Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: EPE removing plane exhibits from Graceland

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
promiseland wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
promiseland wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:Why is EPE removing the plane exhibits from Graceland?? :?

Elvisly,

Linda

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertainmen ... -airplanes

They are removing the plane for one simple reason -"Greed". The planes are privately owned and EPE has to give the owners of the planes a percentage of ticket sales. I would forewarn anyone who hasn't been to see these planes yet - go see them because they will be gone by next year!

People aren't lined up filling shuttle buses to tour the mansion as in the past, EPE will make up the difference one way or the other, even if it's removing the planes from the profits.
Trying to follow this? They have to give some profit to owners of planes, but they still receive profit to keep from them. How is getting rid of this profit making up for peeps not lining up for the mansion?

You lose a percentage of ticket sales, now you save money by not SPLITTING profits to make up for the lower ticket sales. You predict people will still buy tickets to see the mansion rather the planes are there are not.
It's not rocket science..
Ok, but stay with me now. By moving the planes, you have no profits to split.

Right, But the price of the Tickets (tour) remains the same , hence, EPE gets it all now.- no split.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 pm

intheghetto wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Whose came up with this bright idea? The planes are not only a major part of the Graceland tour, there a huge part of the Elvis story. People wnat to see them! Ticket sales are low now? Removing the planes is not going to help that situation.

All of this just sounds like some weird strategy that's being cooked up. Removing the planes and then doing something like re-naming the Elvis Insiders the Graceland Insiders. It's like they're trying to distance themselves from the person and make it more about the place.

Bingo........ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Problem is the person they're trying to distance themselves from is interred in the backyard. With regard to that there's only so much smoke and mirrors they can put up. It's Elvis' house...get over it, rebranding (they love that word 'rebrand' too, don't they) is not going to help.

If this ABG company is 'upmarket' as it was said months ago, it seems they are trying to make the area less about the 'crazy Elvis fans' and more about the long term...... as the first generation of fans die off,and then eventually the second generation.....and Elvis becomes less relevant as the years go by.......they need a 'focus' to replace him.....

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:32 pm

debtd1 wrote:
intheghetto wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Whose came up with this bright idea? The planes are not only a major part of the Graceland tour, there a huge part of the Elvis story. People wnat to see them! Ticket sales are low now? Removing the planes is not going to help that situation.

All of this just sounds like some weird strategy that's being cooked up. Removing the planes and then doing something like re-naming the Elvis Insiders the Graceland Insiders. It's like they're trying to distance themselves from the person and make it more about the place.

Bingo........ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Problem is the person they're trying to distance themselves from is interred in the backyard. With regard to that there's only so much smoke and mirrors they can put up. It's Elvis' house...get over it, rebranding (they love that word 'rebrand' too, don't they) is not going to help.

If this ABG company is 'upmarket' as it was said months ago, it seems they are trying to make the area less about the 'crazy Elvis fans' and more about the long term...... as the first generation of fans die off,and then eventually the second generation.....and Elvis becomes less relevant as the years go by.......they need a 'focus' to replace him.....

But without Elvis, why would anyone go there? Are people just going to tour some random house of a singer they don't know?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:25 pm

The Lisa Marie should stay.
When I first entered EP blvd I spotted the plane immediately and I never forget how I felt.
It's like stepping into Elvis life and it's a historic artifact if you ask me.

EPE should sort this out.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 pm

It's the first time the Graceland experience gets downgraded, not good.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 am

Tim C wrote:It seems to me that it weakens the plane owners position to make any money...not to mention the cost of moving the planes. It may be cost prohibitive not only to move the planes, but to then find a place to show them and make them profitable again. A win-win for Graceland Enterprises if I ever seen one. I think the owners will more than likely fold, or balk at the expense of moving them and see what Graceland Inc will purchase them for. A shrewd business move, but I suspect they have wanted to get complete control of the planes for years now, just like everything else in that area.

This is extremely likely. My first thought, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up buying the planes.

That said: if I owned the planes, my first call would be to the Memphis airport, to work out a deal with them for tourism.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 am

Business at Graceland is not going down. The last time i was there the lineups were longer than i have ever seen. Someone on facebook says that business will go down if the Planes are gone. That's BS. People don't go for the planes. They go from the mansion. if the planes were in such great demand they would give them a separate price. Everything revolves around the mansion.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 am

And Priscilla has just announced that negotiations are ongoing and for the fans to relax.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:06 am

DEH wrote:Business at Graceland is not going down. The last time i was there the lineups were longer than i have ever seen. Someone on facebook says that business will go down if the Planes are gone. That's BS. People don't go for the planes. They go from the mansion. if the planes were in such great demand they would give them a separate price. Everything revolves around the mansion.

Just FYI, according to the ticket pricing on Graceland.com, after Aug. 9, you will have to buy a Platinum + Airplanes Tour (at $5 more than the regular Platinum Tour) if you want to see the airplanes.

http://www.graceland.com/visit/buytickets.aspx

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:14 am

I'm going for the first time in Jan 2016, i'll be gutted if the planes aren't there. the Lisa Marie in particular.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:15 am

MaryAnn wrote:
DEH wrote:Business at Graceland is not going down. The last time i was there the lineups were longer than i have ever seen. Someone on facebook says that business will go down if the Planes are gone. That's BS. People don't go for the planes. They go from the mansion. if the planes were in such great demand they would give them a separate price. Everything revolves around the mansion.

Just FYI, according to the ticket pricing on Graceland.com, after Aug. 9, you will have to buy a Platinum + Airplanes Tour (at $5 more than the regular Platinum Tour) if you want to see the airplanes.

if they are doing that its because the planes might be leaving. Its never been that way before.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:30 am

DEH wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

if they are doing that its because the planes might be leaving. Its never been that way before.

Perhaps it's also an effort to track the number of visitors who feel strongly enough about seeing the planes that they are willing to pay more for the experience.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 am

Just was checking my email and the planes were the lead story on my Yahoo home page with lots of pictures. Spokesman for OKC which owns the planes said they want to keep the planes there. Also the story said the 450 room hotel/theatre/restaurant was approved by Memphis City Council Tuesday. Planned opening is August 2015 which seems very optimistic to me.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 am

Elvis Presley Enterprises announced plans to build a 450-room hotel, theater and restaurant, with a projected opening date of August 2015. Their plan was approved Tuesday by the Memphis City Council. <---Where the planes are now.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am

Being a (private)pilot myself this is where my two passions meet. I will be very sad if they remove them. I hope they are willing to make the investment and find a different place to park them close to Graceland.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:40 am

Graceland will shoot itself in the foot bigtime if they have the planes removed.
There's already more than 650 comments on Yahoo news where I first read this upsetting news this morning. . All comments are of more or less upset people and fans who hate to see the planes go.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Let's hope this is just a negotiation tactic..

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 pm

if this is the case it would be the worst ever move in graceland history very upset about this

crazy :twisted:

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

As others have mentioned I think this is just a negotiating tool for EPE to actually purchase the planes.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

promiseland wrote:Elvis Presley Enterprises announced plans to build a 450-room hotel, theater and restaurant, with a projected opening date of August 2015. Their plan was approved Tuesday by the Memphis City Council. <---Where the planes are now.

I thought that hotel was going to be build on the same side of Graceland. So not oopposite of the road or am I wrong here?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:32 pm

luke1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:Elvis Presley Enterprises announced plans to build a 450-room hotel, theater and restaurant, with a projected opening date of August 2015. Their plan was approved Tuesday by the Memphis City Council. <---Where the planes are now.

I thought that hotel was going to be build on the same side of Graceland. So not oopposite of the road or am I wrong here?

You are correct. The site of the new hotel complex in on the same side of EP Blvd. as Graceland. The site is directly across the street from the present Graceland Crossing strip mall. (You can check out the site using satellite imagery.)

Robert wrote:Let's hope this is just a negotiation tactic..

whatsupdoc wrote:Graceland will shoot itself in the foot bigtime if they have the planes removed.
There's already more than 650 comments on Yahoo news where I first read this upsetting news this morning. . All comments are of more or less upset people and fans who hate to see the planes go.

Hopefully, this IS just a negotiation tactic. Let's also hope that this tactic pays off and was worth pi$$ing off a large segment of the fan base. :roll:

Considering some of the decisions they've made lately, I think it's quite possible that they actually DO want to get rid of the planes. They're going to need some expensive preservation work if they're going to look nice sitting across the street from that swanky new hotel -- not to mention they're taking up a significant amount of increasingly valuable real estate.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:55 pm

The planes are an essential part of the Graceland experience. I'm very grateful that I toured them as many times as I have in the past, would really be sad to see them leave. Strongly agree that they need some TLC.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm

They also need to be protected from the elements. Can you imagine what the cars would look like if they were still parked outside?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 pm

elvisjock wrote:They also need to be protected from the elements. Can you imagine what the cars would look like if they were still parked outside?

The LM pretty much already suffered when I saw the plane for the last time, in 2002.
Although the plane looked very outdated, even for 1975, it was one of my tour highlights as the plane meant so much to Elvis and spent a lot of time in his flying Graceland.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:58 pm

I've toured the plane many times, and respect it for the symbol it's become to fans and tourists. You know you've found Graceland when you see the Lisa Marie.

The plane makes me sad, too, because it is also a symbol of Elvis' final decline. He placed himself in serious financial jeopardy in order to purchase and customize the jet. It conveyed him to the Saginaws and Pine Bluffs of America, where, in a diminished physical and mental state, he worked to pay for his lifestyle (which included that very plane). The Lisa Marie is King Elvis' traveling palace, from late 1975 until the end.
Last edited by elvisjock on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.