Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:11 pm

I read an interview with Joan Deary which mentioned the quality of the original tapes of the Tupelo concerts. She said that the quality was appalling and it took many hours of work to achieve the sound they did. The tape recorder was said to be run on batteries which caused the speed to constantly change, much of the work was to put that right. Considering this and the fact that the recording was made by holding a microphone up to a public address speaker, it is surprising that the sound is as good as it is.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Tony C wrote:I read an interview with Joan Deary which mentioned the quality of the original tapes of the Tupelo concerts. She said that the quality was appalling and it took many hours of work to achieve the sound they did. The tape recorder was said to be run on batteries which caused the speed to constantly change, much of the work was to put that right. Considering this and the fact that the recording was made by holding a microphone up to a public address speaker, it is surprising that the sound is as good as it is.

Here you go: http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 02,00.html

Imagine what could be achieved now!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:01 pm

sweetangeline wrote:just an open mind...the "clean-up job" that you ask for on these live recordings are not going to make the difference between night & day and yes that is taken in the fact of how much things have improved over the last few years, you can only do so much with this stuff, and I believe there is other factors at work here with regards to FTD and it`s guidelines/budget/whatever you want to call it but unless Ernst is asked and he gives a reply we will probably never know...sometimes those decisions are left private, but that doesn't mean the decision was not warranted unless you have the "bigger picture" :wink:

This would be my view.

What we do know is that there is not a lot left to reissue as far as studio work, and that is undoubtedly a factor in their decision-making. Quite frankly, after 15 years of exemplary, unprecedented CDs and books on the Follow That Dream label, to call the presentation of Love Me Tender a "cheap, and lazy approach" tells us the big picture, for some, is lost.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:just an open mind...the "clean-up job" that you ask for on these live recordings are not going to make the difference between night & day and yes that is taken in the fact of how much things have improved over the last few years, you can only do so much with this stuff, and I believe there is other factors at work here with regards to FTD and it`s guidelines/budget/whatever you want to call it but unless Ernst is asked and he gives a reply we will probably never know...sometimes those decisions are left private, but that doesn't mean the decision was not warranted unless you have the "bigger picture" :wink:

This would be my view.

What we do know is that there is not a lot left to reissue as far as studio work, and that is undoubtedly a factor in their decision-making. Quite frankly, after 15 years of exemplary, unprecedented CDs and books on the Follow That Dream label, to call the presentation of Love Me Tender a "cheap, and lazy approach" tells us the big picture, for some, is lost.

I agree --> LMT FTD IS a very well thought release.

10/10 for me.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:What we do know is that there is not a lot left to reissue as far as studio work, and that is undoubtedly a factor in their decision-making. Quite frankly, after 15 years of exemplary, unprecedented CDs and books on the Follow That Dream label, to call the presentation of Love Me Tender a "cheap, and lazy approach" tells us the big picture, for some, is lost.

I clearly refer only to disc 2 of the FTD, I didn't label the whole release as cheap and lazy. Disc 1 is clearly a winner for that material.

As for all the other quality FTDs out there, that's nice but we're not discussing those. It's tired to breeze over less than stellar work from the label by pointing to their wins, as if it somehow excuses poor work. It doesn't. If anything it turns up the spotlight. We know what they can achieve with this sort of source material, it's a shame they didn't bother this time.

Merely grabbing discs 2 and 3 of the old A Golden Celebration CDs and dumping the audio onto disc 2 of the FTD was indeed cheap and lazy. It's one thing if we're talking about a stellar previously restored and mastered audio source, but we're not.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What we do know is that there is not a lot left to reissue as far as studio work, and that is undoubtedly a factor in their decision-making. Quite frankly, after 15 years of exemplary, unprecedented CDs and books on the Follow That Dream label, to call the presentation of Love Me Tender a "cheap, and lazy approach" tells us the big picture, for some, is lost.

I clearly refer only to disc 2 of the FTD, I didn't label the whole release as cheap and lazy. Disc 1 is clearly a winner for that material.

Oh, that's different.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Apology accepted.

::rocks

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This would be my view.

If the situation is such that significant improvements could not be made to the Tupelo recordings, then one has to wonder why a decision was made to re-release it at all when copies of a Golden Celebration are still easy to come by? Likewise, why was a decision made to include the Hayride performance on the release of the second album?

The answer here is easy: money. The addition of these concerts to the studio material simply stretched one FTD release (linking Love Me Tender with the 2nd album, one CD each) over two releases, thus persuading people to part with more cash, despite there being no need whatsoever for two separate releases.

There's no ifs, no buts, no doubts.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Even so, no one holds a gun to your head. It's buyer's choice whether to buy or not.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:29 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Even so, no one holds a gun to your head. It's buyer's choice whether to buy or not.

It is, yes, but even so, there are those who buy all the FTDs to have a complete collection - and if anyone is being screwed over it's them. And it has got to the stage where people are being screwed over, or held to ransom: If you insist on buying all the FTDs, then we're gonna get as much money out of you as possible. A great philosophy for a label headed by a man who calls himself a fan.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Matthew wrote:Apology accepted.

::rocks

No apology proffered. You have lost the plot on this one, and it seems I am not the only one who sees it that way.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:47 pm

The Golden Celebration box set was prepared in 1984. Also, the MRS label said they attempted to 'remaster' these Tupelo recordings for their "Tupelo's own" set a few years back, but I couldn't detect any difference. Yes, it was a waste of time just dumping them on the LMT FTD without any attempt to enhance them.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

This would be my view.

If the situation is such that significant improvements could not be made to the Tupelo recordings, then one has to wonder why a decision was made to re-release it at all when copies of a Golden Celebration are still easy to come by? Likewise, why was a decision made to include the Hayride performance on the release of the second album?

The answer here is easy: money. The addition of these concerts to the studio material simply stretched one FTD release (linking Love Me Tender with the 2nd album, one CD each) over two releases, thus persuading people to part with more cash, despite there being no need whatsoever for two separate releases.

There's no ifs, no buts, no doubts.

I`m very happy that these are two separate FTD releases (ELVIS 2nd LP and LOVE ME TENDER soundtrack) they deserved it!! :D

poormadpeter wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Even so, no one holds a gun to your head. It's buyer's choice whether to buy or not.

It is, yes, but even so, there are those who buy all the FTDs to have a complete collection - and if anyone is being screwed over it's them. And it has got to the stage where people are being screwed over, or held to ransom: If you insist on buying all the FTDs, then we're gonna get as much money out of you as possible. A great philosophy for a label headed by a man who calls himself a fan.

...after many many releases going back to 1999 on FTD alone and not counting everything on the main label, I have no doubts that ERNST IS A FAN!! :D

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You have lost the plot on this one

Hardly, but you have fun trying to undermine a perfectly reasoned point of view, again, because a whiff of negative critique is written about a FTD product.

:smt023

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You have lost the plot on this one

Hardly, but you have fun trying to undermine a perfectly reasoned point of view, again, because a whiff of negative critique is written about a FTD product.

:smt023

The 'Doc' prefers the MRS release with these concerts on. :wink:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:58 am

[quote="sweetangeline

...after many many releases going back to 1999 on FTD alone and not counting everything on the main label, I have no doubts that ERNST IS A FAN!! :D[/quote]

Undoubtedly - but no longer "one of the fans." Instead, it's quite clear his intentions aren't to serve the fans and give them what they want, but to make sure they are fleeced for as much money as possible (thus securing his own job, no doubt). We have seen it for years now. The first FTD releases were almost entirely given over to unreleased material, now there are many releases that contain virtually all released material.

Elvis and Love Me Tender in particular show that the number of releases is going to be dragged out as much as possible. The 2nd disc of both releases offer nothing new or even restored. What's more, the music on the first disc of Love Me Tender runs for less than 40 minutes - the whole disc is only just over 50 minutes (and part of that is repeated material from elsewhere on the same disc). As for the Elvis release, there's less than eight minutes of new material, and a 2nd disc lasting less than 30 minutes containing a concert released in the same sound twice in the last four years already.

Fans complain about the same old material on the retail level releases, and yet support the same policy on the FTD label.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:29 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

poormadpeter wrote:If the situation is such that significant improvements could not be made to the Tupelo recordings, then one has to wonder why a decision was made to re-release it at all when copies of a Golden Celebration are still easy to come by?

There are many sets still available but just on ebay or Amazon were they are only sold by sellers :wink:. Why?, because it was deleted by BMG just four years later and has not been reissued again officially until now! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

a discerning fan on Amazon.com in February 10, 2002 wrote:Today is the fourth anniversary of this set's reissue on compact disc, and already it is out of print!. Until executives at BMG (which now owns the Presley catalog) come to their senses again, your best bet is either to find a record store that still has one last copy lying on its shelves or to order it used

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:29 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:If the situation is such that significant improvements could not be made to the Tupelo recordings, then one has to wonder why a decision was made to re-release it at all when copies of a Golden Celebration are still easy to come by?

There are many sets still available but just on ebay or Amazon were they are only sold by sellers. Why?, because it was deleted by BMG just four years later and has not been reissued again officially until now!

Spot-on, Mike. Over 12 years being officially unavailable is quite different. It's not at all analogous to "the same old material on the retail level releases."

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Finaly listened to this set today...

CD 1 is fantastic, soundwise very hard to beat, the tracks sound so fresh they could have been recorded yesterday.

CD 2 is in sound the same as on the Gold set, and since most collectors have those, it's not that essential, although the recordings are.

My verdict; This could have been a great one disc project, and nobody would complained.
But it's a double set.
Since the shows on disc 2 are not reworked at all, i'm a little disapointed, there is room for improvement i guess, wit todays tecnology.

But hey, cd 2 is a nice bonus too me, since the LMT soundtrack is the main selling point.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:04 pm

JohanD wrote:Finaly listened to this set today...

CD 1 is fantastic, soundwise very hard to beat, the tracks sound so fresh they could have been recorded yesterday.

CD 2 is in sound the same as on the Gold set, and since most collectors have those, it's not that essential, although the recordings are.

My verdict; This could have been a great one disc project, and nobody would complained.
But it's a double set.
Since the shows on disc 2 are not reworked at all, i'm a little disapointed, there is room for improvement i guess, wit todays tecnology.

But hey, cd 2 is a nice bonus too me, since the LMT soundtrack is the main selling point.

That's right! Two fantastic live shows as a bonus; what's not to like here?

Photo from - Young Man With A Big Beat
image.jpg

The interview elements are superb > here's the car Elvis mentions -->

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Messerschmitt is quite an oddity amongst his extensive car collection.

Follow That Dream have assembled superb interview elements first heard on a 78 release >>

image.jpg
It's a fantastic classic 2-CD LOVE ME TENDER FTD soundtrack release. The Nick Adams interview is interesting - Nick mentions 'Okra' cooked for him by Glady's, a tasty dish he enjoyed. Here in the UK it's known as ladies fingers. From the internet -->> Originally from Africa, okra is now widely used in cuisines such as Caribbean, Creole, Cajun and Indian. It's also known as bhindi or lady's fingers, in reference to the long, elegantly tapering shape.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:45 am, edited 10 times in total.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:47 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:

But it's a double set.

The interview elements are superb. Here's the car Elvis mentions -->

image.jpg

Follow That Dream have assembled superb elements resulting in a very FINE LMT FTD release.
what book is that?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:06 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:

But it's a double set.

The interview elements are superb. Here's the car Elvis mentions -->

image.jpg

Follow That Dream have assembled superb elements resulting in a very FINE LMT FTD release.
what book is that?

Car pic from Four Days in '56

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

There are many sets still available but just on ebay or Amazon were they are only sold by sellers. Why?, because it was deleted by BMG just four years later and has not been reissued again officially until now!

Spot-on, Mike. Over 12 years being officially unavailable is quite different. It's not at all analogous to "the same old material on the retail level releases."

Thanks Doc!. It is what it is......

Of course I wanted it in better sound quality but maybe they couldnĀ“t improve it, but as it is for free (2nd cd), I welcome it because they charge it as it were only 1 cd :smt023.

And now I am waiting for the September/October FTD releases, hope it is Flaming Star & Elvis For Everyone! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Free? Good one.

Don't be fooled that there wasn't room in the original FTD margins to allow for 2CD sets. The single discs have a nice healthy margin built into them.

Re:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Matthew wrote:Free? Good one.

Don't be fooled that there wasn't room in the original FTD margins to allow for 2CD sets. The single discs have a nice healthy margin built into them.

As said before, as long as FTD charge the same price for the 2 cd set, I am more than happy :wink:. By the way I am more than content as well that they have made two separate sets, one for Love Me Tender & the other one for Elvis LPM-1382, just for the sake of completeness 8). Bye for now :smt006.