Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Is Back on SACD - worthwhile?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello, I see a site in the USA has "Elvis Is Back" on SACD available. Has anyone heard this DSD version in high definition audio?
Is it worth getting considering I have the legacy edition already, is the sound upgrade significant?

Re: Elvis Is Back on SACD - worthwhile?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 am

Is your CD/DVD player compatible with SACD/DSD ?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 am

Scoobie wrote:Hello, I see a site in the USA has "Elvis Is Back" on SACD available. Has anyone heard this DSD version in high definition audio?
Is it worth getting considering I have the legacy edition already, is the sound upgrade significant?

It sounds delicious, but so the Legacy edition does. I find the SACD a little higher on the highs and cleaner, while the Legacy has more bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 am

The FTD version beats out all versions, IMO.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:21 am

elvis_king wrote:Is your CD/DVD player compatible with SACD/DSD ?

Yes, my 2 systems are SACD capable.... So far my SACD discs are quite good, especially those that have a 5.1 layer.
I think I am going to invest in the SACD as well! just wish it was not so expensive...

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 am

frus75 wrote:
Scoobie wrote:Hello, I see a site in the USA has "Elvis Is Back" on SACD available. Has anyone heard this DSD version in high definition audio?

It sounds delicious, but so the Legacy edition does. I find the SACD a little higher on the highs and cleaner, while the Legacy has more bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I guess I will just have to try it and see... I was hoping for a 5.1 track as well... Still I guess I should be glad it is available at all....

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 am

No, it's not - the best sounding CD is the DCC Gold disc which is mastered by Steve Hoffman or the latest Legacy release mastered by Vick Annesini, if you want the outtakes get the FTD ... All 4 SACD are hardly (Kink Creole is actually worse sounding) an upgrade over the standard CD's

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

memphisflash wrote:

No, it's not - the best sounding CD is the DCC Gold disc which is mastered by Steve Hoffman or the latest Legacy release mastered by Vick Annesini, if you want the outtakes get the FTD ... All 4 SACD are hardly (Kink Creole is actually worse sounding) an upgrade over the standard CD's

Actually Essential Vol 2 SACD sounds signicantly better than the CD if you have a SACD-player and a decent sound system. The sound on the binaural tracks is breathtaking. EIB and 24 Karat Hits sound very good too but the difference is not as radical as on Essential Vol 2. King Creole is the only SACD release so far that I would avoid.

Also, check this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80890

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Best sounding Elvis is Back! is still the original US. 1 pressing vinyl :)

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Yes, SACD has much higher resolution, so if the mastering is not up to par, you will be able to hear how crappy it is much easier.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Wow, thanks guys for all you answers, all I can conclude is that the 'value' of getting the SACD will be highly subjective and dependant upon the hardware used. So, I think I will take the plunge and order EIB or maybe 24 karat hits... Not sure which yet.. Thanks again to all who replied.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 am

Super Audio CD (SACD) is a read-only optical disc for audio storage, introduced in 1999. It was developed jointly by Sony and Philips Electronics, and intended to be the successor to their Compact Disc format. While the SACD format can offer more channels (e.g. surround sound), and a longer playing time than CD, research published in 2007 found no significant difference in audio quality between SACD and standard CD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

This above quote is from wiki, and is quite accurate.
The SACD format is capable of delivering a dynamic range of 120 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz and an extended frequency response up to 100 kHz, although most currently available players list an upper limit of 70–90 kHz, and practical limits reduce this to 50 kHz. One cannot make a direct technical comparison between DSD and PCM. DSD's frequency response can be as high as 100 kHz, but frequencies that high compete with high levels of ultrasonic quantization noise.

I own all 4 SACD's which are :
King Creole
Elvis Is Back
Stereo 57 Essential Vol. 2
24 Karat Hits

I own these because I collect Presley CD's, and I also have these in the standard CD format, and after comparing them on some of the latest top of the line equipment which I have also tested and compared with the latest Sony Blu-ray player, as well as standard players that can handle the SACD format - the conclusion is a difference of none in sound quality of any of these discs. The main benefit of SACD is it's capabilities to hold more data than a standard CD and a 5.1 layer (which none of the Elvis collection has). Even in 2014 most CD/DVD playback devices SACD-DSD ready, still limit their sigma-delta converters capabilities.

One of the best, and my personal favorite http://www.elvisoncd.com backs up the fact there is No difference is audio quality between SACD, and standard CD, and I back this also. But as a collector they are fun to have. :wink:

TCB-FAN wrote:The FTD version beats out all versions, IMO.

I agree with you TCB-FAN

Mike DK wrote:Best sounding Elvis is Back! is still the original US. 1 pressing vinyl :)

With the right Turntable/Stylus - yes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:23 am

I don't believe everything I read on wiki and this one case where I don't agree. I well implemented release in hi res music can sound better whether it's SACD/DVDA/Hi Res files. I have a fair view releases, mainly non Elvis and they can sound better but not always. It depends on the source used etc. The recent Springsteen album is an example where there is no difference but the last Paul Simon sounds gorgeous. You need to read some reviews before buying such as Steve Hoffmans or Computer Audiophile. Hardware is a factor too, a good system will bring out any differences that are there. Also, your own hearing is a factor. The older you get the less likely you will pick up frequency extremes. Which is where hi res releases tend to show improvements. So improvements are not guaranteed but if implemented well hi res formats can sound better.

cheers Jamie

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm

So, in the end I bought EIB on SACD and it is fantastic, I am so happy, the sound is fantastic! So worthwhile...