Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis and Monty Python

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 am

oh thanks Doc..... well researched :D

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 am

YDKM wrote:oh thanks Doc..... well researched :D

You are very welcome. I hope Elvis watched "Fawlty Towers," and enjoyed it. It was not the best time for him.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 am

The Pittsburgh Press had a fawlty TV critic!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 am

Fawtly towers was a really funny show,
sadley it only lasted about 12 episodes i believe :(

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 am

Revelator wrote:The Pittsburgh Press had a fawlty TV critic!

Indeed. I noticed that as well.

Johnny2523 wrote:Fawtly towers was a really funny show,

There's nothing sad about the two, six-episode seasons of "Fawlty Towers," made in 1975 and 1979.

Cleese and company shut it down after the 12th episode by choice.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 am

Fawlty Towers best TV show ever? It has my votes, with apologies to Homer and crew

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

There's nothing sad about the two, six-episode seasons of "Fawlty Towers," made in 1975 and 1979.

It's sad that there are only 12 episodes of this great series.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Presley's sense of humour, and love of irony and satire, was far more sophisticated than most will ever know.

So true.
It reminds me of when Elvis answered "what is your favourite group after The Beatles" with "Boston Pops".
Im sure it was too subtle for some of the guys....

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

rickeap wrote:Fawlty Towers best TV show ever?

Fawlty Towers, yes, now that was, and still is funny.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Mr Songman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Presley's sense of humour, and love of irony and satire, was far more sophisticated than most will ever know.

So true.
It reminds me of when Elvis answered "what is your favourite group after The Beatles" with "Boston Pops".

And that was with Peter Noone, lead singer of Herman's Hermits, standing right next to him.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I find that Peter Noone interview to be a very um, interesting listen. Elvis is in a weird place and everyone's uncomfortable.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for the Pittsburgh review of Fawlty Towers Doc. That reviewer obviously didn't get it but may have come around. I didn't quite get it on my first episode but I tuned in to the second episode and suddenly, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

Other than reinforcing our notion that this humor reveals that Elvis was smart and not a bumpkin, it's gratifying to know that all my friends on this board have good taste and great senses of humor.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Thats right!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's sad that there are only 12 episodes of this great series.

thats exactly what i meant

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Mister Mike wrote:It's sad that there are only 12 episodes of this great series.

Well, according to John Cleese, it would have been far sadder to make a third season, and have the quality drop.

That's why you have just two seasons, and twelve episodes.

If only Elvis had exercised such control in the 1970s. ;-)

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Here is a vinyl connection with Elvis and Python ...Current Audio Magazine vol 1 album 1972.
The A side track is the "Spam" song by Python and the B side track Elvis MSG press conference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 pm

Mr Songman wrote:Presley's sense of humour, and love of irony and satire, was far more sophisticated than most will ever know.

So true.

This is precisely why I am in the camp that insists he says "PGA" rather than "PTA" in Burbank. He is sarcastically noting that just about everybody was against him.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 pm

elvisjock wrote:
Mr Songman wrote:Presley's sense of humour, and love of irony and satire, was far more sophisticated than most will ever know.

So true.

This is precisely why I am in the camp that insists he says "PGA" rather than "PTA" in Burbank. He is sarcastically noting that just about everybody was against him.

Thats another classic Elvisjock!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:It's sad that there are only 12 episodes of this great series.

Well, according to John Cleese, it would have been far sadder to make a third season, and have the quality drop.

OK, let's try it this way. It's sad that there weren't more episodes filmed during this period of high quality.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 am

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, according to John Cleese, it would have been far sadder to make a third season, and have the quality drop.

OK, let's try it this way. It's sad that there weren't more episodes filmed during this period of high quality.

You miss the point.

Cleese and then-wife Connie Booth felt that the six episodes in 1975 and the six in 1979 that they wrote could not be bettered. That is why they only made six each time. They felt the quality could not have been maintained if they had made any more in either case.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, according to John Cleese, it would have been far sadder to make a third season, and have the quality drop.

You miss the point.

Cleese and then-wife Connie Booth felt that the six episodes in 1975 and the six in 1979 that they wrote could not be bettered. That is why they only made six each time. They felt the quality could not have been maintained if they had made any more in either case.

And in light of the high quality of the show, it's sad that there weren't more for us to enjoy (man, I'm getting dizzy going around in circles).

No point missed. I understand and respect Cleese's decision to terminate while on top. We're simply expressing some sadness of having a selfish desire to get more "good stuff" remain unfulfilled (for whatever reason). That's all.
Last edited by Mister Mike on Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Fawlty towers IS THE BEST comedy show of ALL time!!!!

Simples

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 pm

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:Fawlty towers IS THE BEST comedy show of ALL time!!!!

Simples

My vote might go to:

The Phil Silvers Show
The Honeymooners
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:10 pm

I'd throw All In The Family into the mix.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Married With Children which was also one of the best!
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.