Jailhouse Rock DVD??

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

genesim

Post by genesim »

Ahh Tulsa you did some background on me huh.

By the way, what the hell are you talking about on Jailhouse Rock. It is a 16x9 true widescreen transfer. I see no Panning other then natural camera movement. I have the original version. If you want the pan and scan flip over the disc. Full screen is just that PAN AND SCAN.

I already did the AB test. Sorry, but this is the original aspect ratio of the movie that our grandparents saw in theatres. Though I can't PROVE it, cause I wasn't there, and I doubt my grandparents would have remembered anyway. All I know is there is more there, then the full screen version.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

jeffreyjames

Post by jeffreyjames »

There is always more in the widescreen versions. That is the full on screen film. You never get that with pan and scan. I will never buy anything that is not widescreen. Why buy a movie and not get the whole movie?

jeff R

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

sam wrote:He was acting in colour, so I think we should be able to see him in colour.:
Clever observation, Sam.
True.

Life is in color!

Some film simply is not.

I have no problem with colorizing b&w movies. Aarghh, the sacraliege!
The only common mistake I've noticed with colorized old movies is that whenever someone opens their mouth, the inside is still b&w greyscale.

Topic author
see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

tulsa1960 wrote:the widescreen version is used from the old pan and scan where the camera moves from side to side.
the orignal has the full screen and doesn't move from side to side.
for instance the pan and scan can be seen best when the warden is telling him the rules. its all on the warden and not ep till it moves over to him when he says yes.
The DVD version I've got has the warden and Elvis.

Topic author
see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

sam wrote:Because Pal kinda looks better than NTSC and because that is our system in this country.
Why collect NTSC when it is not our system and doesn't look as good?
PAL has more resolution.
Hi Sam! Well, I don't want to disappoint you but I'm afraid that unless they do a real re-mastered version from the original material the only PAL version You'll get will be a transfer from the NTSC version.

The result is a PAL version that runs the ususal 4-5% faster than the "orignal" NTSC version because of the different frame rates of both systems. The old versions of TTWII on VHS and "The Lost Performances" are good examples. Check "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" or "Bridge". They're both running much too fast almost changing the pitches.

Also, most DVD-players/TVs play NTSC either. So it's a good alternative to buy the NTSC version rather than a badly transferred PAL version.

Topic author
Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

The laser disc version that I had of Jailhouse Rock had less image than my old vhs copy,it was fake widescreen,which I hate.

So,is the DVD version a true widescreen version?

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

I have the original US region 1 DVD of “Jailhouse Rock” and that featured the original wide screen print on one side of the disc, and the pan and scan version on the other. These days they could probably fit both versions of the film on regular 1 sided DVD, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they will.

tulsa1960

Post by tulsa1960 »

is the i want to be free scene an the punishment scene full screen like in the color ized version or are they cropped parts missing?

sam

Post by sam »

Hi Sam! Well, I don't want to disappoint you but I'm afraid that unless they do a real re-mastered version from the original material the only PAL version You'll get will be a transfer from the NTSC version.

The result is a PAL version that runs the ususal 4-5% faster than the "orignal" NTSC version because of the different frame rates of both systems. The old versions of TTWII on VHS and "The Lost Performances" are good examples. Check "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" or "Bridge". They're both running much too fast almost changing the pitches.

Also, most DVD-players/TVs play NTSC either. So it's a good alternative to buy the NTSC version rather than a badly transferred PAL version.
One has to have good ears to notice the speed up on most DVD releases, it's not very noticeable, especially when it has been pitch corrected. But I am not up with all the technicalities on this subject, but when you've lived with PAL all your life you're used to the sound.
I have a couple of NTSC discs and the picture quality is not very good, now this just might be the source material but I think I'll stick with PAL.

R.I.P 01-24-08

In memory of everyones favorite Elvis friend: Sam

From the Members of the FECC FORUM
& The FECC Team

sam

Post by sam »

The other DVD's of Elvis' movies released here have had excellent sound and video, to my ears and eyes.

8)

R.I.P 01-24-08

In memory of everyones favorite Elvis friend: Sam

From the Members of the FECC FORUM
& The FECC Team

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

tulsa1960 wrote:the widescreen version is used from the old pan and scan where the camera moves from side to side.

I assume you are talking about the MGM DVD. If you are suggesting that the Widescreen version on Side A of the disc is just the pan & scan from Side B that is cropped top & bottom to make it 16x9, then you are wrong.

As an example, take a look at the start of Chapter 5 where Elvis is sitting at a bar. The pan & scan only shows two characters on the screen, but five people can be seen sitting along the length of the bar on the Widescreen version.

Chris

genesim

Post by genesim »

Yes yes Chris, we love our widescreen 16x9 enhanced with ketchup.

I personally think it is a shock that MGM would make a 16x9 enhanced pitcure. COOL!

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana