Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:51 pm

This book has just been released. Has everyone bought this book? If so, could you give me a run down of it....like, are there a lot of unpublished photo's etc.

I usually don't buy Elvis products until i've read the ETMAHM reviews of it, then i decide. But since the next issue of ETMAHM is still a few weeks away yet i'd like to know sooner as i'm going to see my regular supplier of Elvis products next week.

Thanks.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Id be interested also. Have any of the other Elvis websites reviewed it? I agree ETMAHM is the way to go(they have saved me a lot of money!) but as youve stated March is a ways off yet!

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 am

Well, seems like no one has got the book....oh well.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 am

I'll let you know, it's just cleared customs here as I type.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:00 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This book has just been released. Has everyone bought this book? If so, could you give me a run down of it....like, are there a lot of unpublished photo's etc.

I usually don't buy Elvis products until i've read the ETMAHM reviews of it, then i decide. But since the next issue of ETMAHM is still a few weeks away yet i'd like to know sooner as i'm going to see my regular supplier of Elvis products next week.

Thanks.


I know little about this limited release, but one red flag is the promotional flyer.


book_Caught_On_Camera_The_1950s_Candids_Flyer.jpg


Virtually none of the photos here are "new" to my eyes. Surely they would want to entice the collector with some gems. Contrast this with each new issue of "The Elvis Files" magazine, where the promo flyer is nothing but unseen shots.


Elvis Files_promo flyer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:This book has just been released. Has everyone bought this book? If so, could you give me a run down of it....like, are there a lot of unpublished photo's etc.

I usually don't buy Elvis products until i've read the ETMAHM reviews of it, then i decide. But since the next issue of ETMAHM is still a few weeks away yet i'd like to know sooner as i'm going to see my regular supplier of Elvis products next week.

Thanks.


I know little about this limited release, but one red flag is the promotional flyer.


book_Caught_On_Camera_The_1950s_Candids_Flyer.jpg


Virtually none of the photos here are "new" to my eyes. Surely they would want to entice the collector with some gems. Contrast this with each new issue of "The Elvis Files" magazine, where the promo flyer is nothing but unseen shots.


Elvis Files_promo flyer.jpg

Indeed. Judging by the promtional flier of the "Caught On Camera" book, those shots are not "new" to my eyes. Coincidentally, i've just spoken to a friend who tells me that there are photos in there that are in the Fies Vol.1 book, but as full page shots. So it seems it's a pass on this one.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 am

Actually, its really quite nice, there are some unseen shots, some familiar shots clearer than before, nice quality paper and it a cardboard slip cover.

Quite happy with it :)

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:46 am

Couple of quick snaps while I am supposed to be working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for posting, Julian.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Couple of quick snaps while I am supposed to be working.

Image
Image
Image



So, what percentage of images in this book are "new"?

Note that they misattribute the images in those second and third screenshots. Those candids were taken in front of the Roosevelt Hotel in Jacksonville on February 24, 1956, not "Hollywood," and published in a recent edition of "The Elvis Files" magazine.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:44 am

The overall percentage of "new" pictures is small, maybe half a dozen or so. These include "new" to me pictures from August 1959, Daytona Beach in August 1956, a couple of nice quality full page pictures from the Venus Room in Las Vegas, 1956 and although small, one amazing "new" candid of Elvis "with friends" circa 1951. Again, nice quality paper, it's a decent photo book.

I have "A Boy From Tupelo" each issue of "The Elvis Files Magazine" and each volume of "The Elvis Files" books so I guess repeated photographs are inevitable. Whilst "Caught On Camera" couldn't be considered a must, it may be a nice alternative for those who are perhaps on a budget.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks, JG.

Re: Caught On Camera - 50's Book.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Julian Grant wrote:The overall percentage of "new" pictures is small, maybe half a dozen or so. These include "new" to me pictures from August 1959, Daytona Beach in August 1956, a couple of nice quality full page pictures from the Venus Room in Las Vegas, 1956 and although small, one amazing "new" candid of Elvis "with friends" circa 1951. Again, nice quality paper, it's a decent photo book.

I have "A Boy From Tupelo" each issue of "The Elvis Files Magazine" and each volume of "The Elvis Files" books so I guess repeated photographs are inevitable. Whilst "Caught On Camera" couldn't be considered a must, it may be a nice alternative for those who are perhaps on a budget.

Thanks JG. I'll will be giving it a miss. I have all the books and mags you've mentioned above, so i don't see the point of paying out £50 for half a dozen pix.