Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Matthew wrote:Is it correct that each track just fades out on that disc? That no effort has been made to blend the between song audio together? And that these are merely previous masterings ported over from old product?

Yes, in the cases where the songs didn't originally follow each other... Yes.. and Yes.
I agree that so much more could have been made of the rehearsal CD... I was listening to this the other day. How great would it have been if Elvis had performed songs like Baby, Let's Play House, Money Honey and A Fool Such As I on stage in 1970... looking through the booklet I was amazed that MGM filmed (and recorded) nearly ALL of the rehearsals Elvis did in July and August... although some has been released, we'll probably never see the rest in an official capacity. :(
The other thing that could have been done for this set was to have the original masters remixed... for the 10 disc set, I mean.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:24 am

Am I correct to say that the 2nd of the 2 DVDs included with this new set, the 1970 Original Theatrical Version, has mono audio throughout, unlike the 2001 version, 1st of the 2 DVDs?

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 am

Mark, when I used the the 2001 and the latest DVD of the 1970 version in MKV it reports both are Mono.
However, I did find a stereo version in the previous region 1 release (sometime in the 90's) it is stereo.
This is the version that was dual sided with 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other side.
This is the only stereo DVD of the 1970 version that I have found.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:45 am

Scoobie wrote:Mark, when I used the the 2001 and the latest DVD of the 1970 version in MKV it reports both are Mono.
However, I did find a stereo version in the previous region 1 release (sometime in the 90's) it is stereo.
This is the version that was dual sided with 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other side.
This is the only stereo DVD of the 1970 version that I have found.

Cool. Wonder how I could track down a copy of that one?

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 pm

This is the one, it is quite old, had the same cover as the older VHS ones...
I have looked around the usual internet sites, I find no trace of this anywhere... Guess it is out of print...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
midnightx wrote:It is this box set's version of disc three of the 2001's Live In Las Vegas box set. Lazy and thoughtless execution by the team compiling the box set.


Unfortunately, that is the truth.

That said, it's a fantastic box set, despite its many flaws, and one that every deep fan should own. Heck, even a casual fan should own this. It's that good.


??????? So which is it? 'Lazy and thoughtless' which you agreed with, or ' a fantastic box set, despite its many flaws, and one that every deep fan should own. Heck, even a casual fan should own this. It's that good'

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Scoobie wrote: I did find a stereo version in the previous region 1 release (sometime in the 90's) it is stereo.
This is the version that was dual sided with 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other side.
This is the only stereo DVD of the 1970 version that I have found.


I have this first issue dvd released in 1998.
Unfortunately it has mono sound,the info on cover is wrong.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

I've seen the footage on the DVD's. Disc 1 is the special edition from 2001 and has in my opinion nothing new to offer. Disc 2 is the 1970 version and I think that the sound could have been better than it is presented now. What a shame. And the outtakes are like they are from bootleg material. I hope the blu ray is much better in quality! anyone knows if there's new material on it?

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:39 pm

blackdiamond wrote:I've seen the footage on the DVD's. Disc 1 is the special edition from 2001 and has in my opinion nothing new to offer. Disc 2 is the 1970 version and I think that the sound could have been better than it is presented now. What a shame. And the outtakes are like they are from bootleg material. I hope the blu ray is much better in quality! anyone knows if there's new material on it?


Same bonus content in almost the same quality, hardly any improvement.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
blackdiamond wrote:I've seen the footage on the DVD's. Disc 1 is the special edition from 2001 and has in my opinion nothing new to offer. Disc 2 is the 1970 version and I think that the sound could have been better than it is presented now. What a shame. And the outtakes are like they are from bootleg material. I hope the blu ray is much better in quality! anyone knows if there's new material on it?


Same bonus content in almost the same quality, hardly any improvement.


So i'll stick with the original 2001 version of the dvd then. Thank God I didn't toss my bootlegs! they concerts from Audionics are perfect sound. The sony versions are hardly even better. hehe

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:42 pm

I saw the set down to £59 on Amazon yesterday ..............

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I saw the set down to £59 on Amazon yesterday ..............

Are you sure you're not thinking of the mp3 download version?

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Matthew wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:I saw the set down to £59 on Amazon yesterday ..............

Are you sure you're not thinking of the mp3 download version?

Indeed, that is mp3 only price.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Man thought it was cheap !

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Is anyone else annoyed by the new packaging style that seems to have been incorporated over the past few years where the set lists are on a separate sheet of paper?? A fake back cover so to speak? It's so annoying. The DVD storage card is shoddy too, I mean for the price!!

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

It's all about recycle paper nowadays buddy! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Then why put extra paper in!!!! Songs should be listed on the box not extra paper

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

KingElvis wrote:
Scoobie wrote: I did find a stereo version in the previous region 1 release (sometime in the 90's) it is stereo.
This is the version that was dual sided with 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other side.
This is the only stereo DVD of the 1970 version that I have found.


I have this first issue dvd released in 1998.
Unfortunately it has mono sound,the info on cover is wrong.


When I analized mine using make MKV is says the soundtrack is stereo! when playing the resulting .mkv there are 3 choices, left track mono, right track mono, and stereo. Sounds like stereo to me as well...

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 pm

If you have nine hours to kill, you could either read my review of That's The Way It Is: Deluxe Edition or just listen to the set. I suggest the latter.

Troy

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Scoobie wrote:
KingElvis wrote:
Scoobie wrote: I did find a stereo version in the previous region 1 release (sometime in the 90's) it is stereo.
This is the version that was dual sided with 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other side.
This is the only stereo DVD of the 1970 version that I have found.


I have this first issue dvd released in 1998.
Unfortunately it has mono sound,the info on cover is wrong.


When I analized mine using make MKV is says the soundtrack is stereo! when playing the resulting .mkv there are 3 choices, left track mono, right track mono, and stereo. Sounds like stereo to me as well...


It doesnt have stereo sound,just listen to the old movie vs SE edition.....the difference is like day&night.
They made mistakes when producing the dvd,both artwork and the technical idtag info on the disc itself.
Dont just listen with the speakers on the tv but use home cinema setup or use headphones and you will
hear how bad the sound on original movie is.

"One night with you" laserdisc had stereo on cover despite the sitdown segments was never recorded in stereo.......

Image

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 pm

nod3million wrote:Is anyone else annoyed by the new packaging style that seems to have been incorporated over the past few years where the set lists are on a separate sheet of paper?? A fake back cover so to speak? It's so annoying. The DVD storage card is shoddy too, I mean for the price!!

Couldn't agree more.

A cost cutting measure, no more, no less.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm

nod3million wrote:Is anyone else annoyed by the new packaging style that seems to have been incorporated over the past few years where the set lists are on a separate sheet of paper?? A fake back cover so to speak? It's so annoying. The DVD storage card is shoddy too, I mean for the price!!


This has been a big issue with me. I really don't like packaging that has you sliding the discs in and out of cardboard slots . Eventually the discs will get scratches that may affect play. The deluxe ETTWII is an archival release, most of us will want to keep as long as we live. Same goes for Young Man With The Big Beat, The Complete Masters , Elvis At Stax, etc. I appreciate that a lot of work has been done to give us these great releases , but the packaging is lacking .Some of my discs came with little specks of cardboard on them .Disc 6 skipped until I cleaned the specks off. I have to admit that the slots that hold TTWII are better than the ones used to hold the Complete Masters box set which are tight . Still in my opinion , the best type of packaging for this type of release is the type used for the 50's, 60's, and 70's box sets.

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:16 pm

I miss the jewel cases...

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 pm

I to prefer jewel cases.

what gantonicel@aol.com says about little specks on the disc.. i didn't had that problem my discs were clean.
As i said before, best thing to do to not hurt your disc is back them up on your computer or external harddrive. That way they stay mint :D

Re: That's The Way It Is 8 CD (SONY) Box Set : CONFIRMED

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 pm

This is sadly a trade-off that the "deluxe presentation" market has created. Designers and producers forget that the most important aspect of an audio product is… the audio, or more to the point, protecting the medium the audio is contained on.

Jewell cases aren't exactly "sexy" to design around and make something look deluxe and "high-end". The card-slot method is attractive to look at and work with, but is probably the worst for actually protecting the discs. At least with digipaks, or the book style box-sets the CDs still sit on a proper plastic base.

Ideal packaging would contain a method where the disc survive is not in contact with anything, and that also no glue is present. At the end of the day, jewell cases were well designed to protect the product they hold.