Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis and Monty Python

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:Fawlty towers IS THE BEST comedy show of ALL time!!!!

Simples

My vote might go to:

The Phil Silvers Show
The Honeymooners
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'd have to say,

Only Fools And Horses.
Frasier.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Cheers.

:D

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Seinfeld
Curb
Married With Children
Louie (Louis CK)

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm

But the again, There's Alan Partridge and Father Ted...... can't forget those two.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Night Court is my favourite, then Married With Children and The Big Bang Theory. I loved Seinfeld, too, but haven't returned to it in years. I also liked Sledge Hammer and although I like Fawlty Towers, I've never cared for Monty Python.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Is there anyone here who hasn't seen the Sledge Hammer episode with Sledge trying to solve the case of the Elvis impersonator murderer. Classically hilarious. Chalk mark drawings of the murdered victims in classic Elvis poses and other sight gags were terrific.

Thu May 01, 2014 1:13 am

Dan_T wrote:But the again, There's Alan Partridge and Father Ted...... can't forget those two.

Good ones Dan. I would also add:

Dad's Army (they don't like it up em')

The Thick Of It (and Veep)

Whatever happened to the Likely Lads

Brass

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:34 am

mike edwards66 wrote:most of us, find them about as funny, as a fire in an orphanage.

Tired old Pythons, fluff tired old lines:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... LETTS.html

It's boring when one is always right.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:most of us, find them about as funny, as a fire in an orphanage.

Tired old Pythons, fluff tired old lines:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... LETTS.html

It's boring when one is always right.

Not as boring as you.......

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Elvis loved Monty Python, "the Beatles of Comedy."

Good enough for me. :smt023

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah their comedy is definately not for everyone. Same goes for Cheech and Chong. Does not hold up well as time goes on.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 pm

DEH wrote:Yeah their comedy is definately not for everyone. Same goes for Cheech and Chong. Does not hold up well as time goes on.

Thanks.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis loved Monty Python, "the Beatles of Comedy."

Good enough for me. :smt023

I feel the same way, Doc. A long time ago, I actually went out and bought the 14-DVD set, "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and LOVED IT!!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:05 pm

If we're talking best TV comedies Andy Griffith Show must be mentioned, surely Hop-A-Long Presley enjoyed his fellow sketch performer's immortalization of classic rural South characters.

That and All in the Family top my list of sitcoms during Elvis' lifetime. Anyone know if E watched All in the Family? One might wonder if the show's leanings were too liberal for Elvis by that time, but my dad was one of many conservative skewing people who loved it, it was always on in my house in the 70's, even if I didn't understand much of it until adulthood.

Someone also mentioned Reiner's Spinal Tap. Too bad Elvis couldn't have seen it. Him being a Python fan (clearly the cast's greatest influence,) and not a great lover of metal or glam type theatrics, I suspect Elvis would have found it gut bustingly hysterical. Plus, the insider humor is universal to any musician, especially any who have ever toured in any fashion. (Sting told Rob Reiner he had lived out those scenarios so many times he didn't know if they should make him laugh, or cry.) I had a do wop / a cappella group, and was later in a lounge pop/rock band, that both referenced it incessantly during various group escapades. I've yet to meet a fellow member of any pop/rock group who didn't consider it the "Holy Grail," wordplay intended, of musician humor.
Last edited by Brian In Atlanta on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Regarding Life of Brian, certainly as an established Python fanatic, and a deep thinker on religious history who, though faithful, was not dogmatic about his faith, nor exclusive of other faith traditions, there is no doubt in my mind Elvis would have flipped over Brian. And as a legend who had legitimate parallels with Jesus himself, even virtually worshipped by some as a savior or prophet, (with the occasional messiah delusion himself,) i think Elvis would have found it to be riotously cathartic satire.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:50 am

The irony of course, is, the Beatles film 'A Hard Day's Night' is much funnier than anything ever done by Python. Watching it now, 40 years after it was released, it still positively sparkles. This is due, in no small part, to it's accurate depiction of the british humour.

Python, on the other hand, was rarely funny, and is now hoplessly dated.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:49 am

mike edwards, humor is highly objective, but I'm I'm afraid you have disqualified yourself as an authority on British humor history if you think Python is not a pinnacle milestone of such, not a principal ambassador of such to the world, or is generally perceived by critics or comedy fans as badly dated. They are a comedy institution, arguably the most influential TV sketch comedy group of all time - undeniably so if you are talking purveyors of post modern absurdism (as opposed to SNL which has dealt more in parody, despite being profoundly shaped by Python's aesthetic.) They are legends to the man, with a rabid cult following, and works that are universally considered timeless classics.

But perhaps I am pointlessly taking the bait of overt troll-ism.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:53 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

The irony of course, is, the Beatles film 'A Hard Day's Night' is much funnier than anything ever done by Python. Watching it now, 40 years after it was released, it still positively sparkles. This is due, in no small part, to it's accurate depiction of the british humour.

Python, on the other hand, was rarely funny, and is now hoplessly dated.

Thanks. Are you done yet?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:mike edwards,........but I'm I'm afraid you have disqualified yourself

Thanks.

Brian In Atlanta wrote:But perhaps I am pointlessly taking the bait of overt troll-ism.

Bit Rude. Thanks.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks.

Thanks yourself. You give out more 'Thanks' than a stuttering washroom attendant.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Are you done yet?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83463 :wink:

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks.

Thanks yourself. You give out more 'Thanks' than a stuttering washroom attendant.

Bit Rude. Thanks.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:mike edwards,........but I'm I'm afraid you have disqualified yourself

Thanks.

Brian In Atlanta wrote:But perhaps I am pointlessly taking the bait of overt troll-ism.

Bit Rude. Thanks.

I think we're all guilty of being a bit rude from time to time. But I honestly thought you might be stating something you knew not to be true. Not to be insulting, but Monty Python's place as legends of British comedy is generally speaking, universally acknowledged, even by those who don't care for their humor.

You will scarcely hear an comic actor, sketch comic, or writer speak anything but undying love for Python, and speak of their profound and continuing influence. The show continues to move DVD's and warrant syndication airings. Their comedy albums remain in print including multiple box sets and greatest hits collections. Their movies remain home video sellers, with multiple special editions, and Holy Grail is still a midnight movie theater evergreen. This information is generally very well known. BBC made a TV movie about the controversy surrounding Life of Brian in which every member was portrayed by young actors. Few if any originators of art badly dated beyond relevance are protrayed in TV movies 40 years after the fact. No one would bother, becuase no one would watch.

To each his own, of course. If they are dated for you, they are dated for you. Just not for the rest of the comedy world. There are people who don't like the Beatles (which included me many years ago,) and that is not a hyperbolic comparison given Python's stature.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Since the topic now encompasses the Pythons' recent London show and the Beatles, I should point out that (a) the recent Python shows have gotten mostly positive reviews and (b) in one of his last interviews, John Lennon said he'd rather have been in Monty Python than the Beatles.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Speaking of the London shows, for those interested catching their act live (mostly) in le cinema:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/monty ... ive-mostly

I know what Atlanta theater I'll be at this Sunday at 3pm Eastern Time.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Brian In Atlanta wrote:Speaking of the London shows, for those interested catching their act live (mostly) in le cinema:

Sounds like death by a thousand yawns to me.

Hope you enjoy it. :wink:

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:Speaking of the London shows, for those interested catching their act live (mostly) in le cinema:

Sounds like death by a thousand yawns to me.

Hope you enjoy it. :wink:

Well at least you'll save the $18 per ticket. Pricey for something on a movie screen but I expect will be worth my money.