Elvis Destination USA New FTD

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Re: Elvis Destination USA New FTD

Post by elvisjock »

If Elvis would get off his ass and cut some new records, we wouldn't have these problems. Damn you, Elvis!

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

whatsupdoc
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by whatsupdoc »

I hope someone at FTD takes the effort to correct the spelling errors before the final artwork is printed. Very annoying and bound to happen again and again if FTD keeps letting non native speakers provide English texts for their artwork without having it proofread by someone who has English as a first language.

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Johnny2523 wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Is disc 1 pro recorded multi-track? If so, I'll buy. If not, pass.
No its a soundboard (most likely a reel-to-reel) you can expect it to be in better sound.. this source is different then A Hilton Double Shot.. Also Sprach Zarathustra runs longer on this FTD and the closing vamp is shorter on this FTD which indicates a different source
Hope you're right about reel-to-reel——> just listened to HILTON DOUBLE SHOT - and it's a good concert. Not his best but VERY enjoyable.

If FTD have got better sound then this is a winner.

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

jon_burrows
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by jon_burrows »

WMarkJ wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:Great Cover!
I would have called it "Destination Vegas" though.
The emphasis with the title is from perspective of 200 fans from UK coming across the pond.
The naming must surely come from the October '72 edition of the British 'Elvis Presley Fan Club Magazine' in which there was a topic titled "Destination USA 1972" with stories from the British OEPFC members trip to USA and In particular Vegas including their subsequent meeting with Elvis. Rita Overhead had some stories to tell of the trip. I'm wondering if hers and other fans' stories will be included in the accompanying booklet.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Tony.. wrote:So a few more 'bits n pieces' from the february '72 multi-track recordings?!? These are now spread around on several different releases, including "Writing for the King", "The sound of your cry" (the name given to an LP released in the UK in 1981 featuring a hotch potch of hits and live rarities), "American trilogy" (the name given to an FTD CD featuring bits and pieces of february 1972 multi track recordings and parts of that season's opening night concert), "Burning love" (the name given to a CD featuring material from 1972, including bits and pieces from the february 1972 Las Vegas multi track recordings), "Standing room only" (FTD CD in 7" packaging, featuring all the masters yet again and more bits and pieces from the february 1972 Las Vegas multi track recordings). It would be nice to have them all in one place. Maybe that is for a future FTD when they mop them all up into one FTD, thereby giving them a chance to re-release every song from there again.....
I am in total agreement with you, Tony. Elvis: Las Vegas, Feb. '72, (The Complete Masters) cries out for a future FTD release.

JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JEFF d »

I will be getting this IF it is in fact a sound upgrade. This FTD has very good artwork, but how I wish they had also included an unreleased concert from '72 also on the second disc.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

jon_burrows wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:Great Cover!
I would have called it "Destination Vegas" though.
The emphasis with the title is from perspective of 200 fans from UK coming across the pond.
The naming must surely come from the October '72 edition of the British 'Elvis Presley Fan Club Magazine' in which there was a topic titled "Destination USA 1972" with stories from the British OEPFC members trip to USA and In particular Vegas including their subsequent meeting with Elvis. Rita Overhead had some stories to tell of the trip. I'm wondering if hers and other fans' stories will be included in the accompanying booklet.
Oh, that's cool to know. Thanks, I withdraw my title comment :)

Bill

Post by Bill »

My original boot of "I'll Remember You" from Rock legends labels this concert as August 15, 1972, midnight. I'm now assuming that this was incorrect?
Thanks
Bill

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Tony.. wrote:So a few more 'bits n pieces' from the february '72 multi-track recordings?!? These are now spread around on several different releases, including "Writing for the King", "The sound of your cry" (the name given to an LP released in the UK in 1981 featuring a hotch potch of hits and live rarities), "American trilogy" (the name given to an FTD CD featuring bits and pieces of february 1972 multi track recordings and parts of that season's opening night concert), "Burning love" (the name given to a CD featuring material from 1972, including bits and pieces from the february 1972 Las Vegas multi track recordings), "Standing room only" (FTD CD in 7" packaging, featuring all the masters yet again and more bits and pieces from the february 1972 Las Vegas multi track recordings). It would be nice to have them all in one place. Maybe that is for a future FTD when they mop them all up into one FTD, thereby giving them a chance to re-release every song from there again.....
I want to see all of the multi-track February 14-17 live recordings, all with excellent sound on its own FTD some day. The sound mix on Writing For the King is terrible and The Sound of Your Cry is quite poor too. Plus, the sound mix on American Trilogy was a little flat.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Bill wrote:My original boot of "I'll Remember You" from Rock legends labels this concert as August 15, 1972, midnight. I'm now assuming that this was incorrect?
Thanks
Bill
Yes this show was incorrectly dated on that cd.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

flamingstar81
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by flamingstar81 »

Bill wrote:My original boot of "I'll Remember You" from Rock legends labels this concert as August 15, 1972, midnight. I'm now assuming that this was incorrect?
Thanks
Bill
Yes Bill, that date is incorrect. The August 15th 1972 MS as never been released on silver disc as of yet.

"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image, I'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference, June 9th, 1972.

flamingstar81
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by flamingstar81 »

JEFF d wrote:
Thanks
Bill
Yes this show was incorrectly dated on that cd.

JEFF d
EP fan
Sorry Jeff D, I should of read your post first! :facep:

"The image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image, I'll put it that way"

Elvis at the New York Madison Square Garden press conference, June 9th, 1972.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

If they are releasing some Feb. 1972 sides, I am kind of surprised Ernst and Roger aren't using the new release as a chance to put the version of "A Big Hunk o' Love" released on Greatest Hits Volume 1 on CD officially for the first time.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Mike C wrote:If they are releasing some Feb. 1972 sides, I am kind of surprised Ernst and Roger aren't using the new release as a chance to put the version of "A Big Hunk o' Love" released on Greatest Hits Volume 1 on CD officially for the first time.
I agree Mike... that's still my favorite version... either way though, I think I'll still be getting this release for the rehearsal tracks... and I don't yet have the DS.

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rock Legend »

Personally, I am quite pleased that the September 4 DS is being released officially. It’s a rock solid show that deserves to be released by FTD.

I also like the concept and it certainly makes sense from a commercial perspective. I can easily see a lot of UK fans especially ordering this title.

However, this release does seem a bit inconsistent in some respects. They should have stuck with the theme. The February ’72 multi-tracks, as good as they are, just don’t belong here. Instead, we need a release that brings together all the remaining February ’70 and ’72 multi-tracks.

This release is about European fans seeing their idol for the first time during the ’72 Summer Festival. They could have brought this theme to life by using various spoken word audio clips, like for instance the Tony Prince interview. The fanclub organized a special evening back then with John Wilkinson as a guest. They could have used a fragment from that interview as well. There are also various local news reports about the UK fans coming to Vegas to see Elvis, and they should have definitely used those. All of these clips would have given a nice flavor of those exciting days.

Moreover, I am also a bit disappointed that we are being served the August ’72 rehearsals as bits & pieces here and there. I would prefer to get them complete, even including the stuff that has already been released earlier on other titles.

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

I hope the show on disc 1 is from a new source as the bootlegs is bad sounding. Will buy if the sound is good.
I do hope that we one day will get a "On Stage 72'" release with all the feb. multitrack recordings.....

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

I like it - haven't listened to this show for ages and never upgraded to the Madison release so will get it. Wonder why the complete rehearsal is not being released? Maybe incomplete? Maybe too repetitive with 3000 Paradise Rd?

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I'm not too bothered about more good sounding Feb 15th and 16th tracks spread around i can easily gather them together and burn my own CDR of them later.....the fact is we are getting MORE unreleased material!~ maybe we only get 9 tracks from a 3rd rehearsal because this is the highlights... i'd need to read all FULL; lists from August 1st-4th 1972 to see how much of the total we are getting. Still all 9 rehearsal tracks are of nice interest for me and even if Disc 2 runs just 40 minutes or so i will certainly enjoy it. but i still agree with Rock Legend about tony prince & John Wilkinson interview... parts of them could have nicely filled up spare running times on the 2 disc's. That's why when i supplied all the material for 'RED HOT IN VEGAS' to straight arrow i included the John Wilkinson interview -too nice to be left out. So yes could have been better packed 2 discs and a 10/10 package...so already i need to mark down to 8/10 because of what isn't included!~ still 8/10 is more than a high enough mark for me to eagerly buy this FTD and enjoy it for what it is. Lovely art-work and booklet should be great too. 8) :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

YDKM wrote:I'm not too bothered about more good sounding Feb 15th and 16th tracks spread around i can easily gather them together and burn my own CDR of them later.....the fact is we are getting MORE unreleased material!~ maybe we only get 9 tracks from a 3rd rehearsal because this is the highlights... i'd need to read all FULL; lists from August 1st-4th 1972 to see how much of the total we are getting. Still all 9 rehearsal tracks are of nice interest for me and even if Disc 2 runs just 40 minutes or so i will certainly enjoy it. but i still agree with Rock Legend about tony prince & John Wilkinson interview... parts of them could have nicely filled up spare running times on the 2 disc's. That's why when i supplied all the material for 'RED HOT IN VEGAS' to straight arrow i included the John Wilkinson interview -too nice to be left out. So yes could have been better packed 2 discs and a 10/10 package...so already i need to mark down to 8/10 because of what isn't included!~ still 8/10 is more than a high enough mark for me to eagerly buy this FTD and enjoy it for what it is. Lovely art-work and booklet should be great too. 8) :lol:
Shame you don't feel the same way with "Elvis" 2nd album coming out on FTD and the recently issued "Something For The Girls"....

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

voldto

Post by voldto »

It annoys me they have split up the Aug 2 & 3 rehearsals on 2 releases

August 2
Any Day Now Stage Rehearsal
Something Destination USA

You Dont Have To Say You Love Me bootleg released but not included on either FTD, why??

Youve lost that loving feeling not released
Im leavin Not released

August 3
Faded loved Destination USA
Wonder of you Destination USA
My Way Destination USA
Ill remember you Destination USA
Its over Destination USA
Im leavin Destination USA
Steamroller blues Destination USA

True love travels on a gravel road Stage rehearsal
True love travels on a gravel road Stage rehearsal
First time i saw your face Stage Rehearsal
Fever Stage Rehearsal
Ive got to go Stage rehearsal
Portrait of my love Stage rehearsal

What now my love Not released
Im leavin Not released

2 tracks from aug 2 not released, 2 tracks from aug 3 not released
but why not release You dont have to say you love me which has been released on a bootleg?

and they have multi track tapes of
02 14 DS
02 14 MS
02 15 DS
02 15 MS
02 16 MS
02 17 DS

Why no release of any of these multi tracks tapes complete??

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

NO WAY Elvis's 2nd album coming out contains(mostly) material i already have and same for 'something for girls'. i choose what i buy thanks 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

hm80ep
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by hm80ep »

voldto wrote: and they have multi track tapes of
02 14 DS
02 14 MS
02 15 DS
02 15 MS
02 16 MS
02 17 DS

Why no release of any of these multi tracks tapes complete??
Scattering them over several releases will make the distribution of previously unrleased material (seemingly) last longer.

And then for the final two unreleased tracks we'll get another release featuring these two plus all the other ones. :smt001

Henryk

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Rock Legend wrote: I also like the concept and it certainly makes sense from a commercial perspective. I can easily see a lot of UK fans especially ordering this title.
Well, I'm a UK fan and I'm looking forward to getting it, but with all due respect I don't think anyone would buy it just because it's a show that other UK fans attended 42 years ago. That's a bit of a stretch.

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week

Post by Rock Legend »

The Pirate wrote: I don't think anyone would buy it just because it's a show that other UK fans attended 42 years ago.
... which is not what I am saying :)

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

YDKM wrote:NO WAY Elvis's 2nd album coming out contains(mostly) material i already have and same for 'something for girls'. i choose what i buy thanks 8)
What makes me laugh and the reason i made this comment is you said about "Loving You" being a mediocre film with bad acting and the songs are not very good...wtf...

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.