Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: TTWII Blu Ray

Sat May 10, 2014 5:48 am

Hans wrote:Let's hope so. I have my reservations and am prepared for another disappointment.

Yeah I thought the 2007 set was very disappointing as I was expecting a lot more, in terms of the quality and the potential for unseen footage. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for this one but I can't help it- I'm just excited for it! :D ::rocks

Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 pm

thekingtcb wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:Don't hesitate . . . ask any questions you may have.

We all help each other & share our knowledge.

Thank you so much Rich for making me feel welcome here; I still feel a bit intimidated and out-of-my-league sometimes, as I have very little to offer in terms of ::rocks

Yes love the gospel music too...

It's just incredible how passionate he was singing some of these beautiful gospel songs! ::rocks

Yes absolutely amazing! I remember for years I was only familiar with PEACE IN THE VALLEY - then discovered all the other great gospel recordings. LEAD ME GUIDE ME - REACH OUT TO JESUS - HOW GREAT THOU ART - so many faves...

It's the same way with me, there are just too many favorites to count. The version of How Great Thou Art from Memphis 1974 is probably my favorite gospel recording, either live or studio, but even that would be hard to say, as I LOVE the 1966 studio version, as well. Lead Me Guide Me is spectacular, as are In The Garden, Amazing Grace, Show Me Thy Ways 'O Lord (the home recording) , Crying In The Chapel, and...okay I'll stop now while I can. Pretty soon I'll go on autopilot naming them hahaha but they're just all so beautiful and peaceful to me. :D ::rocks

Fantastic stuff!! 'Why Me Lord' from Memphis '74 too...Just so many great recordings...

Oh yes absolutely, I just love hearing his gospel music and it always helps me through just about anything! :D ::rocks

Me too. It's very special...

What's you favourite? > the original TTWII - or the new 2001 edit. It's the original for me by a whisker...

I'd have to say the original, as I love the alternate performance of "Suspicious Minds" , as well as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" but it's a very, very close call for me. For me to compare the two is really splitting hairs, as they are both fantastic to me, but I just enjoy the uncut aspect of the 1970 version- it feels more organic and natural to me for some reason. I hope the Blu Ray will be awesome as well, and I'm looking forward to getting it!

Right on! Yes the original for me too... Love the red shirt rehearsals and all the fan comments -> we are fans ourselves...

But as you say splitting hairs.

Cheers

It really is! The rehearsals are great as well, and I really love TTWII, in either form, as I think it represents a terrific artist at the top of his game after a successful return to live concerts the previous year, and it's something I think I'll always enjoy! :)

Looking forward to the Blu-ray DVD that's for sure...

Will be stunning!!!

I know, I can't wait!! :D

I bet you touched the gate and everything.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:48 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:

Thank you so much Rich for making me feel welcome here; I still feel a bit intimidated and out-of-my-league sometimes, as I have very little to offer in terms of ::rocks

It's just incredible how passionate he was singing some of these beautiful gospel songs! ::rocks

Yes absolutely amazing! I remember for years I was only familiar with PEACE IN THE VALLEY - then discovered all the other great gospel recordings. LEAD ME GUIDE ME - REACH OUT TO JESUS - HOW GREAT THOU ART - so many faves...

It's the same way with me, there are just too many favorites to count. The version of How Great Thou Art from Memphis 1974 is probably my favorite gospel recording, either live or studio, but even that would be hard to say, as I LOVE the 1966 studio version, as well. Lead Me Guide Me is spectacular, as are In The Garden, Amazing Grace, Show Me Thy Ways 'O Lord (the home recording) , Crying In The Chapel, and...okay I'll stop now while I can. Pretty soon I'll go on autopilot naming them hahaha but they're just all so beautiful and peaceful to me. :D ::rocks

Fantastic stuff!! 'Why Me Lord' from Memphis '74 too...Just so many great recordings...

Oh yes absolutely, I just love hearing his gospel music and it always helps me through just about anything! :D ::rocks

What's you favourite? > the original TTWII - or the new 2001 edit. It's the original for me by a whisker...

I'd have to say the original, as I love the alternate performance of "Suspicious Minds" , as well as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" but it's a very, very close call for me. For me to compare the two is really splitting hairs, as they are both fantastic to me, but I just enjoy the uncut aspect of the 1970 version- it feels more organic and natural to me for some reason. I hope the Blu Ray will be awesome as well, and I'm looking forward to getting it!

Right on! Yes the original for me too... Love the red shirt rehearsals and all the fan comments -> we are fans ourselves...

But as you say splitting hairs.

Cheers

It really is! The rehearsals are great as well, and I really love TTWII, in either form, as I think it represents a terrific artist at the top of his game after a successful return to live concerts the previous year, and it's something I think I'll always enjoy! :)

Looking forward to the Blu-ray DVD that's for sure...

Will be stunning!!!

I know, I can't wait!! :D

I bet you touched the gate and everything.

Well, of course I did! :lol: ::rocks

Mon May 12, 2014 1:34 pm

When is this for release in the U.K?

Mon May 12, 2014 7:06 pm

the squirrel wrote:When is this for release in the U.K?

If at all? 'Elvis On Tour' never got a UK release did it?

On amazon, only the import versions of TTWIS and VLV are available at the minute......Man I hope they get a UK release.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm

I've got a bit lost here as to what has been mentioned and what hasn't, however it's worth mentioning that, just because the original version is included on the Blu-ray does not necessarily mean it will be in HD. For example, the 1925 version of Ben Hur is included on the Blu-ray of the 1959 remake, but the 1925 version isn't in HD but SD. As the release is being titled as a Blu-ray of the Special Edition, that may also be the case here with the original version. I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that the same outtakes are mentioned as the DVD release makes this looks to me to be in the form I have mentioned above.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:14 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I've got a bit lost here as to what has been mentioned and what hasn't, however it's worth mentioning that, just because the original version is included on the Blu-ray does not necessarily mean it will be in HD. For example, the 1925 version of Ben Hur is included on the Blu-ray of the 1959 remake, but the 1925 version isn't in HD but SD. As the release is being titled as a Blu-ray of the Special Edition, that may also be the case here with the original version. I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that the same outtakes are mentioned as the DVD release makes this looks to me to be in the form I have mentioned above.

If you look at the Warner Bros Press Release you will see that Disc 1(BD) will contain BOTH The Special Edition and the 1970 Original in HD 1080p. Disc 2(DVD) will have the 1970 Original plus the same 10 outtakes as the BD except that they will be in SD. The DVD is only included for people who still don't have a Blu-ray player, as it is with just about ALL releases these days. I don't understand why so many people are getting confused by this.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Elvislover813 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I've got a bit lost here as to what has been mentioned and what hasn't, however it's worth mentioning that, just because the original version is included on the Blu-ray does not necessarily mean it will be in HD. For example, the 1925 version of Ben Hur is included on the Blu-ray of the 1959 remake, but the 1925 version isn't in HD but SD. As the release is being titled as a Blu-ray of the Special Edition, that may also be the case here with the original version. I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that the same outtakes are mentioned as the DVD release makes this looks to me to be in the form I have mentioned above.

If you look at the Warner Bros Press Release you will see that Disc 1(BD) will contain BOTH The Special Edition and the 1970 Original in HD 1080p. Disc 2(DVD) will have the 1970 Original plus the same 10 outtakes as the BD except that they will be in SD. The DVD is only included for people who still don't have a Blu-ray player, as it is with just about ALL releases these days. I don't understand why so many people are getting confused by this.

No, this is why there is confusion. It's clear that the SE is in HD, but that doesn't mean that the original version (only a bonus feature on the disc) is as well. It doesn't mean it isn't, but it certainly doesn't say it is. The DVD of the bonus feature but not the main SE is a first - never seen that before, it's always the main feature on the DVD.

Likewise the House of Wax Blu-ray has The Mystery of the Wax Museum as a bonus feature, but it is a standard-def presentation in the case of the bonus feature. Both this and the Ben Hur disc I mention above are WB titles, as is TTWII - so we need to be wary of assumptions that the bonus original film on the Blu-ray disc is in HD
Last edited by poormadpeter on Tue May 13, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 13, 2014 3:03 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Elvislover813 wrote:

No, this is why there is confusion. It's clear that the SE is in HD, but that doesn't mean that the original version (only a bonus feature on the disc) is as well. It doesn't mean it isn't, but it certainly doesn't say it is. The DVD of the bonus feature but not main SE is a first - never seen that before, it's always the main feature on the DVD.

Likewise the House of Wax Blu-ray has The Mystery of the Wax Museum as a bonus feature, but it is a standard-def presentation in the case of the bonus feature. Both this and the Ben Hur disc I mention above are WB titles, as is TTWII - so we need to be wary of assumptions that the bonus original film on the Blu-ray disc is in HD

Yes, you do have a good point there. The listing on Blu-ray.com just says "1 movie, 2 cuts" so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:06 pm

They usually dissapoint us one way or the other. we're never allowed to get what we want, that's not good business to them lol.

Fri May 16, 2014 9:02 pm

On Amazon they are not taking pre-orders. I thought they were before but now they offer to send you an e-mail when available. Still has the same release date though.

Sat May 17, 2014 7:03 am

thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:
thekingtcb wrote:

Welcome Kingtcb. I became a fan at age 11 and that was 50 years ago. This might be a lifetime thing for you and I love hearing about young new fans coming aboard. You have remarkable taste and culture.

Your answer about the two TTWII films confused me. Do you consider Suspicious Minds from the original film to be the alternate version? You also mention the "uncut aspect of the 1970 version," but that version is so cut up with breaks between so many songs. If you hadn't mentioned "Bridge" I'd have thought you were talking about the SE version. I can unequivocally say that, IMO, I don't care for the SE because of the choices producer Rick Schmidlin made and that the original 1970 version is head and shoulders superior to the later edit.

Where are you in your collecting journey? Have you heard or do you own much of the Presley catalogue or do you have much to discover yet? You love the gospel music. What about the 50's stuff, early 60's, 70's output? What is your favorite era? How did this fascination with Elvis develop? Is one of your parents a big fan? Love to hear these things from newer fans.

Glad you're here. Look forward to hearing your story. Cheers...

Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Well, young thekingtcb, though your response has been lost, I read it. Thank you. Yes, the original 1970 film included Suspicious Minds from August 12 MS. It was great, with the exciting "shoulder roll" ending and I'll never understand the substitution in the SE version. Of course, deep fans were excited for an alternate version but ultimately, it was one more problem I have with the new movie.

It sounds like you already have quite a collection going. I'm sure if there are some gaps in it or you have questions, this will be a great place for information.

Cheers....

Mon May 19, 2014 2:57 am

stevelecher wrote:Well, young thekingtcb, though your response has been lost, I read it. Thank you. Yes, the original 1970 film included Suspicious Minds from August 12 MS. It was great, with the exciting "shoulder roll" ending and I'll never understand the substitution in the SE version. Of course, deep fans were excited for an alternate version but ultimately, it was one more problem I have with the new movie.

It sounds like you already have quite a collection going. I'm sure if there are some gaps in it or you have questions, this will be a great place for information.

Cheers....

Yeah, I noticed that! :lol: I guess there was a server issue yesterday that fecc encountered, where they had to restore to an older point, thereby losing some of the more recent posts, at least that's how it was explained to me. I was disappointed, because it took me forever to type and I can't remember most of what I said haha, but I'm glad you got to see it. I plan on trying to retype and re-post it as soon as I can, but I'm just super busy right now with homework- my school year is ending in 4 days so they dumped all this work on us for the last week hahaha. It's not leaving me with much free time, but I really appreciate all of the kind replies from everyone, including yourself, and I am happy that I got to (briefly) share my journey with how I became an Elvis fan, etc. I didn't really think it would be interesting to anyone else to listen to me ramble about it :lol: . Nonetheless, thank you all so much and have a superb day!! :D ::rocks

Logan

Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 am

If the original cut on disc 1 is in SD then that disc would not be a BD, correct? What would the label say? This disc contalns some bluray and some SD?

Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 am

steve in SC wrote:If the original cut on disc 1 is in SD then that disc would not be a BD, correct? What would the label say? This disc contalns some bluray and some SD?

Basically. It's quite common for "extras" to be in SD on blu rays. And its certainly not being advertised as the main feature here.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:
steve in SC wrote:If the original cut on disc 1 is in SD then that disc would not be a BD, correct? What would the label say? This disc contalns some bluray and some SD?

Basically. It's quite common for "extras" to be in SD on blu rays. And its certainly not being advertised as the main feature here.

Sure, but to have it again in non Blu-ray on the 2nd disc, which we already know is a DVD version of the original movie, to me makes the least sense of all. I think what we are really worried about is that it isn't on the first disc at all but instead it is the 1970 Original Theatrical Trailer instead of Movie, as it is listed. But we have already gone around and around on all of this. We need some contact with Warner and get official word about the product. Until then we are just killing time with our theories.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 pm

thekingtcb wrote:Yeah, I noticed that! :lol: I guess there was a server issue yesterday that fecc encountered, where they had to restore to an older point, thereby losing some of the more recent posts, at least that's how it was explained to me.

Please re-post when you get a chance, as I didn't have the opportunity to read it.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

L Ray wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Sure, but to have it again in non Blu-ray on the 2nd disc, which we already know is a DVD version of the original movie, to me makes the least sense of all. I think what we are really worried about is that it isn't on the first disc at all but instead it is the 1970 Original Theatrical Trailer instead of Movie, as it is listed. But we have already gone around and around on all of this. We need some contact with Warner and get official word about the product. Until then we are just killing time with our theories.

I think you may be right. Either way, I think the original movie will be SD whether on the bluray or the DVD.

Mon May 19, 2014 10:26 pm

I fully expect the original movie to be in SD. I'm okay with that. Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,
I will have no interest in buying this product. I already have the 2007 release.

Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 pm

JerryNodak wrote: Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,
I will have no interest in buying this product.

That is the most likely scenario. Different format, same quality & content, nothing more. As stated before, the only purpose of this re-issue is to cater to the Blu Ray market, which are growing by leaps and bounds.

Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 am

JerryNodak wrote:I fully expect the original movie to be in SD. I'm okay with that. Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,
I will have no interest in buying this product. I already have the 2007 release.

Don't you have any interest in seeing the SE on Blu-ray in 1080p HD? I for one am very excited about it!

Tue May 20, 2014 2:29 am

Elvislover813 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I fully expect the original movie to be in SD. I'm okay with that. Unless it's released in the same lousy audio/video quality as in 2007. If so,

Don't you have any interest in seeing the SE on Blu-ray in 1080p HD? I for one am very excited about it!

Same here. Either one in Blu-ray is a big event for me. But if both are in Blu-ray with the great sound, then it will be a huge event and maybe the best Elvis video ever.

Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 am

thekingtcb wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Well, young thekingtcb, though your response has been lost, I read it. Thank you. Yes, the original 1970 film included Suspicious Minds from August 12 MS. It was great, with the exciting "shoulder roll" ending and I'll never understand the substitution in the SE version. Of course, deep fans were excited for an alternate version but ultimately, it was one more problem I have with the new movie.

Cheers....

Yeah, I noticed that! :lol: I guess there was a server issue yesterday that fecc encountered, where they had to restore to an older point, thereby losing some of the more recent posts, at least that's how it was explained to me. I was disappointed, because it took me forever to type and I can't remember most of what I said haha, but I'm glad you got to see it. I plan on trying to retype and re-post it as soon as I can, but I'm just super busy right now with homework- my school year is ending in 4 days so they dumped all this work on us for the last week hahaha. It's not leaving me with much free time, but I really appreciate all of the kind replies from everyone, including yourself, and I am happy that I got to (briefly) share my journey with how I became an Elvis fan, etc. I didn't really think it would be interesting to anyone else to listen to me ramble about it :lol: . Nonetheless, thank you all so much and have a superb day!! :D ::rocks

Logan

Hi Logan,

Never got a chance to say hello. While issues like what happened the other day are extremely rare (our tech guru is AWESOME!), I am getting myself in the habit of writing longer posts in a word processor or Note program.

As for the upcoming release, it's too soon to know . . . I doubt I'll be "disappointed," since I really, really wanted this, and I plan to enjoy it - frequently.

Welcome!

rjm

Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 am

Elvislover813 wrote:

Absolutely none. I greatly dislike the SE.