Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Elvis Portland Memories 1957

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thank you very much.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

A nice article is found via that link, plus some "new to my eyes" images.

I've added both below, with original 1957 captions for the photos.

Elvis Presley found in Oregonian basement
By Drew Vattiat | The Oregonian
Monday, March 31, 2014

As the Oregonian Media Group prepares to move out of the Oregonian building on Southwest Broadway later this year and over to a new location a few blocks away, there's some housecleaning that inevitably needs to be taken care of.

One piece of business is combing through the old photo negatives, most of which are from the 1980s and 90s, to choose what will be converted into digital form. This task was bestowed upon yours truly.

With approximately 100 vertical filing cabinets and 50 loose boxes worth of negatives, slides and hard-copy prints to sort through, it isn't what you'd call glamorous work. There is some upside, however. For every thousand photos of car crashes along I-5, there's a handful of gold nuggets: photos of the Mount St. Helens eruption, semi-vintage shots of Trail Blazers, and the Rose Festival.

So when I spotted a small envelope at the bottom of a folder with the description, "Elvis w/ Kids," admittedly, thoughts of a potential Antique Roadshow-esque discovery crossed my mind. Inside were two 4x5 copy negatives of original prints; one was of Elvis Presley performing and the other was The King with three autograph-seeking kids. Were these never-before-seen images? Perhaps a 'Da Vinci Code' message was embedded about Presley's 'real' whereabouts? Not quite, but if you're an Elvis fan from the Portland area and haven't seen the photos before, it's still pretty neat.

With a little digging by staff news researcher Lynne Palombo, it was confirmed that both photos were taken on Sept. 2, 1957 when Presley visited Portland for a concert at Multnomah Stadium (now Providence Park). The shot on stage was published by The Oregonian and the other was printed by The Oregon Journal, which was purchased four years later by The O.

As Journal staff writer Dorothy Lois Smith penned in her column the day following the concert, there was "definitely the on-stage Elvis and off-stage Elvis." The juxtaposition of a rhinestone studded Presley that can hardly contain himself in one photo and the tender loving, mild-mannered Presley in the other gives a good representation of just that.

In the slideshow above, you can get a good look at the photos and negatives found, with the original captions that ran when they were published. Also included are the newspaper pages and photos published the day after the concert. Lastly, a shot of our lovely basement, where the negatives are stored - my home away from home.

If you happen to recognize the kids in the photo or if you just want to share your memories of Elvis visiting Portland back in the day, feel free to comment below.

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/03/elvis_presley_photos_negatives.html
01.JPG
This tyke shows Elvis she's a guitar expert, too, as she holds up miniature of type that Presley wields in his gyrations. Later, screaming fans gave singer their noisy "vote of approval." Oregon Journal file photo

02.JPG
Teenage contest winners got chance to ask personal questions of their idol before he went on stage. They found him polite, amiable, and direct in his answers. Mostly, they asked about his love-life, what he thinks about teenagers who try to maul him, when he will be drafted. Oregonian file photo

03.JPG
Flash bulbs by the score popped as avid Elvis Presley fans attempted to get pictures of idol. Journal staff photographer Ed Lee "borrowed" light from exploding bulbs and made five second time exposure. Nearly 20 flashes are shown in the stadium area itself and on stadium floor in front of bandstand which Presley had mounted. Oregon Journal file photo

04.JPG
During interview in dressing room in Multnomah Athletic Club prior to his show at Multnomah Stadium, Presley was suave and pleasant as he autographed for winners of local disc jockey contests. He was clad in black slacks and shoes, matching socks and tie in silver and black. He wore light blue dinner jacket. Oregon Journal file photo

05.JPG
"Howdy, Pardner," said Charles E. Halbrook from Memphis, Tenn., to the man from his hometown, Elvis Presley. Halbrook was among several who weren't fooled by Presley's back stage exit from Union Station, as result, got handshakes, autograph. Oregon Journal file photo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by hilton22000 »

Great fiind, great photos - taken by Allan de Lay (the photos from Union Station and the one from press conference)

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Nice,thanks brian.

norrie

drjohncarpenter

Presley was suave and pleasant as he autographed for winners of local disc jockey contests.

I love it!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Barbie »

I love 1957!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much...........more for the collection!!!! :) :)

drjohncarpenter

Barbie wrote:I love 1957!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much...........more for the collection!!!! :) :)
Glad you liked the photos!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.