvis Presley. He appeals to many people in many different ways to both the rich, the poor, the educated & the notso

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 pm

GetLow wrote:Stupid question here, but why would anyone need EPE approval for the vigil anyway? The house and garden is owned by Lisa,,,,not EPE. So wouldn't Lisa be the one to stop the vigil? It's on HER property.


You know what people mean.

As I said on page 1 EPE and Lisa of course will keep it going a few more years until it's no longer profitable.

When it stops being profitable EPE and Lisa will be in agreement and the vigil will no longer be held on the property.

I think the entire Elvis week will be done away with when that happens.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 pm

elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?
From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


No-one anywhere on this thread has suggested excising Elvis from people's lives. What has been suggested (albeit implicitly) is that the obsessiveness of Elvis fans is indeed used to fill a gaping in hole the fan's life. In other words, Elvis fandom is a way of avoiding the fact that something is probably missing from their own existence. We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 pm

elvis56 wrote:'Obsessive' is an interesting word.


And t's a word that holds deep roots in the Elvis fandom. Unfortunately, there are many, many avenues for a fan to cross that line and become obsessive over Elvis Presley. What's made that so easy for that to happen has been the sheer volume of product and merchandise made available throughout the years (that is still coming). I think many of us here have been bitten by this bug at some point or another but what varies is just to what degree we let it consume us. In whatever way it does demonstrate itself, to the mass public, it's always in the most extreme way possible. Fans that have their homes covered in Elvis, they wear their hair like Elvis and have shrines in their homes...this is the typical Elvis fan (thank you, media!). If there's a news story about a fan who loves Jim Morrison and has his walls covered with his pictures---it comes off completely differently. It's just one fan's weird love for Jim Morrison. But the countless stories of Elvis fans and their bizarre ways have become the standard; the norm. People are talking about keeping Elvis' legacy alive and this and that...well other dead artists are still being talked about and celebrated without vigils or pilgrimages. Fans have kept Elvis' name alive, definitely. But in the worst possible way.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Justin wrote:
elvis56 wrote:'Obsessive' is an interesting word.


And t's a word that holds deep roots in the Elvis fandom. Unfortunately, there are many, many avenues for a fan to cross that line and become obsessive over Elvis Presley. What's made that so easy for that to happen has been the sheer volume of product and merchandise made available throughout the years (that is still coming). I think many of us here have been bitten by this bug at some point or another but what varies is just to what degree we let it consume us. In whatever way it does demonstrate itself, to the mass public, it's always in the most extreme way possible. Fans that have their homes covered in Elvis, they wear their hair like Elvis and have shrines in their homes...this is the typical Elvis fan (thank you, media!). If there's a news story about a fan who loves Jim Morrison and has his walls covered with his pictures---it comes off completely differently. It's just one fan's weird love for Jim Morrison. But the countless stories of Elvis fans and their bizarre ways have become the standard; the norm. People are talking about keeping Elvis' legacy alive and this and that...well other dead artists are still being talked about and celebrated without vigils or pilgrimages. Fans have kept Elvis' name alive, definitely. But in the worst possible way.


The only fans represented in the same way by the media are Trekkies and Star Wars fans etc.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.


Couple of points. Firstly, is the word 'already' a bit surplus to the above. And what does "already dead" mean anyway.


But, seriously, I would suggest there are relatively few real Elvis obsessives. Of the ones there are, saying of them "we should all make sure we LIVE our lives", is akin to telling a depressed person to 'pull themselves together'.


They are obsessed, that's the point.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?
From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


No-one anywhere on this thread has suggested excising Elvis from people's lives. What has been suggested (albeit implicitly) is that the obsessiveness of Elvis fans is indeed used to fill a gaping in hole the fan's life. In other words, Elvis fandom is a way of avoiding the fact that something is probably missing from their own existence. We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.


While making sure to LIVE our lives, it's also just as important to do something that makes you HAPPY.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Lover Doll wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?
From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


No-one anywhere on this thread has suggested excising Elvis from people's lives. What has been suggested (albeit implicitly) is that the obsessiveness of Elvis fans is indeed used to fill a gaping in hole the fan's life. In other words, Elvis fandom is a way of avoiding the fact that something is probably missing from their own existence. We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.


While making sure to LIVE our lives, it's also just as important to do something that makes you HAPPY.


And mourning someone year after year does that? Don't think so.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Lover Doll wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?
From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


No-one anywhere on this thread has suggested excising Elvis from people's lives. What has been suggested (albeit implicitly) is that the obsessiveness of Elvis fans is indeed used to fill a gaping in hole the fan's life. In other words, Elvis fandom is a way of avoiding the fact that something is probably missing from their own existence. We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.


While making sure to LIVE our lives, it's also just as important to do something that makes you HAPPY.


And mourning someone year after year does that? Don't think so.


Go once if you want to experience it (I did that even) but there are people that go every year. Mourning year after year for an entertainer, no matter who it is, is simply weird and just not normal if you ask me. Someone mentioned before about how many of these people actually visit their own family members graves. Very good talking point!

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote: But no matter what people say, Elvis still connects with people. And, generations later, some still connect with this. It's largely a natural thing.


Of course he connects with people. But all artists connect with their fans. No doubt fans of John Lennon or Michael Jackson all feel a connection too. One could argue that there is a more "special" connection for Elvis fans but that distinction alone is exactly the uneasy feeling people get regarding Elvis and his fans. Why are Elvis fans the only ones that feel this extra, beyond natural connection to their favorite singer? The fact that fans boast about this other-worldly connection only solidifies the idea that Elvis fans are apparently working on a "whole other level" from any other fan base. Many fans are proud of this connection. Sadly this pride is exactly what turns people off towards Elvis Presley and his group of fans. "They are part of some club that I don't understand." Obviously that isn't the intent but everyone must understand that this is the image being portrayed. This unflattering image has been around for decades.



It certainly does appear that, for decades, Elvis fans have been portrayed as a bunch of kooks and weirdos. We see this in the two concert documentaries from 1970 and 1972, and it may even have been around before then. The hysterical fans etc are portrayed as "normal Elvis fans" in those two films. Yes, hysterical fans are kicking around for other artists, and there's plenty of footage of them. We see them at footage of Beatles concerts and appearances, or even of Sinatra concerts in the 1940s. However, those were teenage fans caught up in the moment. That's not what we see with Elvis fans in those documentaries (or even in Elvis in Concert) - these are grown adults, often middle-aged, whose life seems to be totally devoted to their idol. Teenage hysteria is one thing, never growing out of it is another.

The problem is that, while the kooks and weirdos aren't in the majority, they are certainly a significant minority - and these boards (and in particular the Elvis facebook groups) attract their fair share of them. The minority is significant enough to have resulted in ALL fans being tarred with that same brush by the media. The candlelight vigil adds to that image of Elvis fans being obsessed, unhinged or both.

People here often wonder why Elvis isn't attracting new fans, and part of that is because many people don't want to go near his music because of the associations that are made with Elvis fandom. In other words, the actions of fans in wanting to keep Elvis's memory alive is partly responsible for slowly but surely killing that memory. Sure, the potato heads and the impersonators don't help matters, but neither do religious-type vigils more appropriate for a recently deceased pope.

The potato heads, the impersonators, the vigils, and the obsessive fans associated with all three (rightly or wrongly) means that the mention of Elvis's name in public conjures up images of everything...except his music. It's the one thing that has been largely forgotten.There has been more Elvis fans upset by the possibility of no more candle light vigils than by the fact that the 60th anniversary of 5th July 1954 was not marked by Elvis's record label! The Elvis world continues to have a cult-like, obsessive aura that no doubt drives people away from Elvis's legacy by the truckload. Albert Goldman's name is blamed here time and time again for ruining Elvis's image - but, in the end, the fans are far more responsible for that than Goldman.

(wow, that'll make me popular!)


You brought up good points and it's unfortunate the obsessive fans become more of a distraction and in many cases the focal point when trying to discuss Elvis's music, especially when trying to introduce Elvis's music to people. The media doesn't help out either. They'll focus on the fanatics while playing an Elvis song, usually Hound Dog or Teddy Bear.

Does this mean we stop the vigils because some take it to an extreme? If we do stop the vigils, what's next?


'Obsessive' is an interesting word.

Whatever route people take with their Elvis world is kinda not normal to 'normal' people. Is it normal to be obsessive over every inch of someone's life that like so many have said here, you've never met? He's not your family, you never knew him.
Do the people on here know as much about their own family? Do they know dates, times, what was worn, who they was with, what was said, about lets say a dozen events in their own parents lives. My guess is no, but we all have an obsession of wanting to know about this man Elvis that we've never met??? Isn't that in itself a weird obsession? Is that normal?
We never knew him, so (often quoted on this thread) why not let it go? Because, whether its knowledge, social gathering or playing music/watching films we was all touched by the voice/personality that was was Elvis Presley & everyone fills that hole in their life or need in different ways - take Elvis outta ya life & how much time would you get back in ya life? Obsessed?
From knowledge hungry all the way thru to just casual fans that listen to the songs not knowing Boot's sax exists - Elvis For Everyone so the album says & i guess Elvis approved of that title

'Obsession"! So what's normal eh ... ?


No-one anywhere on this thread has suggested excising Elvis from people's lives. What has been suggested (albeit implicitly) is that the obsessiveness of Elvis fans is indeed used to fill a gaping in hole the fan's life. In other words, Elvis fandom is a way of avoiding the fact that something is probably missing from their own existence. We're only here once, so we should all make sure we LIVE our lives rather than giving devotion to someone who is already dead and that we never knew.


thank you mr 8,600 plus posts..... lol arguing and typing on a daily basis with ur usual negative bs to strangers u dont even know, about a guy u dont give a sh*t about.. lol u look rediculous dude.. quit while ur only still way behind.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:00 am

Kylan wrote:
thank you mr 8,600 plus posts..... lol arguing and typing on a daily basis with ur usual negative bs to strangers u dont even know, about a guy u dont give a sh*t about.. lol u look rediculous dude.. quit while ur only still way behind.


Can't think how fans get a bad name. I really can't.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:02 am

dude u look rediculous coming on here lecturing to ppl about how something is missing in their lives when u come on here every day with ur negative prattle, never liking anything.. lol rattling on about a guy its obvious u care little for.. why ur on here has always puzzled me.. what do u expect dude? if u care to answer... id def listen.. and u can convince me otherwise.

see this is why i get pissed at myself for getting too involved with this stupid board.. because u dont win.. lol when someone gets toasted.. all they have to do is come back with a cute little dismissive comment and then disappear and it quietly goes away. lol oh well..

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 am

GetLow wrote:Stupid question here, but why would anyone need EPE approval for the vigil anyway? The house and garden is owned by Lisa,,,,not EPE. So wouldn't Lisa be the one to stop the vigil? It's on HER property.

True but National Entertainment Collectibles Association has the operating rights so Lisa may leave it to their business acumen as to what happens. But I agree with other posters, fans will still come!

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 am

Kylan wrote:dude u look rediculous coming on here lecturing to ppl about how something is missing in their lives when u come on here every day with ur negative prattle, never liking anything.. lol rattling on about a guy its obvious u care little for.. why ur on here has always puzzled me.. what do u expect dude? if u care to answer... id def listen.. and u can convince me otherwise.

see this is why i get pissed at myself for getting too involved with this stupid board.. because u dont win.. lol when someone gets toasted.. all they have to do is come back with a cute little dismissive comment and then disappear and it quietly goes away. lol oh well..


It's quite clear you have never read my posts.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:07 am

ive read enough.. sorry but i get tired of "holier then thou" crowd who are so superior to having to comprehend dealing with the white southern trash only interested in dolls and potato heads passing around candles..


gimme a break!

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 am

Kylan wrote:ive read enough.. sorry but i get tired of "holier then thou" crowd who are so superior to having to comprehend dealing with the white southern trash only interested in dolls and potato heads passing around candles.


Perhaps PoormadPeter shouldn't play psychiatrist but no one is saying those things about people.

That is your imagination and you are putting words in people's mouth.

I thought we were passed all this as I explained earlier.

Re: No more Candle light Vigils after this year?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
r&b wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:The Vigil will go on as long as Elvis' music goes on. They're directly linked.


If its directly linked to the music, I wonder how many fans who particpate in this vigil every year know who Boots Randolph is or Hank Garland. Would like to know the percentage.

That would be zero...
No, it wouldn't be "zero." It's a MUCH higher percentage than you would think. MANY of the attendees know the music very well and are passionate about it. What an experience for all of us fans to share our love and appreciation for the music on this special night!
brian wrote:


Kylan wrote:ive read enough.. sorry but i get tired of "holier then thou" crowd who are so superior to having to comprehend dealing with the white southern trash only interested in dolls and potato heads passing around candles.


Perhaps PoormadPeter shouldn't play psychiatrist but no one is saying those things about people.

That is your imagination and you are putting words in people's mouth.

I thought we were passed all this as I explained earlier.


No, I don't think we are past all this. A number of members seem to think the majority of those that attend the Vigil are ignorant about Elvis and his music. I don't think that's true. It's sad that some think they can sit in judgement -- something Elvis always warned against.

I'll be attending the Vigil. I'm sure (as with most people) there's something missing in my life, but being in Memphis and sharing that special night with my Elvis friends helps me keep all of that in perspective. And that's enough for me.

I'll be there again, as Jamie said, out of respect and gratitude to Elvis for the many ways his life has affected my life.