Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Straight Arrow: Endless Summer Festival

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
Good sounding audience recordings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Soundbooth recordings? No![/i][/b]

Both shows were recorded with a tape recorder with 2 mikes plugged in somewhere near the stage. The audience reactions can be clearly heard with a stereo effect created by this recording format. The term "soundbooth recording" has become a well-known saying for this kind of recordings. The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage. The common fans who recorded the shows surely hadn`t such a best spot to place their equipment. This might be the reason for varying sound quality. Anyway.. it is still very, very good in our case. For collectors of such stuff a dream come true and unreleased before in any form. Any collector of such things who don`t like it has missed the plot. I have heard there is even more to come..bring em.... ::rocks

So, every fan taped show is a soundbooth recording as long as it is in stereo, no matter how good or bad the sound quality is???

soundbooth recording not professional...yes...stereo effect..yes..sound might differ yes....depends on the placement..

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:46 am

Ciscoking wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
Good sounding audience recordings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Soundbooth recordings? No![/i][/b]

Both shows were recorded with a tape recorder with 2 mikes plugged in somewhere near the stage. The audience reactions can be clearly heard with a stereo effect created by this recording format. The term "soundbooth recording" has become a well-known saying for this kind of recordings. The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage. The common fans who recorded the shows surely hadn`t such a best spot to place their equipment. This might be the reason for varying sound quality. Anyway.. it is still very, very good in our case. For collectors of such stuff a dream come true and unreleased before in any form. Any collector of such things who don`t like it has missed the plot. I have heard there is even more to come..bring em.... ::rocks

So, every fan taped show is a soundbooth recording as long as it is in stereo, no matter how good or bad the sound quality is???

soundbooth recording not professional...yes...stereo effect..yes..sound might differ yes....depends on the placement..

Why isn't it then simply called what it is? A stereo audience recording?
The describtion soundbooth recording should be left to recordings like Fort Baxter's August 20,1973 Midnight Show!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Because if they called it "a stereo audience recording" it probably wouldn't sell as much.

The term "soundbooth recording" has obviously been created to attract fans who only buy soundboards and not audience recordings. The two words "soundboard" and "soundbooth" sound similar and the word "soundbooth" makes it sound like it was recorded professionally by some guy in a booth.

Some of these soundbooth recordings do sound a lot better than the average audience recording and deserve this more worthy title.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Real collectors don't care what they call it.

If it says "Straight Arrow," it tells them all they need to know.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:15 pm

charro1971 wrote:Because if they called it "a stereo audience recording" it probably wouldn't sell as much.

The term "soundbooth recording" has obviously been created to attract fans who only buy soundboards and not audience recordings. The two words "soundboard" and "soundbooth" sound similar and the word "soundbooth" makes it sound like it was recorded professionally by some guy in a booth.

I know :wink:
It's a marketing ploy. The label 'Soundbooth' belongs to other type of records as I had said before.
I just wished somebody else would have answered this question (with honesty). :lol:

To point it out, I'm looking forward to this and most other SA releases, 'cause I still enjoy listening to audience recordings. Mono or Stereo.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm

The term was definitely not invented by bootleggers. It is an official term written on worksheets of those type of recordings. It is also used on many websites. Someone just took the term for one of those releases probably inspired by the first type of these recordings from August 20, 1973 MS. In my opinion the correct term is "2 mike audience recording". This would imply that the recording was made with 2 mikes by the audience. You cannot call it "stereo" in any way cause we only have one track. It would only cause confusion. "Soundbooth recording" should be reserved for professional recordings of this kind.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:21 pm

If anybody's still interested, these two shows were recorded with a portable tape-recorder on cassettes, from a table right by the stage, with the microphone under the pink table napkin which was slightly raised to help the sound through. No second microphone, no booth, just an ordinary fan who was nothing whatsoever to do with Elvis's inner circle nor a privileged person who had privacy to record etc etc.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Just skipped through both discs this afternoon and have to admit that these are prettey decent audience recordings. Much better than what I had expected after listening to the posted samples. Enjoyed what I heared. Really. Interestingly I noticed that some songs are much more listenable than others. But I guess this has always been the case when dealing with audience recordings. At least this has been the case some 15-20 years ago :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm

chris j wrote:If anybody's still interested, these two shows were recorded with a portable tape-recorder on cassettes, from a table right by the stage, with the microphone under the pink table napkin which was slightly raised to help the sound through. No second microphone, no booth, just an ordinary fan who was nothing whatsoever to do with Elvis's inner circle nor a privileged person who had privacy to record etc etc.

I was told it were 2 mikes on the table..the other one lying under another napkin..perhaps you didn`t see it.. :wink:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 pm

chris j wrote:If anybody's still interested, these two shows were recorded with a portable tape-recorder on cassettes, from a table right by the stage, with the microphone under the pink table napkin which was slightly raised to help the sound through. No second microphone, no booth, just an ordinary fan who was nothing whatsoever to do with Elvis's inner circle nor a privileged person who had privacy to record etc etc.

Thank you.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Perhaps the person who told you that, Ciscoking, was speaking about a different recording??

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:10 pm

chris j wrote:Perhaps the person who told you that, Ciscoking, was speaking about a different recording??

Yep,..could be the case..

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Ciscoking wrote:The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage.

Cisco, what makes you say the August 20, 1973 show was professionally recorded?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm

there are working sheets of several shows with respective remarks..this one is among them.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:42 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage.

"Professional" is the wrong adjective.

It is more appropriate to say the 8-20-1973 MS heard on that Fort Baxter box set is an officially-sanctioned, off-line audience recording.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

It is more appropriate to say the 8-20-1973 MS heard on that Fort Baxter box set is an officially-sanctioned, off-line audience recording.

You are da man, John..my master of the universe.. :wink:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

You are da man, John..my master of the universe.. :wink:

:smt003 :smt003

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

I'm just curious if it was officially sanctioned why choose this format vs a recording direct from the mixing console?

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:09 am

I`d say..it were tests..mainly done in Feb/Aug./Sep 1973 and Feb 1974 in Vegas.
Probably also done by musicians or other members of the crew....some were kept..
see I Found My Thrill FTD..the bonus track..
Last edited by Ciscoking on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 am

Ciscoking wrote:I`d say..it were tests..mainly done in Feb/Aug./Sep 1973 and Aug 1974 in Vegas.
Probably also done by musicians or other members of the crew....some were kept..
see I Found My Thrill FTD..the bonus track..

Weren't those from january/february 1974 instead of Aug 1974

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 am

Sure..amended ..thank you ... :smt006

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 am

elvis-fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

I'm just curious if it was officially sanctioned why choose this format vs a recording direct from the mixing console?

To not bother Bill Porter, perhaps?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:*** COMING SOON IS A NEW, MUST-OWN CD RELEASE FROM THE CELEBRATED STRAIGHT ARROW LABEL ***
Endless Summer Festival
From the booth tapes Vol. 2

image003.jpg

Wednesay, August 22, 1973 Dinner and Midnight Shows
Las Vegas Hilton, Las Vegas, NV

Label: Straight Arrow Special Products SA/SP 2014-19-02
Coming out soon is the new Straight Arrow's double-digipak CD release "ENDLESS SUMMER FESTIVAL!", featuring the August 22, 1973 Dinner and Midnight performances. Both shows are taken from original „booth recordings“, taped by the same person. The sound quality is far superior to the usual audience recordings. Ask your local dealer for samples!

The year's journey from Hawaii to Nevada was almost at its end on August 22, 1973. That Wednesday night, Elvis delivered two professional, sold-out performances for the faithful at the Las Vegas Hilton with a mix of the old and new, including a stunning, yet-to-be recorded cover of Richard Harris' 1971 single, "My Boy." After the final Hilton show on September 3, bass player Emory Gordy would leave to return to the more creative studio environs of Nashville, Presley would instruct manager Tom Parker to leave his employ, his wife Priscilla Beaulieu would leave for good, and Elvis himself would nearly leave the land of the living. It was a long, long way down from that worldwide broadcast in Honolulu on January 14, but the man would survive, somehow, and return to sing his soul that December in Memphis.

It should be noted that neither of these superb-quality, off-line concert recordings have been previously issued. Both shows are completely new, even to die-hard Elvis fans. They were never in circulation, in any form. Enjoy the music!

Tracklist:

CD1 - Wednesday, August 22, 1973 Dinner Show

01. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - 02. C. C. Rider - 03. I Got A Woman / Amen - 04. Love Me - 05. You Gave Me A Mountain - 06. Blue Suede Shoes - 07. Medley: Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Your Mama Don't Dance / Flip Flop And Fly / Jailhouse Rock / Hound Dog - 08. Love Me Tender - 09. Fever - 10. What Now My Love - 11. Suspicious Minds - 12. Introductions of singers, musicians, orchestra - 13. My Boy (with lyric flub corrected) - 14. Release Me - 15. An American Trilogy - 16. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - 17. Can't Help Falling In Love - 18. Closing Vamp / Announcements.

CD2 - Wednesday, August 22, 1973 Midnight Show

01. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - 02. C. C. Rider - 03. I Got A Woman / Amen - 04. Love Me - 05. You Gave Me A Mountain - 06. Steamroller Blues - 07. Blue Suede Shoes - 08. Medley: Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Your Mama Don't Dance / Flip Flop And Fly / Jailhouse Rock / Hound Dog - 09. Love Me Tender - 10. Fever - 11. What Now My Love - 12. Suspicious Minds - 13. Introductions of singers, musicians, orchestra - 14. My Boy - 15. Release Me - 16. An American Trilogy - 17. A Big Hunk O' Love - 18. Can't Help Falling In Love - 19. Closing Vamp / Announcements.
What is meant by "lyric flub corrected" in My Boy above?