Re: a whole lotta LOVE ... for Jackie Wilson!

Thu May 29, 2014 10:48 am

A little more love for y'all.

Just found this wonderful ad for Jackie's newest single, "What Good Am I Without You?" released around Christmas 1962. It did not crack the Billboard "Hot 100" but Wilson's next 45, "Baby Workout," became one of his all-time biggest hits, on both the Pop and R&B charts.

Billboard Dec 08 1962 p25.JPG
Billboard - December 8, 1962

Note the Hal Wallis title song on the B-side ... another Elvis connection!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Cool info, thank you Doc!

So glad you enjoyed it!

Stuff like this make one feel just that much closer to Elvis. He really adored Jackie Wilson.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:41 am

Good info, thanks Doc.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm

"he did a Presley tribute that included rearranged versions of "Don't Be Cruel" and "Paralyzed" that Elvis immediately adapted to his own live performances. "

Is there any way to watch or listen to this?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 pm

lanadelslay on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm wrote:
"he did a Presley tribute that included rearranged versions of "Don't Be Cruel" and "Paralyzed" that Elvis immediately adapted to his own live performances. "

Is there any way to watch or listen to this?

Elvis performing the Jackie Wilson arrangement of "Don't Be Cruel" at the "Million Dollar Quartet" jam session, December 1956:

Don't Be Cruel (Version 1):

phpBB [media]

Don't Be Cruel (Version 2):

phpBB [media]

Don't Be Cruel (Version 3):

phpBB [media]

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 am

And "Paralyzed" from the same session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bPFpuyomjo

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 am

And don't forget Don't Be Cruel from the third Sullivan show and Paralyzed from the December 1956 Hayride Show. I really like these.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Just watched the fascinating clip about Jackie from an early edition of 20/20. Such a sad tale, but it allowed me to up my opinion of Col. Parker just a weee bit. Can you image what would've / could've happened to Elvis' career and finances had he run into a manager like Jackie had.

A lot of Jackie's dance moves, facial expressions are very similar to Elvis. He must have studied his performances quite closely.

Great topic!!!!

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm surprised there aren't any biopics or good documentaries about him...

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:55 am

Jackie Wilson is one of the greatest talents in all of rock'n'soul--he can't be praised enough. The public mostly remembers him for "Higher and Higher," but that is the tip of the iceberg. His voice was genuinely operatic (as demonstrated in songs like "Night"), and, in terms of technique, superior to that of Elvis. The two were very much alike: They shared the same influences (Roy Hamilton, Mario Lanza, and Roy Brown) and had similar tastes. Both ranged widely among genres--like Elvis, Jackie was equally at home in pop, blues, soul, and pseudo-operatic pop; he didn't try Country, but he did get away with singing "My Yiddishe Momma"!
There's also a little Elvis reference in Jackie's "Love Train," where he sings he's "going to check into the heartbreak hotel."

When it came to ballads, Elvis and Jackie's tastes are especially close: each recorded versions of "Rags to Riches," "Pledging My Love," "You'll Never Walk Alone," "Danny Boy," "You Don't Know Me," "Blue Moon," and "I Believe." According to Peter Guralnick, one of Jackie's versions of "Danny Boy" (he recorded three) inspired Elvis's take on the song. Here's Jackie's second version, which has syrupy orchestration but his most powerful vocal:

Elvis knew he couldn't directly compete, so he resourcefully filled in the parts Jackie left open. Whereas Jackie ends the song on "Say an Ave there for me," turning the line into a showcase of vocal acrobatics, Elvis saves his effort until the final verse, which Wilson left out, and builds with "And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me." Like Wilson, he ends with a falsetto, but on a far more subdued note. It's an enlightening lesson in how to compete with a singer whose technique was hard to match.

I'm happy to report that Jackie's albums are being re-released on CD by British, European, and Japanese companies, and have become easier to find. His early 70s albums--such as This Love Is Real and You Got Me Walking--feature beautifully produced, contemporary soul played by Motown's Funk Brothers. Jackie's last two albums, Beautiful Day and Nobody But You are also winners, and show that his untimely demise couldn't have come at a worse time.

Here's a great latter day live performance by the man:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:47 am

I think this song just shows the overwhelming amount of soul he had in his voice, it's mind blowing to me. Sounds so dramatic but it's so true, he was something else

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Indeed a whole lotta love for Jackie Wilson. Great topic, thanks. One of the few solo artists i keep on returning listening too. Elvis, Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke.
Amazing voice, vocally almost close to perfection. The only downside in his career for me are the heavily operatic styled songs he recorded.
But other than that, a whole lotta love!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm

lanadelslay on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:47 pm wrote:I think this song just shows the overwhelming amount of soul he had in his voice, it's mind blowing to me. Sounds so dramatic but it's so true, he was something else

What makes "Nobody But You" even more poignant is that it's from the last album (also called Nobody But You) Jackie made before his horrifying prolonged demise. The fact that it was a terrific album was another twist of the knife.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am

Are you ready.....from 1962, Presley jerks and Jolson eye-rolls:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

I am in awe

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 pm

At about 6.30 Jackie talks about Elvis