Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

"Saved".

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Elvis performed this classic Lavern Baker song in the 68 Special as part of the gospel melody.

As i said above the song was by Lavern Barker and written by the great team of Leiber/Stoller and released on Atlantic in 1960.

It's one of those rare performances that capture a great performance.

I wonder how this song got in there or who suggested it.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Re: "Saved".

Post by George Smith »

The song had already been listed as a potential track for the June 1966 Nashville session so it was certainly on Elvis' radar.

Also, being published by Progressive Music it was part of the H&R group of companies: Elvis himself may or may not have benefited directly from that but the Aberbach brothers certainly did.

Killer song, phenomenal performance: the tacked on ending used on the "Memories" set was magnificent.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

George Smith wrote:The song had already been listed as a potential track for the June 1966 Nashville session so it was certainly on Elvis' radar.

Also, being published by Progressive Music it was part of the H&R group of companies: Elvis himself may or may not have benefited directly from that but the Aberbach brothers certainly did.

Killer song, phenomenal performance: the tacked on ending used on the "Memories" set was magnificent.
Thanks for your reply, George. Never knew it was considered for the June 66 Sessions.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

You're welcome, thank you.

"A Life In Music", pp 217.

Also on the list were "Faded" Love", "Shake A Hand" and several others.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

George Smith wrote:You're welcome, thank you.

"A Life In Music", pp 217.

Also on the list were "Faded" Love", "Shake A Hand" and several others.
That book is still on my "wants" list. I must have it because it's about the music.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I came across one of the earlier incarnations over thirty years ago and I'm not ashamed to say it changed my life.

WALK A LONELY STREET

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

George Smith wrote:The song had already been listed as a potential track for the June 1966 Nashville session so it was certainly on Elvis' radar.

I get goosebumps every time I hear that ending. Fantastic.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

londonflash wrote:

I get goosebumps every time I hear that ending. Fantastic.
I've got the "Memories" CD...i'll have to play it to remind myself.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Not sure if that tag is from the pre-record sessions, or an audio outtake from the Burbank tapings, but it is very cool.

It should be noted that Elvis' recording is actually a medley with an uncredited song, "Preach For The Sky," written by Western Recorders keyboardist, Tommy Wolfe.

Saved / Preach for the Sky / Saved

The entire gospel medley, as seen in the original 1968 TV special, includes four such examples:

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child /Where Could I Go But to the Lord / Yes, Yes, Yes / Up Above My Head / Soul Support / I Found That Light / Saved / Preach for the Sky / Saved

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Elvis performed this classic Lavern Baker song in the 68 Special as part of the gospel melody.

As i said above the song was by Lavern Barker and written by the great team of Leiber/Stoller and released on Atlantic in 1960.

The original by LaVern Baker is a fabulous, definitive record, produced by Leiber and Stoller.

But Elvis did a very good version of the song. I bet the original was a personal favorite for him.

Interestingly, until very recently there was an incredible video available on YouTube of Darlene Love performing the song live on television in 1965. The arrangement was virtually the same as the one on the Baker original (or on the Elvis version, for that matter), but Love did a real terrific job on the song, which, as far as I know, she never recorded in the studio.

Of course, Darlene (as part of The Blossoms) was among the vocalists accompanying Elvis on his version in 1968.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Not sure if that tag is from the pre-record sessions, or an audio outtake from the Burbank tapings, but it is very cool.

It should be noted that Elvis' recording is actually a medley with an uncredited song, "Preach For The Sky," written by Western Recorders keyboardist, Tommy Wolfe.

Saved / Preach for the Sky / Saved

Which part of that sequence is "preach for the sky?" The only section it could be would be the instrumental break?
The entire gospel medley, as seen in the original 1968 TV special, includes four such examples:

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child /Where Could I Go But to the Lord / Yes, Yes, Yes / Up Above My Head / Soul Support / I Found That Light / Saved / Preach for the Sky / Saved

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Mister Moon wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Elvis performed this classic Lavern Baker song in the 68 Special as part of the gospel melody.

The original by LaVern Baker is a fabulous, definitive record, produced by Leiber and Stoller.

But Elvis did a very good version of the song. I bet the original was a personal favorite for him.

Interestingly, until very recently there was an incredible video available on YouTube of Darlene Love performing the song live on television in 1965. The arrangement was virtually the same as the one on the Baker original (or on the Elvis version, for that matter), but Love did a real terrific job on the song, which, as far as I know, she never recorded in the studio.

Of course, Darlene (as part of The Blossoms) was among the vocalists accompanying Elvis on his version in 1968.
Like to hear the Darlene Love version... It's a shame Elvis didn't do a proper studio version of the song, another missed opportunity.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:It's a shame Elvis didn't do a proper studio version of the song, another missed opportunity.
Whilst I take your point, there's nothing whatsoever about Elvis' rendition that disappoints me.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

George Smith wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:It's a shame Elvis didn't do a proper studio version of the song, another missed opportunity.
Whilst I take your point, there's nothing whatsoever about Elvis' rendition that disappoints me.
It doesn't disappoint me either. Thinking about it, if it had of been recorded in June 66, i doubt it would have captured the excitement of the 68 special version.

I think it would've been great if he'd done it at the same time he did the songs for the "Elvis Is Back"....having the Nashville A team backing him, wow! *sigh*....

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

George Smith wrote:I can't recommend it highly enough.

I came across one of the earlier incarnations over thirty years ago and I'm not ashamed to say it changed my life.
Are you talking about Ernst's earlier "Recording Sessions" book George? I still have one of those too. Along with the information which was a revelation at the time, there are some great shots of Elvis at work in the studio in the book too.

The proposed song list for June '66, along with the songs Elvis tried out informally at the time, provide a real window into what might have been, had Elvis not been tied to the movie contracts at this time.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

rockinrebel wrote:Are you talking about Ernst's earlier "Recording Sessions" book George?
This is the volume:
Recording Sessions.jpg
It belonged to friend and I borrowed it from him: I then copied out the entire book, word for word.

It completely changed my view of Elvis' music: I realised for the first time that his career did have a shape and that there was a logic to his music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WALK A LONELY STREET

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

George Smith wrote:
This is the volume:
Recording Sessions.jpg
It belonged to friend and I borrowed it from him: I then copied out the entire book, word for word.

It completely changed my view of Elvis' music: I realised for the first time that his career did have a shape and that there was a logic to his music.
Thanks, I have the book too. Some of Elvis' music was originally issued so haphazardly that the book really did provide a fresh perspective on Elvis' recording career.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

rockinrebel wrote:Thanks, I have the book too. Some of Elvis' music was originally issued so haphazardly that the book really did provide a fresh perspective on Elvis' recording career.
Yup, that's about the size of it.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

George Smith wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:Are you talking about Ernst's earlier "Recording Sessions" book George?
This is the volume:
Recording Sessions.jpg

So, the one with the shot of him from the "Loving You" sessions on the cover is the updated version?

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Yes, that was the first one I was able to purchase for myself.

The information was much more accurate in the "Loving You" version.

But, man, that earlier version was just so damned exciting ...

WALK A LONELY STREET

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
George Smith wrote:Yes, that was the first one I was able to purchase for myself.

The information was much more accurate in the "Loving You" version.

But, man, that earlier version was just so damned exciting ...
Sir!, the latest updated version before "A Life In Music" was the one pictured below, released on June 1st, 1990 by Pierian Ink in a hardcover edition :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Reconsider Baby: The Definitive Elvis Sessionography 1954~1977 by Ernst Jorgensen, Erik Rasmussen, Johnny Mikkelsen

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

I'm sure you're right, Mike:

But the soft-cover version that I bought looks like this:
Reconsider Baby.jpg
Hence the "Loving You" reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
George Smith wrote:I'm sure you're right, Mike:

But the soft-cover version that I bought looks like this:
Reconsider Baby.jpg
Hence the "Loving You" reference.
mysterytrainrideson wrote:So, the one with the shot of him from the "Loving You" sessions on the cover is the updated versión?.
Yes Sir, you´re right!.

Anyway, if he´s looking for the most updated version of the former release before A Life In Music he should go for the one I posted :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I have the hardback version from 1998 with almost the same front cover but with a picture of Elvis's August 4, 1970 rehearsals in a Hilton Hotel conference room. Was/Is that the most updated version?

(Sorry for goin' slightly off-topic....)

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:

Like to hear the Darlene Love version... It's a shame Elvis didn't do a proper studio version of the song, another missed opportunity.
In a way, it is a studio performance since he didnt really sing it live but lip-synched it to a pre-recording. Pity it wasnt sung live with a hand-held mic. I think the gospel segment of the show should have been done live all the way around.