Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

David Bowie --> the greatest ETA of all!

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 am

In case you missed it, as I did, here's a neat little piece on a rather famous Elvis fan.

Listen to David Bowie impersonating Elvis Presley and wishing all the jolly British folk a merry little Christmas
The rock legend delivered a Christmas message on BBC 6 Music programme This is Radio Clash in the style of the rock and roll legend
Mark Jefferies, Daily Mirror
Friday, December 27, 2013

David-Bowie.jpg
Impressionist: There is no end to David Bowie's talents

Rock legend David Bowie did an Elvis Presley impression as he delivered a Christmas message in a two-hour show on BBC Radio 6.

The star, who shares a January birthday with the King, imitated his southern drawl on the This Is Radio Clash programme - a two hour long show from the surviving members of The Clash, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon.

phpBB [video]

Bowie, 66, adopted Presley’s signature Southern drawl and said: “Hello everybody, this is David Bowie making a telephone call from the US of A.

"At this time of the year I can’t help but remember my British-ness and all the jolly British folk, so here’s to you, and have yourselves a merry little Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you very much.”

Bowie’s UK spokesman retweeted a link to the audio on the BBC website confirming it was genuine.

Elvis and Bowie were both born on January 8 birthday and Bowie has stated that he offered his 1975 song ‘Golden Years’ to Presley, but that he declined it.

Story of Pop Part 1.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/audio-david-bowie-impersonates-elvis-2962770

David Bowie was indeed born on January 8, 1947. Are there any other connections?

Bowie, flying over from the U.K. for meetings at RCA New York after a show in Leicester on June 10, is known to have attended the Sunday, June 11, 1972 gig at Madison Square Garden, courtesy of the RCA executives. Our own FECC member Greybeard was at this show as well.

"Golden Years," one of my very favorite Bowie recordings, although often referenced as "written for" Presley, more likely was simply inspired by the singer. There is no evidence Elvis "declined" to record it. But, then ... who knows? ;-)

Golden years, gold ... whop, whop, whop!

Ziggy Presley.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: David Bowie --> the greatest ETA of all!

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 pm

I've always thought that whatever the truth about Golden Years, it's a great song and kind of moving when listened to with Elvis in mind. Imagining a somehow healthy and seasoned EP singing the song as he entered a calmer but still rewarding middle-age, instead of what actually happened.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:14 pm

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80785

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
David Bowie was indeed born on January 8, 1947. Are there any other connections?

Bowie, flying over from the U.K. for meetings at RCA New York after a show in Leicester on June 10, is known to have attended the Sunday, June 11, 1972 gig at Madison Square Garden, courtesy of the RCA executives. Our own FECC member Greybeard was at this show as well.

There was a thread recently(ish) that quoted Bowies comments regarding the MSG show he attended. It showed Bowies great sense of humour and obvious admiration for Elvis. He commented that Elvis looked impossibly fit.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:53 pm

King Volcano wrote:I've always thought that whatever the truth about Golden Years, it's a great song and kind of moving when listened to with Elvis in mind. Imagining a somehow healthy and seasoned EP singing the song as he entered a calmer but still rewarding middle-age, instead of what actually happened.

"Golden Years" is one of my very favorite David Bowie RCA recordings. It would have been kind of amazing had it really gotten to Elvis first, almost certainly a #1 hit. And he would have loved the simplicity of the verses and chorus.

But ... would Presley have done that falsetto bit?

751115_RCA PB-10441.JPG

phpBB [video]

David Bowie "Golden Years" (RCA PB-10441, November 17, 1975)
Billboard "Hot 100" #10 April 3, 1976, Cash Box "Top 100" #12 March 27, 1976

http://www.billboard.com/charts/1976-04-03/hot-100
http://50.6.195.142/archives/70s_files/19760327.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:13 am

JimmyCool wrote:http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80785

This topic shows just a smidge more effort, not to mention a YouTube video of the greeting, yeah? :smt023

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:28 am

Excellent post John,thank you !

mobile reply

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 pm

LesterB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

There was a thread recently(ish) that quoted Bowies comments regarding the MSG show he attended. It showed Bowies great sense of humour and obvious admiration for Elvis. He commented that Elvis looked impossibly fit.

That is a great line. Clearly, David was smitten by Elvis at the age of 9, and has never looked back.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
King Volcano wrote:I've always thought that whatever the truth about Golden Years, it's a great song and kind of moving when listened to with Elvis in mind. Imagining a somehow healthy and seasoned EP singing the song as he entered a calmer but still rewarding middle-age, instead of what actually happened.

"Golden Years" is one of my very favorite David Bowie RCA recordings. It would have been kind of amazing had it really gotten to Elvis first, almost certainly a #1 hit. And he would have loved the simplicity of the verses and chorus.

751115_RCA PB-10441.JPG

phpBB [video]

He probably would have had the Sweets do the falsetto parts.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:"Golden Years" is one of my very favorite David Bowie RCA recordings. It would have been kind of amazing had it really gotten to Elvis first, almost certainly a #1 hit. And he would have loved the simplicity of the verses and chorus.

phpBB [video]

He probably would have had the Sweets do the falsetto parts.

Or ... Sherrill Nielsen?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm

keninlincs wrote:Excellent post John,thank you !

mobile reply

Thanks muchly!

The Elvis-as-Ziggy image is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is indeed cool but is it not Aladdin Sane rather than Ziggy Stardust?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:14 pm

bray1977 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is indeed cool but is it not Aladdin Sane rather than Ziggy Stardust?

Maybe, maybe not!

The name of the album is a pun on "A Lad Insane". An early variation was "Love Aladdin Vein", which David Bowie dropped partly because of its drug connotations. Although technically a new Bowie 'character', Aladdin Sane was essentially a development of Ziggy Stardust in his appearance and persona, as evidenced on the cover by Brian Duffy and in Bowie's live performances throughout 1973 that culminated in Ziggy's 'retirement' at the Hammersmith Odeon in July of that year. Lacking was the thematic flow found on its predecessor. Bowie himself described Aladdin Sane as simply "Ziggy goes to America", most of the tracks being observations he composed on the road during his 1972 US tour—the reason for the place names following each song title on the original record sleeve. Biographer Christopher Sandford believed the album showed that Bowie "was simultaneously appalled and fixated by America".

Aladdin Sane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_Sane#.22Ziggy_goes_to_America.22

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Very interesting, thanks. I had not known that.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am

bray1977 wrote:Very interesting, thanks. I had not known that.

Me neither.

Looking back, it's a legitimate questions as to whether Presley knew any of Bowie's work in the 1970s.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bray1977 wrote:Very interesting, thanks. I had not known that.

Me neither.

Looking back, it's a legitimate questions as to whether Presley knew any of Bowie's work in the 1970s.

I would guess (100% guess, that is!), he never heard a Bowie album, but heard some singles on the radio from '72 onwards, maybe saw him on TV a few times? Like promoting Young Americans on Dick Cavett in '75, miming Golden Years on Soul Train a bit later, Bowie did the Dinah Shore show too in '76, probably several other US chat/sing shows?

EP probably had Bowie filed in far away in the back of his head somewhere as an interesting, talented artist he'd heard of, like say, Elton John, but I can't imagine he gave a a sh*t about getting his records.