More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Post by TINML »

Johnny2523 wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Anyone know how this has done for Sony?
...that seems to be a hush hush question right now, but I guarantee you it has not outsold THE KING OF ROCK `N` ROLL THE COMPLETE 50`s MASTERS :wink:
I guess after nearly 2 months, we can ask again. how has this set done for the past few months? :D
I can't imagine it's moved more than a few thousand sets......at best!

Anyone know how the rerelease of the movie did, box office wise?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

TINML wrote:I can't imagine it's moved more than a few thousand sets......at best!
true, and the RIGHT people are happy with that in 2014!
TINML wrote:Anyone know how the rerelease of the movie did, box office wise?
poorly, and we all know why!!

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Just got the box today! It's fabulous to have the shows in such amazing quality and in a very nice package. Not sure about the back cover being a wrap around piece of paper - that's a bad move. But other than that, very well put together.

It's a shame they used the same edits of "Don't" etc on the rehearsal disc and not the full versions in stereo.

The live shows sound incredible. I'll be listening for those little edits.

I notice that the "audience walk" on 12/8/70 M/S is listed as "introductions" and noted as being originally released on the 3CD set. i skipped to this and found that it actually is a band introduction followed by Elvis asking what key "Heartbreak Hotel" is in! Where is this all edited in from, as I believe there were no intro's at this show?? Is it repeated elsewhere on the set in it's true setting?

All that aside - this collection has been LONG awaited and I'm sure it won't disappoint me!

If only Elvis On Tour would get the same treatment!!

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Just got the box today! It's fabulous to have the shows in such amazing quality and in a very nice package. Not sure about the back cover being a wrap around piece of paper - that's a bad move. But other than that, very well put together.

It's a shame they used the same edits of "Don't" etc on the rehearsal disc and not the full versions in stereo.

The live shows sound incredible. I'll be listening for those little edits.

I notice that the "audience walk" on 12/8/70 M/S is listed as "introductions" and noted as being originally released on the 3CD set. i skipped to this and found that it actually is a band introduction followed by Elvis asking what key "Heartbreak Hotel" is in! Where is this all edited in from, as I believe there were no intro's at this show?? Is it repeated elsewhere on the set in it's true setting?

All that aside - this collection has been LONG awaited and I'm sure it won't disappoint me!

If only Elvis On Tour would get the same treatment!!
there were introductions at the show, but were unreleased officially up until now, and left out of the 3CD Set. The audience walk is left out.
Is it me or is elvis asking ''What key is heartbreak hotel in'' Twice? At the end of the introductions track, and at the beginning of the heartbreak hotel track?

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Johnny2523 wrote:

There were introductions at the show, but were unreleased officially up until now, and left out of the 3CD Set. The audience walk is left out.
Is it me or is elvis asking ''What key is heartbreak hotel in'' Twice? At the end of the introductions track, and at the beginning of the heartbreak hotel track?
I haven't checked with the version of the show on theTTWII Complete Works box set, I'd forgotten about the intro's. But where were they in the show, as surely the work followed Polk Salad and preceded "Heartbreak Hotel"?

Image Image

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

There were introductions at the show, but were unreleased officially up until now, and left out of the 3CD Set. The audience walk is left out.
I haven't checked with the version of the show on theTTWII Complete Works box set, I'd forgotten about the intro's. But where were they in the show, as surely the work followed Polk Salad and preceded "Heartbreak Hotel"?
the placement is right.

it's like this on the complete works disc & the Gravelroad ''Sittin On Top of The World''

Polk Salad Annie
Audience Walk
Introductions
Heartbreak Hotel

Since they removed the audience walk on the official release its now
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions
Heartbreak Hotel

the cut was made right after elvis said ''some walking around to get my breath back is what im doing''.. Then it cuts straight into ''I like to introduce the members of my group''..

on the 3CD its edited oddly ''We got the wonder of you charged over there? allright we'll get it.. hey'' and elvis goes straight into heartbreak hotel, sounds odd!.
and they cut out the ''Gimmie an A chord man, hmmm some walking around to get my breath back is what im doing'' on the 3CD and the introductions, and audience walk.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Running time for the august 12 MS on the 3 disc set is 01:12:42
Running time for the august 12 MS on the 2014 Boxset is 01:17:26
So we get atleast 5 minutes more on this new boxset.

Thanks Johnny. I can live without the walk about on CD. I remember another edit in the dialogue before Love Me Tender on the 3 CD. I guess that's rectified here.

Image Image

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Thanks Johnny. I can live without the walk about on CD. I remember another edit in the dialogue before Love Me Tender on the 3 CD. I guess that's rectified here.
Yes the dialogue is there :)
on another note, on the August 12 DS
Love me tender has been edited, and that's the performance where elvis goes out into the public. Also the microphone problems (and joking about it) has been edited. Now it sounds like the sweet inspirations are laughing about nothing. and elvis jokes sound out of place because of the editing

Don't cry daddy from the 13th has been edited to (I still can't find elvis goin ''Sing It Charlie'' anywhere).

You've Lost that Loving Feelin' on the august 11 DS has been edited to elvis makes a slip up in the lyrics during the second verse. this has been fixed.

And charlie is absent on all the shows, I just can't help believin doesnt feature a harmony vocal (only on disc 1 on the original album), neither does don't cry daddy and other songs. the only sign of life we get from charlie is when he laughs . And i think thats about it for edits/fixes

Thanks again!

WOW! No Charlie?? I guess that's why "Sing it Charlie" was removed?

Why would they remove Charlie? His harmonies on "Don't Cry Daddy" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'" are essential!

Image Image

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Thanks again!

WOW! No Charlie?? I guess that's why "Sing it Charlie" was removed?

Why would they remove Charlie? His harmonies on "Don't Cry Daddy" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'" are essential!
That's what i thought to. Just listen to it yourself and you'll see what i mean, charlie is gone.

WMarkJ
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by WMarkJ »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Thanks Johnny. I can live without the walk about on CD. I remember another edit in the dialogue before Love Me Tender on the 3 CD. I guess that's rectified here.
Love me tender has been edited, and that's the performance where elvis goes out into the public. Also the microphone problems (and joking about it) has been edited. Now it sounds like the sweet inspirations are laughing about nothing. and elvis jokes sound out of place because of the editing

Don't cry daddy from the 13th has been edited to (I still can't find elvis goin ''Sing It Charlie'' anywhere).

You've Lost that Loving Feelin' on the august 11 DS has been edited to elvis makes a slip up in the lyrics during the second verse. this has been fixed.

And charlie is absent on all the shows, I just can't help believin doesnt feature a harmony vocal (only on disc 1 on the original album), neither does don't cry daddy and other songs. the only sign of life we get from charlie is when he laughs . And i think thats about it for edits/fixes
so glad I never bought this over priced botched release :)

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

WMarkJ wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

so glad I never bought this over priced botched release :)
I'm glad i did get it while it has a few faults, I'm still happy with the great sound quality, and to have all these shows together with a great book! in a vinyl shaped box! :D

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Johnny2523 wrote:''We got the wonder of you charged over there?
"We got The Wonder of You on uh, charts over there?"

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Johnny2523 wrote:
it's like this on the complete works disc & the Gravelroad ''Sittin On Top of The World''

Polk Salad Annie
Audience Walk
Introductions
Heartbreak Hotel
Just from memory..wasn`t the audience walk missing on the Complete Works box..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Ciscoking wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Polk Salad Annie
Audience Walk
Introductions
Heartbreak Hotel
Just from memory..wasn`t the audience walk missing on the Complete Works box..?
on the mono version maybe? I've got the stereo version, and the file says: Instrumental (Edited)
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Yep..I meant the mono version..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Steve1971
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Steve1971 »

My wife bought me this box set last Friday and I recieved it in the mail this past Tuesday. I wanted to listen to the CD's and watch the dvd's before I gave my review of it. Well I finshed this all up last night when I sat back and listened to all the cd's and watched the dvd's. Here's my view on the boxset. First let me start with the box the cds/dvds came in. I loved it and it was very well done. I liked the 80 page booklet and saw some pics from TTWII that I hadnt seen before and I liked how it was packed with insightful info I had never read before. Well done. I also liked how the dvd's and cd's were in their own slip cases but the only fear I have about the idea is scratching so I had to careful while removing them. The dvd's were nothing new because I had seen both before and I love both of them but I feel slightly short changed because I feel they should have included the Blu ray version of TTWII, but oh well thats not the reason I wanted this set. I wanted this set for the cd's....the concerts. I liked the inclusion of the original album and its alternate takes/original singles, I liked the Rehersals but it was the shows themselves I wanted to hear. This is the first time I have had the opportunity to own and listen to all 6 shows Elvis did. To my ears they sounded wonderful and while played on my 7.1 surround sound system it was like I was right there in the showroom. Some have questioned why Sony/BMG left out the portion of Elvis walking through the audience during the dinner and midnight shows on August 12th. Im glad they did personally because it would have added nothing to the experience of listening to these 2 shows for me. I thought the shows were mixed/remixed/digitally remastered very very well and its how they truly should sound, to me they never have sounded better and YES I have heard the bootleg versions. The weakest show from the set is the August 13th Dinner Show. Elvis sounded tired and not into the songs unlike the previous shows but performing 2 shows a night and having cameras in your face everytime I guess would get tireing. That all being said here's what I believe should have been included in this exellent boxset. First they should have included 2 or 3 dvd's with concert outtakes. We all know Turner has them so why not release them? If they havent seen the light of day officially by now its doubtful they ever will so what I will do is include the outtakes I have (Elvis I'll Be There Thats The Way It Should Be Vol's 1 and 2 and Elvis Both Sides Of The Show) to make up for that. I also have 2 cd's that have rehersal material from TTWII on them and one is called "Hanging Loose" which contains material of Elvis singing while rehersing from the main stage at the International. I cant remeber what the date was but I believe it was from August 8th or 9th 1970, someone can correct me if Im wrong. Wrapping it up I think Sony/BMG did an excellent job all around with this boxset. This is one of my favorite periods next to Aloha of Elvis career. He looked and sounded great and and unlike the later periods of his career the music and performances mattered to him. In my opinion this is how Elvis should have stayed but sadly that didnt happen. Heck anyone can hear and see that after TTWII Elvis had changed and whether it was good or bad thats up to the fan to decide. Should there have been more included in this boxset? Yes but I'll take it just for the concerts alone. Is it better then Elvis TTWII The Complete Works? I cant say because I dont own that set. But for me this is as good as it gets or will get when it comes to this period of Elvis career. I believe this is all we will get and will see. Now only if Sony/BMG and EPE can work with Turner to get EOT released like this that would be great. Will it happen? I doubt it. But right now I'm a happy Elvis fan with this set. :mrgreen:

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Steve1971 wrote:My wife bought me this box set last Friday and I recieved it in the mail this past Tuesday. I wanted to listen to the CD's and watch the dvd's before I gave my review of it. Well I finshed this all up last night when I sat back and listened to all the cd's and watched the dvd's. Here's my view on the boxset. First let me start with the box the cds/dvds came in. I loved it and it was very well done. I liked the 80 page booklet and saw some pics from TTWII that I hadnt seen before and I liked how it was packed with insightful info I had never read before. Well done. I also liked how the dvd's and cd's were in their own slip cases but the only fear I have about the idea is scratching so I had to careful while removing them. The dvd's were nothing new because I had seen both before and I love both of them but I feel slightly short changed because I feel they should have included the Blu ray version of TTWII, but oh well thats not the reason I wanted this set. I wanted this set for the cd's....the concerts. I liked the inclusion of the original album and its alternate takes/original singles, I liked the Rehersals but it was the shows themselves I wanted to hear. This is the first time I have had the opportunity to own and listen to all 6 shows Elvis did. To my ears they sounded wonderful and while played on my 7.1 surround sound system it was like I was right there in the showroom. Some have questioned why Sony/BMG left out the portion of Elvis walking through the audience during the dinner and midnight shows on August 12th. Im glad they did personally because it would have added nothing to the experience of listening to these 2 shows for me. I thought the shows were mixed/remixed/digitally remastered very very well and its how they truly should sound, to me they never have sounded better and YES I have heard the bootleg versions. The weakest show from the set is the August 13th Dinner Show. Elvis sounded tired and not into the songs unlike the previous shows but performing 2 shows a night and having cameras in your face everytime I guess would get tireing. That all being said here's what I believe should have been included in this exellent boxset. First they should have included 2 or 3 dvd's with concert outtakes. We all know Turner has them so why not release them? If they havent seen the light of day officially by now its doubtful they ever will so what I will do is include the outtakes I have (Elvis I'll Be There Thats The Way It Should Be Vol's 1 and 2 and Elvis Both Sides Of The Show) to make up for that. I also have 2 cd's that have rehersal material from TTWII on them and one is called "Hanging Loose" which contains material of Elvis singing while rehersing from the main stage at the International. I cant remeber what the date was but I believe it was from August 8th or 9th 1970, someone can correct me if Im wrong. Wrapping it up I think Sony/BMG did an excellent job all around with this boxset. This is one of my favorite periods next to Aloha of Elvis career. He looked and sounded great and and unlike the later periods of his career the music and performances mattered to him. In my opinion this is how Elvis should have stayed but sadly that didnt happen. Heck anyone can hear and see that after TTWII Elvis had changed and whether it was good or bad thats up to the fan to decide. Should there have been more included in this boxset? Yes but I'll take it just for the concerts alone. Is it better then Elvis TTWII The Complete Works? I cant say because I dont own that set. But for me this is as good as it gets or will get when it comes to this period of Elvis career. I believe this is all we will get and will see. Now only if Sony/BMG and EPE can work with Turner to get EOT released like this that would be great. Will it happen? I doubt it. But right now I'm a happy Elvis fan with this set. :mrgreen:
Nice review... thanks Steve!
I also enjoy the set very much and I'm glad it is a part of my collection! It would be nice, at some point, to see an official release of the complete rehearsals that were recorded.

srovenstine
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by srovenstine »

I like your review and it's funny because I just started listening to this set again after taking some time off. I think the sound too is amazing and love the mixes. As stated hopefully we get On Tour like this, one can only hope.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

Steve1971 wrote:My wife bought me this box set last Friday and I recieved it in the mail this past Tuesday. I wanted to listen to the CD's and watch the dvd's before I gave my review of it. Well I finshed this all up last night when I sat back and listened to all the cd's and watched the dvd's. Here's my view on the boxset. First let me start with the box the cds/dvds came in. I loved it and it was very well done. I liked the 80 page booklet and saw some pics from TTWII that I hadnt seen before and I liked how it was packed with insightful info I had never read before. Well done. I also liked how the dvd's and cd's were in their own slip cases but the only fear I have about the idea is scratching so I had to careful while removing them. The dvd's were nothing new because I had seen both before and I love both of them but I feel slightly short changed because I feel they should have included the Blu ray version of TTWII, but oh well thats not the reason I wanted this set. I wanted this set for the cd's....the concerts. I liked the inclusion of the original album and its alternate takes/original singles, I liked the Rehersals but it was the shows themselves I wanted to hear. This is the first time I have had the opportunity to own and listen to all 6 shows Elvis did. To my ears they sounded wonderful and while played on my 7.1 surround sound system it was like I was right there in the showroom. Some have questioned why Sony/BMG left out the portion of Elvis walking through the audience during the dinner and midnight shows on August 12th. Im glad they did personally because it would have added nothing to the experience of listening to these 2 shows for me. I thought the shows were mixed/remixed/digitally remastered very very well and its how they truly should sound, to me they never have sounded better and YES I have heard the bootleg versions. The weakest show from the set is the August 13th Dinner Show. Elvis sounded tired and not into the songs unlike the previous shows but performing 2 shows a night and having cameras in your face everytime I guess would get tireing. That all being said here's what I believe should have been included in this exellent boxset. First they should have included 2 or 3 dvd's with concert outtakes. We all know Turner has them so why not release them? If they havent seen the light of day officially by now its doubtful they ever will so what I will do is include the outtakes I have (Elvis I'll Be There Thats The Way It Should Be Vol's 1 and 2 and Elvis Both Sides Of The Show) to make up for that. I also have 2 cd's that have rehersal material from TTWII on them and one is called "Hanging Loose" which contains material of Elvis singing while rehersing from the main stage at the International. I cant remeber what the date was but I believe it was from August 8th or 9th 1970, someone can correct me if Im wrong. Wrapping it up I think Sony/BMG did an excellent job all around with this boxset. This is one of my favorite periods next to Aloha of Elvis career. He looked and sounded great and and unlike the later periods of his career the music and performances mattered to him. In my opinion this is how Elvis should have stayed but sadly that didnt happen. Heck anyone can hear and see that after TTWII Elvis had changed and whether it was good or bad thats up to the fan to decide. Should there have been more included in this boxset? Yes but I'll take it just for the concerts alone. Is it better then Elvis TTWII The Complete Works? I cant say because I dont own that set. But for me this is as good as it gets or will get when it comes to this period of Elvis career. I believe this is all we will get and will see. Now only if Sony/BMG and EPE can work with Turner to get EOT released like this that would be great. Will it happen? I doubt it. But right now I'm a happy Elvis fan with this set. :mrgreen:
Great post! I look forward to getting this set soon, hopefully for my 28th Birthday in June ::rocks

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."