More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 6 months
Mood:

Re: FTD crack down on bad language?

Post by xmascarrol »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:Doc. This is the only Forum I belong to due to the fact its the best. I was just asking a question cause you have given soo much info on this forum since ive been here and probably well b4 I joined. I just wanted to know how did you come by all this info.
I'm just a crazy fan who reads a lot about Elvis, his life and his career, and I tend to remember it. I am also a keen researcher who tries very hard to post accurate information on FECC at all times. Plus, I have met several key people and made friends in the "Elvis World" who have been kind enough to share the many things that they know about him. And then I go out of my way to offer it here, when I can.

How cool is that?

::rocks
nothing wrong with that and thanks for answering my question Doc. thanks for all the great info but just going back to one thing, i still think its a man in a wig in the do the clam video lol.

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

AndrewJ
Registered for: 21 years

Post by AndrewJ »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan who reads a lot about Elvis, his life and his career, and I tend to remember it. I am also a keen researcher who tries very hard to post accurate information on FECC at all times. Plus, I have met several key people and made friends in the "Elvis World" who have been kind enough to share the many things that they know about him. And then I go out of my way to offer it here, when I can.

How cool is that?

I second YDKM - it is extremely cool!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

xmascarrol wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:Doc. This is the only Forum I belong to due to the fact its the best. I was just asking a question cause you have given soo much info on this forum since ive been here and probably well b4 I joined. I just wanted to know how did you come by all this info.

How cool is that?

nothing wrong with that and thanks for answering my question Doc. thanks for all the great info but just going back to one thing, i still think its a man in a wig in the do the clam video lol.
Was that you? ;-)

AndrewJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

How cool is that?

Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

I'm not all that crazy about Elvis fans referring to each other (potentially or not) as "pedantic". To the "average music fan", every last one of us is pedantic - a bunch of losers who want to hear the last scraps of a dead man's music.

If that strikes a chord (as it would with me), it's intentional - to show that a concept such as that is very relative.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm not a fan of editing. It's quite right that Elvis' death is the reason there's such an outtake interest, as Elvis himself isn't here to take the reins of his career and steer the fan base. It's also a VERY different world in some respects and who knows if/how his thoughts on any number of things would have changed by this point. Maybe so, maybe not. Anyway..

If the decision is to leave "blue" language off of the "Classic Albums", that's fine - at this point it's not exactly a steady decision since we've had so many releases with it left in and there can't be many left, but fine. I see blues artists and others with complete sessions released, and I think at some point (hopefully after the last few releases of "Classic Albums") they'll consider paying the same respect to Elvis' recorded history for those with a taste to listen. As I told John Jackson, it'll happen if I have to license the little b@$+ards myself, lol

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

Tornado
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Tornado »

drjohncarpenter wrote:In Elvis' lifetime some outtakes slipped out by accident or on purpose in the 1950s and 1960s, like "Old Shep," "Doncha Think It's Time," "(It's A) Long, Lonely Highway," "Crying In The Chapel" or "When It Rains It Really Pours," and in the 1970s the first two volumes of the Elvis: A Legendary Performer series included almost a half-dozen interesting, unreleased studio tracks: "I Love You Because," "Harbor Lights," "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You," "A Cane And A High-Starched Collar," and "Such A Night."

However, everything changed when we lost him in August 1977. In an instant Elvis went from a living, breathing artist to a figure of history. From that standpoint, as the years have passed and our understanding of what he did has grown, the desire to learn more has become paramount.

For example, historians in recent years found rough drafts of President Abraham Lincoln's crucial 1863 Gettysburg Address. Of course, it was not the speech he wanted to make, and indeed the final version was absolute perfection, but if it was private then, should it have remained out of the hearts and minds of people today? No. It's history, and such documents expand our knowledge of this great man and his indelible speech, one which in essence remade America.

Elvis' recordings changed everything, and fans young and old, new and long-suffering, deserve every opportunity to learn how the magic happened.

That said, the complete Presley sessions which have surfaced in the underground should stay there. Only the pedantic need apply. However, the painstaking and deliberate effort by RCA, and FTD in particular, to assemble and share alternates and outtakes in an intelligent, graceful and extremely classy fashion should be considered a godsend. Of particular note, Follow That Dream's "classic album" releases each have a story to tell, and do so in a manner befitting the greatest singer of the 20th century.

As the man himself once said, "You only pass through this life once, jack, you don't come back for an encore."

You got my vote

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!
Aren't we all.... :D

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

drjohncarpenter

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!
Some clearly a tad more than others. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!
How do i post a photo from my mobile to use on here as my avatar?

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:How do i post a photo from my mobile to use on here as my avatar?
Bit random.

How do I boil an egg?

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by joekro1977 »

I suppose it's the 12 year old in me that occasionally comes out, but I have always found the "blue" moments to be supremely entertaining and fun to listen to.

Generally, they occur in a context where our man is having a fun time. Laughing, joking, etc. These moments are all fun to listen to.

A personal favorite for me is Take 1 of "I'll Never Know" - first released on "Nashville Marathon"

I'm not sure who Elvis was referring to - but he comments "That sumbitch almost fell man, he leaned up against this f**king wall."

I suppose the Take is just a good without it - but it's just a little more fun with it.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

joekro1977 wrote:I suppose it's the 12 year old in me that occasionally comes out, but I have always found the "blue" moments to be supremely entertaining and fun to listen to.

Generally, they occur in a context where our man is having a fun time. Laughing, joking, etc. These moments are all fun to listen to.

A personal favorite for me is Take 1 of "I'll Never Know" - first released on "Nashville Marathon"

I'm not sure who Elvis was referring to - but he comments "That sumbitch almost fell man, he leaned up against this f**king wall."

I suppose the Take is just a good without it - but it's just a little more fun with it.
Exactly. It's just a little more fun with it. And that CHANGES things. It does now -- and it certainly did in the moment it was happening.

Leave it in. Leave it all in. What are you afraid of?

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!
Open the forum in a normal browser. And then just do it like in your PC or MAC. (Sometimes the window jumps around a bit on mobile. There are different browsers with which you can experiment. Apple app store, or Google Play. In a Windows device, it's all basically the same.)

Hope that helps.

As for Elvis and his "wishes," well, he should have thought of that before he threw his life away. I mean, seriously, if he would have been so concerned, he should have been more careful. It's not like he died in an accident, or of a disease like cancer, etc. It's not up to him because he's not here, and hasn't been here for a LONG time. Much too long.

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by xmascarrol »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

How cool is that?

Was that you? ;-)

AndrewJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

How cool is that?

Thanks.
Sorry Doc yea that was me :D

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!
Open the forum in a normal browser. And then just do it like in your PC or MAC. (Sometimes the window jumps around a bit on mobile. There are different browsers with which you can experiment. Apple app store, or Google Play. In a Windows device, it's all basically the same.)

Hope that helps.

As for Elvis and his "wishes," well, he should have thought of that before he threw his life away. I mean, seriously, if he would have been so concerned, he should have been more careful. It's not like he died in an accident, or of a disease like cancer, etc. It's not up to him because he's not here, and hasn't been here for a LONG time. Much too long.

rjm

Sent via mobile

You really think cause of death is a factor in this ?
He wasn't a criminal so his and his families wishes should come into it.
I am a hypocrite though as I want to hear it all.

norrie

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

joekro1977 wrote:I suppose it's the 12 year old in me that occasionally comes out, but I have always found the "blue" moments to be supremely entertaining and fun to listen to.

I'm another '12 year old then'...... :lol: :lol:

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm just a crazy fan
At last the truth!

Hope that helps.

rjm

Sent via mobile
So, RJM, if you happen to die of alcoholic poisoning, everything you said and did in your private life, while at work etc, would become public. That's ok with you, is it? You family wouldn't have a say.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for Elvis and his "wishes," well, he should have thought of that before he threw his life away. I mean, seriously, if he would have been soconcerned, he should have been more careful. It's not like he died in an accident, or of a disease like cancer, etc. It's not up to him because he's not here, and hasn't been here for a LONG time. Much too long.
So, RJM, if you happen to die of alcoholic poisoning, everything you said and did in your private life, while at work etc, would become public. That's ok with you, is it? You family wouldn't have a say.
Only if she had recorded "Mystery Train" at Sun in July 1955. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

I may edit this later and add to or take away because I am typing on a phone from a hospital bed. But this entire topic has bothered me for a lot of reasons. I cannot go into all at the moment but for starters. The FTD label was created to be sort of an Official bootleg series of releases for the die hard fans, y'know crazy fans like the Doc and myself and supposedly like a lot of you all. Ernst better than anyone has taken care of the mainstream releases getting them all back out there for casual or accidentaly fans or curious passerbys. However he lovingly created this label for us the would be buyers of bootleg material that seek to understand the man, his art, his bigger than life personality and talent. I cannot speak for everone of you here but only for myself. I am a friend of Elvis. I love Elvis unconditionally. I love to share in the behind the scene antics to laugh with Elvis, to get mad with Elvis, to cry with Elvis and to sometimes curse with Elvis or cuss, whichever you prefer. Should the off color remarks and so called bad words be all over the mainsream? No. But should they be left on the FTD collector's discs...yes.

For the guy who is afraid his kid or family is going to hear something that would be embarasseing or offensive or not setting a good example for them. This special insight that you paid high dollars for is for you the friend to let you in the Elvis circle. Not for them and to be heard by eveyone. Play the bountiful cds we have of all the masters or compilations around them. What I am saying is these discs are special (not canonical if you will). I guess the problem with a distributor like Graceland as may some have so easily fail into wrong hands. They have gained mass popularity. Over the last few years, especially since becoming a 9 inch with a booklet and nice presentation they are so attractive that for that fact alone people are willing to purchase them thinking they are less than what they actually are.
If this presentation had been used just for the masters and bonus songs added to the appropriate place in history and kept in the mainstream Best buys, Walmarts, music shops they would be what the majority of music consumers want to put on top ot the dresser and not hidden in the bottom of a drawer for one's own personal pleasure.

Ernst's pet grew into and spurred more unigue ways of presenting Elvis than RCA, BMG and sony ever thought of. Those companies owe Ernst A LOT.
Now with that said our inner circle has way too many people involved for us to be able to sit in the studio and enjoy our friend perform, cut up and be relaxed with us. The way to change this is to circulate these in brown paper and only to the trusted few. Those that will proect our man from those with weaker faith. Because I do not want everyone to hear and be exposed to a bad light. However I want to be in the inner circle of the trusted and attend every session I can listening to every perfection there is to hear as well as the HUMAN Elvis getting there whatever fashion he does and then leave together and tell Elvis how he cracked me up with some comment he made following a certain take...more thoughts to be added..If I were home I would have written all my thoughts at once. Sorry .more to come...thanks for the well wishes. I just wish there were a way for me to be in that circle with Ernst and others and hear all he has so this subject were never an issue and I had access to these fly on the wall experiencess that haven't beeen edited out. I thought I had essential Elvis 4 until a new friend I had met told me about the scissors that had been used. Personally I would have never released "Ode To A Robin" but would have it kept among the inner circle of trusted Elvis Fans.....more later
Last edited by Deke Rivers II on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Polk Salad Andy

Post by Polk Salad Andy »

Oh dear. Suppose there's no hope of them releasing "Hurt" (Take 69) any time soon then. :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Deke Rivers II wrote:I may edit this later and add to or take away because I am typing on a phone from a hospital bed. But this entire topic has bothered me for a lot of reasons. I cannot go into all at the moment but for starters. The FTD label was created to be sort of an Official bootleg series of releases for the die hard fans, y'know crazy fans like the Doc and myself and supposedly like a lot of you all. Ernst better than anyone has taken care of the mainstream releases getting them all back out there for casual or accidentaly fans or curious passerbys. However he lovingly created this label for us the would be buyers of bootleg material that seek to understand the man, his art, his bigger than life personality and talent. I cannot speak for everone of you here but only for myself. I am a friend of Elvis. I love Elvis unconditionally. I love to share in the behind the scene antics to laugh with Elvis, to get mad with Elvis, to cry with Elvis and to sometimes curse with Elvis or cuss, whichever you prefer. Should the off color remarks and so called bad words be all over the mainsream? No. But should they be left on the FTD collector's discs...yes.
The key to your statement is the part highlighted. "Sort of" means you understand Follow That Dream is still an official imprint.

Ernst and his FTD team still work at the behest of RCA and Sony Music, and if someone above indicates certain conversations are not for official release, that's the end of the discussion. Period. And, trust me, they do listen to the discs.

That said, no one can argue the FTD releases are anything but classy, well-compiled collections of Elvis' finest work, in the finest-ever quality, and geared for the die-hard fan, but still listenable albums that may appeal to someone newer to the game, or interested in digging more deeply for the first time.

P.S. I am sorry to read you are in a hospital bed. I hope you are getting better each day!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Deke Rivers II wrote:I may edit this later and add to or take away because I am typing on a phone from a hospital bed. But this entire topic has bothered me for a lot of reasons. I cannot go into all at the moment but for starters. The FTD label was created to be sort of an Official bootleg series of releases for the die hard fans, y'know crazy fans like the Doc and myself and supposedly like a lot of you all. Ernst better than anyone has taken care of the mainstream releases getting them all back out there for casual or accidentaly fans or curious passerbys. However he lovingly created this label for us the would be buyers of bootleg material that seek to understand the man, his art, his bigger than life personality and talent. I cannot speak for everone of you here but only for myself. I am a friend of Elvis. I love Elvis unconditionally. I love to share in the behind the scene antics to laugh with Elvis, to get mad with Elvis, to cry with Elvis and to sometimes curse with Elvis or cuss, whichever you prefer. Should the off color remarks and so called bad words be all over the mainsream? No. But should they be left on the FTD collector's discs...yes.
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this. What WE want is not anything to do with it. Elvis recorded music. He did not, at the same time, give us a right to invasion of privacy. Releasing the outtakes is, arguably, that in itself. As Scotty Moore said in the quote I pasted earlier, Elvis would not have been happy with the release of outtakes. To then put out there for all to hear Elvis swearing, cursing and making off-colour jokes in private is simply an invasion of his privacy. If he made them on stage, well that's a bit different as he said them in public. But he had a right to work how he wanted to work in the studio and say what he wanted to say without the risk of people seeing and hearing what he got up to aside from the finished product. On the one hand many people are worried about surveillance cameras, and government phone records etc, and on the other think its fine to listen in to private conversations. It's the equivalent of having your phone bugged and then the conversation posted on youtube. If people love Elvis enough to want to laugh with him and cry with him, then they should also love him enough to respect him as a human being and therefore allow him his privacy.

Hope you get well soon.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Yeah,hope it's not too serious Deke.Get well soon.

On the topic,Do EPE have a say ? I know they don't own the catalogue or tapes but I suppose Sony, Ernst and his team would like some sort of working relationship with EPE and Elvis' family and of course FTD material is sold at Graceland.Maybe a polite request was made from EPE to Sony management to cut out such language after hearing some that had escaped onto FTD ?
Just a thought.

norrie

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

poormadpeter wrote:So, RJM, if you happen to die of alcoholic poisoning
Wow, didn't see that comin'.
poormadpeter wrote:Elvis recorded music. He did not, at the same time, give us a right to invasion of privacy. Releasing the outtakes is, arguably, that in itself.
Agreed. Of course, the genie is now well and truly out of the bottle, the many rough sketches dillute the majesty of the masterpieces.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

mike edwards66 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:So, RJM, if you happen to die of alcoholic poisoning
Wow, didn't see that comin'.
poormadpeter wrote:Elvis recorded music. He did not, at the same time, give us a right to invasion of privacy. Releasing the outtakes is, arguably, that in itself.
Agreed. Of course, the genie is now well and truly out of the bottle, the many rough sketches dillute the majesty of the masterpieces.
I tend to agree with that. It's nice to have them, but I think things were better when they were cherry-picked for being special in some way. Now, as with the retail catalogue, there is so much material it's hard to wade through it. As I wrote elsewhere...

http://silentmovieblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/reconsider-baby-elvis-presley-and-the-dangers-of-the-posthumous-album/