Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A New Elvis Exhibition

Mon May 12, 2003 12:58 am

The following taken from the UK North West Teletext News pages:

-------------------------------------
TEAM SETS UP ELVIS EXHIBIT
The team behind the Beatles Story at Liverpool's Albert Dock is now setting up an Elvis exhibition.

Main features include a Harley Davidson bike owned by Elvis, and a gun licence with his fingerprints on.

Also on display will be guitars, karate suits, jewellery and stage outfits. Fingerprints of Elvis, which includes a guided audio tour, opens in June 2003.
------------------------------------

and here it is.....

Fri May 30, 2003 3:26 pm

http://www.fingerprintsofelvis.com/

Fri May 30, 2003 3:32 pm

Hi

I just happened to be in Liverpool last weekend and was talking to the guy at the docks who was advertising the exhibition. I could be wrong, but I think he mentioned that David Stanley may be coming over to open it up.

Clarke

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:11 pm

Well it looks like DAVID STANLEY is over here, he was on our local TV news this evening doing an interview from inside the exhibition that opens on Saturday.

They have a bike, a car, some suits and get this some X-Ray's of Elvis' hands and arm !???!!!!!? (Can't wait to see those, oh golly gosh) Yes that's a little sarcasm !

It's tied in very nicely with being off work this week though so I've printed out my £1.00 off voucher from the website and I'm going over to Liverpool on Saturday to view it all for myself.

Anyone else from this board going who fancies meeting up?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:49 am

These kind of exhibits are usually pretty interesting, ......... if the items are legit and not too "off-the-wall."

I think Stanley has an interest in this aspect of Elvis Collecting - Elvis' personal items, etc.. He does know his stuff when it comes to authentication issues and his word is reliable (believe it or not, more so than some others whom are generally regarded more positively than Stanley in the "Elvis-World"). I have yet to see what I consider to be a bogus item vouched for by Stanley (unlike other MMM's who will sign a COA in support of any item so long as $$$ is passed).

N8
...just a fan....

Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:53 pm

EPCOLL., ............ I don't know much about jumpsuits, but like I said, I have yet to personally see a bogus item vouched for by Stanley.

I take your word for it, though. Sounds intriquing.

I'm not sure what your point is, however. I could point to others who have not only vouched for but also SOLD bogus items.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, makes mistakes. The key factor to watch for is - is it intentional or not.

N8
...just a fan....

Suspicious Minds

Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:09 pm

Do I see a few Suspicious Minds here?
Well actually, yes and I'm now one of them too !
I phoned the exhibition to ask if I could bring my camera and the reply was 'NO CAMERAS', so I asked how about if I don't use my flash like at GRACELAND and the reply was 'NO CAMERAS'.
So I then asked about taking notes for an Elvis club I'm in as they would like a report for the club magazine, the reply was as follows 'hang on', footsteps away from the phone, brief lull, footsteps back to the phone and 'which club is it for'? my reply then footsteps away from the phone again, brief lull, footsteps back to the phone and 'yes, that's OK with us'

Ah well, let the scrutiny begin ?

Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:09 pm

ME4EP -

Why in the world would you even need "permission" to take notes!?!

At any rate, the "NO CAMERA" policy doesn't mean squat in terms of the "authenticity" of items. That's quite a leap of association, if you ask me.

While I think that exhibit goers should respect the owners' policy, ...... technology is such that there really are ways around it if one really wanted to "document" it.

You are correct, however, in that "Suspicious Minds" are always required; for skeptical inquiry goes hand-in-hand with this area of Elvis collecting, lest one be ripped-off of some major money.

Stanley has promoted for other private collectors (as have Hebler, and a number of others); it isn't a first.

N8
...just a fan....

Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:55 pm

N880EP

Re: Why in the world would you even need "permission" to take notes!?!

I thought I would be official and polite and do it correctly, especially after being told NO CAMERA's first, that's all.

Re: the "NO CAMERA" policy doesn't mean squat in terms of the "authenticity" of items.

I never said it did, did I ?
Maybe my words were a little too open and you were reading between the lines, sorry about that, it's not what I meant.
A lot of people harp on about Graceland but at least after paying your money they let you take photos without flash.

Re: While I think that exhibit goers should respect the owners' policy, ...... technology is such that there really are ways around it if one really wanted to "document" it.

I agree, but I shall not be restricting my options to view the exhibition for the sake of a few snaps which I have been told are not allowed.

So is anyone else going or will I be the only one from this board there ?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:28 am

ME4EP -

Have a good one. :D

N880EP
...just a fan....

The Exhibition

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:06 pm

I'll give this one 8 out out 10.

The numbers on some of the exhibits are not there yet and the one's that are need to be a little bigger and in a more prominent position, I was not the only one to miss a couple of them.
The audio guides are the same make and type as the ones Graceland use at the moment.
With a little fine tuning it should work well, the staff are friendly but there are signs on the doors saying 'NO PHOTOGRAPHY' but you knew that already didn't you ?
Not that it stopped a couple of visitors that I saw using there small pocket type cameras...... there's no way I could get away with it with mine though....... until that is a certain Mr Stanley happened to pass along side of me so I stumped up the question,

" David, do you mind if I take a couple of photos without flash for a fan club I'm in?"

The answer was returned

" without flash, sure, OK".

So out came the camera and on three different occasions so did three different members of staff who approached me saying I couldn't take them.

You can guess what my answer was...... "well David said it was OK without flash."
I was waiting for them to doubt me because unknown to them I was recording on my MP3 dictaphone taking notes at the time I asked him, I got the whole thing if they needed to listen to it :D
It's called covering your back.

As a result I have some snaps but the lighting was very difficult, more so than Graceland believe it or not.

Most of them look better greyscaled to black and white.

If I can work out how to get a picture in the message body on here I'll post an interesting shot of the final item in the exhibition.

Its the mould that was used for the temporary cover over Elvis grave before the bronze one was finalised.
It's laid on the floor as per the Meditation Garden, interesting but not so at the same time.
Can't make my mind up about seeing / photographing it.

Dubious items? A couple I think, especially (I hate to say this) "Elvis Presleys personal TCB necklace, taken from his neck and given to Rick Stanley at Graceland".

I was fortunate enough a few years ago to see and hold a real solid gold TCB necklace and chain given to the last security guard Elvis ever employed himself at Graceland before he passed away.
This guy was the husband to Ms Pauline who worked in the kitchen at Graceland.
This TCB was deeper in depth, more solid and looked like Gold, the one I viewed today looks just like those reproductions you can buy at Graceland.
Yes I took a picture and I have one somewhere of the original I mentioned which I hope I can find now.

But overall I nice exhibition that promotes Elvis well.

One thing that did make me chuckle on the audio guide was David mentioning that the girls he got as leftovers from Elvis were way better than any you would ever get yourself.
Not sure how that reflects on him but I don't doubt it's the truth :shock:

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:23 pm

Would anyone be interested in seeing a 1.3mb exe presentation I'm putting together with a few pics from the exhibition ?

Nothing illegal here as I had permission to take the pics, I just want to share them 'for the viewing only' with other fans.

Let me know OK?

Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:43 am

I'd be very interested in seeing the pictures please.

I checked out your site and was impressed with the images you had taken.

I look forward to checking out the exhibition pictures.

Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:32 am

Thanks for you kind comments Getlo, just don't expect these pictures to be as good as those that's all :cry:
Bad lighting and lots of HOT spots but worth a look I'm sure.

http://www.ajs.mersinet.co.uk/fingerprints.htm

Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:38 am

ME4EP - Interesting, ....... thanks for the report.

Always be assertive, I say .............. lol ..............

BTW, ........... ALL big collections have a "dubious" item or two ...... it comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned.

N8
...just a fan....