Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Introducing Elvis To A Friend

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 am

Hi Gang,

I have a friend who is somewhat familiar with Elvis' work, but she asked me about him as in wanting to know what would I suggest for her to watch to get the know the real Elvis, as far as a biography goes...in her words "to learn about the real Elvis, and not what the media portrayed him as or does".... suggestions?

Re: Introducing Elvis To A Friend

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:01 am

This Is Elvis is actually not a bad starting point in terms of getting to know Elvis; in terms of getting a feel for the variety of material and different eras of material.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:06 am

midnightx wrote:This Is Elvis is actually not a bad starting point in terms of getting to know Elvis; in terms of getting a feel for the variety of material and different eras of material.

Thanks Midnightx I was considering the same thing, plus it gives a feel to what he was like, outside of the public spotlight.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 am

midnightx wrote:This Is Elvis is actually not a bad starting point in terms of getting to know Elvis; in terms of getting a feel for the variety of material and different eras of material.

I agree. "This Is Elvis" is good "primer" material.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:40 pm

This Elvis does a great job of making an overall introduction that covers all periods.

You could also perhaps recommend the 2 "great performances" DVDs, as they actually cover a lot of background info, cover all of the era's, and tell the story quite well, just not chronologically, without some of the acted inserts of TIE.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I agree. "This Is Elvis" is good "primer" material.

I agree too. It was the first time i saw the first Dorsey show - knocked me from here to the middle of next week. Apart from its original broadcast in Jan, 1956, was this the first time a Dorsey show had been seen since then?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:42 pm

How about starting with Classic Albums…

It was like the world went from black & white to Technicolor, says Keith Richards of the emergence of Elvis in the mid-'50s.

In 1956, Elvis Presley went from being a cult hero with a few regional hit singles in the deep South to becoming the most talked about performer of the decade, kicking down the door for the rock 'n' roll revolution in the process. Classic Albums: Elvis Presley is a documentary which looks back at the recording of Presley's first album for RCA Victor, as he cut such classic sides as "Heartbreak Hotel", "Blue Suede Shoes", and "Shake, Rattle and Roll". Classic Albums: Elvis Presley features interviews with Sam Phillips, who discovered Elvis and recorded his first singles for Sun Records; Dixie Locke, who was Presley's girlfriend at the time; biographer Peter Guralnick; historian Ernst Jergensen, and musicians Keith Richards and B.B. King. Mark Deming, Rovi

And getting all clips (or the CD)…

Part of a very long and unusually candid taped 1972 conversation with the producers/directors of "Elvis On Tour," only a few seconds of which have thus far been released.

Here Elvis talks about failing music in school (there's some debate about that of late) and winning fifth prize by singing "Old Shep" at the Mississippi-Alabama State Fair in 1945 (in 1956 and 1957 he returned to headline the Fair). It's always been said that Elvis placed second -- the prize was $5.00 and free admission to all the rides -- but he probably really did place fifth and it's come out more recently that Elvis did wear glasses for a short time at that age. Ten year old Elvis allegedly stood on a chair to reach the mic. Radio station WELO broadcast the event (no tape's known to exist, but THAT would be a find if it did).

phpBB [video]

Checkout topic with CD details…

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79171

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Tell her also about Elvisexpresradio, their request show, is very informative (but as a supliment to the other great suggestions above), and they will later this year air the complete 15 hours "the Elvis presley story". I know that that may be a bit long, but if she is still intetested when she have seen "this is Elvis", then I think that she will find it very interesting.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:03 am

alanfalk wrote:Tell her also about Elvisexpresradio, their request show, is very informative (but as a supliment to the other great suggestions above), and they will later this year air the complete 15 hours "the Elvis presley story". I know that that may be a bit long, but if she is still intetested when she have seen "this is Elvis", then I think that she will find it very interesting.

Yeah, maybe just a tad long. ;-)

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 am

Elvis 56 In the Beginning is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-56-In-Begin ... 1568963785