Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

john herman

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:43 pm

i was just listening to the new years eve 1976 ftd cd again , i noticed it listed john herman as the owner of the audio . I done a google search
and read up on this good man who was responsible for many great pictures , audio , and who can forget the fabulous up close new years film .
As i read on here on a thread or two sadly he was cheated by some people who stold his film , how terrible . Does anyone know if he is till with us
and if he has shared his memories of seeing ELVIS and taping him .

Re: john herman

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Super-fan John Herman is retired. He has not shared anything for public consumption to date. He has many intimate Elvis experiences that few have ever heard, it would be very cool for someone to get them on record, it would certainly add more to what we know about Presley in the 1970s.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Super-fan John Herman is retired. He has not shared anything for public consumption to date. He has many intimate Elvis experiences that few have ever heard, it would be very cool for someone to get them on record, it would certainly add more to what we know about Presley in the 1970s.

thank you DR JOHN for setting the record straight , I agree it would surly be interesting to have his memories being shared . I just find it sad that his nice
concert film was stolen from him . ::rocks

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:34 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

motleycrue wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Super-fan John Herman is retired. He has not shared anything for public consumption to date. He has many intimate Elvis experiences that few have ever heard, it would be very cool for someone to get them on record, it would certainly add more to what we know about Presley in the 1970s.

thank you DR JOHN for setting the record straight , I agree it would surly be interesting to have his memories being shared . I just find it sad that his nice

FECC member Greybeard knows him :wink:, if only he could share his friendship with us... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

motleycrue wrote:

FECC member Greybeard knows him :wink:, if only he could share his friendship with us... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

thank you MIKE WINDGREN , it surly would be great to read more about MR HERMAN and his experiences and the shows he witnessed. ::rocks

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Would make for a multi issue Man & Music article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Would make for a multi issue Man & Music article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is a great idea JIM DANDI , i remember they did an issue with ger rijff and his memories of seeing ELVIS 76 vegas stint . So this would
be really interesting to read . ::rocks

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Ive talked to John and i am sorry to say he is not well and not up to long conversations on the phone. I asked him for an interview and he said if he gets a day that he feels well then we can do it. That was many weeks ago.
Joe K

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 pm

how old is he meanwhile?

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Elvis2001.net wrote:Ive talked to John and i am sorry to say he is not well and not up to long conversations on the phone. I asked him for an interview and he said if he gets a day that he feels well then we can do it. That was many weeks ago.
Joe K

It'd be great if you could get an interview but the important thing is that his health improves.

Best of luck to John!

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Elvis2001.net wrote:Ive talked to John and i am sorry to say he is not well and not up to long conversations on the phone. I asked him for an interview and he said if he gets a day that he feels well then we can do it. That was many weeks ago.
Joe K

Tthank you so much ELVIS2001 that is sad to hear . I do hope he will be better soon if by chance you happen to speak again please tell him many of us
would love nothing better than him well and sharing his memories . ::rocks

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 am

:cry: Sorry to read that John is not well and a Man & Music interview(even if only by phone transcript) would be Excellent to read- John certainly was a super fan whilst Elvis was alive!~ :lol:

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 am

Well it looks like your wishes have come true. Well at least about John Herman. I will be interviewing him this weekend. So here is your chance. What would you ask him? I will ask the question for you.
Joe Krein

:lol:

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 am

Elvis2001.net wrote:Well it looks like your wishes have come true. Well at least about John Herman. I will be interviewing him this weekend. So here is your chance. What would you ask him? I will ask the question for you.
Joe Krein

:lol:

Ask him how he got to know Elvis on a private level, and if he will ever put his wonderful memories to print. He has some awesome (and sometimes sad) stories to tell.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Anyone else? There has to be something you want to ask.?
Joe

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 pm

What's so "Super" about a fan who won't share rare material with fellow fans?

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Perhaps this may've been asked in the past but besides the NYE show, does he have other audience recorded shows that he personally recorded himself that we haven't heard yet?

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:41 pm

SLGM- My friend I beg to differ, he has shared numerous items over these many years. From the recording of the Pittsburgh show to the amazing footage he shot at that and other events. Most of which he has never been credited with.

He freely shared his great photographs and films way before the advent of the internet and to this day his Vegas '75 & '76 images are used on web pages, bootleg releases and books...again without any credit to him.

The only time this man made any income from these items is when Ernst & company purchased the original recording of the New Years Eve show, and that was very nominal. I know because I was in on that transaction as an insider. Also when he had to sell his incredible collection of film and photos to a collector, where they'd be held in the respect they deserved, to pay medical and other bills.

John's main focus was building an incredible collection of Elvis recordings and memorabilia over time. The likes of which few in the Elvis world have ever seen....you could almost say if an item existed he has or has had it in his vast collection.

John contributed articles to many fan magazines and monthly publications over the years prior to the internet.

I personally became friends with him around 1975 when he would share recordings and photos with a younger Elvis collector...all for free- just in the name of friendship. Unlike many of the "Super Fans" who used there collections and Elvis contact for boosting there own personal "fame".

John & Elvis' paths crossed in the 70's on a personal level when he met his idol. Being a policeman made Elvis take a shine to this fan. I won't detail how they met or why. I will let that for the article / interview to be done. They shared phone calls, conversations and a somewhat professional relationship also. Herman had unbelievable access to the backstage goings on. If you have ever seen his backstage images from Philly / Binghamton and other locales you'd see angles none of the other so-called Elvis photographers ever had. These images too are abundant on the web.

I have footage of him at fan get togethers with people like John Wilkinson & Dick Grob who called him friend years after he Elvis years. The footage I have with Wilkinson show the two John's moving about the various tables with Mr. Wilkinson being sure to take Herman along with him as a comforting friend. Many times you can see them talking and Mr. Wilkinson referring to Herman as Johnny.

I have photos of Herman's daughter swimming in a pool in Vegas while Dr Nick and Joe Esposito kind of kept an eye on her. His daughter spent time with Lisa Marie at Graceland back when they were young. These stories I will leave to the interviewer to fill out.

You must believe that in all my many years of collecting Elvis and following him (a span of time that started in 1962) I have never met a more loyal, giving or honest fan than Mr. Herman. In this time of fans wanting, craving every small scrap of new Elvis items they can lay their hands on, well, many of his things have been seen already.

Today in failing health and advancing age he lives a meager existence. His police pension barely enough to get by on and little other coming in to help daily expenses he struggles. Now he is in process of selling his incredible collection. He long ago sold his Pittsburgh and other film and photographs to simply live on.

Unfortunately fans today seem more interested in the newest bootleg CD or rehash of pictures in another overpriced book than in true Elvis collectibles like those of longtime collectors such as John.

He has given so much to this Elvis world we enjoy. Fans simply don't know exactly what he has given them these days. I do and my heart breaks when I see things I know came from his hands used over and over.

His story is incredible, his loyalty and friendship to Elvis and those surrounding him is steadfast and unwavering. That is no doubt why Elvis liked him as much as he did.

He is my friend and has been since back in 1975. We speak sometimes several times a week and as we reminisce we talk the aches, pains and hardships of day to day life.

I am proud of my friend.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:42 pm

More questions:

- How did John become a fan, and when?

- Did he and Elvis ever talk later about the British Sun collection Herman gave him at a Las Vegas show in December 1975?
Listening to the concert tape, Presley sounds pleased and surprised, and remembers he made 5 Sun singles.

- Which concert was John's most memorable, and why?

- Which was his least memorable, and why?

- Is there a special moment or conversation with Elvis he can share with us?

- What is FECC member Greybeard really like? ;-)
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 pm

That's cool Grey and I apologise. I didn't know any of this and I guess I was generalising. I've heard the term "Super fan" attached to people who own loads of unreleased rarities and never release them or share them.

The Pittsburgh footage and recording is certainly classic material in the Elvis collector world.

I just wish I had a cart load of unreleased Elvis material - I'd be giving it away. There's nothing quite so enjoyable about talking to other fans about Elvis rare recordings and sharing opinions. I'm sure we want it all.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Greybeard wrote:SLGM- My friend I beg to differ, he has shared numerous items over these many years. From the recording of the Pittsburgh show to the amazing footage he shot at that and other events. Most of which he has never been credited with.

He freely shared his great photographs and films way before the advent of the internet and to this day his Vegas '75 & '76 images are used on web pages, bootleg releases and books...again without any credit to him.

The only time this man made any income from these items is when Ernst & company purchased the original recording of the New Years Eve show, and that was very nominal. I know because I was in on that transaction as an insider. Also when he had to sell his incredible collection of film and photos to a collector, where they'd be held in the respect they deserved, to pay medical and other bills.

John's main focus was building an incredible collection of Elvis recordings and memorabilia over time. The likes of which few in the Elvis world have ever seen....you could almost say if an item existed he has or has had it in his vast collection.

John contributed articles to many fan magazines and monthly publications over the years prior to the internet.

I personally became friends with him around 1975 when he would share recordings and photos with a younger Elvis collector...all for free- just in the name of friendship. Unlike many of the "Super Fans" who used there collections and Elvis contact for boosting there own personal "fame".

John & Elvis' paths crossed in the 70's on a personal level when he met his idol. Being a policeman made Elvis take a shine to this fan. I won't detail how they met or why. I will let that for the article / interview to be done. They shared phone calls, conversations and a somewhat professional relationship also. Herman had unbelievable access to the backstage goings on. If you have ever seen his backstage images from Philly / Binghamton and other locales you'd see angles none of the other so-called Elvis photographers ever had. These images too are abundant on the web.

I have footage of him at fan get togethers with people like John Wilkinson & Dick Grob who called him friend years after he Elvis years. The footage I have with Wilkinson show the two John's moving about the various tables with Mr. Wilkinson being sure to take Herman along with him as a comforting friend. Many times you can see them talking and Mr. Wilkinson referring to Herman as Johnny.

I have photos of Herman's daughter swimming in a pool in Vegas while Dr Nick and Joe Esposito kind of kept an eye on her. His daughter spent time with Lisa Marie at Graceland back when they were young. These stories I will leave to the interviewer to fill out.

You must believe that in all my many years of collecting Elvis and following him (a span of time that started in 1962) I have never met a more loyal, giving or honest fan than Mr. Herman. In this time of fans wanting, craving every small scrap of new Elvis items they can lay their hands on, well, many of his things have been seen already.

Today in failing health and advancing age he lives a meager existence. His police pension barely enough to get by on and little other coming in to help daily expenses he struggles. Now he is in process of selling his incredible collection. He long ago sold his Pittsburgh and other film and photographs to simply live on.

Unfortunately fans today seem more interested in the newest bootleg CD or rehash of pictures in another overpriced book than in true Elvis collectibles like those of longtime collectors such as John.

He has given so much to this Elvis world we enjoy. Fans simply don't know exactly what he has given them these days. I do and my heart breaks when I see things I know came from his hands used over and over.

His story is incredible, his loyalty and friendship to Elvis and those surrounding him is steadfast and unwavering. That is no doubt why Elvis liked him as much as he did.

He is my friend and has been since back in 1975. We speak sometimes several times a week and as we reminisce we talk the aches, pains and hardships of day to day life.

I am proud of my friend.

Thank you for a wonderful post, Greybeard.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Very nice post Greybeard. I'm sure SLGM meant no harm; he's a nice guy.

And Elvis2001
The Docs covered some questions I would have asked but you could ask him what was his opinion of the Colonel and also Memphis Mafia members he came across .

Thanks

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Superb post Greybeard. Thanks. ::rocks

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:37 pm

He sure sounds like a man with a story to tell.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:26 am

SLGM - He is and please do not take my response wrong my friend. You know that we are friends and how much I respect you and what you do in Elvis' name.

Just thought I'd shed some light for those who do not know.