Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:48 am

Thank you, Doc. That was a set I chose not to get.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Disc 1 of this and Elvis (2nd album) would have been great, but I still prefer a release per album (or extended play album by the way). I even "bitched" a bit when some Love Letters from Elvis undubbed masters appeared on Elvis Country :facep: :)

They could have done single disc editions of both and charged the same (as on Stay Away Joe), so I take the 2nd cds as bonuses. ::rocks

I say it over and over again. We look at all of them 7" FTD releases on our living rooms or wherever they're placed maybe dismissing the fact that the lot is the most valuable collection ever made of Elvis, and I could even say of any other artist. Considering such series about other performers I love, like Sinatra , would be a dream come true. We are indeed living in an Elvis dream.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 am

frus75 wrote:Disc 1 of this and Elvis (2nd album) would have been great, but I still prefer a release per album (or extended play album by the way). I even "bitched" a bit when some Love Letters from Elvis undubbed masters appeared on Elvis Country :facep: :)

They could have done single disc editions of both and charged the same (as on Stay Away Joe), so I take the 2nd cds as bonuses. ::rocks

I say it over and over again. We look at all of them 7" FTD releases on our living rooms or wherever they're placed maybe dismissing the fact that the lot is the most valuable collection ever made of Elvis, and I could even say of any other artist. Considering such series about other performers I love, like Sinatra , would be a dream come true. We are indeed living in an Elvis dream.

I really don't disagree.

Re:

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Matthew wrote:
Mike C wrote:[Yes, that is correct. It was mastered by Farrante and Vince Caro. It is in the booklet (page 2) of the set.

That is highly disappointing because this means FTD have merely ported over the 1998 audio from the CD reissue of A Golden Celebration when in 2014 they should be going back to the original recording tapes and restoring the audio for release.

This does not surprise me at all. Neither does it surprise me that the 'accapella' version of Let me has been omitted plus an edit on 'the truth about me'. Dear oh dear.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 pm

I love the "Young Man with the Big Beat" boxed set. I had hoped they would continue with a 1957 set and a 1958 set. It was really well put together. The bonus EP was cool (but it didn't really look exactly like the original...probably intentional). If you don't have it, you really should get it. That and the "Boy from Tupelo" sets were both amazing.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:47 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I love the "Young Man with the Big Beat" boxed set. I had hoped they would continue with a 1957 set and a 1958 set. It was really well put together. The bonus EP was cool (but it didn't really look exactly like the original...probably intentional). If you don't have it, you really should get it. That and the "Boy from Tupelo" sets were both amazing.

What is "bonus EP". I own YMWABB but haven't looked close. Do they all have this?

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:28 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:I love the "Young Man with the Big Beat" boxed set. I had hoped they would continue with a 1957 set and a 1958 set. It was really well put together. The bonus EP was cool (but it didn't really look exactly like the original...probably intentional). If you don't have it, you really should get it. That and the "Boy from Tupelo" sets were both amazing.

What is "bonus EP". I own YMWABB but haven't looked close. Do they all have this?


It was an offer given to those who pre-ordered the set. A cute vinyl keepsake.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:41 pm

But, ultimately a gimmick to get more to buy the set which is all public domain material.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Tony.. wrote:But, ultimately a gimmick to get more to buy the set which is all public domain material.


Wrong, and wrong.

First of all, the promo EP was pressed in small numbers.

Secondly, any track previously unpublished by RCA is not "public domain."

Why are you almost always a naysayer about any and every Elvis Presley release? It really gets old.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 pm

If it was by MRS, you would hate it. You have more 'agendas' than most on here.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Tony.. wrote:If it was by MRS, you would hate it. You have more 'agendas' than most on here.


Straw-man. Move on, naysayer. :smt023

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 pm

When quoting public domain, we must remember that this only applies to within the EU.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rollinson1 wrote:It appears by the number of posts about this release that many may have given it a miss? May this justifies peoples comments that this should have been disc 2 to the Elvis album.


The audio for the soundtrack work will likely never be bettered, which makes this essential for the devoted collector.

That's right. Been listening since it arrived and LMT with all its additional elements is a fantastic FTD release —>> Ernst and gang have put a great deal of thought into the whole presentation...

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:40 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:That's right. Been listening since it arrived and LMT with all its additional elements is a fantastic FTD release —>> Ernst and gang have put a great deal of thought into the whole presentation...

Apart from the sorry lack of effort (i.e. no effort) restoring and remastering the live content, which is merely ported over from the old 1998 CDs, themselves derived from 1985 album masters. That second disc is all but worthless here.

Whoever convinced Ernst to not proceed with his plan to combine Elvis and Love Me Tender into a single package, the logical step for this material, has cost the purchaser money.

Cheap and a missed opportunity, one unlikely to ever come around again.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:46 am

Matthew wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:That's right. Been listening since it arrived and LMT with all its additional elements is a fantastic FTD release —>> Ernst and gang have put a great deal of thought into the whole presentation...

Apart from the sorry lack of effort (i.e. no effort) restoring and remastering the live content, which is merely ported over from the old 1998 CDs, themselves derived from 1985 album masters. That second disc is all but worthless here.

Whoever convinced Ernst to not proceed with his plan to combine Elvis and Love Me Tender into a single package, the logical step for this material, has cost the purchaser money.

Cheap and a missed opportunity, one unlikely to ever come around again.


A missed opportunity NOT to enjoy the release. I've enjoyed the hell out of it. There's loads to enjoy here —-> The concert is not newly mastered but considering its age perfectly listenable. And what fantastic concerts they are...

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:50 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:A missed opportunity NOT to enjoy the release. I've enjoyed the hell out of it. There's loads to enjoy here —-> The concert is not newly mastered but considering its age perfectly listenable. And what fantastic concerts they are...

Disc 1, yes. Disc 2 offers no advantage over the old 1998 CDs, do you have them?

"Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Agreed re cd1 and cd2 but....in spite of no real sound improvement or that part that I love when Elvis removes himself of any blame when explaining to the teenaged crowd that they need to quiet down.
From a period and package perspective, the inclusion of the Tupelo shows is totally reasonable. Of course I'd love to have these gigs in better sound, but maybe that opportunity either doesn't exist or a surprise awaits us.
Either way, this FTD really makes sense as an overall period piece for August/Sept/Oct 1956.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Matthew wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:A missed opportunity NOT to enjoy the release. I've enjoyed the hell out of it. There's loads to enjoy here —-> The concert is not newly mastered but considering its age perfectly listenable. And what fantastic concerts they are...

Disc 1, yes. Disc 2 offers no advantage over the old 1998 CDs, do you have them?

No! LMT FTD is very appealing for fans who don't have the concerts...

I'm crazy about the 1950s live concerts -->> what do you think are the best?

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:16 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I love the "Young Man with the Big Beat" boxed set. I had hoped they would continue with a 1957 set and a 1958 set. It was really well put together. The bonus EP was cool (but it didn't really look exactly like the original...probably intentional). If you don't have it, you really should get it. That and the "Boy from Tupelo" sets were both amazing.

Just got YMWABB ->> fabulous!

image.jpg


It was the awesome ABFT that rekindled my interest in not only the fascinating early story but the fabulous live era recordings.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:For anybody that doesn't have this release.. the stereo masters and the outtakes are STELLAR. Clean, crisp, and beautiful. Far and away, the best these masters have sounded.


I totally agree. The audio is just fantastic on the LMT tracks.

It was great to hear the Tupelo shows also. It's been a long time. Just wish the audio was improved.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:26 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:No! LMT FTD is very appealing for fans who don't have the concerts...

How many FTD customers do not have the old box set? FTD is geared towards customers who invest in the rarities sets and their purpose was never to merely gather together old masterings which offer no benefit or improvement for the buyer.

It is highly disappointing that FTD would merely port over the very same mastering used on those old CDs, themselves derivatives of 1985 LP masters. Dennis Ferrante was not known for restoring old recordings such as these.

a mess of polk salad wrote:I'm crazy about the 1950s live concerts

I love them too, which is why it is so disappointing they have not bothered to restore and remaster them here. Knowing the sort of results that can be achieved with these old amateur recordings this is a wasted opportunity, one unlikely to ever come around again.

Cheap, and lazy approach. It might as well be a single disc product.

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Matthew wrote:Knowing the sort of results that can be achieved with these old amateur recordings this is a wasted opportunity, one unlikely to ever come around again. Cheap, and lazy approach. It might as well be a single disc product.


...I would love to see Ernst response to this, I think you may be surprised

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 pm

sweetangeline wrote:...I would love to see Ernst response to this, I think you may be surprised

Do you have some information regarding this?

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm

just an open mind...the "clean-up job" that you ask for on these live recordings are not going to make the difference between night & day and yes that is taken in the fact of how much things have improved over the last few years, you can only do so much with this stuff, and I believe there is other factors at work here with regards to FTD and it`s guidelines/budget/whatever you want to call it but unless Ernst is asked and he gives a reply we will probably never know...sometimes those decisions are left private, but that doesn't mean the decision was not warranted unless you have the "bigger picture" :wink:

Re: "Love Me Tender" FTD In Stock & Shipping!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:06 pm

It needs to be understood that these live recordings were transferred in 1985, and mastered for the original LP box set of A Golden Celebration.

These LP masters were used for the 1998 CD edition, with no restoration done.

Now, the 1998 CD has simply be transferred for the FTD.

This is not a quality signal chain.

The original live tapes should have been transferred fresh, cleaned up, and remastered. That would have made a difference.

This didn't happen, and it is a wasted opportunity.