Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

March 25th 1961 "Thats All Right''

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:52 am

phpBB [video]

Been years since I last heard it, and man what a smokin' version done by Elvis and the band nearly 7 years after it was recorded at Sun Studio. This is after he recorded Elvis Is Back obviously and you can tell his voice has matured so much but it also still has that raw sound from the early 1950's tours. Love it and hope you enjoy it too.

Re: March 25th 1961 "Thats All Right''

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 am

Cool, 8) thanks for posting this video "memphisound".

That is an awesome performance for sure of a great and legendary show. Do you have this set of the entire show in your collection yet, it's awesome.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:15 am

SUN-RCA wrote:Cool, 8) thanks for posting this video "memphisound".

That is an awesome performance for sure of a great and legendary show. Do you have this set of the entire show in your collection yet, it's awesome.

No sadly I don't as of right now, honestly, I believe that performance of That's All Right is the only thing I've heard from the show. But I have plans of getting "Elvis Aron Presley " set sometime in the future.
Last edited by memphisound on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:22 am

It is a great performace. Why the hell wasn't this concert filmed? It really surprises me it wasn't.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:31 am

Hey "memphisound" didnt you see this on YouTube yet, the whole show man. :smt034

phpBB [video]

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:10 am

How does the sound quality compare between the bootleg and the EAP box?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:02 am

skatterbrane wrote:How does the sound quality compare between the bootleg and the EAP box?

Curious to know too!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 am

memphisound wrote:
SUN-RCA wrote:Cool, 8) thanks for posting this video "memphisound".

No sadly I don't as of right now, honestly, I believe that performance of That's All Right is the only thing I've heard from the show. But I have plans of getting "Elvis Aron Presley " set sometime in the future.
'

You don't have it!!!!?? Go out and get it. The sooner the better. The sound quality is best on Such A Night.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:43 am

memphisound wrote:
phpBB [video]

Been years since I last heard it, and man what a smokin' version done by Elvis and the band nearly 7 years after it was recorded at Sun Studio. This is after he recorded Elvis Is Back obviously and you can tell his voice has matured so much but it also still has that raw sound from the early 1950's tours. Love it and hope you enjoy it too.

One may easily make the case for 3-25-1961 being the single best recording of Elvis Presley in concert, there is not a wasted note from start-to-finish, Elvis is on fire, the band fantastic, the set list astonishing and the crowd insane.

Please see this topic for lots more on this magnificent moment in Elvis' career:

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Anniversary!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59824
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76390

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:
phpBB [video]

One may easily make the case for 3-25-1961 being the single best recording of Elvis Presley in concert, there is not a wasted note from start-to-finish, Elvis is on fire, the band fantastic, the set list astonishing and the crowd insane.

Please see this topic for lots more on this magnificent moment in Elvis' career:

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Anniversary!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59824
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76390

Thanks for the link's John will go through them now. What stood out most to me was just his vocal's like I said they still have that young Elvis from the 1950's we know so well, but so polished, man what a missed chance Elvis wasn't touring during this time. Such a shame, IMO.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:00 am

skatterbrane wrote:How does the sound quality compare between the bootleg and the EAP box?

I will give the record a spin from my "1980 EAP Box set" Saturday and let you know man, it's been awhile since i listen to that great box set. Man i practically wore that record out back then, i just could not get enough of listening to that show when i was a kid. :smt023

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:35 am

I compared these 3 different sources.

BOOTLEG CD, GOOD SOUND, not excellent, but clear enough to enjoy as a whole.

GOOD, not excellent, has a kind of a muffled sound to it that fades in and out, but this box set as a whole is fantastic with the other 7 records sound are excellent. From the CD set, the sound to me is the same as the vinyl, muffled.

BOOTLEG VINYL RECORD - EXCELLENT SOUND, the sound i hear from this record far out does the others immensely, imho. It is also a very nice gatefold album, with a 16 page booklet inside, it's a nice bootleg to have.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 am

SUN-RCA wrote:

GOOD, not excellent, has a kind of a muffled sound to it that fades in and out, but this box set as a whole is fantastic with the other 7 records sound are excellent. From the CD set, the sound to me is the same as the vinyl, muffled.

BOOTLEG VINYL RECORD - EXCELLENT SOUND, the sound i hear from this record far out does the others immensely, imho. It is also a very nice gatefold album, with a 16 page booklet inside, it's a nice bootleg to have.

Sound samples?? :D So we others can also compare

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:53 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
SUN-RCA wrote:

HI Johnny, how can i give a sample from my vinyls, i have no ider how i would be able to do that, i will if i can.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Such A Night sounds good to me with a beautiful cover and book (-let). The listening experience isn't perfect but you can feel the excitement. Elvis is plain wonderful.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm quite happy with my vinyl copy of "Elvis Aron Presley". And some friend of mine burned me a CD of the digital equivalent, so I can listen to it anywhere.

I haven't listened to any other source, but not much can be done to improve the sound quality, I'm afraid.

But this is an astonishing document, and I can overcome that ! Just listen to Elvis scream before the opening song. And what an incredible version of "I Got A Woman". Well, I'll leave it there...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
SUN-RCA wrote:

HI Johnny, how can i give a sample from my vinyls, i have no ider how i would be able to do that, i will if i can.

ah, i use a Vinyl record player that has an USB cable, so i can record everything to my computer directly.
I wished i had that vinyl of the 1961 Elvis and his show vinyl. That one is quite pricey on ebay

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Just get the 1980 EAP box set on CD... I have it on LP, cassette, and CD. Paid $100 for the LPs in '80, $19.95 for the cassette set, and got the cd set for $29.95 a few years back. Love this show and try to give it a spin every month or so!

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Quit this darn quoting all the time! :P

Great performance by our man.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Didn't the original bootleg feature a spliced "Hound Dog", making it last 2 or 3 minutes longer than it actually was ?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 pm

This has been my favorite recorded Elvis concert since I first heard it on Elvis Aron Presleyin 1980.

I especially like the version of "That's All Right". Elvis' acousitc guitar is up front, and Scotty is playing his classic guitar licks. In addition, Boots Randolph plays some tasteful, appropriate sax back up that only adds to the performance.

This is just a great live performance in every way...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:54 pm

"Such A Night" by MRS is NOT a bootleg release.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I'm quite happy with my vinyl copy of "Elvis Aron Presley". And some friend of mine burned me a CD of the digital equivalent, so I can listen to it anywhere.

I haven't listened to any other source, but not much can be done to improve the sound quality, I'm afraid.

But this is an astonishing document, and I can overcome that ! Just listen to Elvis scream before the opening song. And what an incredible version of "I Got A Woman". Well, I'll leave it there...

FrankieRider2 wrote:Just get the 1980 EAP box set on CD... I have it on LP, cassette, and CD. Paid $100 for the LPs in '80, $19.95 for the cassette set, and got the cd set for $29.95 a few years back. Love this show and try to give it a spin every month or so!

Elvis Aron Presley (LP or CD) remains the best, unfettered, go-to source for this concert. It would be terrific if a better-quality original tape was uncovered, as some additional sections may remain, but after so many years, it's unlikely.

Mister Moon wrote:Didn't the original bootleg feature a spliced "Hound Dog", making it last 2 or 3 minutes longer than it actually was ?

Yes. No idea why the Golden Archives producers did this. Also, the introduction of Elvis by by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell is truncated.

Re: March 25th 1961

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 pm

memfisking wrote:

"Such A Night" by MRS is NOT a bootleg release.

Would you be able to say this if the product was sold in the United States? ;-)

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Didn't the original bootleg feature a spliced "Hound Dog", making it last 2 or 3 minutes longer than it actually was ?

Yes. No idea why the Golden Archives producers did this. Also, the introduction of Elvis by by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell is truncated.

Thanks for the information.

That intro... I know it by heart ! : "Our honored guest tonight, is a fine American..."

A better sounding source would of course be welcome, but I feel very fortunate to have this one. If only we could have similar sounding recordings of some other concerts...