Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What would You Say to Elvis

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Imagine, you hast the opportunity to spend some time with Elvis alone. What would you say to him and at which point in his life?

Re: What would You Day to Elvis

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:51 pm

[.. I'd say lose the SANTA BELTS !!! :smt005
Last edited by promiseland on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:56 pm

If I could talk to Elvis?… I would choose sometime in 1970 and tell him the dangers of where he was heading. But I must say I don't think it would do any good know one and nothing could prevent what happened to Elvis except Elvis himself.

Let us stretch the idea a little, if he was here with me in his 1970 self I would show him the photos and videos of himself in 1977. Perhaps a quick look at "Elvis In Concert" would scare him enough to kick him out of his problems and get himself fixed.

Can you imagine how Elvis would react to HD TV, iTunes, iPods, digital music downloads, the internet, it would freak him out. I'm am sure he would be amazed and even a little dismayed at what has been released by bootleggers and FTD (especially the dear Georgia material), I think he would not like that one little bit...

Re: What would You Say to Elvis

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Stop taking those pill packets. You're slowly killing yourself. Of course, he wouldn't listen. So, he'd come to the same end.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:59 pm

You surely can't be serious about doing this?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 pm

You are living in a real dream world if you think you would have confronted him on his substance issues. Not only would it be extremely rude and disrespectful for a complete stranger to say that to him, he would immediately be insulted and not talk to you. Although we like to think it is, it is none of our business how he lived in his private life. I probably drink more than I should, in fact I know I do. Elvis knew he took drugs when he shouldn't. He didn't need some stranger to tell him that. The only people that could have helped were his family, his entourage and probably most importantly in his unique case his manager.

In this alternate dream world anyway of getting a moment with the King, I would have loved to have met him just after his comeback, circa 1970. I would have loved to have discussed his early days, Sun records, the 50s, the early 60s etc. and just spoken exclusively about the music and the particular favourite tracks of mine, the deep cuts that he probably never spoke to people about. It would have been awesome to share my thoughts on tracks like "One Sided Love Affair", "Milky White Way" or "Doin' the Best I Can". Just talk about the real great music he made that I continue to get immense enjoyment out of after the 500th listening. Elvis it seems never quite realised how valued his early work was. Mainly due to the sneering attitudes of the time and the absence of a Rock press until after his prime. And mostly I would have just said thank you.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 pm

F### Me, I thought you were dead! ;-)

Seriously, I'd ask him to come for a beer and try to strike up a friendship. Then I'd work on prising him out of the Parker shackles in the hope a younger contemporary manager could be found who might revitalize Elvis and help drag him out of depression.

Cheers Jamie

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for all the great music.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Just one question while being alone with him? Very easy. Of course I would have asked him to sing a song for me - a song he found most suitable. And I'm very sure I would have loved every second of it... and maybe he as well.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 am

Scoobie wrote:if he was here with me in his 1970 self I would show him the photos and videos of himself in 1977. Perhaps a quick look at "Elvis In Concert"

If that didn't put the fear of God in him, nothing would.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:51 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Scoobie wrote:if he was here with me in his 1970 self I would show him the photos and videos of himself in 1977. Perhaps a quick look at "Elvis In Concert"

If that didn't put the fear of God in him, nothing would.

Yes, what they call "shock therapy"....

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:46 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:You are living in a real dream world if you think you would have confronted him on his substance issues. Not only would it be extremely rude and disrespectful for a complete stranger to say that to him, he would immediately be insulted and not talk to you. Although we like to think it is, it is none of our business how he lived in his private life. I probably drink more than I should, in fact I know I do. Elvis knew he took drugs when he shouldn't. He didn't need some stranger to tell him that. The only people that could have helped were his family, his entourage and probably most importantly in his unique case his manager.

In this alternate dream world anyway of getting a moment with the King, I would have loved to have met him just after his comeback, circa 1970. I would have loved to have discussed his early days, Sun records, the 50s, the early 60s etc. and just spoken exclusively about the music and the particular favourite tracks of mine, the deep cuts that he probably never spoke to people about. It would have been awesome to share my thoughts on tracks like "One Sided Love Affair", "Milky White Way" or "Doin' the Best I Can". Just talk about the real great music he made that I continue to get immense enjoyment out of after the 500th listening. Elvis it seems never quite realised how valued his early work was. Mainly due to the sneering attitudes of the time and the absence of a Rock press until after his prime. And mostly I would have just said thank you.

Riiiiight. And you by withholding the truth,because of socalled civility, would only say only positive things. No wonder you are a limey.
Everything to save face and keep up the stiff upper lip.

Like with other 'junks' the blunt truth comming from his fans is the only medicine for a star to see the truth cause they are everyhing to him.
All the people surrounding a star will never tell him the truth cause they depend on him (paycheck) and don't wanna be excluded from his surroundings
or inner circle.

So it is with Elvis.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 am

You guys are thinking too small.

You want to fix the whole thing? Easy - meet him in 1954 and tell him "Son, you have a million dollars worth of talent - I'm going to make you a million dollars!"

Done and done - you now have full control to make sure none of the bad things happen.

But then the question is.... what won't you see coming when the future's changed?

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Or another idea... bring my laptop and mutitrack protools recorder to 1952 and tell Sam Phillips I want to be his recording guy. 8)

2tb worth of multitrack Sun outtakes? Yes, please. :mrgreen:

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:12 am

JamieAKelley wrote:You guys are thinking too small.

You want to fix the whole thing? Easy - meet him in 1954 and tell him "Son, you have a million dollars worth of talent - I'm going to make you a million dollars!"

Done and done - you now have full control to make sure none of the bad things happen.

But then the question is.... what won't you see coming when the future's changed?

Or another idea... bring my laptop and mutitrack protools recorder to 1952 and tell Sam Phillips I want to be his recording guy. 8)

At 1.5 tb... Elvis: "Mr. Kelley, I can't take anymore (heavy deep breaths)" Mr. Kelley: "You will work and you will record until you hit 2 tb. Or no deal. Now, let's do Tiger Man with a second alternate chorus..."

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am

BrianTCB wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:You guys are thinking too small.

At 1.5 tb... Elvis: "Mr. Kelley, I can't take anymore (heavy deep breaths)" Mr. Kelley: "You will work and you will record until you hit 2 tb. Or no deal. Now, let's do Tiger Man with a second alternate chorus..."

ROTFLMAO

No, it's more like:

Me: Elvis, here's a portable ipod recorder to record your day's thoughts into.

Elvis: What's an ipod?

Me: It's a portable hard drive. And don't lose it, I'll need it back for an hour each month.

Elvis: What's a hard drive?

Me: Um...Would it help if I'd said "magic recording box"?

Elvis: Not really, no.

Me: Just talk into the damn box.

Elvis (to himself): Why did I sign that contract....

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:You are living in a real dream world if you think you would have confronted him on his substance issues. Not only would it be extremely rude and disrespectful for a complete stranger to say that to him, he would immediately be insulted and not talk to you. Although we like to think it is, it is none of our business how he lived in his private life. I probably drink more than I should, in fact I know I do. Elvis knew he took drugs when he shouldn't. He didn't need some stranger to tell him that. The only people that could have helped were his family, his entourage and probably most importantly in his unique case his manager.

Good post. In the UK there was a rock press in 1956, New Musical Express, Disc and Record Mirror, the problem was even they were against him in the very beginning - he was just too revolutionary!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 pm

moffringa wrote:

Riiiiight. And you by withholding the truth,because of socalled civility, would only say only positive things. No wonder you are a limey.
Everything to save face and keep up the stiff upper lip.

Like with other 'junks' the blunt truth comming from his fans is the only medicine for a star to see the truth cause they are everyhing to him.
All the people surrounding a star will never tell him the truth cause they depend on him (paycheck) and don't wanna be excluded from his surroundings
or inner circle.

So it is with Elvis.

What a terribly rude and ironic post that was.

"socalled civility" [sic]....maybe you should try it sometime.

Chris Roberts wrote:Good post. In the UK there was a rock press in 1956, New Musical Express, Disc and Record Mirror, the problem was even they were against him in the very beginning - he was just too revolutionary!

Thanks, I am glad somebody has a brain here!

Yes. Elvis was a complex character who basically needed some guidance and constructive praise and criticism from people around him because he didn't listen to a wordthe press ever said. Sam Phillips, Leiber & Stoller, Steve Binder, Chips Moman...it is no surprise most of Elvis' greatest career moments can when he worked with strong producers who had a clear artistic vision for him and recognised what was best for him and what wasn't.

I recall that Sam Phillips spoke to Elvis after his opening night show in 1969 and told him to drop "Memories" from his set as he felt it killed the pace of the show. That is exactly the kind of rational artistic guidance Elvis needed in his career. Whether or not you actually agree with Sam's opinion on that particular point is irrelevant, what is important is that Sam was one of the few people who wasn't afraid to speak his mind to Elvis and whom Elvis would actually listen to. Who else in 1969 after a show like that would have given Elvis some critical commentary on how to improve it?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm surprised no one has said that they wouldn't talk to Elvis if given the opportunity.

They would instead travel back in time to 1960 to assassinate Colonel Tom Parker.

I know some fans on this board that would go all Terminator on his ass.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 am

Our meeting could be envisioned alot like "It's A Wonderful Life"movie. After that, I'd express my own appreciation for the memories.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:34 am

brian wrote:They would instead travel back in time to 1960 to assassinate Colonel Tom Parker.

He'd have been ready for you. He was one smart cookie.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I would probably ask him to sing a song and accompany himself on the guitar... e.g. My happiness in 69.
Because it has been repeatedly said that his voice was even better in person. Anybody confirm this on the board?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Last year I took my 12 year old daughter to a book signing by a famous British TV female comedienne (Miranda Hart) as she is a big fan.

While we queued for 2 and half hours my daughter rehearsed religiously what she was going to say when she met her idol - "Hi, how are you. Love your show and I think you are very funny. Thank you for signing my book". Over and over again we went through the lines. The time came, she stepped up, handed over her book, opened her mouth and that was it. She was so star struck not a word came out of her mouth. She took the book back with a thank you from the star and a nod from my daughter.

Completely star struck.

I am in no doubt if I had been lucky enough to have met Elvis I would have been exactly the same.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm

pacer wrote:Last year I took my 12 year old daughter to a book signing by a famous British TV female comedienne (Miranda Hart) as she is a big fan.

While we queued for 2 and half hours my daughter rehearsed religiously what she was going to say when she met her idol - "Hi, how are you. Love your show and I think you are very funny. Thank you for signing my book". Over and over again we went through the lines. The time came, she stepped up, handed over her book, opened her mouth and that was it. She was so star struck not a word came out of her mouth. She took the book back with a thank you from the star and a nod from my daughter.

Completely star struck.

I am in no doubt if I had been lucky enough to have met Elvis I would have been exactly the same.

Ha ha I know how she felt. A quick story (sorry to stray away from Elvis). In 1960 my sister saw Gene Vincent in Brighton England, she had her picture taken with him near the stage door. A year later we both saw him in Tunbridge Wells, after which many were trying to get to meet him backstage. My sister showed the photo saying that we were personal friends, the doorman disappeared with the picture and when he returned said that Gene would see just us two. I was 15/16 and felt proud as I walked through the crowd.

In his dressing room the four of us (Gene, Sister, myself and a lady) just stood there, after a while the lady said "will someone please say something" I managed to say "Can I please have your autograph?, and that was it - what a wasted opportunity!

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Furball Fun :wink:

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:48 am

I would say you have got to invest in documenting all your performances in video and audio..leave a great legacy of your work instead of a few TV specials and 33 films