Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Let's Talk Jackie Wilson...

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am

I know Elvis loved Jackie Wilson, going all the way back to when he heard him with Billy Ward's Dominoes in Las Vegas in 1956 I've recently listened to the 7 Classic Albums - Jackie Wilson collection and really enjoyed it. It's my opinion that Jackie is one of the greatest yet under-appreciated performers of his time. Does anyone else listen to Jackie Wilson? Can we give Jackie some love on this forum?

Re: Let's Talk Jackie Wilson...

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Let's Workout on this board...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WXZmjUtlJw

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Didn't Elvis see him perform in 1966? Also in the audience that night, reportedly, was a young Van Morrison, did they ever meet?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:47 pm

sherrlon12 wrote:I know Elvis loved Jackie Wilson, going all the way back to when he heard him with Billy Ward's Dominoes in Las Vegas in 1956 I've recently listened to the 7 Classic Albums - Jackie Wilson collection and really enjoyed it. It's my opinion that Jackie is one of the greatest yet under-appreciated performers of his time. Does anyone else listen to Jackie Wilson? Can we give Jackie some love on this forum?

Here's Jackie doing "Rags To Riches" in 1953 :

phpBB [video]

Billy Ward & His Dominoes (lead vocal, Jackie Wilson) - "Rags To Riches" - King single 1280 - Issued November 1953

When Clyde McPhatter was fired from The Dominoes in 1953, and went on to form The Drifters, Jackie Wilson was his replacement. "Rags To Riches" was the second Dominoes single featuring him as a part of the group, and their first on the King label (their previous singles had appeared on the Federal imprint).
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 pm

YES! Jackie and Sam Cooke, 2 of my favorites. I play them all the time.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Jackie Wilson is also one of my favourite singer/performers. Love his version of 'To Be Loved'.

Interestingly, his biggest hit 'Reet Petite' first appeared in the UK charts on 15th November, 1957 and reached No.6. It stayed in the charts for 14 weeks.
However, it was re-issued in 1986 and went to No.1 staying in the charts for 17 weeks. The video used to publicize the 1986 single proved to be popular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3-NnNx6Zs

The following will also give you some idea of what made him famous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb9y1PTqa4c

Brian 8)
Last edited by Brian Quinn on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:42 pm

its said he was on the set for Return to sender but when you see an audience shot i could not see him

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:57 pm

robbie wrote:its said he was on the set for Return to sender but when you see an audience shot i could not see him

Maybe he was just behind the cameras with the crew.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Elvis' Rags To Riches has much more in common with Jackie than Tony Bennett. This version is very evident in EP's later version.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 am

A truly underappreciated talent!!! He was fabulous!!! Too bad he had a heart attack on stage in '75 on stage doing what he loved......he died many years later.....didn't Elvis give his wife $100,000 for his care?..................

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 am

I heard Elvis paid a lot of his medical bills and ensure his room was stocked with candy and flowers for his visitors. Jackie was one of a kind. It's fun hearing Elvis go on and on on the Million Dollar Quartet about his hearing him singing in Vegas and how he sang Don't Be Cruel.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 am

There was an ABC special in say 72 pr so that featured several rock and roll greats including Jackie. I have to say he was simply amazing as a live performer.you couldnt take your eyes of off him. james brown, jackie and elvis were cut from the same cloth. Versatile dynamic performers.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 am

I love his song, "It Only Happens When I Look at You."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaMtPfGJYe0

I read somewhere that Elvis' moves on Return to Sender in Girls, Girls, Girls were inspired by Jackie and were done as a sort of tribute to jackie Wilson.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 pm

robbie wrote:its said he was on the set for Return to sender but when you see an audience shot i could not see him

The shot of Elvis leaving the stage and going among the audience in this scene may not have immediately followed his performance(s) of Return to Sender. This segment comprises of a few angles which would have been filmed separately, with Elvis probably running through the full song at least once, then edits being composited appropriately. In this respect, Jackie needn't have been in the "audience" because a scene of this nature isn't necessarily filmed the same way a true live performance is.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 pm

fn2drive wrote:There was an ABC special in say 72 pr so that featured several rock and roll greats including Jackie. I have to say he was simply amazing as a live performer.you couldnt take your eyes of off him. james brown, jackie and elvis were cut from the same cloth. Versatile dynamic performers.

I believe that was The Midnight Special's tribute to rock and roll. It also featured Roy Orbison and Del Shannon if I remember correctly among others.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am

Here's a good story from 20/20. He mentions Elvis after a question at the 14:07 mark.

Interviewer: Let me ask you this question, then. If you were a disc jockey for one hour, and I put you in a studio to play records and, uh, I said I'd give you a stack of one type of music or one type of performer you could play for an hour. What would that performer, who would you play for one solid hour?

Jackie: Elvis Presley

Interviewer: Elvis Presley!

Jackie: Yes, sir.

Interviewer: That's interesting. Why, why would it be Elvis Presley?

Jackie: 'cause he's a very good friend of mine. I know a lot about him. I could talk a lot about him. In, in, in, a very nice way.

Interviewer: Right.

Jackie: He, um, well, he also did me a great favor once. I was in Hollywood, California and I was playing a club called The Trip and we were having a little difficulty getting people to come out, you know, at that particular time. So, he came out twice for me and, well, you couldn't get in. And they said, "If Elvis goes, then he must be - hey, let us go, man".

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 am

r&b wrote:
fn2drive wrote:There was an ABC special in say 72 pr so that featured several rock and roll greats including Jackie. I have to say he was simply amazing as a live performer.you couldnt take your eyes of off him. james brown, jackie and elvis were cut from the same cloth. Versatile dynamic performers.

I believe that was The Midnight Special's tribute to rock and roll. It also featured Roy Orbison and Del Shannon if I remember correctly among others.

Here's the ad i have but my memory isnt clear whether it was what you suggest or this. I do recall that Midnight Special was NBC and the ahow i recall was ABC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:43 pm

fn2drive wrote:
r&b wrote:

Here's the ad i have but my memory isnt clear whether it was what you suggest or this. I do recall that Midnight Special was NBC and the ahow i recall was ABC.

Its been so many years and I havent seen that show rerun or appear on DVD anywhere, but I do recall Chubby Checker & The Coasters being on there as well, so maybe this is the ad for that show. I just seem to recall Midnight Special doing a tribute show to the old rock and rollers during the 50's revival in the early 70's, either 1972 or 73. Those 2 years it seems everyone was loving the 50's again.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

sherrlon12 wrote:I read somewhere that Elvis' moves on Return to Sender in Girls, Girls, Girls were inspired by Jackie and were done as a sort of tribute to jackie Wilson.

And here you´ll find the beautiful Elvis tribute to Jackie Wilson 8). What a great looking guy was Elvis in 1962. But not only the looks, count in the moves, the style etc as well. Wow! :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:56 am

Jackie Wilson is one of the greatest talents in all of rock'n'soul. The public mostly remembers him for "Higher and Higher," but that is the tip of the iceberg. His voice was genuinely operatic (as demonstrated in songs like "Night"), and, in terms of technique, superior to that of Elvis. Out of all of his contemporaries, Elvis was most like Jackie. They shared many of the same influences (Roy Hamilton, Mario Lanza, and Roy Brown) and had similar tastes. (Though not similar moves--though some like to claim that Elvis copied Jackie, he doesn't use any of Wilson's signature stage tricks.) Both ranged widely among genres--like Elvis, Jackie was equally at home in pop, blues, soul, and pseudo-operatic pop; he didn't try Country, but he did get away with singing "My Yiddishe Momma"!
There's also a little Elvis reference in one of Jackie's lesser known (but wonderful) songs, "Love Train," where Jackie sings that he's "going to check into the heartbreak hotel."

When it came to ballads, Elvis and Jackie's tastes especially coincide: each recorded versions of "Rags to Riches," "Pledging My Love," "You'll Never Walk Alone," "Danny Boy," "You Don't Know Me," "Blue Moon," and "I Believe." According to Peter Guralnick, one of Jackie's versions of "Danny Boy" (he recorded three) inspired Elvis's take on the song. Here's Jackie's second version, which has syrupy orchestration but his most powerful vocal:

phpBB [video]

Elvis knew he couldn't directly compete, so he resourcefully filled in the parts Jackie left open. Whereas Jackie ends the song on "Say an ave there for me," turning the line into a showcase of vocal acrobatics, Elvis saves his effort until the final verse, which Wilson left out, and starts building with "And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me." Like Wilson, he ends with a falsetto, but on a far more subdued note. It's an enlightening lesson in how to compete with a singer whose technique is unmatchable.

One last note: all of Jackie's albums were released on CD in Britain a decade ago. Many forum members are probably familiar with Jackie's earlier hits, but if you'd like to hear some buried treasures, get the CD that combines his early 70s albums This Love Is Real and You Got Me Walking (http://www.amazon.com/This-Love-Real-You-Walking/dp/B00000IO74)--both feature beautifully produced, contemporary soul played by Motown's Funk Brothers. Jackie's last two albums, Beautiful Day and Nobody But You are also winners, and show that his untimely demise couldn't have come at a worse time.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:45 am

Revelator wrote: According to Peter Guralnick, one of Jackie's versions of "Danny Boy" (he recorded three) inspired Elvis's take on the song.

I doubt that was the case. Elvis had been singing Danny Boy pretty much the same way since the 50's:

phpBB [video]

P.S. Jackie was great, no doubt about that.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 am

Mike Windgren wrote:And here you´ll find the beautiful Elvis tribute to Jackie Wilson
phpBB [video]

And here's his just as beautiful tribute to Chubby Checker:
phpBB [video]

:wink:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 am

sherrlon12 wrote:I know Elvis loved Jackie Wilson, going all the way back to when he heard him with Billy Ward's Dominoes in Las Vegas in 1956 I've recently listened to the 7 Classic Albums - Jackie Wilson collection and really enjoyed it. It's my opinion that Jackie is one of the greatest yet under-appreciated performers of his time. Does anyone else listen to Jackie Wilson? Can we give Jackie some love on this forum?

Jackie Wilson is one of the all-time great rock and r&B singers and performers. He blew Elvis away before they had even met, in November 1956, when Presley attended several Las Vegas shows by Billy Ward and His Dominoes. Young Wilson was a member of the group, and he did a Presley tribute that included rearranged versions of "Don't Be Cruel" and "Paralyzed" that Elvis immediately adapted to his own live performances.

Listen to his awe on the 12-04-1956 "Million Dollar Quartet" jam session, describing, and then singing out to the assembled, what he heard and witnessed. Or revisit the incredible 12-15-1956 "Louisiana Hayride" benefit show for the officially "Wilson-ized" versions of the above-mentioned songs. Or again watch the 1-06-1957 "Ed Sullivan Show" appearance, one Jackie no doubt saw, where Elvis again paid homage to Jackie's wonderful interpretation of "Don't Be Cruel" ("At least please, a-telly-phone!")

570106_Don't Be Cruel_Ed Sullivan_NewYork.JPG

No, this is untrue, but Elvis' performance of "Return to Sender" is a direct tribute to Wilson's stage movements. According to this wonderful Jackie Wilson blog, he returned the compliment more than once, on record ("Love Train" by Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott) and in film ("Lonely Life" from the film "Teenage Millionaire"):

Elvis Presley | Jackie Wilson Lovers
http://jackiewilsonlover.wordpress.com/category/elvis-presley/

daylon wrote:Didn't Elvis see him perform in 1966? Also in the audience that night, reportedly, was a young Van Morrison, did they ever meet?

Van Morrison? At the Trip? No. He'd finished a two-week run with Them at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go in mid-June, and headed north to do shows in the SF area by the time Jackie hit town.

It's unclear how many times in the 1960s Elvis saw Jackie in concert, but he definitely caught shows at "The Trip" on 8572 Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, right next to the Playboy Club building.

660100_The Trip_West Hollywood.JPG
http://rockprosopography101.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-west-hollywood-ca-1965-1966.html
http://martinostimemachine.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-1965-valentine-and-partners-opened.html

Wilson was booked there from June 30-July 10, 1966, and after Elvis made a few visits there, Jackie went to standing-room only crowds. He was forever grateful for that. Elvis was making "Double Trouble" at MGM and invited Jackie to visit.

660700_w Jackie Wilson_Culver City_MGM_01.JPG

660700_w Jackie Wilson_Culver City_MGM_02.JPG

The autograph on the second image reads "To Jackie, You got yourself a friend for life. Elvis Presley." Wilson apparently carried this photo in his wallet until his illness. Jackie also saw Elvis perform, for example he attended both shows on 8-20-1974 in Las Vegas, and said hello backstage.

740820_w Jackie Wilson_Las Vegas Hilton.JPG

Barbie wrote:A truly underappreciated talent!!! He was fabulous!!! Too bad he had a heart attack on stage in '75 on stage doing what he loved......he died many years later.....didn't Elvis give his wife $100,000 for his care?..................

It is unclear who helped pay Wilson's bills (Dick Clark is often mentioned), but after Jackie's September 29, 1975 heart attack, friend and DJ George Klein got Presley's attention. In his autobiography, George recalls being instructed by the singer to "make sure Jackie got everything he needed," including fresh flowers each week, and his room stocked with candy and magazines for any visitors. When Jackie's mom died on October 16, 1975, one of her granddaughters, Jackie's eldest child, Jaqueline, spoke to the Baltimore Afro-American a week later. When asked about reaction and concern from members of the entertainment field, "She specifically named Elvis Presley, James Brown and Dick Clark." (Saturday, November 1, 1975 p2).

---

sherrlon12, I hope you find this fulsome reply a whole lotta LOVE for the great JACKIE WILSON!!

::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 am

mike edwards66 wrote:I doubt that was the case. Elvis had been singing Danny Boy pretty much the same way since the 50's

I'm not so sure, for a couple of reasons. The first is that Jackie Wilson's first major version of Danny Boy was also cut in the 50s, and can be found on his 1958 debut album He's So Fine, which Elvis quite likely owned. If memory serves, Elvis's home recording of the song dates from after the album's release.
Beyond that, there are differences between the home recording and '76 version that might date to the influence of Wilson's 65 version, most notably the fact that Elvis sings "down" in deeper and more prolonged way in his official recording--just as Wilson did. The falsetto at the end is also more pronounced in '76.
Here is Jackie's 1958 version--Elvis's home recording share some similarities in its phrasing:

phpBB [video]

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks a lot, Doc, for the information and the beautiful pictures. The last one, in color, from 1974, I liked the best, how cool Elvis looked in blue jeans!