Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Elvis Aron Presley" - 1980 review

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Was about to buy a used copy of the set in the mid-90's but somehow never achieved to do so. It was just too expensive.
Was glad to get the CD version in 1998 though.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Mike C wrote:The rare one to find is the 8-track version of the set.

Thanks for this information. I didn't know this set was also available as 8-track. I have googled it, and it can be located in places such as eBay or Amazon.

Here's another Deary-related clipping, this one from 1981. Another thing I didn't know is the recording of the May 1956 Vegas concert was purchased from a fan.

Also, don't miss the "Presley song that may never be released" :wink: :

810814.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for this information. I didn't know this set was also available as 8-track. I have googled it, and it can be located in places such as eBay or Amazon.

Here's another Deary-related clipping, this one from 1981. Another thing I didn't know is the recording of the May 1956 Vegas concert was purchased from a fan.

810814.JPG

Interesting article... I wonder if the song they were talking about Elvis not wanting released is Dominic?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:33 pm

My first real introduction to Elvis behind the known hits. I, however, made the mistake of buying the cassette tapes, so I could listen to themn in my cool college car (a green 1969 Plymouth Fury). Those tapes disintegrated long ago.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm

I had my copy pre ordered at the HMV shop in Leeds, I took my lunch break from work at the start of the day and was standing outside the shop a good half hour before it opened ready to get my hands on that treasure, I remember sitting on the bus back to work and then from work to home just looking at the track listing and thinking how great it was to have new stuff to listen to, I still have my lp box and of course have bought the cd version and even after all this time it remains one of my favourite releases.

Alan.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

810814.JPG

Yeah poor Dominated Dominick :lol: , Well that was a load of bull :P .

Alan.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:07 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Interesting article... I wonder if the song they were talking about Elvis not wanting released is Dominic?

Yeah, that's the one. Elvis actually recorded worse songs than that one, but it's clear he was trying to draw the line a bit in 1968 when he told Felton Jarvis his feelings.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 pm

ICanHelp wrote:My first real introduction to Elvis behind the known hits. I, however, made the mistake of buying the cassette tapes, so I could listen to themn in my cool college car (a green 1969 Plymouth Fury). Those tapes disintegrated long ago.

The Plymouth lasted longer than the tapes?

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 am

I purchased the vinyl set upon it's release.
and in early 80's found new music,new photos,loved those full picture covers.
I also had heard that Joan had paid a fan for the concert/show that was included.
over all.. i was and still happy to have it. Elvis Aron Presley ...indeed!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:26 am

Lennart wrote:Thanks for sharing the review Mister Moon!

I bought this set back in 1980.
I had heard a couple of the songs from the box on the radio and they blew me away.
Polk Salad Annie and the LS/GB medley were awesome and I knew I had to get this boxset.
I loved it and played it a lot and still do occasionally although it´s the CD set I play nowadays.

Lennart

I was twelve when I bought this one. And it blewed me away. I just remembered being irritated with the yellow album from the TV specials, as I owned all those tracks.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:56 pm

I remember seeing it in record stores when I was a nipper.
Problem was, it was a box of records. A box of records!! I had to save for ages to afford 1 record or cassette, and they were usually cheap camden releases. So EAP was well beyond my reach.

Finally picked up a CD copy on Ebay some years later. I'm glad to have it in my collection. First time I heard some of the material, in particular the Hawaii concert. Man that blew.me.away!

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I read about this as a kid. There was an Elvis UK Fan Club Mag as a prize at a fairground - after unsuccessful attempts to win it I asked her could I buy it. She let me and shouted 'another winner' - was like a scene from Roustabout lol

It sounded awesome and was so relieved when it was issued on CD

I think A Legendary Performer in 74 convinced them that there was a market for this as it outsold ELVIS current product at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Why did the CD version of this set go out of print? In fact why did a lot of the CD versions of Elvis' original albums go out of print? Sort of put us in the mess we are in today. Multiple releases of the same album, compilations abound, much duplication, fans buying and rebuying. At one point all the albums had their CD versions on the shelves. It should have stayed that way period. Future releases being only deluxe editions (like Stax) for the collector or an unrelased show on the FTD label. The catalog would have been more condensed and accessible. Greed.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:28 pm

lpa wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:My first real introduction to Elvis behind the known hits. I, however, made the mistake of buying the cassette tapes, so I could listen to themn in my cool college car (a green 1969 Plymouth Fury). Those tapes disintegrated long ago.

The Plymouth lasted longer than the tapes?

Have you ever seen a Plymouth Fury? Those babies were indestructible, which is why my dad wisely bought me one. Mine ultimately was stolen from the parking lot of a mall in Brooklyn. It is probably still running somewhere.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:00 am

In my opinion, the 1961 Hawaii show was the centerpiece of this box set, Elvis was in great voice, he had a rocking band (including Boots Randolph on sax), and the setlist was an excellent combination of old and new. It only underscores how Elvis' career in the 60s might have been very different indeed had he taken his show on the road for a few dates a year.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 am

Right. He could hit the road in US in 1961 and soon after that he should do a world tour.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 pm

steve in SC wrote:I talked with Joan Deary on the phone on a regular basis back in the day. She didn't know me from Joe Smo but in the early '80's when I told her I was going to visit L.A. she invited me to come see her at her office. We sat and talked for an hour or so and she gave me a copy of one of the promo's for EAP so this set always has a spot in my heart. I remember being so excited about this release mostly from the conversations I had with Ms. Deary. She was a special lady and really was an Elvis fan. She told me at that time RCA had over 200 soundboards.

that is a lovely story.
i never bought the vinyl but loved my cd copy.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:56 am

dreambear wrote:I was twelve when I bought this one. And it blewed me away. I just remembered being irritated with the yellow album from the TV specials, as I owned all those tracks.

same here, dreambear, same age and the same thougts. it was the only "unnecessary" lp of the set.
i remember feeling pleasantly surprised about the wild audience reaction on the hawaiian lp. highlights for me were the laughing versions of "datin´" and "are you lonesome tonight", the latter got a lot of airplay here in germany in 1980 and the djs had different explanations for his laugh flash.
and then, there was the very 1st release of a concert from 1975, which looked very complete - now that was something!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 am

I loved this 8 LP set when it came out. I was disappointed that ALL of the "Lost Singles" were not included, like Come What May, and a couple of others I have lost track of since.

The box sets that blew me away when they came out were this one, 50 World Wide Gold Award Hits, and The King Of Rock and Roll. Of course, I am a sucker for box sets anyway.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 am

skatterbrane wrote:I loved this 8 LP set when it came out. I was disappointed that ALL of the "Lost Singles" were not included, like Come What May, and a couple of others I have lost track of since.

The box sets that blew me away when they came out were this one, 50 World Wide Gold Award Hits, and The King Of Rock and Roll. Of course, I am a sucker for box sets anyway.

You must be chomping at the bit for the TTWII set then!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am

r&b wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I loved this 8 LP set when it came out. I was disappointed that ALL of the "Lost Singles" were not included, like Come What May, and a couple of others I have lost track of since.

You must be chomping at the bit for the TTWII set then!

Oh I will get it, and I like just about all the concerts from the first 3 Las Vegas seasons, but I am not all that excited about it. It will be basically an archival purchase for me. I generally do not listen to most concerts more than a couple of times. I think I must listen to On Stage Feb 1970 more than any other concert CD.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:36 pm

"The Sound Of Your Cry" would have been one of them. However, it was included on the "Greatest Hits Volume 1" LP.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 pm

midnightx wrote:It was a fairly unique type of release back in 1980. In some ways, Deary showed the industry that there was a market for archival material (some in less-than-stellar sound quality) for legacy artists.

..about the sound quality, my copy (L 12590) has this memo included in it from Shari Marx, referencing a call from Joan Deary. Does anyone else have a memo like this in their copy? I believe I got my copy on eBay back in the early 90s. Thanks for the post Mister Moon!

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm

greggers wrote:
midnightx wrote:It was a fairly unique type of release back in 1980. In some ways, Deary showed the industry that there was a market for archival material (some in less-than-stellar sound quality) for legacy artists.

..about the sound quality, my copy (L 12590) has this memo included in it from Shari Marx, referencing a call from Joan Deary. Does anyone else have a memo like this in their copy? I believe I got my copy on eBay back in the early 90s. Thanks for the post Mister Moon!

You're welcome, greggers.

Very interesting to read this memo. I had never seen it before.

Yes, "Long Tall Sally" from the 1956 Vegas recording does indeed have a fault, at least. And I think "Money Honey" too, although much less noticeably.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 am

Mister Moon wrote:
greggers wrote:

eap_memo.jpg

You're welcome, greggers.

Very interesting to read this memo. I had never seen it before.

Yes, "Long Tall Sally" from the 1956 Vegas recording does indeed have a fault, at least. And I think "Money Honey" too, although much less noticeably.

The 5-06-1956 CS tape is missing a verse of "Long Tall Sally."

There may well have been more than four songs to close out his engagement at the New Frontier Hotel, perhaps up to seven or eight, but the tape was either lost or damaged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.