Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 pm

James27 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You have a lot to learn.

No one can say I didn't try. :smt023

Why do you always try to belittle a person ...

There was no "belittling," just a statement of facts.

All I did was point out that some of your lengthy comments about the blues were off-base, and when you responded in condescending fashion I simply made clear at least I made an effort to disabuse you of the misunderstanding. If you don't like conversing like a grown-up, don't join the conversation.

Thanks. :smt023

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:26 am

Fabbe wrote:Looking at the book part of the box, it seems like the soundtrack was recorded for MGM (listed as the client) not RCA. So MGM has the master tapes and gave copies to RCA?

It was recorded on 16 tracks; we knew that, but on the book I see how each of the tracks were used :

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?
does anybody understand what tack 15 and 16 was used for?

Interesting that there are 4 tracks for the orchestra. One for the drums (pre mixed from multiple microphones of course).

So, could please anyone tell them that they completely forgot No. 7 on the Box...!?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Joe_E. wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Looking at the book part of the box, it seems like the soundtrack was recorded for MGM (listed as the client) not RCA. So MGM has the master tapes and gave copies to RCA?

It was recorded on 16 tracks; we knew that, but on the book I see how each of the tracks were used :

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?

Interesting that there are 4 tracks for the orchestra. One for the drums (pre mixed from multiple microphones of course).

So, could please anyone tell them that they completely forgot No. 7 on the Box...!?

A great mistake :D

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Rockinrebel;

Off topic but I just LOVE your avatar :)

Matthew;

Thank you for posting the sound samples. I have only heard them via my computer so can't comment on them, but I have compared a few song on my hifi using my own cd's. I do not find the new mixes to be any better than what we already had - just different. I think the sound on the new box as a little more agressive and narrow. Just my opinion of course :)

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?

Might have used one track for film sync pulse. Might have used the other for audience applause.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Mike DK wrote:Rockinrebel;

Off topic but I just LOVE your avatar :)

Thank you - the full size version is here:

http://memoryrevival.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/rebel-designs-presents-elvis-is-back-the-1960-photos-part-2/

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Mary in the Morning

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Just some quick thoughts on the box set . . .

It's a really nice package, and just love that it's 12" like a vinyl box set. Only looked at the book a little bit, but I really like what I've seen so far.

I've played the 2nd half of Disc 1, and the entire concert on Disc 3. Those mono single masters are really cool to have. They have a lot of "punch" to them. I don't remember which specific song, but the mix was even different, because I heard instrumentation that I never heard before. The outtakes we have already, and of course they're great as well.

Now . . . as to the concert on Disc 3 (August 11 DS). If the other concert discs have the same mixing & mastering, then I am very pleased. Elvis is as clear as a bell, and sounds like he's singing in the living room. The band is mixed very well - you can really hear each individual band member so clearly. The show itself was enjoyable, and was very cool to FINALLY hear the masters of "I Just Can't Help Believin'" and "I've Lost You" in the context of the show from which they came from. It's actually weird to hear the master of "I Just Can't Help Believin'" without the loud applause at the end, so we now know exactly how much applause was overdubbed.

I will be enjoying listening to this box set for a long time to come. Job well done to Sony & Ernst.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 am

I agree Rich_TCB. The sound is great so far. I'm on disc 5 (August 12 DS) as we speak. It's a kick ass box set.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 am

The consistant great sound wins me over on this one its a keeper!~ :D

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 pm

I am very much moved by the new TTWII Box. It was delivered to me this morning and since then I listen, I watch... The sound quality is just excellent. Certainly, as I read here constantly, there are errors in the descriptions of sessions and concerts. But what did the forum if there were no these mistakes? -) I have one question. Why again I can't  see among the outtakes "It's now or never" from the concert?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:10 pm

prosp68 wrote:I am very much moved by the new TTWII Box. It was delivered to me this morning and since then I listen, I watch... The sound quality is just excellent. Certainly, as I read here constantly, there are errors in the descriptions of sessions and concerts. But what did the forum if there were no these mistakes? -) I have one question. Why again I can't  see among the outtakes "It's now or never" from the concert?

Elvis didnt perform it's now or never in concert during the TTWII season.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
prosp68 wrote:I am very much moved by the new TTWII Box. It was delivered to me this morning and since then I listen, I watch... The sound quality is just excellent. Certainly, as I read here constantly, there are errors in the descriptions of sessions and concerts. But what did the forum if there were no these mistakes? -) I have one question. Why again I can't  see among the outtakes "It's now or never" from the concert?

Elvis didnt perform it's now or never in concert during the TTWII season.

Sorry My Mistake! I thought about Are You Lonesome Tonight? of course

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

1. Drums
2. Brass
3. Reeds
4. Imperials
5. Sweets
6. ELVIS
7. Charlie
8. Burton
9. Wilkinson
10. Bass
11. Piano
12. Organ
13. HI Strings
14. Low strings
15. ?
16. ?

Track 15-16 are not used during recording; they can be used for additional overdubs.

colonel snow

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Can anyone tell me if the 'dodgy' fade-in on "I Just Can't Help Believin'" has always been there (i.e. on the original vinyl and single). It's not on the 1983 Legend set, it's not on the 1993 edition, it's not on the 70's box, it's not on the FTD edition, it only seems to be on the 2000 3CD edition and the new Legacy editions. I've not listened to my vinyl in an absolute age and I can't remember now...

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 am

Are all the concerts remixed?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:58 pm

elvisjock wrote:Are all the concerts remixed?

Yes, from scratch.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Is there any bit of previously unreleased stuff on the set..no matter hwat..?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Is there any bit of previously unreleased stuff on the set..no matter hwat..?

Well atleast we now have polk salad annie complete on the aug.12 MS show!.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Is there any bit of previously unreleased stuff on the set..no matter hwat..?

not new, though..

Is the show complete now..btw..?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

not new, though..

Is the show complete now..btw..?

The audience walk is not included.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:25 pm

thank you..

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:27 pm

When In Rome wrote:Can anyone tell me if the 'dodgy' fade-in on "I Just Can't Help Believin'" has always been there (i.e. on the original vinyl and single). It's not on the 1983 Legend set, it's not on the 1993 edition, it's not on the 70's box, it's not on the FTD edition, it only seems to be on the 2000 3CD edition and the new Legacy editions. I've not listened to my vinyl in an absolute age and I can't remember now...

I commented on this issue as well a week ago in this thread....or one of the others releated to TTWII.
Poor fade-in indeed....as well as the other mistakes on original album tracks on this release.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Ciscoking wrote:thank you..

The show however does run for about 5 minutes longer then the 2000 release.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 am

Was the audience walk that occurs during "Love Me Tender" during the 2000 Warner Bros Special Edition culled from the Aug. 12 Dinner Show? If so, was that audience walk portion (in which the band continues to play) edited out of this new Sony CD box set?