Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: TTWII Blu Ray

Wed May 21, 2014 2:36 am

Wouldn't the following information from Warner Bros mean that BOTH versions of the movie will be available in 1080p on the Blu-ray.......

"The Blu-ray edition of Elvis: That's the Way It Is is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround, and includes both the original theatrical cut and the retooled 2001 Special Edition version of the film."

Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 am

JerryNodak wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I fully expect the original movie to be in SD. I'm okay with that. Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,
I will have no interest in buying this product. I already have the 2007 release.

Don't you have any interest in seeing the SE on Blu-ray in 1080p HD? I for one am very excited about it!

Absolutely none. I greatly dislike the SE.

Jerry, why do you dislike it so much? Do you really prefer the original with all the weird fan interviews, talking heads, wedding, and British Fan Club impersonations over the SE which focuses more on Elvis himself??

Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 am

Elvislover813 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I fully expect the original movie to be in SD. I'm okay with that. Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,
I will have no interest in buying this product. I already have the 2007 release.

Don't you have any interest in seeing the SE on Blu-ray in 1080p HD? I for one am very excited about it!

Jerry, why do you dislike it so much? Do you really prefer the original with all the weird fan interviews, talking heads, wedding, and British Fan Club impersonations over the SE which focuses more on Elvis himself??

The great thing about the Real TTWII is, It gives a great view of how fans looked up to their hero, and even the people who arent fans, but still know him. and the performances that where included where better selected. TTWII:SE is okay, but its a concert film.. where as the original is a Documentary

Wed May 21, 2014 4:00 am

Elvislover813 wrote:The great thing about the Real TTWII is, It gives a great view of how fans looked up to their hero, and even the people who arent fans, but still know him.

...some parts yes, but other parts absolutely not! To this day I cringe at some of those interviews and talking heads...much like Elvis` worst film scenes if ya know what I mean, when I show someone the original film I have to pass through that crap

Wed May 21, 2014 4:04 am

...and don`t get me started with that minister and those god-awful impersonations :facep:

Wed May 21, 2014 4:41 am

And that CAT!!!!!!!!!

Burning Love

Wed May 21, 2014 5:59 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:

The great thing about the Real TTWII is, It gives a great view of how fans looked up to their hero, and even the people who arent fans, but still know him. and the performances that where included where better selected. TTWII:SE is okay, but its a concert film.. where as the original is a Documentary

Okay, well I agree with you about some of the song selections, but come on, don't you think that most of those interviews and impersonations were horribly embarrassing and cringeworthy? It almost seems like they went out of their way to find the strangest group of people imaginable to represent as Elvis fans. A couple of them were fine, including the one guy at the pool who said that Elvis was an "original" but most of the others were awful. I did think the older lady and her mother were quite fun though.
Also, I would still consider the SE to be a documentary rather than just a concert film because they showed Elvis rehearsing in both Culver City and in Vegas, plus him joking around with his entourage. It also shows him actually saying the line "that's the way it is" which I don't believe was in the original. Haven't watched the original in a while though so I could be wrong about that.

Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 am

Not trying to speak for Jerry but he and I have been kindred spirits on this topic on other threads. My big problem with SE is that it does not replicate Elvis' real show. It doesn't flow like Elvis' show. It is a bunch of videos of fast Elvis performances strung together that does not resemble his vision for his show that summer. Elvis worked hard on Just Can't Help Believing and made Bridge the piece de resistance of this season's show, and the SE didn't even include them. It is an unconscionable decision.

In this DVD/BlueRay era, I will happily watch the original 1970 edition and hit the skip button on the interviews I can do without. That film picked the best performances and better presented all of Elvis' abilities.

Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Burning Love wrote:And that CAT!!!!!!!!!

Burning Love

...yes that cat too, OMG drives me batty :roll:

Wed May 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Here's a visual preview of the actual product, along with VLV 50th anniversary Blu Ray.....those booklets look enticing.

Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

The fans in the original movie are a bit over the top and not interesting. But both movies have some great performances that aren't in the other. So both movies are essential. Let's hope both get the upgrade. They both deserve to be in Blu-ray and DTS sound.

Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's a visual preview of the actual product, along with VLV 50th anniversary Blu Ray.....those booklets look enticing.

Warner Bros. do a great job with their DigiBooks. They're not usually very in-depth with regards to the text, but are factual and colourful, with great photos and occasional facsimiles of historical documents or articles.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:09 am

Graceland's podcast this week features WB's TTWII Blu-ray. The main new info is that the master tape was located for the outtakes/bonus footage, so quality should be tons better than the 2007 DVD (cue the conspiracy theorists). Unless I missed it, no mention of the Sony 10-disc set - despite what Graceland's description of the podcast indicates.

http://www.graceland.com/connect/podcast.aspx

It'll be nice to have watchable versions of the bonus footage. Really looking forward to this release!

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:18 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:Graceland's podcast this week features WB's TTWII Blu-ray. The main new info is that the master tape was located for the outtakes/bonus footage, so quality should be tons better than the 2007 DVD (cue the conspiracy theorists). Unless I missed it, no mention of the Sony 10-disc set - despite what Graceland's description of the podcast indicates.

It'll be nice to have watchable versions of the bonus footage. Really looking forward to this release!

I may have missed this but does the new Blu-ray contain both the 1970 and SE versions of TTWII?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:21 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:Graceland's podcast this week features WB's TTWII Blu-ray. The main new info is that the master tape was located for the outtakes/bonus footage, so quality should be tons better than the 2007 DVD (cue the conspiracy theorists). Unless I missed it, no mention of the Sony 10-disc set - despite what Graceland's description of the podcast indicates.

I may have missed this but does the new Blu-ray contain both the 1970 and SE versions of TTWII?

It does contain both versions, but unfortunately, there has been no indication that the 1970 version has been similarly restored (though I may have missed that myself).

EDIT: I should clarify that press release indicates it contains both versions on the Blu. Press releases have been wrong in the past. Unfortunately, we never know for sure until the products come out.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:48 am

It's the special edition for me and I'm delighted it's in Blu ray. That said, the original version has songs that were not used in the special edition - "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Sweet Caroline," "I've Lost You," etc. that I'd love to have in Blu ray. As for the cat and fans, who I swear were selected to make Elvis' fans seem as bizarre as possible, if I never see them again I will go to my grave happy!

MT

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 am

L Ray wrote:The fans in the original movie are a bit over the top and not interesting. But both movies have some great performances that aren't in the other. So both movies are essential. Let's hope both get the upgrade. They both deserve to be in Blu-ray and DTS sound.

I like the fan comments in the original movie - their just ordinary folk. The same as us.

For me both versions are brilliant!

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:04 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:I like the fan comments in the original movie - their just ordinary folk. The same as us.

...there is a couple that I don`t like this comparison with :wink:

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:42 pm

My only hope for the original version is that they'll remix audio, and maybe enhance the picture with a better transfer and some color correction. I believe there is 0% chance they've done a full restoration from original negative like the SE. Thats way too expensive.

I plan to eventually do a supercut that includes all the musical material from both, primarily to restore Bridge, Just Can't Help, I've Lost You, and Sweet Caroline. I wrote the Turner Classic Movies official web article and press release on the SE premiere, and it was all I could do to keep from ragging out the filmmakers for excluding the first two especially, though it would have been edited out anyway if I had. If they don't upgrade the original, I'll match CD audio (stereo only obviously,) for the added songs, and some color work which is pretty easy in Final Cut X and can make a big difference.

I wish I'd saved my DVD screener which included the Lonesome Tonight coda, which I figured would be on the official DVD soon enough. I haven't watched most of my Complete Performances 2dvd (double layer) set, I assume it's on there at least? The quality would be comparable as mine had time code and i pre-master video. I'd probably do a bonus scenes edit with lower quality highlights.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Brian In Atlanta wrote:My only hope for the original version is that they'll remix audio, and maybe enhance the picture with a better transfer and some color correction. I believe there is 0% chance they've done a full restoration from original negative like the SE. Thats way too expensive.

I plan to eventually do a supercut that includes all the musical material from both, primarily to restore Bridge, Just Can't Help, I've Lost You, and Sweet Caroline. I wrote the Turner Classic Movies official web article and press release on the SE premiere, and it was all I could do to keep from ragging out the filmmakers for excluding the first two especially, though it would have been edited out anyway if I had. If they don't upgrade the original, I'll match CD audio (stereo only obviously,) for the added songs, and some color work which is pretty easy in Final Cut X and can make a big difference.

I wish I'd saved my DVD screener which included the Lonesome Tonight coda, which I figured would be on the official DVD soon enough. I haven't watched most of my Complete Performances 2dvd (double layer) set, I assume it's on there at least? The quality would be comparable as mine had time code and i pre-master video. I'd probably do a bonus scenes edit with lower quality highlights.

I kind of wish they included The Lost Performances as special DVD on the package since it is still only on VHS.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Mike C wrote:
I kind of wish they included The Lost Performances as special DVD on the package since it is still only on VHS.

Would have been nice, though I suspect the master exists only in standard def including aspect ratio. I plan to digitize my Lost Perf's VHS, a decent VHS transfer can still look pretty nice, better than a lousily mastered DVD. I'll include any applicable material from Lost Perf's and not covered by SE into my fan edit bonus scenes.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Brian In Atlanta wrote:
Mike C wrote:I kind of wish they included The Lost Performances as special DVD on the package since it is still only on VHS.

Would have been nice, though I suspect the master exists only in standard def including aspect ratio. I plan to digitize my Lost Perf's VHS, a decent VHS transfer can still look pretty nice, better than a lousily mastered DVD. I'll include any applicable material from Lost Perf's and not covered by SE into my fan edit bonus scenes.

I have a LASERDISC transfer (burned to DVD-R) which actually looks really good.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Does anyone know if this is getting a UK release?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:35 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

trouble_jw wrote:Does anyone know if this is getting a UK release?

Well at least it will have a German non-digipack release! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www.amazon.de/Elvis-Presley-That ... +way+it+is

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:I wish I'd saved my DVD screener which included the Lonesome Tonight coda, which I figured would be on the official DVD soon enough.

Though I doubt it will happen, I hope that the new Blu will be the theatrical version of the SE and include that. Though in a modified form, the "Are You Lonesome Tonight" footage shows up on the Elvis Lives: The 25th Anniversary Concert DVD.