Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Fabbe wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:From Ask Ernst Part 1 -->

4- Referring to the August 12/70 MS show on the 30th Anniversary 3CD Set issued in 2000. The version of "Polk Salad Annie" from this show was used in the original and special edition edits of the film. As Jerry Scheff's intro pounds away in the film Elvis says, "what you lookin' at!" But it is not heard on the CD release. Was this removed? If so, why? Or, are we mistaken as to what show's performance was used in the film?
(From Anthony Britch,Canada)

+++ Well spotted. RCA's tape of the show was missing the intro to POLK SALAD, due to tape change. We had to get the opening bars from another show. A little bit of cheating, I will agree, but better than releasing it without the intro.

Source --> http://www.elvis-collectors.com/askernst1.html

ok, but if it is available on the film on multitrack, can't they just use that recording as intro?

No, they cannot. The disparity of the two sources would be extremely noticeable, which is why it was not done 14 years ago.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

4- Referring to the August 12/70 MS show on the 30th Anniversary 3CD Set issued in 2000. The version of "Polk Salad Annie" from this show was used in the original and special edition edits of the film. As Jerry Scheff's intro pounds away in the film Elvis says, "what you lookin' at!" But it is not heard on the CD release. Was this removed? If so, why? Or, are we mistaken as to what show's performance was used in the film?

+++ Well spotted. RCA's tape of the show was missing the intro to POLK SALAD, due to tape change. We had to get the opening bars from another show. A little bit of cheating, I will agree, but better than releasing it without the intro.

ok, but if it is available on the film on multitrack, can't they just use that recording as intro?

No, they cannot. The disparity of the two sources would be extremely noticeable, which is why it was not done 14 years ago.

Surely audio technology-wizardry-mixin' 'n' masterin' whatever has moved on a jot since even then (crikey, the archive stuff on 'A Boy From Tupelo' is testament to that!!), is it not just perhaps Warner won't let RCA fiddle about with bits of their master tapes?

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:35 pm

When In Rome wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

Surely audio technology-wizardry-mixin' 'n' masterin' whatever has moved on a jot since even then (crikey, the archive stuff on 'A Boy From Tupelo' is testament to that!!), is it not just perhaps Warner won't let RCA fiddle about with bits of their master tapes?

That's true but what's more captivating is we are getting a six minute plus version on the Aug.12DS that is fully complete -->>and it's a great extended bluesy funky version...

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Will pass on the next coming releases: That´s The Way It Is 8cd/2 DVD SONY boxset; Elvis-Backdraft-Final Countdown To Midnight & The Ultimate Elvis 3 book set :wink:.

Will invest my money on any of the three original SUN singles I am still missing! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Will pass on the next coming releases: That´s The Way It Is 8cd/2 DVD SONY boxset; Elvis-Backdraft-Final Countdown To Midnight & The Ultimate Elvis 3 book set :wink:.

Will invest my money on any of the three original SUN singles I am still missing! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

I've pre-ordered all three of them plus the Follow That Dream Blu-Ray. It's going to be an expensive holiday season. :smt001

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Will pass on the next coming releases: That´s The Way It Is 8cd/2 DVD SONY boxset; Elvis-Backdraft-Final Countdown To Midnight & The Ultimate Elvis 3 book set :wink:.

Will invest my money on any of the three original SUN singles I am still missing!

If I had the same means, I would do like you. Plus, you have that nice turntable to play them on. Let us know which ones you get.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:15 pm

midnightx wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:The reprise on You've Lost That Loving Feeling adds nothing to the song except length (IMO).

You are correct, but you are also dealing with fans that made a huge issue out of the false start of Help Me from the 1974 Memphis multi-track.

The need some had to own the false start of Help Me was indeed amusing but I love the reprise of YLTLF. I'm surprised you guys dismiss it like this. Elvis just shows all his power and touch on this half song. Awesome!

And I will eat my hat if it's not included on the new release. Of course, I'll have to read about it here since I'm not buying all this stuff again.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Will pass on the next coming releases: That´s The Way It Is 8cd/2 DVD SONY boxset; Elvis-Backdraft-Final Countdown To Midnight & The Ultimate Elvis 3 book set :wink:.

Will invest my money on any of the three original SUN singles I am still missing!

If I had the same means, I would do like you. Plus, you have that nice turntable to play them on. Let us know which ones you get.

Doc I will try, that doesn´t mean I will be able to get them :wink:. The last ones I need are the most expensive :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 pm

hm80ep wrote:

I've pre-ordered all three of them plus the Follow That Dream Blu-Ray. It's going to be an expensive holiday season. :smt001

I'm still undecided about the TTWII set (got The Complete Works..do I 'really' need this)

don't want the Backdraft set....got TFC...and thats enough of that era for me....lol

Would love the new sessions books.....but Memphis is calling in 6 weeks and thats my priority...plus, if they are so 'beautiful', I'd be a bit reluctant to use them....Mmmmmmmm :smt017 :smt017

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 am

debtd1 wrote:
hm80ep wrote:

I'm still undecided about the TTWII set (got The Complete Works..do I 'really' need this)

don't want the Backdraft set....got TFC...and thats enough of that era for me....lol

Would love the new sessions books.....but Memphis is calling in 6 weeks and thats my priority...plus, if they are so 'beautiful', I'd be a bit reluctant to use them....Mmmmmmmm :smt017 :smt017

But the Backdraft set is so incredible...so different than TFC...and so different than the rest of 1976. It's an essential part of any Elvis fan's collection ;)

But I agree with you on TTWII though. I have The Complete Works, and The Complete Shows DVDs. I'm not interested in the official TTWII set unless it includes all of TCW or TCS without Turner text in perfect quality. Otherwise, I'm sticking with The Complete Works and The Complete Shows. Both are superior in every way.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 am

BrianTCB wrote:But the Backdraft set is so incredible...

Unless you have the set in your hands, how can you say this?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I know, I know...I'm impressed with the ads. Now, if the set lives up to my expectations when I get it... ;)

My bad on that one. I should be a little more careful when I post. Chalk it up to me being a bit excited to see a set like this devoted to 12/31/1976.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 am

BrianTCB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I know, I know...I'm impressed with the ads. Now, if the set lives up to my expectations when I get it... ;)

My bad on that one. I should be a little more careful when I post. Chalk it up to me being a bit excited to see a set like this devoted to 12/31/1976.

Do you think we'll see John Herman get acknowledged?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

How do you know its his recording They used :?:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:I know, I know...I'm impressed with the ads. Now, if the set lives up to my expectations when I get it... ;)

You of all people should not be playing dumb. The set is almost certainly dominated by the audio and film captured by Herman. It is very apparent in the promotional video uploaded to this forum last week.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No idea Doc...if anywhere I would imagine he would be acknowledged in the book. Only time will tell if we will see this happening.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:33 am

Ordered!!

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:I know, I know...I'm impressed with the ads. Now, if the set lives up to my expectations when I get it... ;)

You of all people should not be playing dumb. The set is almost certainly dominated by the audio and film captured by Herman. It is very apparent in the promotional video uploaded to this forum last week.

Spot on, John...another variation :wink: of the Herman tape...we know.. :wink:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

'where can I find the promo video

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:42 pm

WMarkJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

'where can I find the promo video

Here:
phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 pm

thanks Johnny

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Amazon now lists this cover

Last edited by K.C. on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Do you think the two unreleased shows will be released by FTD in the future as separate discs? It'd be nice to have the new box set but like most other fans and collectors I've pretty much got everything already from the TTWIS period. I'd only want to have the two shows so I have them as official releases.

Of course, if I won the lottery it'd be a whole different story!!

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 am

Squire Smart wrote:Do you think the two unreleased shows will be released by FTD in the future as separate discs? It'd be nice to have the new box set but like most other fans and collectors I've pretty much got everything already from the TTWIS period. I'd only want to have the two shows so I have them as official releases.

The 2CD version of ttwii will feature one of the unreleased shows, August 12 DS.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Squire Smart wrote:Do you think the two unreleased shows will be released by FTD in the future as separate discs? It'd be nice to have the new box set but like most other fans and collectors I've pretty much got everything already from the TTWIS period. I'd only want to have the two shows so I have them as official releases.

The 2CD version of ttwii will feature one of the unreleased shows, August 12 DS.

Thanks for the info, Johhny.