Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

EPE removing plane exhibits from Graceland

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Why is EPE removing the plane exhibits from Graceland?? :?

Elvisly,

Linda

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertainmen ... -airplanes

Re: EPE removing plane exhibits from Graceland

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm

I guess the current owner of EPE doesn't want to split the earnings anymore and figures that no tourist will avoid to visit GRACELAND just because the planes are not there.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:15 pm

lovin' EP wrote:Why is EPE removing the plane exhibits from Graceland?? :?

Elvisly,

Linda

They are removing the plane for one simple reason -"Greed". The planes are privately owned and EPE has to give the owners of the planes a percentage of ticket sales. I would forewarn anyone who hasn't been to see these planes yet - go see them because they will be gone by next year!

People aren't lined up filling shuttle buses to tour the mansion as in the past, EPE will make up the difference one way or the other, even if it's removing the planes from the profits.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm

So they take away both planes? Where do they go then?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 pm

promiseland wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda

They are removing the plane for one simple reason -"Greed". The planes are privately owned and EPE has to give the owners of the planes a percentage of ticket sales. I would forewarn anyone who hasn't been to see these planes yet - go see them because they will be gone by next year!

People aren't lined up filling shuttle buses to tour the mansion as in the past, EPE will make up the difference one way or the other, even if it's removing the planes from the profits.
Trying to follow this? They have to give some profit to owners of planes, but they still receive profit to keep from them. How is getting rid of this profit making up for peeps not lining up for the mansion?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:47 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda

Trying to follow this? They have to give some profit to owners of planes, but they still receive profit to keep from them. How is getting rid of this profit making up for peeps not lining up for the mansion?

You lose a percentage of ticket sales, now you save money by not SPLITTING profits to make up for the lower ticket sales. You predict people will still buy tickets to see the mansion rather the planes are there are not.
It's not rocket science..

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Been to Graceland numerous times and those planes have always been part of the experience. Aside from the financials it feels like they are going to amputate a leg. :(

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:20 pm

I enjoy seeing the PlANES WHEN AT GRACELAND BUT IF THEY ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE IT WONT STOP ME ,BUT ITS A SHAME FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN THEM,BUT IM SURE THEY WILL JUST RELOCATE THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE IN MEMPHIS
APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Ken, I'm not sure they will keep them in Memphis The current owners, unfortunately, may not see the need to do that. Guess it depends on money to relocate them.

Anyone got the video of the Lisa Marie being towed down EP Boulevard? These pics are still shots from the video.

Elvisly,

Linda

https://www.facebook.com/295766237021/p ... =1&theater

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

intheghetto wrote:Whose came up with this bright idea? The planes are not only a major part of the Graceland tour, there a huge part of the Elvis story. People wnat to see them! Ticket sales are low now? Removing the planes is not going to help that situation.

All of this just sounds like some weird strategy that's being cooked up. Removing the planes and then doing something like re-naming the Elvis Insiders the Graceland Insiders. It's like they're trying to distance themselves from the person and make it more about the place.

Bingo........ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:50 pm

promiseland wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda

hmmm you must be privy to their financial records. or are you there everyday taking a head count? just curious!

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Hey, we're talking about a business that has a FAKE set of five SUN singles hanging in the mans property. :facep:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66886

(I've seen them, and they are 100% reproductions from the missing pushmarks, to the later '72 loose groove stamp.)

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:00 pm

i guess that would mean the answer is no to both questions.. as i surmised.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:40 pm

promiseland wrote:Hey, we're talking about a business that has a FAKE set of five SUN singles hanging in the mans property. :facep:

(I've seen them, and they are 100% reproductions from the missing pushmarks, to the later '72 loose groove stamp.)

That was the first thing I noticed during my visit. Kind of took away the historic meaning of the whole experience.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 pm

There's a possibility that EPE is just using this as negotiation tactic. I would imagine that the owners of the planes would have hard time to find a suitable place for the planes outside Graceland.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I hope they are trying to obtain them for a good price, because removing them will be expensive. If neither party will give in I guess they will be scrapped at their current location.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:01 pm

promiseland wrote:Hey, we're talking about a business that has a FAKE set of five SUN singles hanging in the mans property. :facep:

Agreed! I saw them too!! LOL....I guess there's a new circus in town. My most solemn visits were in 1978 & 1982, it's never been the same feeling since.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:14 pm

The exterior of the planes look more and more shabby as the years pass. The Lisa Marie, in particular, is badly in need of some of the same preservation TLC recently bestowed upon the '73 Stutz. Perhaps the owner and/or EPE is balking at the potential cost.

Only EPE, and it's accountants, know how many of its guests tour the airplanes. The mansion is the focal point. Everything across the street can be considered "extra," to the casual tourist, who accounts for the vast majority of the clientele.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I guess they would set Graceland on fire if it would be more profitable

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Could this be due to the new owners / management ? I see a lot of decisions lately (some better, some for the worse ...).

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm

promiseland wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda

You lose a percentage of ticket sales, now you save money by not SPLITTING profits to make up for the lower ticket sales. You predict people will still buy tickets to see the mansion rather the planes are there are not.
It's not rocket science..
Ok, but stay with me now. By moving the planes, you have no profits to split.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm

The Graceland will go on without the planes if it comes to that. The house is the main attraction. Sad to see the planes to go though. Specially Lisa Marie which is really part of Elvis's history. Wonder did EPE ever though about buying Elvis's last plane (the '62 JetStar) which was auctioned a few years back after being stored in New Mexico for decades.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 pm

It seems to me that it weakens the plane owners position to make any money...not to mention the cost of moving the planes. It may be cost prohibitive not only to move the planes, but to then find a place to show them and make them profitable again. A win-win for Graceland Enterprises if I ever seen one. I think the owners will more than likely fold, or balk at the expense of moving them and see what Graceland Inc will purchase them for. A shrewd business move, but I suspect they have wanted to get complete control of the planes for years now, just like everything else in that area.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:50 pm

I´m shocked!

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 pm

elvisjock wrote:The exterior of the planes look more and more shabby as the years pass. The Lisa Marie, in particular, is badly in need of some of the same preservation TLC recently bestowed upon the '73 Stutz. Perhaps the owner and/or EPE is balking at the potential cost.

Only EPE, and it's accountants, know how many of its guests tour the airplanes. The mansion is the focal point. Everything across the street can be considered "extra," to the casual tourist, who accounts for the vast majority of the clientele.

I agree.