Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:07 am

Looking at the book part of the box, it seems like the soundtrack was recorded for MGM (listed as the client) not RCA. So MGM has the master tapes and gave copies to RCA?

It was recorded on 16 tracks; we knew that, but on the book I see how each of the tracks were used :

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?
does anybody understand what tack 15 and 16 was used for?

Interesting that there are 4 tracks for the orchestra. One for the drums (pre mixed from multiple microphones of course).

Track 15-16 are not used during recording; they can be used for additional overdubs.

colonel snow

Tracks 15 16 could be stereo mics to capture the audience clapping i know during rehearsals they were present so then they could easily sinc multi tracks up to the film sound

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:29 am

OnTourCam wrote:Looking at the book part of the box, it seems like the soundtrack was recorded for MGM (listed as the client) not RCA. So MGM has the master tapes and gave copies to RCA?

It was recorded on 16 tracks; we knew that, but on the book I see how each of the tracks were used :

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?
does anybody understand what tack 15 and 16 was used for?

Interesting that there are 4 tracks for the orchestra. One for the drums (pre mixed from multiple microphones of course).

Track 15-16 are not used during recording; they can be used for additional overdubs.

colonel snow

Tracks 15 16 could be stereo mics to capture the audience clapping i know during rehearsals they were present so then they could easily sinc multi tracks up to the film sound

This image shows:

one track for audience
one track for film sync

aug10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am

i could never understand also using rehearsal footage of Elvis learning the songs then it comes to the concert and you don't actually see how they come across live in concert

stupid

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:06 am

OnTourCam wrote:i could never understand also using rehearsal footage of Elvis learning the songs then it comes to the concert and you don't actually see how they come across live in concert

stupid

That is a failing of the 2001 remake yes.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:40 am

I have listened to more of the shows now and particularily the 12/8/70 D/S.....so strange hearing Elvis b4 'iv'e lost you' say "how do you like it so far" and then about the cameras ..."don't throw the lights $ cameras" and then say the word 'Ablum" b4 'twenty days and twenty nights' those 3 phrases were EXACTLY the same as he said on stage for the filmed 1977 CBS special~! so only difference was Elvis's dramatic decline in health..... but he was working with the same old lines and phrases!~to my ears the show QUALITY on 12th August seemed to be the best~! so MANY excellent performances from Elvis that day :D

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:52 am

I finally ordered mine! :D

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Anybody know where I can find an image of the box set without the sticker for my iPod?

I'd rather use that instead of the other image with "Deluxe Edition" written on the bottom in yellow.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:36 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Was the audience walk that occurs during "Love Me Tender" during the 2000 Warner Bros Special Edition culled from the Aug. 12 Dinner Show? If so, was that audience walk portion (in which the band continues to play) edited out of this new Sony CD box set?

yes it happened during love me tender, and has been cut out. love me tender now runs 3 minutes instead of around 7 minutes

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:Anybody know where I can find an image of the box set without the sticker for my iPod?

I'd rather use that instead of the other image with "Deluxe Edition" written on the bottom in yellow.

Here...

TTWII Deluxe.jpg

It's a bit on the small side, I'm afraid...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Thank you sir :smt023

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 am

I am very much enjoying this set. Listening to "Walk A Mile From My Shoes" from the 8/12 DS MS is a treat especially with the new mix. The sound is vibrant and is for me a worthy upgrade to the previously issued release.
Last edited by Justin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:13 am

Justin wrote:I am very much enjoying this set. Listening to "Walk A Mile From My Shoes" from the 8/12 DS is a treat especially with the new mix. The sound is vibrant and is for me a worthy upgrade to the previously issued release.

You mean the august 12 MS ?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:08 am

OnTourCam wrote:i could never understand also using rehearsal footage of Elvis learning the songs then it comes to the concert and you don't actually see how they come across live in concert

stupid

How many examples do we see of this in the completed film?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:40 am

The 13th August 1970 Dinner show i listened to today was a concert from a 'tired' Elvis but still very good.Interestingly even in August 1970 he forgets the words to Sweet Caroline and has to start it again.People make out it was ONLY a 1977 Elvis who forgot words...but it seems he always did that to varying degrees.!~ :shock:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:15 am

I listened to that show last week. It's the first time I have ever heard it and I thought it was wonderful. I love the set list and although Elvis admits to being tired, I really couldn't detect it in his vocal performance.

That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:How many examples do we see of this in the completed film?

In the Special Edition there are three rehearsal sequences focused on the learning of Twenty Days and Twenty Nights, Words, and in particular Bridge Over Troubled Water. The payoff for these never comes in the narrative of the finished film.

They were never going to please everyone in 2001, and certainly there were timing parameters to work within, but at the very least Bridge ought to have been resolved.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:19 am

YDKM wrote:The 13th August 1970 Dinner show i listened to today was a concert from a 'tired' Elvis but still very good.Interestingly even in August 1970 he forgets the words to Sweet Caroline and has to start it again.People make out it was ONLY a 1977 Elvis who forgot words...but it seems he always did that to varying degrees.!~ :shock:

Um, are you seriously trying to argue that the performer Elvis was in 1970 is on the same level as the guy who hit the boards in 1977?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 am

what i'm saying is similar phrases, forgetting words and false starts were ALL Present in 1970... but clearly similar but WORSE by 1977.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:00 pm

YDKM wrote:what i'm saying is similar phrases, forgetting words and false starts were ALL Present in 1970... but clearly similar but WORSE by 1977.

The plain truth is there is no comparison between what Elvis was doing (or forgetting) on stage in 1970 with what we know from seven years later.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:06 pm

In 1977 it was due to drug intake. In 1970 it was due to lack of concentration at worst.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 am

listened today to the disc #8 the rehearsals disc.... MOST dissapointing of the whole set.. like only 49 minutes and i had heard it all b4.
the 6 proper shows all stand up as varying song lists(especially for Dennis Sanders to capture different songs) good performances and interesting shows. those i have enjoyed - even the disc 1 packed FULL of original Album + extras was good...it's just Disc #8 that pissed me off.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 am

YDKM wrote:...it's just Disc #8 that pissed me off.

It is this box set's version of disc three of the 2001's Live In Las Vegas box set. Lazy and thoughtless execution by the team compiling the box set.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:18 pm

midnightx wrote:
YDKM wrote:...it's just Disc #8 that pissed me off.

It is this box set's version of disc three of the 2001's Live In Las Vegas box set. Lazy and thoughtless execution by the team compiling the box set.

Unfortunately, that is the truth. They should have released either one or two complete rehearsals (perhaps August 4 and 7) on one CD and placed it before the live shows, or they should have given us one short rehearsal in its entirety and then added choice selections, something along the lines of what Matthew suggested in another post. As it stands now, we have a jam sessions CD that runs for less than fifty minutes, out of which only three songs made it to the actual set list ("I Was the One" and the medley "Little Sister" / "Get Back"). Some rehearsal, huh?

That said, it's a fantastic box set, despite its many flaws, and one that every deep fan should own. Heck, even a casual fan should own this. It's that good.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm

The "screwing around between rehearsals" disc only runs for 50 minutes?

That's odd, clearly there was plenty of opportunity to fulfill both the loose playfulness of Elvis and the hard work at rehearsing on the same disc.

Is it correct that each track just fades out on that disc? That no effort has been made to blend the between song audio together? And that these are merely previous masterings ported over from old product?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Matthew wrote:The "screwing around between rehearsals" disc only runs for 50 minutes?

That's odd, clearly there was plenty of opportunity to fulfill both the loose playfulness of Elvis and the hard work at rehearsing on the same disc.

Is it correct that each track just fades out on that disc? That no effort has been made to blend the between song audio together? And that these are merely previous masterings ported over from old product?

The running time is 48:59, so we could have had it all. As for the other questions, I need to check that, but I think so.