Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 pm

For you and the other ca. 5, 70' haters, people who don't find that entire period one big disaster are all apologists or wear rosecollured glasses ! Could it be you guys who Are being too critical ? And yes I assume most of you didn't like the 70 Elvis, jumpsuits and all, and therefor Are happy to have the drugs to pin a great deal of your arguements on. And I have seen the same people calling the MSG shows rushed and ALL his jumpsuits silly, and his voice weak, and his choice of material bad. And by the comments on this site I can tell that many here are fans of other singers too, but I have never seen them attacted as harsh as Elvis. Some of you people need to realize that just because YOU don't like his 70 output, then that doesn't mean that it wasn't good/great.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:06 pm

alanfalk wrote:I assume most of you didn't like the 70 Elvis, jumpsuits and all...

Those folks are actually the minority on this board, so don't let it get to you.

This fan likes it all.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:10 pm

alanfalk wrote:For you and the other ca. 5, 70' haters, people who don't find that entire period one big disaster are all apologists or wear rosecollured glasses ! Could it be you guys who Are being too critical ? And yes I assume most of you didn't like the 70 Elvis, jumpsuits and all, and therefor Are happy to have the drugs to pin a great deal of your arguements on. And I have seen the same people calling the MSG shows rushed and ALL his jumpsuits silly, and his voice weak, and his choice of material bad. And by the comments on this site I can tell that many here are fans of other singers too, but I have never seen them attacted as harsh as Elvis. Some of you people need to realize that just because YOU don't like his 70 output, then that doesn't mean that it wasn't good/great.



I have yet to find a single person on here who has rubbished Presley's 70s output as a "whole", as you are suggesting. There are no "70s haters" on this board, just a number of people who take performances and critique them in a realistic, rather than a gushing, way. While I don't agree with many people's disdain for certain 70s recordings, that doesn't mean I don't understand where they're coming from. But the fact that you take comments on particular performances and then call those people "70s haters" is petty and childish. One quick glance at the Memphis 74 thread will show you that the views on that performance, for example, are positive even from your so-called "70s haters". It seems no-one can attempt an intelligent conversation about a song or a performance without them being viewed as caricatures. It is safe to say that no-one on this board views any Elvis era as all good or all bad.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

alanfalk wrote:
r&b wrote:
alanfalk wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Actually in this thread Joe Car said that tons of people became Elvis fans because of Aloha.

Maybe you should pay more attention.

All the best.


I missed it, such things happen once in a blue moon.

However, I also make the effort to directly quote people when directly responding to a comment. Like, in this post. You rarely do this, and it's either because you have yet to master the quote function, are lazy, don't care, or all three.

My point was, of course, that your condescension was rude, and it was wrong. My missing Joe Car's post (now fixed) doesn't change that a-tall.

All the best.


memphisound wrote:This would be a silly argument because who can tell how many fan's became fans of Elvis because of Aloha. I'm sure he gained fans with the Aloha special and the album like he did with his other tv specials and albums from the past. And to say he didn't is silly. So in that regard what Joe Car says is correct.


What I said! ;-)


Well, if we assume that people Weigh around 65 kilos pr. person (estimate, men/women), then there will be 6.5 tons if he just
gained 100 new fans , I think that is safe to say, that he gained at least that amount :smt002 .
I treasure the big variety we have in the proffesional tv shows ; 68' special, TTWII, On Tour, Aloha and even EIC.
And I won't Even start to name all the "drug addicts" we have/had in show buisness, of those Elvis was by far the coolest and best !


Coolest and best drug addict? What the heck does that even mean? But thanks for the laugh.


Well then a little explanation for the slow :D Ray Charles, Johnny Cash , Jim Morrison, Beatles, Rolling Stones and about 1000 other singers did drugs and/or alcohol in some form or other, and quite a bit of those blues singers I guess you like a lot did too, but when Elvis is using medication he is the devil incarnated and suddenly everyone can hear and see it in every 70' performance (which they often "funny enough" don't care for anyway). And yes I see Elvis as Much Cooler than any of the above (even though I like them all, more or less). And yes I wouldn't be as BIG a fan of him today, without Albums like; Elvis Country, TTWII,The STAX "trilogy" Today, Moody Blue, Films/shows like: TTWII, Elvis on tour, Aloha and EIC, songs like; MY Way, My Boy, Way Down, Promised Land, Talk about the good times, Burning Love, Separate Ways, Always on my mind, What now my love, Just Pretend, Bridge, The wonder of you, I John, Let it be me, T-R-O-U-B-L-E and about 30-40 more great songs, Tours/concerts; MSG-concert, Hampton Roads, The july 75 tour, the Jan-feb 70 and August 70 shows , Dec 76 tour, the marts 75 tour etc. ALL of this we would have missed if this "Drug addict" hadn't performed in the 70', and IMHO this would have been a great shame !


Totally ridiculous. No drug addict is cool or 'the best'. They are all sad cases to me. Some cleaned up (Cash, Charles, Dion, The Beatles, Clapton), and some didnt (the obvious ones who succumbed to it including Elvis). So no, all is NOT cool for any of the ones who didnt make it. When these artists were on drugs, they certainly werent cool by any means, and their performances suffered. Some looked and acted horribly.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:35 pm

billyblues wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:For me, the movement is the last of the problems with Aloha - although many concentrate on it. He simply doesn't sing very well for the most part. Sure, he's fine at full voice in Trilogy and at the end of What Now My Love, but for much of the time he has problems staying in tune on long notes, and there is a strange thin sound to his voice.


In my opinion and view, the problem is a combination of both: when he "shouldn't" move, his voice isn't sounding energetic with few exceptions. "Something", which is one of my favorites, sounds pretty bad. And when one would expect him to move... Well, he just stands there and, uh, something. Then he strikes a pose and smiles as if he did great. "Yeah!". Whoo.

Heck, it's Elvis and I love him! But I just watched Aloha (seriously, it ended a minute ago) and I didn't remember it felt so boring. Thankfully I've watched it alone and when my wife's with me there are better things to watch, like the Comeback Special. I don't want her to think that Elvis is that boring. It may have been a triumphant event but, seriously, it's not a very good Elvis concert. Possibly it was like that because he was nervous, seeing as it was such a huge event. You can clearly see that he does not know what to do during the Burning Love solo, trying to look cool but ending up looking confused with the acoustic guitar.

Well, at least we have On Tour and what came before!
PS.: Not saying it was a total failure - I like a few of the performances. But, as I said, I didn't remember it felt so boring (it's been quite some time since I last watched it).


Sorry, but it's never been boring to me. It was immensely exciting when it first aired and I think it's a riveting Elvis performance. When Aloha first aired I wasn't an Elvis fan but the little bit I saw, I thought was pretty cool when I was 12. When they reran it again in 73, I was then an Elvis fan after seeing him in Vegas and I was glued to the TV and it stayed with me until it was aired again in 1977. I just watched it again last night on a big screen, in HD and I was riveted and sure as hell wasn't bored. One of the most unique things about Aloha was the extreme close-ups on his face. You can really see the emotion and concentration and that's what really makes the special.

Yes, Elvis performs different than in EOT and TTWII but it was a conscience decision on his part to show the world a more mature performer. He started to perform like this in late 72 so it wasn't just for Aloha. Had Elvis stayed at this level and built on his more mature performing style, he was smartly looking towards his longevity as a performer. It's too bad that after Aloha he went into the steady but accelerated slide.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was at the height of his Superfly period. Superfly doesn't jump around. He just looks cool.


But would Superfly sing a song as wimpy as "Welcome To My World"?


Chicks dig it.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 pm

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was at the height of his Superfly period. Superfly doesn't jump around. He just looks cool.


But would Superfly sing a song as wimpy as "Welcome To My World"?


Chicks dig it.


Chicks or middle aged bouffant hairdo women? Let me try & play that for a few hot 21-30 year olds that frequent my gym. Elvis who?
Last edited by r&b on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm

r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was at the height of his Superfly period. Superfly doesn't jump around. He just looks cool.


But would Superfly sing a song as wimpy as "Welcome To My World"?


Chicks dig it.


Chicks or middle aged bouffant hairdo women? Let me try & plays that for a few hot 21-30 year olds that frequent my gym. Elvis who?


Superfly loved middle aged bouffant hairdo women.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:He was at the height of his Superfly period. Superfly doesn't jump around. He just looks cool.


But would Superfly sing a song as wimpy as "Welcome To My World"?


Chicks dig it.


Chicks or middle aged bouffant hairdo women? Let me try & plays that for a few hot 21-30 year olds that frequent my gym. Elvis who?


Superfly loved middle aged bouffant hairdo women.


Yes, the long legged ones with the short skirt on no doubt.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:For me, the movement is the last of the problems with Aloha - although many concentrate on it. He simply doesn't sing very well for the most part. Sure, he's fine at full voice in Trilogy and at the end of What Now My Love, but for much of the time he has problems staying in tune on long notes, and there is a strange thin sound to his voice.

The vocal deficiencies and the lethargic nature of his body movement most likely go hand in hand due to medication. While some fans will argue that Elvis was "clean" for Aloha and rely on some Memphis Mafia assertions (most likely made to promote the Aloha myth) to back up that claim, the visual and vocal evidence suggests otherwise. All one has to do is look at the historical record from the era; Elvis was a full-blown drug addict. It is highly unlikely that he went 'cold turkey' for Aloha. Perhaps he curbed the intensity of some of his intake, but it is highly unlikely that he was "clean" during Aloha.


Sorry, but I don't see these "lethargic" movements or hear these "vocal deficiencies". Elvis put on a hell of a purposely controlled performance. Now you may not like the material he sang or his more mature delivery, (that's just preference), but you can't blame drugs for any of it. I for one believe Marty and Linda when they say that Elvis was 100% straight for Aloha except for the last minute shot of B-12 and amphetamines. And even with that, he doesn't appear to be tweaking or show any affects of being high on uppers. It's a myth that people can't use addictive substances and then stop cold turkey. Yes, there are many that can't but there are just as many that can. There was recently a study about this reported in a medical journal that there are many people who can use highly addictive substances like crack and meth and stop and start at will. I have a cousin who abuses meth but he is able to go long periods without using it and not using anything. The problem is, he keeps going back to it and it's messing up his life but he's been doing this for a very long time (20 + years). I believe Marty about him being drug free to get in shape for Aloha. Marty has pulled no punches about Elvis, why would he do it for this? If there was any lethargy or vocal thinness (I still don't see it), it was would have more likely been due to the extreme diet he went on to lose weight.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

midnightx wrote:
alanfalk wrote:Well then a little explanation for the slow :D Ray Charles, Johnny Cash , Jim Morrison, Beatles, Rolling Stones and about 1000 other singers did drugs and/or alcohol in some form or other, and quite a bit of those blues singers I guess you like a lot did too, but when Elvis is using medication he is the devil incarnated and suddenly everyone can hear and see it in every 70' performance (which they often "funny enough" don't care for anyway).

Are you insinuating the fan-bases of those other artists you mention believe those artists were infallible during the phases in which they abused drugs? That is one of oddest assertions Elvis apologists make. They act as if Elvis is being unfairly targeted due to his drug abuse, and that other well-known musicians who also abused drugs are somehow celebrated for their actions. No serious Doors fan believes Morrison was generally performing well in 1970. No serious, informed Led Zeppelin fan will assert Jimmy Page played wonderfully on heroin during the band's 1975/1977 U.S. shows. No well-informed Rolling Stones fan will proclaim Keith Richards was at his best during the mid-70s. And feel free to point out some of Elvis' finer moments from the '70s as a misguided argument that his drug abuse wasn't so severe that it negatively impacted the entire period, so, therefore one should accept the inferior moments because without them, there would not have been the good ones either. Most fans will agree that the MSG concerts are exciting and fun, that the spring 1972 On Tour shows were of high quality, that his work in Las Vegas during 1970 was mostly tremendous, that Elvis Country was a good record, etc. But there was a lot of substandard work done between 1970 and 1977 -- and the deterioration of Elvis' live work from 1973 thru 1977 was spiraling downward at an alarming pace due mostly to drug addiction. You also assume that fans who acknowledge the impact Elvis' drug abuse had on his live show are simply doing so because they don't like that period of Elvis' work to begin with -- again, a very misguided assertion.


Good post, Midnightx. Sadly your post reflects reality. I think fans who argue like this are fans who feel saddened that such a great talent faded away as a consequence of his addiction.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 pm

You '70s haters are really getting me down.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
alanfalk wrote:For you and the other ca. 5, 70' haters, people who don't find that entire period one big disaster are all apologists or wear rosecollured glasses ! Could it be you guys who Are being too critical ? And yes I assume most of you didn't like the 70 Elvis, jumpsuits and all, and therefor Are happy to have the drugs to pin a great deal of your arguements on. And I have seen the same people calling the MSG shows rushed and ALL his jumpsuits silly, and his voice weak, and his choice of material bad. And by the comments on this site I can tell that many here are fans of other singers too, but I have never seen them attacted as harsh as Elvis. Some of you people need to realize that just because YOU don't like his 70 output, then that doesn't mean that it wasn't good/great.



I have yet to find a single person on here who has rubbished Presley's 70s output as a "whole", as you are suggesting. There are no "70s haters" on this board, just a number of people who take performances and critique them in a realistic, rather than a gushing, way. While I don't agree with many people's disdain for certain 70s recordings, that doesn't mean I don't understand where they're coming from. But the fact that you take comments on particular performances and then call those people "70s haters" is petty and childish. One quick glance at the Memphis 74 thread will show you that the views on that performance, for example, are positive even from your so-called "70s haters". It seems no-one can attempt an intelligent conversation about a song or a performance without them being viewed as caricatures. It is safe to say that no-one on this board views any Elvis era as all good or all bad.


When the same people attac different 70' output (and the taste of those who like most of it) again and again, a picture start to form (maybe you should reread some of the treads who discuss it, instead of calling people childish ) . "Every" time (I had to put that in parentesis , so some people here knows that it means "almost" every time) there is a chance of taking a stap at Elvis post 70, the excact same people shows up, and just because they then happend to see the 74 concert as ok, then that doesn't change the overall picture. But of course, whenever people critizise Elvis, then they are "realistic" in some peoples optic , and if you defend Elvis, then you are an apologist.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm

r&b wrote:
alanfalk wrote:
r&b wrote:
alanfalk wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Actually in this thread Joe Car said that tons of people became Elvis fans because of Aloha.

Maybe you should pay more attention.

All the best.


I missed it, such things happen once in a blue moon.

However, I also make the effort to directly quote people when directly responding to a comment. Like, in this post. You rarely do this, and it's either because you have yet to master the quote function, are lazy, don't care, or all three.

My point was, of course, that your condescension was rude, and it was wrong. My missing Joe Car's post (now fixed) doesn't change that a-tall.

All the best.


memphisound wrote:This would be a silly argument because who can tell how many fan's became fans of Elvis because of Aloha. I'm sure he gained fans with the Aloha special and the album like he did with his other tv specials and albums from the past. And to say he didn't is silly. So in that regard what Joe Car says is correct.


What I said! ;-)


Well, if we assume that people Weigh around 65 kilos pr. person (estimate, men/women), then there will be 6.5 tons if he just
gained 100 new fans , I think that is safe to say, that he gained at least that amount :smt002 .
I treasure the big variety we have in the proffesional tv shows ; 68' special, TTWII, On Tour, Aloha and even EIC.
And I won't Even start to name all the "drug addicts" we have/had in show buisness, of those Elvis was by far the coolest and best !


Coolest and best drug addict? What the heck does that even mean? But thanks for the laugh.


Well then a little explanation for the slow :D Ray Charles, Johnny Cash , Jim Morrison, Beatles, Rolling Stones and about 1000 other singers did drugs and/or alcohol in some form or other, and quite a bit of those blues singers I guess you like a lot did too, but when Elvis is using medication he is the devil incarnated and suddenly everyone can hear and see it in every 70' performance (which they often "funny enough" don't care for anyway). And yes I see Elvis as Much Cooler than any of the above (even though I like them all, more or less). And yes I wouldn't be as BIG a fan of him today, without Albums like; Elvis Country, TTWII,The STAX "trilogy" Today, Moody Blue, Films/shows like: TTWII, Elvis on tour, Aloha and EIC, songs like; MY Way, My Boy, Way Down, Promised Land, Talk about the good times, Burning Love, Separate Ways, Always on my mind, What now my love, Just Pretend, Bridge, The wonder of you, I John, Let it be me, T-R-O-U-B-L-E and about 30-40 more great songs, Tours/concerts; MSG-concert, Hampton Roads, The july 75 tour, the Jan-feb 70 and August 70 shows , Dec 76 tour, the marts 75 tour etc. ALL of this we would have missed if this "Drug addict" hadn't performed in the 70', and IMHO this would have been a great shame !


Totally ridiculous. No drug addict is cool or 'the best'. They are all sad cases to me. Some cleaned up (Cash, Charles, Dion, The Beatles, Clapton), and some didnt (the obvious ones who succumbed to it including Elvis). So no, all is NOT cool for any of the ones who didnt make it. When these artists were on drugs, they certainly werent cool by any means, and their performances suffered. Some looked and acted horribly.


I just don't jugde people just because they have a drug or alchohol problem , in my eyes it is their total personality that makes Them cool . Drug adidction is by many today seen as a kind of sickness (many people with mental problems selfmedicate ) if you look down on those then I think it is you who is sad.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 pm

elvisjock wrote:Chicks dig it.

Yes, we do. Uh, I mean....yes, they do.

I really enjoy hearing it as you go through the gates at Graceland.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:57 pm

alanfalk wrote:
r&b wrote:
alanfalk wrote:
r&b wrote:
alanfalk wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Actually in this thread Joe Car said that tons of people became Elvis fans because of Aloha.

Maybe you should pay more attention.

All the best.


I missed it, such things happen once in a blue moon.

However, I also make the effort to directly quote people when directly responding to a comment. Like, in this post. You rarely do this, and it's either because you have yet to master the quote function, are lazy, don't care, or all three.

My point was, of course, that your condescension was rude, and it was wrong. My missing Joe Car's post (now fixed) doesn't change that a-tall.

All the best.


memphisound wrote:This would be a silly argument because who can tell how many fan's became fans of Elvis because of Aloha. I'm sure he gained fans with the Aloha special and the album like he did with his other tv specials and albums from the past. And to say he didn't is silly. So in that regard what Joe Car says is correct.


What I said! ;-)


Well, if we assume that people Weigh around 65 kilos pr. person (estimate, men/women), then there will be 6.5 tons if he just
gained 100 new fans , I think that is safe to say, that he gained at least that amount :smt002 .
I treasure the big variety we have in the proffesional tv shows ; 68' special, TTWII, On Tour, Aloha and even EIC.
And I won't Even start to name all the "drug addicts" we have/had in show buisness, of those Elvis was by far the coolest and best !


Coolest and best drug addict? What the heck does that even mean? But thanks for the laugh.


Well then a little explanation for the slow :D Ray Charles, Johnny Cash , Jim Morrison, Beatles, Rolling Stones and about 1000 other singers did drugs and/or alcohol in some form or other, and quite a bit of those blues singers I guess you like a lot did too, but when Elvis is using medication he is the devil incarnated and suddenly everyone can hear and see it in every 70' performance (which they often "funny enough" don't care for anyway). And yes I see Elvis as Much Cooler than any of the above (even though I like them all, more or less). And yes I wouldn't be as BIG a fan of him today, without Albums like; Elvis Country, TTWII,The STAX "trilogy" Today, Moody Blue, Films/shows like: TTWII, Elvis on tour, Aloha and EIC, songs like; MY Way, My Boy, Way Down, Promised Land, Talk about the good times, Burning Love, Separate Ways, Always on my mind, What now my love, Just Pretend, Bridge, The wonder of you, I John, Let it be me, T-R-O-U-B-L-E and about 30-40 more great songs, Tours/concerts; MSG-concert, Hampton Roads, The july 75 tour, the Jan-feb 70 and August 70 shows , Dec 76 tour, the marts 75 tour etc. ALL of this we would have missed if this "Drug addict" hadn't performed in the 70', and IMHO this would have been a great shame !


Totally ridiculous. No drug addict is cool or 'the best'. They are all sad cases to me. Some cleaned up (Cash, Charles, Dion, The Beatles, Clapton), and some didnt (the obvious ones who succumbed to it including Elvis). So no, all is NOT cool for any of the ones who didnt make it. When these artists were on drugs, they certainly werent cool by any means, and their performances suffered. Some looked and acted horribly.


I just don't jugde people just because they have a drug or alchohol problem , in my eyes it is their total personality that makes Them cool . Drug adidction is by many today seen as a kind of sickness (many people with mental problems selfmedicate ) if you look down on those then I think it is you who is sad.


Huh? Who is looking down on people with problems? Do you actually read the posts here? I feel sad for them and their situation. Who wouldnt? its not normal to have these issues. Yes, their cases (and whoever has addictions or mental issues) are sad cases in the scope of trying to lead a normal life. geesh!

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:00 am

All this drug drug drug talk. Let's look at the music here and appreciate it for what it was. I'm sure you think Elvis was pretty cool in the late 60's at a time I'm sure Elvis was still using, just cut back regardless. People will choose to discuss what they want, me, I will enjoy the fine music EP left his mark with. Because at the end of the day, that's what its all about IMO.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am

memphisound wrote:This would be a silly argument because who can tell how many fan's became fans of Elvis because of Aloha. I'm sure he gained fans with the Aloha special and the album like he did with his other tv specials and albums from the past. And to say he didn't is silly. So in that regard what Joe Car says is correct.


I became a fan of Elvis not from seeing Aloha but after seeing him in Vegas in August of 73 when I was 12. I saw bits of it but I was busy playing with my cousins because my aunt came over to watch it with my mom. Had I sat and watched it, I may have become a fan sooner but I became a fan because on 73 period Elvis! I always liked Elvis but I didn't become a fan until seeing him live in 73. For anyone who grew up in the 60's and 70's, Elvis was part of our lives. His movies were constantly on T, his music was constantly on the radio and his TV specials were big events whether you were a fan or not.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:11 am

This is the thread that should be deleted, not the one from the other day.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:12 am

Joe Car wrote:This is the thread that should be deleted, not the one from the other day.


We should delete anything that is critical of Elvis in any way! ;-)

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:14 am

eligain wrote:I became a fan because on 73 period Elvis!

What??!! That is preposterous! How dare you admit such a thing?

Don't you know that Elvis stopped moving on stage by 1973 and was singing songs like "Welcome To My World?"

You need to rethink that, mister!

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 am

Rob wrote:What??!! That is preposterous! How dare you admit such a thing?

Don't you know that Elvis stopped moving on stage by 1973 and was singing songs like "Welcome To My World?"

You need to rethink that, mister!


Save a one-liner, only twice in 1973. Thank goodness.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:23 am

poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:poormadpeter, I see where you are coming from, but I just disagree. I feel like besides the obvious throwaways, the voice was there on all cylinders, What Now My Love, I'll Remember You, Burning Love, You Gave Me A Mountain, American Trilogy, Welcome To My World, See See Rider, My Way, It's Over. These were all executed with profession. Now I see where people come at that this was boring, if they are comparing to the years before, because I did the same thing when I first seen it at a very young age. And as I grew older, and appreciated the show, and Elvis professional delivery, I got a new appreciation for it. Though the show was what I would say, to on que, Elvis was not that interactive with the audience, and not much banter with them, but that was because the show was strictly 60 minutes and he had to be on time with each delivery. I always love Aloha, it was one of the few shows I remember being so down to business, besides those 1972 Vegas show's. And your right after all these years its all we have left to do is critique every performance, but I know what Aloha is, and appreciate it for what it is, a fine performance in his the books (not his best no, but pretty damn good) always have and always will. Aloha From Hawaii is alot of things, but dull is not one of them.


It's not to do with the banter or interaction with the audience, it's to do with what appears to be a lack of passion for much of the time. Sure he has his moments, but how can you say Welcome to my World is Elvis firing on all cylinders, for example? It starts off nicely, but then breaks that spell completely as he faffs around with a scarf. And in the last verse in particular, you can hear Elvis struggling to keep in pitch on the long notes at the end of each line. It's not when Elvis is singing at full pelt that the vocal problems occur, but when he's singing quietly - hence why he sang at full pelt so much in the final years; it covers up all kinds of vocal issues.

And we SHOULD be able to compare this to previous years. This is only a few months after MSG and EOT, only 2 and half years after TTWII and only four a half years after the 68 comeback. I have no problem with the Vegasisation (that's my new word) of Elvis, it's the fact that he is on autopilot for much of the time...and would be even more so when he got to Vegas a week or so later.


There really is no spell to be broken with "Welcome to My World". It's a nice song (I've always enjoyed it) but it isn't meant to be intense or deep and his "faffing" around with his scarf was (like it or not) part of his act by then. I think the last verse is fine.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:29 am

eligain wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisound wrote:poormadpeter, I see where you are coming from, but I just disagree. I feel like besides the obvious throwaways, the voice was there on all cylinders, What Now My Love, I'll Remember You, Burning Love, You Gave Me A Mountain, American Trilogy, Welcome To My World, See See Rider, My Way, It's Over. These were all executed with profession. Now I see where people come at that this was boring, if they are comparing to the years before, because I did the same thing when I first seen it at a very young age. And as I grew older, and appreciated the show, and Elvis professional delivery, I got a new appreciation for it. Though the show was what I would say, to on que, Elvis was not that interactive with the audience, and not much banter with them, but that was because the show was strictly 60 minutes and he had to be on time with each delivery. I always love Aloha, it was one of the few shows I remember being so down to business, besides those 1972 Vegas show's. And your right after all these years its all we have left to do is critique every performance, but I know what Aloha is, and appreciate it for what it is, a fine performance in his the books (not his best no, but pretty damn good) always have and always will. Aloha From Hawaii is alot of things, but dull is not one of them.


It's not to do with the banter or interaction with the audience, it's to do with what appears to be a lack of passion for much of the time. Sure he has his moments, but how can you say Welcome to my World is Elvis firing on all cylinders, for example? It starts off nicely, but then breaks that spell completely as he faffs around with a scarf. And in the last verse in particular, you can hear Elvis struggling to keep in pitch on the long notes at the end of each line. It's not when Elvis is singing at full pelt that the vocal problems occur, but when he's singing quietly - hence why he sang at full pelt so much in the final years; it covers up all kinds of vocal issues.

And we SHOULD be able to compare this to previous years. This is only a few months after MSG and EOT, only 2 and half years after TTWII and only four a half years after the 68 comeback. I have no problem with the Vegasisation (that's my new word) of Elvis, it's the fact that he is on autopilot for much of the time...and would be even more so when he got to Vegas a week or so later.


There really is no spell to be broken with "Welcome to My World". It's a nice song (I've always enjoyed it) but it isn't meant to be intense or deep and his "faffing" around with his scarf was (like it or not) part of his act by then. I think the last verse is fine.


When he started giving out scarves is when the concerts became more an event than a concert. More songs got thrown away with the scarves being tossed out. More concentration was given to the toss than the song.

Re: ALOHA..HawA-IIII..USAAAAAAAAA

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 am

midnightx wrote:
alanfalk wrote:Well then a little explanation for the slow :D Ray Charles, Johnny Cash , Jim Morrison, Beatles, Rolling Stones and about 1000 other singers did drugs and/or alcohol in some form or other, and quite a bit of those blues singers I guess you like a lot did too, but when Elvis is using medication he is the devil incarnated and suddenly everyone can hear and see it in every 70' performance (which they often "funny enough" don't care for anyway).

Are you insinuating the fan-bases of those other artists you mention believe those artists were infallible during the phases in which they abused drugs? That is one of oddest assertions Elvis apologists make. They act as if Elvis is being unfairly targeted due to his drug abuse, and that other well-known musicians who also abused drugs are somehow celebrated for their actions. No serious Doors fan believes Morrison was generally performing well in 1970. No serious, informed Led Zeppelin fan will assert Jimmy Page played wonderfully on heroin during the band's 1975/1977 U.S. shows. No well-informed Rolling Stones fan will proclaim Keith Richards was at his best during the mid-70s. And feel free to point out some of Elvis' finer moments from the '70s as a misguided argument that his drug abuse wasn't so severe that it negatively impacted the entire period, so, therefore one should accept the inferior moments because without them, there would not have been the good ones either. Most fans will agree that the MSG concerts are exciting and fun, that the spring 1972 On Tour shows were of high quality, that his work in Las Vegas during 1970 was mostly tremendous, that Elvis Country was a good record, etc. But there was a lot of substandard work done between 1970 and 1977 -- and the deterioration of Elvis' live work from 1973 thru 1977 was spiraling downward at an alarming pace due mostly to drug addiction. You also assume that fans who acknowledge the impact Elvis' drug abuse had on his live show are simply doing so because they don't like that period of Elvis' work to begin with -- again, a very misguided assertion.


Stop using the word, "misguided". You over use it. Stop.

Southpark: "Drugs are bad for you kids, they're bad".