Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 pm

James Burton posted this message on his Facebook page this morning...

I will NOT be on the Dennis Jale & TCB Cruise September 2014 with Red West.

I have always enjoyed performing with Dennis and all the guys. No one could ask for a better person to work with.
I would like to say that as a Christian, I forgave Red West for writing his book years ago. This has nothing to do with forgiveness.
I also respected him for going ahead with his life and becoming a great actor and was excited to see him in movies and TV. I wish him ALL OF GOD's BLESSINGS.

I do think anyone who wrote a terrible book about another person should not be making money off of that person.

Please note that Ronnie, Glen and I have NEVER written a "TELL ALL" book about the hundreds of artists that we have worked for.
We still could and would make thousands of dollars from this type of book. I would NEVER become this low of a person.
This would NOT be pleasing to GOD.

I do NOT work with people that do anything negative against Elvis. Please understand that Elvis was my FRIEND, not just another artist
that I have worked with. I know how EXTREMELY STRESSED Elvis was before this book came out.
At the funeral, the people I spoke to were blaming this book for Elvis' death and said his high stress level added to his fatal heart attack.
I am sure if someone did something negative to you, your family or your friends you would feel the same way, especially if death was the end result.

I feel we ALL should be loyal to Elvis (not Red West), but that's everyone's own choice.

GOD BLESS YOU

James Burton.
Last edited by Mark Nicholson on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks, James. You speak for a lot of people who feel the same.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm

It's refreshing to see after all of these years that James stands by his friend. That is not a common trait especially when money is involved. TCB James!

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Just so everyone here is aware, I will NOT take a cruise with anyone on this board who says anything negative about Elvis, either.

I will forgive you, but no boat ride.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Rob wrote:Just so everyone here is aware, I will NOT take a cruise with anyone on this board who says anything negative about Elvis, either.

You lil' ole Riverboat Gambler, you.

That said I won't go on a cruise with Elvis either.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Wow, I've wouldn't have expected that. Sounds like James has taken a stance and by reading the postings on his FB page, many will not be going on this cruise as well.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:26 pm

That is a true friend.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Bless him.

And, Rob, that made me laugh ! :)

Dan.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Elvis should have spent more time with people like James, rather than those he chose to have around him.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I could do without the god stuff, but fair play to the bloke. Seems there is a bit of integrity about in the Elvis world after all.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Congratulations James Burton!

Perfect words, especially this: "I do think anyone who wrote a terrible book about another person should not be making money off of that person."

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Wow!

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:39 pm

great guitar player...and a great friend for sure
Thanks James for your thoughs...and for having the balls to say it 8)

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Bill Tanner wrote:I could do without the god stuff, but fair play to the bloke. Seems there is a bit of integrity about in the Elvis world after all.

Too bad there isn't a little more God stuff in the world today, morally speaking.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:46 pm

I just wonder why it took him almost 37 years to speak up? Image

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I just wonder why it took him almost 37 years to speak up?

I was thinking the same and how James said it, was even more surprising.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I remember one think: that Elvis offered in October 1976 to Red, Sonny and Dave 50.000 $ to each one, an education allowance regarding a future work. So, it was Vernon's fault that he fired them offering in July 1976 one week's pay. Elvis sad to Red in October in their telephone conversation that he didn't knew about that. Maybe we'll never find the whole truth.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Bill Tanner wrote:I could do without the god stuff, but fair play to the bloke. Seems there is a bit of integrity about in the Elvis world after all.

Too bad there isn't a little more God stuff in the world today, morally speaking.

Huh? I think there's plenty of God stuff in the world today. Maybe not your God but there's plenty of God stuff.

A whopping 84% of the world population has faith and a third of that is Christian!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wat ... rd-are-ch/

But there's evidence that the least religious countries are also the happiest:

http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/the-w ... gious.aspx :wink:

Back on topic: I think James Burton's message is very sweet. I don't particularly agree with him regarding Red West (considering what we know now) but I respect his opinion regarding the cruise. He's doing what he feels is the right thing. I'm happy he made a statement. That took a lot of courage.

BTW: I recently re-read "Elvis: What Happened" for the first time since 1977. When I first read it when I was 11 I was horrified. I was convinced that the book was filled with vicious lies and I hated Red, Sonny and Dave Hebler for spreading such lies. Now, 36 years later, the book seems fairly tame. Other than the lousy writing by Steve Dunleavy we now know that much of the book was true.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I just wonder why it took him almost 37 years to speak up?

I was thinking the same and how James said it, was even more surprising.

Simple...because is the first time in 37 years that JB would have been with RW in a same Elvis tribute...

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Rob wrote:Just so everyone here is aware, I will NOT take a cruise with anyone on this board who says anything negative about Elvis, either.

I will take a cruise with anyone on this board who says anything negative about Elvis. And when we're a good distance from shore I'll throw their sorry, disrespectful a$$es overboard! So you negative, sorry, disrespectful b*stards best be takin' you some swimmin' lessons!

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 pm

I don't really understand this attitude.

You could argue that Priscilla's book and some of the things she has done are far worse but most people kiss her ass.

James Burton forgives Red but Red didn't do anything to him personally.

It was 37 years ago let it go.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 pm

brian wrote:I don't really understand this attitude.

You could argue that Priscilla's book and some of the things she has done are far worse but most people kiss her ass.

James Burton forgives Red but Red didn't do anything to him personally.

It was 37 years ago let it go.

Elvis was James Burton's "friend." That means more to some people then others.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 pm

stevelecher wrote:

Oh, there's plenty of god stuff about. There are gods everywhere, all over the world. I kinda like Thor. Which one's your favourite?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Red was hurt badly by Vernon in 1976 and by the Colonel in 1967 (the Vegas wedding). So he was angry and saw how Elvis, his high school friend went to a tragic decline. He tried to stop him, but he was fired-for that-not for cutting expenses or lawsuits.