Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Lisa Marie, "Goin' Home" --> February 5, 1968!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 am

Found these sweet news photos on ebay of Elvis and Priscilla taking their four-day old daughter home from the hospital.

Have these been posted before?

680205_w baby at Baptist_01.JPG

680205_w baby at Baptist_02.JPG

680205_w baby at Baptist_03.JPG

Lisa, mom and dad -- leaving Baptist Memorial Hospital, Monday, February 5, 1968
Note in last photo friend Jerry Schilling behind, bag in hand (diapers?), and Joe Esposito nearby.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-68-Elvis-Priscilla-Lisa-Marie-Presley-Original-News-Photograph-/160563094421
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-68-Elvis-and-Priscilla-Presley-w-newborn-baby-Lisa-Marie-News-Photograph-/160563096205

Did our hero ever look happier than the photos taken this day?

No way.

Presley's first new music after this momentous event was an ambitious MGM soundtrack session.

Wonderful World
Edge of Reality
A Little Less Conversation
Almost in Love

Soundtrack Sessions for M.G.M.: Live a Little, Love a Little, March 7, 1968
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680307.htm

The catchy, Hal Blaine-inspired groove of "A Little Less Conversation," the Billy Strange and Mac Davis tune, wouldn't do much on the charts that year, but of course would become a massive, worldwide remix hit thirty-three years later. It may have been the most successful of the songs Billy Strange produced this day, although each number was trying to find something new for Presley.

Perhaps the best example of this searching for a new sound is how Elvis encountered a live orchestra in the room (for "Wonderful World") for the very first time in his career. Initially, the singer balked at the idea, he was that nervous. He had seldom -- if ever -- cut songs with a 3/4 time signature, and certainly not with an orchestra. But it all worked out fine. And it laid the groundwork for some even more fabulous magic three months later, as most of these musicians and orchestra members would be at the same studio in June for his NBC-TV Special prerecordings.

But Elvis' waxing of "Wonderful World" is significant for more than the live orchestra.

It's clear that Presley's vocal on this song is filled with love for Lisa, his newborn daughter, who was exactly 5 weeks old on Thursday, March 7, 1968, the date of this session. This is a huge reason why his performance is so inspired.

phpBB [video]

Lisa turns 46 years old in just two weeks and is doing fine, with a growing family and an enjoyable music career.

Happy birthday, LMFP!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Lisa Marie, "Goin' Home" --> February 5, 1968!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:03 am

Like to wish Lisa a Happy Birthday. and here's to many more. Time sure fly's by.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks, Doc for these wonderful pictures. Maybe Elvis will be happier in his life only one day : December 3 1968 when he saw himself on TV starting a new career.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Those are lovely photos and it's always great to see Elvis looking genuinely happy and content in life. I don't follow Lisa Marie's career closely, but she's made some good music and seems to be a girl who knows who she is, what she wants and appreciates the legacy that she's a unique part of. I wish her lots of success and happiness.

With regards to the clutch of recordings Elvis made for the soundtrack of Live a Little, Love a Little, in my opinion, every one is a gem. Yet so distinctly different. Whilst the use of a live orchestra creates a fresh and vibrant sound that was woefully amiss from much of his most recent movie recordings. Almost in Love is a charming bossa nova with a fine pedigree, stemming from Luiz Bonfa's samba cancao style, having been adapted from the Brazilian songwriter's Moonlight in Rio. Elvis had touched on samba previously, with Tepper-Bennett's All That I Am, in Spinout. Almost in Love was superior, with Elvis not only on better form, but the lyric and arrangement proving more substantial, particularly with the employment of some lovely Spanish guitar, a gentle trombone and what sounds very much like a vibraphone. Elvis's singing is both revealing and highly persuasive, proving him quite adept with a musical style that he only touched upon.

Edge of Reality is quite hypnotic from the onset and an opening that combines angelic choral tones with the darker undercurrent of long cello notes. Musically, this is reminiscent of many western themes of the era, although the dynamic changes as a dramatic, contemporary sound is settled on. The drumming is especially good on Edge of Reality, with Elvis sounding wholly in command of an unusual lyric; but that's never questioned, instead, he's focused and sings with the kind of unfettered zeal that would become the mark of his studio and live recordings over the coming months and years. The use of strings and a calling brass section that rises and falls is very reminiscent of John Barry, and with Elvis centre-middle and right at the fore, Edge of Reality maintains a strong allure that's impressive in almost every area.

The same quality of drumming punctuates A Little Less Conversation, although this was surely more contemporary and commercial than Edge of Reality or Almost in Love. The staccatissimo opening notes are dynamic and flavouful, with Elvis entering assuredly and never easing off on a tempo and a lyric that's challenging him all the way. There's some ace guitar and bass playing here, too, whilst Elvis's jubilant yell midway through is one of his most exhilarating moments on record. Wonderful World is lighter, almost care-free, with a quasi-fairground introduction and a melody set to the tempo of a Viennese waltz. Elvis sounds nothing less than jubilant in his delivery, the nature of the lyric wholly attune with his outlook on life at the time. A cousin of this recording is The Next Step is Love, although Elvis was more laid back on that particular recording, when here, he's light on his feet and lilting of voice in ways unheard in years. It really was a wonderful world for Elvis in 1968.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 pm

greystoke wrote:Those are lovely photos and it's always great to see Elvis looking genuinely happy and content in life. I don't follow Lisa Marie's career closely, but she's made some good music and seems to be a girl who knows who she is, what she wants and appreciates the legacy that she's a unique part of. I wish her lots of success and happiness.

With regards to the clutch of recordings Elvis made for the soundtrack of Live a Little, Love a Little, in my opinion, every one is a gem. Yet so distinctly different. Whilst the use of a live orchestra creates a fresh and vibrant sound that was woefully amiss from much of his most recent movie recordings. Almost in Love is a charming bossa nova with a fine pedigree, stemming from Luiz Bonfa's samba cancao style, having been adapted from the Brazilian songwriter's Moonlight in Rio. Elvis had touched on samba previously, with Tepper-Bennett's All That I Am, in Spinout. Almost in Love was superior, with Elvis not only on better form, but the lyric and arrangement proving more substantial, particularly with the employment of some lovely Spanish guitar, a gentle trombone and what sounds very much like a vibraphone. Elvis's singing is both revealing and highly persuasive, proving him quite adept with a musical style that he only touched upon.

Edge of Reality is quite hypnotic from the onset and an opening that combines angelic choral tones with the darker undercurrent of long cello notes. Musically, this is reminiscent of many western themes of the era, although the dynamic changes as a dramatic, contemporary sound is settled on. The drumming is especially good on Edge of Reality, with Elvis sounding wholly in command of an unusual lyric; but that's never questioned, instead, he's focused and sings with the kind of unfettered zeal that would become the mark of his studio and live recordings over the coming months and years. The use of strings and a calling brass section that rises and falls is very reminiscent of John Barry, and with Elvis centre-middle and right at the fore, Edge of Reality maintains a strong allure that's impressive in almost every area.

The same quality of drumming punctuates A Little Less Conversation, although this was surely more contemporary and commercial than Edge of Reality or Almost in Love. The staccatissimo opening notes are dynamic and flavouful, with Elvis entering assuredly and never easing off on a tempo and a lyric that's challenging him all the way. There's some ace guitar and bass playing here, too, whilst Elvis's jubilant yell midway through is one of his most exhilarating moments on record. Wonderful World is lighter, almost care-free, with a quasi-fairground introduction and a melody set to the tempo of a Viennese waltz. Elvis sounds nothing less than jubilant in his delivery, the nature of the lyric wholly attune with his outlook on life at the time. A cousin of this recording is The Next Step is Love, although Elvis was more laid back on that particular recording, when here, he's light on his feet and lilting of voice in ways unheard in years. It really was a wonderful world for Elvis in 1968.

It's well past the time you had your own section on here greystoke. Nobody can write such in-depth and informative reviews quite like you.

I know there are mixed feelings towards LMP but in my opinion she's a cool chick, who for the most part has handled who she is very well.

Nice topic Doctor.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 pm

daylon wrote:
greystoke wrote:Those are lovely photos and it's always great to see Elvis looking genuinely happy and content in life. I don't follow Lisa Marie's career closely, but she's made some good music and seems to be a girl who knows who she is, what she wants and appreciates the legacy that she's a unique part of. I wish her lots of success and happiness.

It's well past the time you had your own section on here greystoke. Nobody can write such in-depth and informative reviews quite like you.

I know there are mixed feelings towards LMP but in my opinion she's a cool chick, who for the most part has handled who she is very well.

Nice topic Doctor.

Thanks, daylon. Much appreciated.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Reading this topic made me interested in digging for her interviews on youtube and come across this..Probably one of the most emotional interviews i've seen her give on her father.

phpBB [video]

P.s. Sorry for the low quality sound.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks doc.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:27 am

memphisound wrote:Like to wish Lisa a Happy Birthday. and here's to many more. Time sure fly's by.

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks, Doc for these wonderful pictures. Maybe Elvis will be happier in his life only one day : December 3 1968 when he saw himself on TV starting a new career.

I do agree, the birth of his daughter and the rebirth of his artistic career had to have been two of the absolute most wonderful days of his adult life.

Thanks, gentleman.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 am

Beautiful and interesting post, Doc. Thank you.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:21 am

Shug,I always enjoy reading your reviews and comments.!

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 am

What a lovely read. Although most would not agree Billy Strange batted 1.000 at this session (more like .250), your detail on what we hear is invigorating. However, you make no comment on the reason I bring up the session: the context. This is the first recording work for our hero since the birth of his child. Do you not agree that, with "Wonderful World," Elvis is thinking about his five-week old child with all his heart and soul?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 am

Wonderful World has nothing to do with Lisa Marie.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 am

Mister Moon wrote:Beautiful and interesting post, Doc. Thank you.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Wherever Lisa is, I hope she has given "Wonderful World " a listen, and heard the love her daddy had for her, like no one else.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Beautiful and interesting post, Doc. Thank you.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Wherever Lisa is, I hope she has given "Wonderful World " a listen, and heard the love her daddy had for her, like no one else.

She hasn't ! :)

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 am

This is a nice thread: thanks for the original post, John. Good contribution, Greystoke.

Most enjoyable.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am

George Smith wrote:This is a nice thread: thanks for the original post, John. Good contribution, Greystoke.

Most enjoyable.

Thanks very much. IIRC, you helped inspire this topic, so I tip my cap to you.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:This is a nice thread: thanks for the original post, John. Good contribution, Greystoke.

Most enjoyable.

Me?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:01 pm

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Most enjoyable.

Me?

Well ... IIRC.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22 pm

I'll happily take the credit for this topic !!

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What a lovely read. Although most would not agree Billy Strange batted 1.000 at this session (more like .250), your detail on what we hear is invigorating. However, you make no comment on the reason I bring up the session: the context. This is the first recording work for our hero since the birth of his child. Do you not agree that, with "Wonderful World," Elvis is thinking about his five-week old child with all his heart and soul?

I do agree and would think Elvis had his beautiful new daughter very much in mind during almost every waking moment at this time.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Despite of the fact that I appreciate the movie, Wonderful world was a track I had never cared about... until now. Put in connect with LM birth, it surely sounds different to me. Elvis really seems to enjoy it a lot and I can understand why.

Thanks for that, Greystoke and the Doc.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:17 pm

1968 was the year I thought Elvis was officially turning it around. Earlier in the year, the great US Male single made its debut. Unfort, mid-68 saw the release of Speedway another in a long line of silly movies, but Let Yourself Go sure sounded a lot better than the movies songs of the prior few years. Then the great recordings of Live A Little, Love A Little came along. I didnt know what to think when I bought ALLC / Almost In Love. Surely they were different. Unfort, once again, radio totally ignored it, after all it was just another single form a silly Elvis movie right? But then it happened, If I Can Dream/Edge came out late in 68, with the TV special following on its heels and all was right in the Elvis world again. The movies and their music were much better (although not successful) and Elvis looked almost like the 50's again. 1969 was even better as we all know. Funny though, I never even gave LMP a thought during this period, but thanks for posting the pics. It brought me back to a nice time and memories.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Thank you for this wonderful topic, Doc.

And darn, greystoke. I love your postings, man. ::rocks

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:30 pm

A newspaper cutting from tuesday Feb, 6, 1968.

Thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by davide on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.