Elvis Destination USA New FTD

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Re: Elvis Destination USA New FTD

Post by TCB-FAN »

You know what else would be nice about this new release ? If the sound quality of the 9-4-72 Dinner Show sounds superbly better than the "Hilton Double Shot" release from Madison a few years back. This is most likely the only FTD I will buy this go around. The other two releases, unfortunately I will have to pass.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

music2
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by music2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:What makes me laugh and the reason i made this comment is you said about "Loving You" being a mediocre film with bad acting and the songs are not very good...wtf...
I understand it.. altough i love every song from loving you..
Besides the title song, Mean Woman Blues and Got a Lot of living to do.. the others aren't any better then the 60's soundtrack.. Hot Dog (1 minute 16 seconds!) .. party (1 minute 32 seconds).. Lonesome Cowboy and Teddy Bear.. They are fun songs performed extremely well but arent particulary good songs..
:shock:

It never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes this forum is like living in the "Bizarro World."
I like the part about Hot Dog and Party not being any better than the 60's soundtracks. It is certainly in the area of OBJECTIVE philosophical thought that Yoga is as Yoga Does, is not only the Penultimate Presley song ever, but the Penultimate recording ever...PERIOD!

By the way to another poster(s) in the area of objective / subjective philosophical thought. The year of these recordings was not Presley's Peak. That had already occurred and the slide had started to take place. And yes i know music is largely subjective, but among the music and Presley scholars, '69 and '70 were the peak and then in '71 the laziness...and the weirdness (this by the end of the previous year) set in...and then by '74 (at the latest) it was unfortunately nearing the beginning of the end.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Mike C wrote:If they are releasing some Feb. 1972 sides, I am kind of surprised Ernst and Roger aren't using the new release as a chance to put the version of "A Big Hunk o' Love" released on Greatest Hits Volume 1 on CD officially for the first time.
I dare say the ludicrously and lazily titled "Greatest hits vol.1" will eventually make it out as a 'classic album' FTD, so you will have to buy that to get that teriffic version of "A big hunk o love". :(

nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by nyelvfan »

What is so good about that version of big hunk compared to the other versions we have from Feb. '72?

Tony..

Post by Tony.. »

I guess it's because it's fast, furious and was really a first taster of this kind of material from this engagement when the LP was released back in the early 80's. It was the first time we heard this song done so powerfully live I think. (The "Aloha" versions are not as free flowing or powerful).

nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by nyelvfan »

Is it really THAT much better than the other versions we have though? The other versions are great too.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

nyelvfan wrote:What is so good about that version of big hunk compared to the other versions we have from Feb. '72?
It's much more gooder than the others!!! :P

Tony..

Post by Tony.. »

There is also a version of "Never been to Spain" that, to my knowledge, has STILL never been released officially. It's the one that was on the LP bootlegs "Superstar Out-takes" and "The legend lives on" many years ago. It's different to the one that RCA / BMG / FTD keep on re-releasing on albums such as "Viva Las Vegas" (the name given to a double CD featuring one disc of previously released live material and a 2nd disc of a previously unreleased august 1969 show), "Standing room only", "Live in Las Vegas" (4 CD set), "Walk a mile in my shoes - the complete 70's masters", "Burning Love" etc, etc.

VEGAS74
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by VEGAS74 »

King Volcano wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:
The Pirate wrote: I don't think anyone would buy it just because it's a show that other UK fans attended 42 years ago.
... which is not what I am saying :)
Sorry, but I thought was exactly what you're saying. You said you liked the concept (of it being a show that UK fans attended) and that it made sense commercially. You could see a lot of UK fans buying it. So what are you saying?

I think it’s a good concept because a lot of European fans (and especially UK fans) got to see Elvis thanks to the USA trips as organized by the UK fanclub. There’s many fans who have nice memories of seeing Elvis in Vegas in the 70s thanks to these trips, and of course even more people who know someone who went on one of these trips. I can also remember reading about these shows, certain lucky fans meeting Elvis backstage, etc… like many of us did.
So, since many of us have a (somewhat) personal connection to these trips (and not just this particular show), I believe that this FTD title will do well saleswise.
I'd love to see the Oct '72 fan club magazine mentioned earlier in the thread, with the "Destination USA" article in it. Is it online anywhere that experts know? I had a look but can't find anything.
Just found this "Destination USA Souvenir issue" from the fan club with poster included ..only has info on the meeting before the show but may be of interest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VEGAS74
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by VEGAS74 »

rocknroller wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:Great Cover!
I would have called it "Destination Vegas" though.

I think it was named after the U.S. trip that the English fan club made ​​in 1972 :wink:

the english fan club :wtf: and people wonder why scotland whats Independence ! good you can stick your british fan club right up your arse then !!!
..... British "and the Commonwealth" :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

I was one of the lucky fans in the audience on 4th September 1972, so I will most certainly be purchasing this CD. Should help bring back many happy memories.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Tony.. wrote:There is also a version of "Never been to Spain" that, to my knowledge, has STILL never been released officially. It's the one that was on the LP bootlegs "Superstar Out-takes" and "The legend lives on" many years ago. It's different to the one that RCA / BMG / FTD keep on re-releasing on albums such as "Viva Las Vegas" (the name given to a double CD featuring one disc of previously released live material and a 2nd disc of a previously unreleased august 1969 show), "Standing room only", "Live in Las Vegas" (4 CD set), "Walk a mile in my shoes - the complete 70's masters", "Burning Love" etc, etc.
According to Keith Flynn's website, this version will be on the Destination USA release.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

It is a good show... has it been confirmed that this soundboard does in fact come from a reel to reel tape??

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

JEFF d wrote:It is a good show... has it been confirmed that this soundboard does in fact come from a reel to reel tape??

JEFF d
EP fan
not yet, but i doubt it will take long until we find out

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Rob

Post by Rob »

YDKM wrote:i choose what i buy thanks
Don't everyone?

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Destination USA 1972 (and 1973) were my most exciting experiences. I had just turned 27 in June 1972 and my lifelong ambitions were to visit North America and also to see Elvis. Being a child of the 50' and the early 60's, in Britain we had been deeply influenced by all things American - from rock'n'roll to the things we watched on television including most of the westerns to shows such as Highway Patrol, Dragnet and 77 Sunset Strip. There was nowhere in the world that I wanted to visit more.

The countdown had started a year previously with Todd Slaughter sending almost weekly updates of what we would be doing and seeing in the U.S. Which just highlighted the excitement even more. I have since visited the states many times (will be in Florida this March) but those first two trips were the highlight of my 68 years on this earth.

I hope that destination USA CD will live up to my memories, as I was disappointed with the closing night show (that I was also at), featured on the 'closing night' CD which featured the midnight show of September 3rd 1973. It was so far better being there on the night than how that CD portrayed it.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Just wondering what made Ernst change his FTD 'policy' and release a song just performed by back -up singers 'THE STAMPS' at this show. As during dinner at 8 we had a Kathy Westmoreland solo 'cut' and during South Bend 1/10/74 show 'Killing me Softly' performed by voice 'cut' so they would have had to pay STAMPS something for this -even if it was just a few hundred dollers? :?:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

How many of you think "Destination U.S.A." be an improvement soundwise over this release ??

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

most of the time and after reading 'feedback' the General concensus has been that pretty much all of the time FTD do have an 'edge' in sound quality ABOVE the bootleg releases, maybe sometimes slight but what about recently and the opening + closing FTD of the Winter 1970 Vegas season, the sound improvements were 'great' and especially the closing show-that's why this is a release to look forward too. once the quality of the soundboard source material is established maybe more so? :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

TCB-FAN wrote:How many of you think "Destination U.S.A." be an improvement soundwise over this release ??

It's a no-brainer for the FTD --> been listening to it,and yes I think the FTD will be improved quality..

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

TCB-FAN wrote:How many of you think "Destination U.S.A." be an improvement soundwise over this release ??

I do.. if it's a reel to reel tape that FTD uses.. then you can bet your sweet bottom dollar, that it will sound better!. Hilton double shot and the older releases of this show come with alot of hiss.. which i doubt FTD would put out. Also can't help falling in love will be complete on this ftd release!

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Maybe this is one of the reasons why the stamps solo is not cut.. This is taken from Wikipedia about Reel to Reel Recordings

A recording on magnetic audio tape is linear; unlike today's digital audio, not only was jumping from spot to spot to edit time consuming, editing was destructive—unless the recording was duplicated before edit, normally taking the same amount of time to copy, in order to preserve 75-90 percent of the quality of the original

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Johnny2523 wrote:Maybe this is one of the reasons why the stamps solo is not cut.. This is taken from Wikipedia about Reel to Reel Recordings

A recording on magnetic audio tape is linear; unlike today's digital audio, not only was jumping from spot to spot to edit time consuming, editing was destructive—unless the recording was duplicated before edit, normally taking the same amount of time to copy, in order to preserve 75-90 percent of the quality of the original
That's immaterial. The tape will be transferred to digital before it's worked on, and from there they can make all the edits they want much quicker and much more easily, with no degradation to the audio quality at all.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

The Pirate wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Maybe this is one of the reasons why the stamps solo is not cut.. This is taken from Wikipedia about Reel to Reel Recordings

That's immaterial. The tape will be transferred to digital before it's worked on, and from there they can make all the edits they want much quicker and much more easily, with no degradation to the audio quality at all.
Okay, just making a suggestion.
However the reason could also be that they made an exception this time so they can give the UK fans who where there ''The Full Experience'' Or.. They just do it because they want to keep the song in.

Tony..

Post by Tony.. »

Mike C wrote:
Tony.. wrote:There is also a version of "Never been to Spain" that, to my knowledge, has STILL never been released officially. It's the one that was on the LP bootlegs "Superstar Out-takes" and "The legend lives on" many years ago. It's different to the one that RCA / BMG / FTD keep on re-releasing on albums such as "Viva Las Vegas" (the name given to a double CD featuring one disc of previously released live material and a 2nd disc of a previously unreleased august 1969 show), "Standing room only", "Live in Las Vegas" (4 CD set), "Walk a mile in my shoes - the complete 70's masters", "Burning Love" etc, etc.
According to Keith Flynn's website, this version will be on the Destination USA release.
Hurrah! I'm happy! (for once!!).
My guess is that "Walk that lonesome road" will be omitted from the final product. It is shown on the tracklist only because it is part of the set list.